Ping Gummer: Q on rotary hammers, hex vs. SDS

Grokman Grokman

Jul 28, 2015, 8:57:24 AM7/28/15

Why did rotary hammer bits go from hex to SDS?
Seems like change for profit$ sake, but maybe there's a real reason.
Other dickless sages, like the worthless Whoyakidding and his castradi posse, are of course free to (worthlessly) chime in.

Ed Huntress

Jul 28, 2015, 9:46:05 AM7/28/15
They're far more efficient for hammering, because the hammer drill
doesn't have to accelerate the chuck.

There were earlier types of sliding-shank bits, but SDS was the first
one that was really well engineered. They came out at about the time I
started at _American Machinist_, and I wrote a fairly long item about
them around that time, with performance data and comments from pros
who started using them.

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner Asch

Jul 28, 2015, 1:06:54 PM7/28/15
On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 05:57:20 -0700 (PDT), Grokman Grokman
<fit...@optonline.net> wrote:

A very good question indeed. No idea whatsoever. Ive got only (1)
functional SDS drill and it could have been a hex with no issues.

Gunner

Bob La Londe

Jul 28, 2015, 1:30:40 PM7/28/15
"Grokman Grokman" <fit...@optonline.net> wrote in message
I wonder. My medium duty rotary hammer is SDS, and my heavier one is spline
drive. My dad's eletric jack hammer (heavier still) is hex.

Larry Jaques

Jul 28, 2015, 9:16:03 PM7/28/15
On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 10:05:58 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Dunno. I've never had an SDS driver. It may have been for the
retention, though. How are the hex bits retained?

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess