lott-police-commit-more-gun-crimes-concealed-carry-permit-holders

raykeller

Jun 15, 2017, 7:44:38 PM6/15/17

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/05/27/lott-police-commit-more-gun-crimes-concealed-carry-permit-holders/

lott-police-commit-more-gun-crimes-concealed-carry-permit-holders

by AWR Hawkins27 May 2017365

Crime Prevention Research Center's (CPRC) John Lott points out that police
are convicted of gun crime at a higher rate than permit holders.
Lott's assessment is not for the purpose of disparaging police. Instead, it
is to show that concealed carry permit holders are among the most
law-abiding citizens, and their armed presence on campus is a deterrent,
rather than a cause for concern.

Writing in the Hill's May 26 column, Lott highlights the left's claims that
concealed carry permit holders make college campuses less safe. He points
out that the left has reacted to proposed campus carry legislation in state
after state by warning that armed, law-abiding citizens on campus would make
classrooms and universities more dangerous. But the danger has not
materialized, even though campus carry has been in effect in some states for
14 years.

For example, it has been the law in Colorado since 2003 and in Utah since
2004. It has become law in numerous other states since then, including
Arkansas and Georgia this year.

But where are the crimes? The Wild West shootouts? The bullets whistling
through the air on campus carry campuses? These are no where to be found
because concealed carry permit holders are generally not criminals.

Lott explains that the left opposed shall-issue concealed carry when it
began to sweep the country in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and they used
the same arguments then that they use now when decrying arming law-abiding
citizens for self-defense on campus. They largely argue that only trained
law-enforcement should be armed on campus. They intimate that allowing
students to be armed will only lead to a more dangerous campus setting.

Lott counters, "Permits have been revoked for firearms-related violations at
rates of thousandths of one percentage point. Civilian permit holders are
less likely than police officers to be convicted of a firearms violation."

He links to a CPRC study that shows that from January 1, 2005, through
December 31, 2007, the yearly rate of misdemeanors and felonies by full-time
police officers was .102 percent. The yearly rate for Texas' concealed carry
permit holders in the year 2015, the year campus carry was signed into law
in that state, was .0102 percent.

Lott then shows that from January 1, 2005, through December 31, 2007, the
yearly rate for firearms violations was .017 percent. The yearly rate for
Texas' concealed carry permit holders in 2015 was .0024 percent.

Mary W. Moffat

Jun 15, 2017, 8:24:30 PM6/15/17
On 6/15/2017 4:44 PM, raykeller wrote:
> http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/05/27/lott-police-commit-more-gun-crimes-concealed-carry-permit-holders/
>
> lott-police-commit-more-gun-crimes-concealed-carry-permit-holders
>
> by AWR Hawkins27 May 2017365
>
> Crime Prevention Research Center's (CPRC) John Lott points out that police
> are convicted of gun crime at a higher rate than permit holders.
> Lott's assessment is not for the purpose of disparaging police. Instead, it
> is to show that concealed carry permit holders are among the most
> law-abiding citizens, and their armed presence on campus is a deterrent,
> rather than a cause for concern.

John Lott is about to publish a paper showing that a good guy with a
baseball bat is no match for a bad guy with a gun.

bob.el...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2017, 2:53:49 AM7/16/17

bob.el...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2017, 3:10:15 AM7/16/17
On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 6:44:38 PM UTC-5, raykeller wrote:
I would bet that as a nation as a whole, that local city police officers and county law enforcement officers, including past officers that have been terminated or quit law enforcement. Have double the felony convictions of that of the average American citizen. I'm sure it would be much higher, If it was not for the good ole boys system