Tent Cities Grow in Major U.S. Cities, as Poverty, Homelessness Soar

Gunner Asch

Oct 12, 2016, 6:27:08 PM10/12/16
Tent Cities Grow in Major U.S. Cities, as Poverty, Homelessness Soar

Sept. 12, 2016 (EIRNS)—Homeless encampments and tent cities are
cropping up in most major U.S. cities, due to economic disintegration
which leads to higher rates of poverty, unemployment and homelessness.
According to The Economic Collapse blog, there are currently half a
million homeless in the U.S., but the number is increasing on a daily
basis.

The proliferation of tent cities in such major cities as Washington,
D.C., Seattle, and St. Louis reflects the worsening situation. In
California, the homelessness rate is so high that the Los Angeles City
Council has asked Gov. Jerry Brown to officially declare a state of
emergency. Portland, Oregon has extended its "homeless emergency" for
another year.

The creation of tent cities is "booming" in many locations, according
to this report, and local officials have no means to deal with the
problem. Often, residents are ordered to take down their tents and
leave—with nowhere else to go.

The plight of children is particularly dire. The Economic Collapse
blog, citing its own archives, reported that since 2008, the number of
homeless children has risen by 60%. "Poverty USA" adds that at some
point over the last year, 1.6 million children slept either in a
homeless shelter or in some other form of emergency housing. Obama
calls this a "recovery."

In 27 major U.S. cities, large tent cities have become so well
established that they have their own names—Camp Hope in Las Cruces,
New Mexico; Camp Take Notice in Ann Arbor, Michigan; Safe Ground in
Sacramento, California, and The Jungle, in San Jose, California, are
just a few.

The Economic Collapse blog warns that as the economic "downturn"
continues to accelerate, "our homelessness boom is going to spiral out
of control. Pretty soon, there will be tent cities in virtually every
community in America."

---

james g. keegan jr.

Oct 12, 2016, 7:01:47 PM10/12/16
On 10/12/2016 3:26 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> Tent Cities Grow in Major U.S. Cities, as Poverty, Homelessness Soar
>
> Sept. 12, 2016 (EIRNS)—Homeless encampments and tent cities are
> cropping up in most major U.S. cities, due to economic disintegration

http://www.larouchepub.com/pr/2016/160912_tent_cities.html

gummer got this from a Lyndon Larouche site. It's bullshit.

rbowman

Oct 12, 2016, 9:24:23 PM10/12/16
On 10/12/2016 05:01 PM, james g. keegan jr. wrote:

> gummer got this from a Lyndon Larouche site. It's bullshit.

http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2016/02/americas-tent-cities-for-the-homeless/462450/

"Though the overall number of homeless people in the United States has
been in a slow decline in recent years, homelessness has risen sharply
in larger cities."

You like it better from your favorite Clinton loving rag? Obama is so
great for the economy only half a million people are living on the street.

Red Prepper

Oct 12, 2016, 10:38:05 PM10/12/16
On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 19:24:33 -0600, rbowman <bow...@montana.com>
wrote:
Tent cites have popped up under many underpasses in Chicago over the
last two or three years. They were more localized near the lakeshore
parks but lately they have broken some of those tent cities up at the
request of the new owners of buildings on those areas.

I heard at least one story of the mayor closing a school, and selling
the building a year later when he thought nobody would notice. The
new owner complained to the mayor about the nearby tent city. The
cops scattered the tent city citizens, and now they can be found in
much smaller O'boovervilles scattered around Chicago's underpasses.
The underpass under the Kennedy expressway near Fullerton and Western
is a good example.

PaxPerPoten

Oct 13, 2016, 12:35:12 AM10/13/16
The Homeless population is climbing exponentially. My City has built
modern safe complexes for the and also the Churches such as the
Catholics, have done the same. On completion they are immediately filled
with long lines left in the cold.. Detox centers and the Jails are used
for the cold weather refuges for them...Also the Public libraries and
mcDonalds are packed. Many folks have opened their basements for
bunkhouses. So James G Keegan...It appears you are heartless and full of
shit!

ages who mean to govern well, but *They mean to govern*. They promise to
be good masters, *but they mean to be masters*. Daniel Webster