What is it? (Amateur Version POST05)

lef...@hotmail.com

Apr 17, 2015, 10:20:12 PM4/17/15
Here is the fifth tool post in the series. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move (although for these four, they each move as a single unit). Pictures are provide via dropbox. There is one composite image per tool.

POST05_TOOL17
This is a metal tool approximately 8 inches long. The handle is a metal tube but covered in red rubbery plastic.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bftew6dc29w58eu/POST05_TOOL17_PICALL.JPG?dl=0

POST05_TOOL18
This metal and wood tool is approximately 11 inches long. The smaller bent part is 2 inches long. It ends in a triangular point which is not sharp.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7wxzw7l6x8og5c/POST05_TOOL18_PICALL.JPG?dl=0

POST05_TOOL19
This wooden tool is approximately 7 inches long. Obviously in the hammer family, the material is noticeably less dense and less hard than an avergage piece of wood but not to the extreme of say balsa. Its total weight is approximately 2 ounces.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcva69uj5sirtgu/POST05_TOOL19_PICALL.JPG?dl=0

POST05_TOOL20
This is a steel tool approximately 7 1/2 inches long with a 3 1/2 inch cross piece. The cross piece is fixed in position. The end of the tool is tapered and has 1/2-inch long slit up the middle. The slit passes through what would be a hole 1/8 of inch in diameter at its midpoint. The slit has very little give, that is, it would take a lot of force to widen or narrow it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9s849v48eb9hol/POST05_TOOL20_PICALL.JPG?dl=0

L. Flynn

lef...@hotmail.com

Apr 25, 2015, 7:13:24 AM4/25/15
I only have answers for three of the four.

POST05_TOOL17
This is a metal tool approximately 8 inches long. The handle is a metal tube but covered in red rubbery plastic.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bftew6dc29w58eu/POST05_TOOL17_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
I do not know what this tool is. My first thought on seeing it was that it was a novelty Giant Bottle Opener but it is overdesigned as it is a strong steel tool with a good quality grip/cover. It could obviously be used to pry covers off of something (perhaps buckets) but the dimensions are not like other examples I've found.

POST05_TOOL18
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7wxzw7l6x8og5c/POST05_TOOL18_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
I think that this is a single-tine gardening hand tool in the class of hand tillers, harrows and cultivators, although I have not found a perfect match. It is not a weeder as there is no cutting edge.
http://www.portwings.com/107079-garden-hand-tools
http://www.howlandtools.com/store/p/184-Ashfield-Single-Tine-Harrow.html

POST05_TOOL19
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcva69uj5sirtgu/POST05_TOOL19_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
This is a crab hammer. Similar to these seen here
http://www.poultryscience.org/psa08/auction/KnifeHammers.JPG

POST05_TOOL20
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9s849v48eb9hol/POST05_TOOL20_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
I have two possibilities for this tool. I think that the hole makes it more likely that it is a Clockmaker's Wire Bender than a typewriter repair T-Bender Key Straightener but you can look at these and decide for yourself.
http://www.rnhorological.co.uk/images/Clockmakers%20Tools/IMGA3012T-S588%20RN.jpg
http://www.rnhorological.co.uk/clockmakers_tools.htm -- Search for "wire bender"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYXLOdzJ_lE
http://www.maritime.org/doc/typewriter/index.htm -- Page 38 #42 T-Bender, with large size slot