Canadian sniper sets world record with 2.2-mile pickoff of ISIS fighter

rangerssuck

Jun 22, 2017, 11:45:53 PM6/22/17
https://goo.gl/Gu7xc7

A Canadian sniper set what appears to be a record, picking off an ISIS fighter from some 2.2 miles away, and disrupting a potentially deadly operation by the terror group in Iraq.

Shooting experts say the fatal shot at a world-record distance of 11,316 feet underscores how stunningly sophisticated military snipers are becoming. The feat, pulled off by a special forces sniper from Canada’s Joint Task Force 2, smashed the previous distance record for successful sniper shots by some 3,280 feet, a record set by a British sniper.

The new record was set using a McMillan TAC-50, a .50-caliber weapon and the largest shoulder-fired firearm in existence.

The McMillan TAC-50 is a .50-caliber weapon, and the largest shoulder-fired firearm in existence (McMillan Firearms)
While officials would not say where the shot took place, the statement noted the command "provides its expertise to Iraqi security force to detect, identify and defeat Daesh activities from well behind the Iraqi security force front line in Mosul."

Ryan Cleckner, a former U.S. Army Ranger sniper who served two tours of duty in Afghanistan and wrote the authoritative “Long Range Shooting Handbook,” called the feat an “incredible” accomplishment, one that owes as much if not more to the spotter’s expertise than the shooter's skill.

“The spotter would have had to successfully calculate five factors: distance, wind, atmospheric conditions and the speed of the earth’s rotation at their latitude,” Cleckner told Fox News.

“Because wind speed and direction would vary over the two miles the bullet traveled, the true challenge here was being able to calculate the actual wind speed and direction all the way to the target.”

Atmospheric conditions also would have posed a huge challenge for the spotter.

Cleckner said that while the ammunition that Canadian special forces use in the TAC-50 is “off-the-charts powerful,” with some 13,000 foot-pounds of force when it comes out of the muzzle, the speed of a bullet, a 750-grain Hornady round, is not as important as the aerodynamic efficiency of the bullet.

“The key to having a sniper round travel that far and hit a small target has less to do with speed and more to do with the efficiency with which the projectile moves through the air,” he said.

That’s because while sniper bullets exit the muzzle at several times the speed of sound they eventually slow down to less than the speed of sound, and at that point they become less stable. An efficiently designed bullet reduces that instability, he explained.

Dennis Santiago, California-based firearms expert and instructor, said the partnership between the spotter and the shooter is critical.

"Equipment is just a starting point. The shooter on a military team will surely be skilled enough to hold hard on the 'aimpoint' and fire the shot accurately," he told Fox News. "The spotter member of the sniper team is responsible for telling the shooter the precise moment the atmospherics align with the calculations they've made. When it comes together, it's 'mission accomplished'."

rangerssuck

Jun 22, 2017, 11:47:17 PM6/22/17
On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 11:45:53 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:
> https://goo.gl/Gu7xc7
>
> A Canadian sniper set what appears to be a record, picking off an ISIS fighter from some 2.2 miles away, and disrupting a potentially deadly operation by the terror group in Iraq.

Gunner could have done it blindfolded with a pistol.

Jon Elson

Jun 23, 2017, 2:57:26 PM6/23/17
rangerssuck wrote:

> The new record was set using a McMillan TAC-50, a .50-caliber weapon and
> the largest shoulder-fired firearm in existence.
Anybody who actually shoulder fires this thing has got to be nuts! It is
almost identical in size and weight to the Barrett M107, although the
projectile might be a little lighter. I can't imagine what the kick would
be like.

Jon

rangerssuck

Jun 23, 2017, 5:02:32 PM6/23/17
I was thinking along those lines. I'm no gun expert, but I wonder how much recoil is absorbed by the bipod.

David Billington

Jun 23, 2017, 5:19:40 PM6/23/17
Note here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMillan_Tac-50 that a variant
exists with a hydraulic recoil absorber to help with that issue.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jun 23, 2017, 5:42:16 PM6/23/17
On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:57:41 -0500, Jon Elson <jme...@wustl.edu>
wrote:
It comes with it's own built-in sniper tripod - and NO WAY you'd get
the required accuracy shoulder fired from a standing or even crouched
position. I'm thinking sandbags. It weighs about 35 lbs all kitted
out.
Not a bad recoil, considering it's caliber apparently.

Jon Elson

Jun 23, 2017, 6:47:40 PM6/23/17
There are some videos of US Marines firing the Barrett M107, which fires an
armor-piercing round, designed to disable light vehicles. It has the barrel
mounted on a recoil system, which also operates the (semi?)-auto action.
The kick on that doesn't seem to be too bad, but I think it makes it a total
waste to fire off more than one round at a time. The barrel moves back
about an inch on the Barrett, which may be the whole secret to handling the
kick. Firing a heavy, .50 cal projectile at high velocity has to produce a
lot of recoil. The McMillan seems to have some kind of system in the
shoulder rest that maybe does the same, and I guess it doesn't affect the
accuracy.

Well, it is good that the good guys have these things where they need them.

Jon

gray_wolf

Jun 23, 2017, 11:28:13 PM6/23/17
Wiki says "it is fitted with an effective muzzle brake to reduce recoil."
effective muzzle brake to reduce recoil.

Neon John

Jun 24, 2017, 11:28:19 AM6/24/17
On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 22:28:11 -0500, gray_wolf <g_w...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>On 6/23/2017 4:42 PM, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:57:41 -0500, Jon Elson <jme...@wustl.edu>
>> wrote:

There is a website made by a custom gunsmith who built a rifle to fire
a 20mm cannon round. Also a youtube video of him firing it.

>>> Anybody who actually shoulder fires this thing has got to be nuts! It is
>>> almost identical in size and weight to the Barrett M107, although the
>>> projectile might be a little lighter. I can't imagine what the kick would
>>> be like.

I bought the first generation McMillan shortly after it came out and
was still reasonably affordable (about $5k). The barrel was fixed.

The recoil isn't bad. My .300 Win Mag kicks harder. Two things at
work. First, the powder is very slow burning so the acceleration
reaction is spread out over time. Second, the muzzle brake works
really well. The result is the recoil is more of a push rather than a
slap like the .300 Win-mag.

One of the dumb things I've done in my life was selling that rifle.
I've regretted it ever since.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Gunner Asch

Jun 25, 2017, 2:36:51 AM6/25/17
Thanks for the compliment, but no..I couldnt.

Nor could the Canuk.

---

Gunner Asch

Jun 25, 2017, 2:42:34 AM6/25/17
On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:57:41 -0500, Jon Elson <jme...@wustl.edu>
wrote:

Its not the largest. That is either the Soloturn or the Bofer 20mm

The kick on the 50s arent bad...like a 12ga Mag. The recoil reducing
muzzlebreaks work rather well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXEK7rcqO-Y

6 shots.. .98 second start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHTsaCo03Q&t=81s

Gunner Asch

Jun 25, 2017, 2:46:49 AM6/25/17
On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:57:41 -0500, Jon Elson <jme...@wustl.edu>
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQMYb70QJ8

Gunner Asch

Jun 25, 2017, 2:47:28 AM6/25/17
Just about none.

Bipods of that nature dont absorb recoil.

Gunner Asch

Jun 25, 2017, 3:04:16 AM6/25/17
On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:57:41 -0500, Jon Elson <jme...@wustl.edu>
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN_JI9kZ9gQ

This is the 375 Cheytac

4384 yrds

If you notice the angle of the barrel...pay attention to the angle of
the scope. Its over 40 degrees. When looking through the scope..if
you are lucky..the muzzle of the barrel isnt covering the crosshair

The .375 CheyTac
Rifles or cartridges designed for military use often find their way
into the civilian world. Several cartridges using the .408 case have
been developed for civilian use. Generally, they are a bit less
expensive, produce less recoil and are commercially available. The
.375 CheyTac is one of these variants, and it remains one of the most
popular. Several companies are chambering rifles for this cartridge,
and both ammunition and loading components are available. The .375
CheyTac retains most of the long-range characteristics of the .408
without some of the drawbacks. Bullet weights are generally around 350
grains. Muzzle velocity is around 3,000 fps, with some a bit higher.
BCs are generally .878 or higher, providing very flat trajectories.
Ballistics rival and even exceed the .408’s, making it very promising
for those shooting at very long distances. According to most charts,
this cartridge remains supersonic out to 2,000 yards and beyond
depending on the load and conditions. A recent test of this cartridge
in Utah resulted in supersonic flight out to 2,500 yards. It also
yielded sub-MOA accuracy at 3,080 yards! Recoil is noticeably less
than the .408 and even the .50 BMG, making it much more usable for
most recreational shooters…

Larry Jaques

Jun 25, 2017, 10:29:39 AM6/25/17
On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 23:42:30 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:57:41 -0500, Jon Elson <jme...@wustl.edu>
>wrote:
>
>>rangerssuck wrote:
>>

>>> The new record was set using a McMillan TAC-50, a .50-caliber weapon and
>>> the largest shoulder-fired firearm in existence.
>>Anybody who actually shoulder fires this thing has got to be nuts! It is
>>almost identical in size and weight to the Barrett M107, although the
>>projectile might be a little lighter. I can't imagine what the kick would
>>be like.
>>
>>Jon
>
>Its not the largest. That is either the Soloturn or the Bofer 20mm
>
>The kick on the 50s arent bad...like a 12ga Mag. The recoil reducing
>muzzlebreaks work rather well.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXEK7rcqO-Y
>
>6 shots.. .98 second start to finish.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHTsaCo03Q&t=81s

Helluva guy, that Jerry. Kudos.

--
The Federal budget is a complex document. However, working
for a President committed to keeping his promises means my

Larry Jaques

Jun 25, 2017, 10:34:34 AM6/25/17
On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 23:46:45 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:57:41 -0500, Jon Elson <jme...@wustl.edu>
>wrote:
>
>>rangerssuck wrote:
>>

>>> The new record was set using a McMillan TAC-50, a .50-caliber weapon and
>>> the largest shoulder-fired firearm in existence.
>>Anybody who actually shoulder fires this thing has got to be nuts! It is
>>almost identical in size and weight to the Barrett M107, although the
>>projectile might be a little lighter. I can't imagine what the kick would
>>be like.
>>
>>Jon
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQMYb70QJ8

UFR!

Fred Wingo

Jun 25, 2017, 3:37:40 PM6/25/17
On 6/24/2017 11:36 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 20:47:15 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
> <range...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 11:45:53 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:
>>> https://goo.gl/Gu7xc7
>>>
>>> A Canadian sniper set what appears to be a record, picking off an ISIS fighter from some 2.2 miles away, and disrupting a potentially deadly operation by the terror group in Iraq.
>>
>> Gunner could have done it blindfolded with a pistol.
>

> Thanks for the compliment, but no..I couldnt.

You can't shoot a coyote in the head using a handgun at 75 yards, either.

> Nor could the Canuk.

The Canadian did, of course, shoot the ISIS fighter at a distance of
over two miles. You couldn't do that.

I never lie [sic]. Its not in my nature. Of course, while I AM a
Democrat..
Mark Wieber
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.california/bzyURE1njyc/lIENeDD19Z4J

<chuckle>

Fred Wingo

Jun 25, 2017, 3:41:52 PM6/25/17
On 6/25/2017 12:04 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:57:41 -0500, Jon Elson <jme...@wustl.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> rangerssuck wrote:
>>

>>> The new record was set using a McMillan TAC-50, a .50-caliber weapon and
>>> the largest shoulder-fired firearm in existence.
>> Anybody who actually shoulder fires this thing has got to be nuts! It is
>> almost identical in size and weight to the Barrett M107, although the
>> projectile might be a little lighter. I can't imagine what the kick would
>> be like.
>>
>> Jon
>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN_JI9kZ9gQ

Cute. Took him several shots. The Canadian sniper didn't have that luxury.

Larry Jaques

Jun 25, 2017, 5:15:06 PM6/25/17
On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 23:47:24 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 14:02:28 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
><range...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Anybody who actually shoulder fires this thing has got to be nuts! It is
>>> almost identical in size and weight to the Barrett M107, although the
>>> projectile might be a little lighter. I can't imagine what the kick would
>>> be like.
>>>
>>> Jon
>>
>>I was thinking along those lines. I'm no gun expert, but I wonder how much recoil is absorbed by the bipod.
>
>Just about none.
>
>Bipods of that nature dont absorb recoil.

Watching Jerry offhand that M107, it doesn't look like there is much
recoil. Watching prone Marines on Youtube makes it look worse.
I'll bet an old Mosin Nagant kicks worse. No hydraulic relief. :)

Gunner Asch

Jun 25, 2017, 6:49:31 PM6/25/17
On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 14:15:03 -0700, Larry Jaques
<lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 23:47:24 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 14:02:28 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
>><range...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>I was thinking along those lines. I'm no gun expert, but I wonder how much recoil is absorbed by the bipod.
>>
>>Just about none.
>>
>>Bipods of that nature dont absorb recoil.
>
>Watching Jerry offhand that M107, it doesn't look like there is much
>recoil. Watching prone Marines on Youtube makes it look worse.
>I'll bet an old Mosin Nagant kicks worse. No hydraulic relief. :)

Ayup. When you watch the slow mo sections..you can see the barrel
sliding into the action and then back out again, as part of the
locking/unlocking and recoil reduction effects.

The bolt action single shot 50s Ive been allowed to play with..were
much stouter in recoil than is the Barrett