Fudgepacker Democrat Senate Confirms Eric Fanning, First Openly Gay Dicksucker Leader Of Military Service

1 view

Michael

May 28, 2016, 2:51:50 AM5/28/16
The Senate confirmed the nomination of Eric Fanning to the
position of Army secretary, making him the first openly gay
leader of a U.S. military service.

The confirmation comes eight months after President Obama
nominated Fanning to the position.

"The voice vote approval Tuesday came after Sen. Pat Roberts, R-
Kan., dropped his opposition to Fanning after a senior Pentagon
official told him that no detainees held at Guantanamo Bay,
Cuba, would be sent to the Army prison at Fort Leavenworth,
Kansas, or other facilities in the United States," The
Associated Press reports.

As the Two-Way previously reported, "Fanning has held numerous
military posts in the Obama administration including special
assistant to Secretary of Defense Ash Carter, acting secretary
of the Air Force, and deputy undersecretary of the Navy."

"Eric brings many years of proven experience and exceptional
leadership to this new role," Obama said in a statement when he
nominated Fanning. "I am grateful for his commitment to our men
and women in uniform, and I am confident he will help lead
America's Soldiers with distinction. I look forward to working
with Eric to keep our Army the very best in the world."

The Two-Way also reported on Fanning's experience with the
Pentagon as an openly gay man:

"In a Defense Department statement in July, Fanning said he came
out as gay in 1993 and talked about how attitudes at the DOD
have changed in recent decades.

" 'There is a much larger community out there that is looking
for opportunities to show its support of us — that's certainly
been my experience as I've come out in my professional network,
and it's picking up steam,' Fanning said. 'It's gone from
tolerance to acceptance to embrace.'

"The nomination is the latest in a series of policy changes and
appointments the Obama administration has made that advance the
rights of LGBT people in the government. In addition to
extending federal benefits to same-sex couples and repealing
"don't ask, don't tell," which allowed gays to serve openly in
the military, last month, Obama announced the hiring of the
first openly transgender White House staffer."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-
way/2016/05/17/478456199/senate-confirms-eric-fanning-first-
openly-gay-leader-of-military-service