Ever have one of those flat tires.....

Gunner Asch

Dec 11, 2017, 9:22:53 AM12/11/17
Worked over late Sunday at a job in So Cal, and headed home about 5pm.
I was on the 5 freeway..just at the 710 interchange and there was a
sudden BOOM!! and dust and shit blew up all around me. The van
started to sway and shudder as I eased it off the road to a very
narrow shoulder and got out to look what had happened.

The new (< 2000 miles) tire Id installed a couple weeks ago..had shed
the entire steel belt, beat the fuck out of my wheel well..ripped out
the plastic liner, tore out all the computer wiring, launched the
headlight out into 5 lanes of traffic (which lodged under a car in
another lane) and killed ALL the electrical to the vehicle instantly.
I had to have the van towed the 90+ miles to my front door and I
arrived about 10pm.

So today..Ive got to figure out what needs to be spliced back
together, what can be pieced back together by getting harness parts
from the wrecking yard..unwrapping wiring from the front
axle..install another drivers side headlight assembly from said
wrecking yard and so on and so forth. And putting the fender back in
place...

Ive NEVER seen this sort of thing happen before.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r5Yt0A5XM1HFlDAC3

More photos today after the sun comes up

That photo was taken on the shoulder..too much traffic to walk out in
the lane and shoot a couple photos..

Thank Crom I was only doing about 50ish..if Id been up to 70+...I may
not have been able to control it.

Ive had a number of flat tires in my 50 yrs of driving..but never one
that has done this much damage before. Daaayaam!!

The people I bought that tire from..are going to be getting a visit as
well.....grrrrrrr!!!

One of the problems..the power windows are down about 4 inches..and
being electrically dead..cant get em back up. So Im having to go out
and check it periodically, because of all the homeless thieves running
the street. Grrrrr again.

I just chased the crazy mexican who lives across the street away from
it. Him I may have to 3S one of these days..unfortunately he is
fucking bug nuts..big as a bus and agressive.

Gunner

---

S. @tw.net George Schmid

Dec 11, 2017, 10:41:10 AM12/11/17
On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 06:22:47 -0800, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>The new (< 2000 miles) tire Id installed a couple weeks ago..had shed
>the entire steel belt, beat the fuck out of my wheel well..ripped out
>the plastic liner, tore out all the computer wiring, launched the
>headlight out into 5 lanes of traffic (which lodged under a car in
>another lane) and killed ALL the electrical to the vehicle instantly.

Happens all the time. Usually to people who don't notice they're
driving on a low tire. Too bad you didn't buy a TPM setup. Would have
been a better investment than machetes, etc.

>Ive NEVER seen this sort of thing happen before.

LOL

>The people I bought that tire from..are going to be getting a visit as
>well.....grrrrrrr!!!

If you had road hazard insurance, you'll get a new tire. If you stomp
your feet and scream enough about all the other damage, they may give
you a coffee mug or a cap or something with their name on it.

>One of the problems..the power windows are down about 4 inches..and
>being electrically dead..cant get em back up. So Im having to go out
>and check it periodically, because of all the homeless thieves running
>the street. Grrrrr again.
>
>I just chased the crazy mexican who lives across the street away from
>it. Him I may have to 3S one of these days..unfortunately he is
>fucking bug nuts..big as a bus and agressive.

Another day in conservative paradise. Today, like so many other days,
you wrote another death wish. "It will kill most of them. Which is a
very good thing" Have you ever wondered about karma, and your wishing
death on so many people?

Bob La Londe

Dec 11, 2017, 1:41:04 PM12/11/17
I've had trailer tires come apart like that and do a lot of damage
including shredding fiberglass fenders or bending up the edges of sheet
metal fenders. I've personally never had that much damage from a car or
truck tires, but my dad had a Michelin come apart and do a lot of damage
to his Bronco like that once. Destroyed the fender well and ripped out
the gas filler.

Gunner Asch

Dec 11, 2017, 1:41:21 PM12/11/17
On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 07:41:06 -0800, George Schmid <G. S. @tw.net>
wrote:
Have you ever wondered how long you will live if someone ever gets
serious about the bullshit you post?

Not long Richard...not long at all.

Gunner Asch

Dec 11, 2017, 1:41:57 PM12/11/17
wrote:

>So today..Ive got to figure out what needs to be spliced back
>together, what can be pieced back together by getting harness parts
>from the wrecking yard..unwrapping wiring from the front
>axle..install another drivers side headlight assembly from said
>wrecking yard and so on and so forth. And putting the fender back in
>place...
>
>Ive NEVER seen this sort of thing happen before.
>
>https://photos.app.goo.gl/r5Yt0A5XM1HFlDAC3

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ikd6KP2UeN61g3pA3

A hell of a mess.

Kentucky Avenue

Dec 11, 2017, 3:29:57 PM12/11/17
On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 10:41:54 -0800, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 06:22:47 -0800, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>

>>So today..Ive got to figure out what needs to be spliced back
>>together, what can be pieced back together by getting harness parts
>>from the wrecking yard..unwrapping wiring from the front
>>axle..install another drivers side headlight assembly from said
>>wrecking yard and so on and so forth. And putting the fender back in
>>place...
>>
>>Ive NEVER seen this sort of thing happen before.
>>
>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/r5Yt0A5XM1HFlDAC3
>

>https://photos.app.goo.gl/ikd6KP2UeN61g3pA3
>

>A hell of a mess.

Must be fun working out on the street. Too bad you don't have a nice
shop like we do here at the insane asylum and in my mom's basement.

Will you be sleeping in that junker van tonight so you can fend off
your wonderful conservative neighbors you've bragged about?

Kentucky Avenue

Dec 11, 2017, 3:34:27 PM12/11/17
On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 10:41:17 -0800, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
About a decade, so far, tough guy. Why pretend you'll do tomorrow what
you can pretend to do today? <chuckle>

Richard

Michael A Terrell

Dec 11, 2017, 4:31:12 PM12/11/17
Gunner Asch wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 06:22:47 -0800, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> So today..Ive got to figure out what needs to be spliced back
>> together, what can be pieced back together by getting harness parts
>>from the wrecking yard..unwrapping wiring from the front
>> axle..install another drivers side headlight assembly from said
>> wrecking yard and so on and so forth. And putting the fender back in
>> place...
>>
>> Ive NEVER seen this sort of thing happen before.
>>
>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/r5Yt0A5XM1HFlDAC3
>

> https://photos.app.goo.gl/ikd6KP2UeN61g3pA3
>

> A hell of a mess.

That looks like it was assembled by a bunch of drunken liberals. :(

raykeller

Dec 11, 2017, 4:53:19 PM12/11/17

"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Were they michelins? they are known for this if they are too old
Check the date code on the other tires and if they are over 4 yrs old get
rid of them. regaurdless of how much tread they have or how good they look
Allso check the sidewalls for a direction of rotation arrow---some tires do
not like running backwards

raykeller

Dec 11, 2017, 5:00:19 PM12/11/17

"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Clean it out so there is nothing left to steal unless you want to leave
somthing for bait
It is going to be out of service for a while
Hook jumpers to the window relay to get the windows up

Jim Wilkins

Dec 11, 2017, 5:07:02 PM12/11/17

"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/100000-tires-recalled-by-michelin-in-north-america/

Leper

Dec 12, 2017, 12:40:53 AM12/12/17
Better idea is to let the Mexican dude believe that you have welded in
pockets of drugs in it. When he steals and totally annihilates it.
Collect the insurance and boogey on.

--
Machiavelli wrote:It is necessary for the state to deal in lies and half
truths,

Gunner Asch

Dec 12, 2017, 2:04:00 AM12/12/17
On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 15:00:19 -0700, "raykeller"
<whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
wrote:
I spent most of today taking out the valuables, getting security
lighting on it..and I started arranging and then splicing the wiring
about 3pm. Worked on it till dark and Ill hit it again in the morning.
When done..Ill plug it in and give everything a good test..then unhook
it..wrap the cables (I bought a 10 pack of 3M electrical tape), then
route it back through the firewall etc etc..test it again..then button
everything up.

I was supposed to be doing work for a company in the morning..so I
called, put it off for a day and will be back on the road Wed morning
early.

Its not rocket science..but it IS a total pain in the ass. Western
Electric splices, good solder job, heat shrink tubing on each splice,
a full wrap of electrical tape on each bundle, split flex conduit and
then securing it back inside the wheel well and plugging everything
back in place. Then i have to drive to Bakersfield..hit a wrecking
yard..buy a good used headlamp assembly,a replacement wheel well
liner, a replacement tire and it will be done.

Tire was a Goodyear. The steel belt was completely gone. Ripped right
off the tire. No idea of why. Id check tire pressure all the way
around as I tend to do on my way home when I fill up with gas.

Cant find the receipt where I bought it..sigh.
Im still pissed. I generally buy good used takeoffs...bought this one
brand fucking new.

Sure pissed me off. I had better things to do on my one day off

Gunner Asch

Dec 12, 2017, 2:05:09 AM12/12/17
On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 14:53:20 -0700, "raykeller"
<whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
wrote:
Ill do that. But I remember having the dealer install it so it should
have been done right.

Kentucky Avenue

Dec 12, 2017, 10:58:44 AM12/12/17
On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 23:40:51 -0600, Leper <Le...@MolokaiColony.com>
wrote:
You think Wieber has insurance for that? That's hilarious. Maybe
you're thinking there's some form of Obamacare for cars?

Kentucky Avenue

Dec 12, 2017, 11:03:17 AM12/12/17
On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 23:03:57 -0800, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Id check tire pressure all the way
>around as I tend to do on my way home when I fill up with gas.

Nope. Nobody checks tires that often. That's why TPM systems are such
a good investment. I even have it on my bike. Check it on my phone
before every ride.

>Cant find the receipt where I bought it..sigh.

Just check your credit card statements. <chuckle>

>Im still pissed. I generally buy good used takeoffs...bought this one
>brand fucking new.

New ones need air, same as used ones.

>Sure pissed me off. I had better things to do on my one day off

No biggee. You still found time to make some death wishes and threats.

Gunner Asch

Dec 14, 2017, 9:48:38 PM12/14/17
On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 15:00:19 -0700, "raykeller"
<whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
wrote:

Got the engine started and all the lights to work..except the iwarning
lights in the dash board. I have to step on the brake pedal before
the appropriate warning lights come on. So I suspect a bad ground
wire somewhere. I have (4) wires that I cannot find matches to.
Damnit.

Im downloading the schematics for the dash electrical as I type this.
In the morning, with luck..Ill wrap all the wires with electrical tape
and button everything up. 3 days of fighting that son of a bitch.
Fuck!!

I went to the wrecking yard and bought bits and pieces..fuse box,
newer headlight (which works just fine) etc etc. Just got to get the
instrument warning lights to show up with the brake pedal
released..door open, hatch up, that sort of warning lights.

Dodge had a really..really really bad mind fuck when they laid this
vehicle out this way.

Gunner

Michael A Terrell

Dec 15, 2017, 7:06:53 AM12/15/17
Gunner Asch wrote:

> Got the engine started and all the lights to work..except the iwarning
> lights in the dash board. I have to step on the brake pedal before
> the appropriate warning lights come on. So I suspect a bad ground
> wire somewhere. I have (4) wires that I cannot find matches to.
> Damnit.
>
> Im downloading the schematics for the dash electrical as I type this.
> In the morning, with luck..Ill wrap all the wires with electrical tape
> and button everything up. 3 days of fighting that son of a bitch.
> Fuck!!
>
> I went to the wrecking yard and bought bits and pieces..fuse box,
> newer headlight (which works just fine) etc etc. Just got to get the
> instrument warning lights to show up with the brake pedal
> released..door open, hatch up, that sort of warning lights.
>
> Dodge had a really..really really bad mind fuck when they laid this
> vehicle out this way.

Was that design done when it was owned by the Germans?

PaxPerPoten

Dec 16, 2017, 2:14:32 AM12/16/17
Dunno...But the 2002 Chrysler Minivans were very well designed and
actually built to be rebuilt. Even the circuit boards are repairable..As
are the computers. There is a specialty shop in Minneapolis that repairs
them if you cannot. Not cheap though. Components are coded. Many of
those vans run well over 300 thousand miles. I have blown tires on a
couple of them and did not have massive damage like Gunners. I attribute
his problems to "It was just his day in the barrel"! ;-p

ages who mean to govern well, but *They mean to govern*. They promise to
be good masters, *but they mean to be masters*. Daniel Webster

Gunner Asch

Dec 16, 2017, 10:34:12 AM12/16/17
All things considered..Im quite happy with the Dodge. As said..it was
my turn in the barrel. Sigh.

My next expense is rebuilding the lower end of the Ranger engine
(Aprox $250) and Ill have that up and on the road..tags are already
paid and it did pass smog. I already have new rings, gaskets and most
seals. I just need to buy rod and main bearings and mic the crank.

Then..then Ill try my hand at rebuilding the transmission in the
Chevy Venture. Its minty minty+, with 80k on the engine..a full
dresser..electric seats and AM/FM/Cass/CD etc etc. and it did run very
very well. Still starts and idles well, and drives in 1st and 2nd gear
ok..but 3rd and Drive/Overdrive are gone. Rebuild kit is about $400
on Ebay. I already have the manual..which is part of my library in the
bathroom...I read it occasionally...Im feeling more comfortable with
doing a " DIY automatic transmission rebuild...OOOOOOH!!!" myself.

More Than Rain

Dec 16, 2017, 12:25:29 PM12/16/17
On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 01:14:32 -0600, PaxPerPoten <P...@USA.org> wrote:

>I have blown tires on a
>couple of them and did not have massive damage like Gunners. I attribute
>his problems to "It was just his day in the barrel"! ;-p

More than 40 years of debacles. A hell of a long day.

More Than Rain

Dec 16, 2017, 12:27:17 PM12/16/17
On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 07:34:12 -0800, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>All things considered..Im quite happy with the Dodge. As said..it was
>my turn in the barrel. Sigh.

You've been in the barrel your whole life. It's reasonable to assume
that at some point you decided you like it in there.

rbowman

Dec 16, 2017, 1:32:28 PM12/16/17
On 12/16/2017 08:34 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> Im feeling more comfortable with
> doing a " DIY automatic transmission rebuild...OOOOOOH!!!" myself.

I tried that with a Torqueflite when I was young and stupid. My next
step was finding out the pitfalls of putting a manual in a Plymouth that
rolled of the line with an automatic.

Gunner Asch

Dec 16, 2017, 3:32:36 PM12/16/17
On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 11:32:31 -0700, rbowman <bow...@montana.com>
wrote:
The cheapest rebuilder in the area with a good rep quoted me $1300 for
a rebuild. If I can do it for $400...its much better.

Sideways engine of course..sigh. Though the YouTube videos show it
being done with the tranny still in the frame.