Mountain lion takes small dog from Bay Area bedroom

raykeller

Apr 18, 2017, 3:15:53 PM4/18/17

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Mountain-Lion-takes-small-dog-from-South-Bay-11078690.php

Mountain lion takes small dog from Bay Area bedroom

By Alyssa Pereira, SFGATE Updated 7:28 pm, Monday, April 17, 2017

A mountain lion snatched a small dog from a Pescadero bedroom in the early
morning hours Monday, after the residents reportedly left their French doors
partially open for the dog to go outside, according to the San Mateo County
Sheriff's office.

The dog, a 15-pound Portuguese Podengo, was at the foot of a bed near the
dog's owner and a child when it woke them up around 3 a.m. by "barking
aggressively."

The adult witness told authorities she saw the shadow of an animal come into
the room through the French doors, grab the dog from the bed, and walk out.
When she grabbed a flashlight, she saw "large wet paw prints" near the
bedroom's entrance, and called 911.

When police arrived on scene, they discovered paw prints resembling those of
a mountain lion, and notified the Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Now, the San Mateo authorities are advising and reminding local residents to
secure their doors and windows before sleeping, and to heed the advice
posted on the department's website about avoiding mountain lion
interactions.

"With the passage of Proposition 117 in 1990, mountain lions became a
"specially protected species," making mountain lion hunting illegal in
California. This status and other statutes prohibit the California
Department of Fish and Wildlife from recommending a hunting season for
lions, and it is illegal to take, injure, possess, transport, import, or
sell any mountain lion or part of a mountain lion.

"Mountain lions may be killed only 1) if a depredation permit is issued to
take a specific lion killing livestock or pets; 2) to preserve public
safety; or 3) to protect listed bighorn sheep. "

Mountain lions have more rights in California than people. They kill many
runners and hikers every year in and around developed areas. They far exceed
the numbers for their habitat and are a menace to humans in California.

Mr. B1ack

Apr 18, 2017, 4:40:27 PM4/18/17
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 12:15:45 -0700, "raykeller"
<whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
wrote:

>http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Mountain-Lion-takes-small-dog-from-South-Bay-11078690.php
>
>Mountain lion takes small dog from Bay Area bedroom
>
>By Alyssa Pereira, SFGATE Updated 7:28 pm, Monday, April 17, 2017
>
>A mountain lion snatched a small dog from a Pescadero bedroom in the early
>morning hours Monday, after the residents reportedly left their French doors
>partially open for the dog to go outside, according to the San Mateo County
>Sheriff's office.

Hey ... everything in their territory is FOOD - including
you and yer kiddies.

Can't handle the wildlife then stick to your downtown
apartment.

Maybe the metalworking group can come up with a
specialized "Lion Gig" for 'em ... sort of a trident with
barbs so the sucker can't get loose and come at ya ?

edhun...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2017, 4:52:24 PM4/18/17
On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 4:40:27 PM UTC-4, Mr. B1ack wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 12:15:45 -0700, "raykeller"
> <whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
> wrote:
>

> >http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Mountain-Lion-takes-small-dog-from-South-Bay-11078690.php
> >
> >Mountain lion takes small dog from Bay Area bedroom
> >
> >By Alyssa Pereira, SFGATE Updated 7:28 pm, Monday, April 17, 2017
> >
> >A mountain lion snatched a small dog from a Pescadero bedroom in the early
> >morning hours Monday, after the residents reportedly left their French doors
> >partially open for the dog to go outside, according to the San Mateo County
> >Sheriff's office.
>
> Hey ... everything in their territory is FOOD - including
> you and yer kiddies.

Mountain lions in MY territory are carrion. Pescadero is a little town with schools and churches...what makes it the mountain lions' "territory"?

> Can't handle the wildlife then stick to your downtown
> apartment.

It sounds like you advocate letting the "wildlife" handle YOU. You handle that kind of wildlife with a bullet or a load of buckshot.

> Maybe the metalworking group can come up with a
> specialized "Lion Gig" for 'em ... sort of a trident with
> barbs so the sucker can't get loose and come at ya ?

A load of buckshot will do.

--
Ed Huntress

Martin E

Apr 18, 2017, 9:25:36 PM4/18/17
Here where I live the Sheriff told me point blank saying - homes moving
next to you - just don't let the bullets go in their windows. Watch
were you shoot and beyond. Take time and even the protected 'wildlife'
is fair game to shoot dead if it destroys anything or confronts anyone.

So I just remember to shoot downward at them and not lay prone and shoot
upwards :-)

It is logical. The most dangerous snake is a massive timber rattle
snake. It can 'jump' it's length at you and the poison acts real fast.
Most die if bitten.
They are Protected. But have targets on them within ranches, farms, .....

Martin

Gunner Asch

Apr 18, 2017, 10:21:45 PM4/18/17
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 20:24:43 -0500, Martin E
<lion...@consolidated.net> wrote:

>Here where I live the Sheriff told me point blank saying - homes moving
>next to you - just don't let the bullets go in their windows. Watch
>were you shoot and beyond. Take time and even the protected 'wildlife'
>is fair game to shoot dead if it destroys anything or confronts anyone.
>
>So I just remember to shoot downward at them and not lay prone and shoot
>upwards :-)
>
>It is logical. The most dangerous snake is a massive timber rattle
>snake. It can 'jump' it's length at you and the poison acts real fast.
>Most die if bitten.
>They are Protected. But have targets on them within ranches, farms, .....
>
>Martin

It makes sense to keep a pump shotgun loaded with #4 buck for those
sorts of issues. Hit a cat with an ounce and a quarter of .22 caliber
lead balls at 1400 fps...he wont be going far. Same with snakes. 2 or
no legged.

The shotgun is my first goto here at the homestead, with a FN-49 up
second in 8mm Mauser and 10 in the magazine. Houses are close enough
that the 8mm is a bit much, unless I can really pick my shots. The
pump gun with 6 in the tube and a load of #4 buck gets the duty 99% of
the time. I dont worry about them wearing body armor. A hit to the
face or groin, will be DRT.

>On 4/18/2017 3:52 PM, edhun...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 4:40:27 PM UTC-4, Mr. B1ack wrote:
>>> On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 12:15:45 -0700, "raykeller"
>>> <whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>

>>> Hey ... everything in their territory is FOOD - including
>>> you and yer kiddies.
>>
>> Mountain lions in MY territory are carrion. Pescadero is a little town with schools and churches...what makes it the mountain lions' "territory"?
>>

>>> Can't handle the wildlife then stick to your downtown
>>> apartment.
>>
>> It sounds like you advocate letting the "wildlife" handle YOU. You handle that kind of wildlife with a bullet or a load of buckshot.
>>

>>> Maybe the metalworking group can come up with a
>>> specialized "Lion Gig" for 'em ... sort of a trident with
>>> barbs so the sucker can't get loose and come at ya ?
>>
>> A load of buckshot will do.

---

Larry Jaques

Apr 18, 2017, 11:48:46 PM4/18/17
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 20:24:43 -0500, Martin E
<lion...@consolidated.net> wrote:

>Here where I live the Sheriff told me point blank saying - homes moving
>next to you - just don't let the bullets go in their windows. Watch
>were you shoot and beyond. Take time and even the protected 'wildlife'
>is fair game to shoot dead if it destroys anything or confronts anyone.
>
>So I just remember to shoot downward at them and not lay prone and shoot
>upwards :-)

Goodonya, mate.

Smart cat. He knows well-fed gourmet food when he sees it. Too bad
more people don't let their ankle biting yappers free outside where
they could be eaten. Their shrieks and yaps are instantly irritating.

People who leave their doors open when they're gone are idiots. Rats,
mice, stray cats (who pee everywhere), lizards, gophers (happened to
me in CA when a friend dropped a beer can, propping the screen open),
bees, flies, gnats, noseeums, and birds will all come in if you do.

--
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,

Rudy Canoza

Apr 21, 2017, 11:59:30 PM4/21/17
On 4/18/2017 6:24 PM, Martin E wrote:
> Here where I live the Sheriff told me point blank saying - homes moving
> next to you - just don't let the bullets go in their windows. Watch
> were you shoot and beyond. Take time and even the protected 'wildlife'
> is fair game to shoot dead if it destroys anything or confronts anyone.
>
> So I just remember to shoot downward at them and not lay prone and shoot
> upwards :-)
>
> It is logical. The most dangerous snake is a massive timber rattle
> snake. It can 'jump' it's length at you and

Bullshit. Rattlesnakes strike about 1/3 their length.