About half of immigrant households on welfare, report says

Halt Immigration

Sep 4, 2015, 6:01:23 AM9/4/15
Roughly half of immigrant households in the United States
receive at least one form of welfare, with that number rising to
73 percent for immigrant households from Central America and
Mexico, a new report released Wednesday said.

The report, released by the Center for Immigration Studies (CIS)
– a group that calls for lower levels of immigration – falls in
the middle of a fiery political debate on the presidential
campaign trail over immigration policies. The report says
immigrant households use welfare at much higher rates than the
American-born population. The study used Census Bureau Survey of
Income and Program Participation data.

CLICK HERE FOR THE REPORT

http://cis.org/Welfare-Use-Immigrant-Native-Households

“In 2012, 51 percent of households headed by an [illegal or
legal] immigrant reported that they used at least one welfare
program during the year, compared to 30 percent of native
households,” the report said.

The report found starkly different welfare rates among different
groups, with 73 percent of immigrant households from Central
America and Mexico and 51 percent of households from the
Caribbean receiving welfare. Meanwhile, only 26 percent of
immigrant households from Europe and 17 percent from South Asia
received welfare in that period.

The types of welfare examined in the study included Medicaid as
well as cash, food and housing programs.

However, the report came under immediate criticism in some
corners, with the libertarian Cato Institute’s Alex Nowrasteh
telling FoxNews.com “there’s virtually nothing redeemable about
this report.”

“When you compare households to households, they’re all of
different sizes and so it’s hard to compare them in a way that
reveals anything interesting,” Nowrasteh said. “Statisticians
spend their lives trying to compare apples to apples and CIS
didn’t even bother.”

Nowrasteh also said that by measuring households -- not
individuals -- the CIS report ignores the possibility that some
immigrant-led households will include native-born Americans
using welfare.

Rather, Nowrasteh argued in a lengthy blog post that poor
immigrant individuals are less likely to receive welfare than
others at their income level, and the problem is a welfare
problem, not an immigration problem. “It’s easier to build a
wall around the welfare state rather than a wall around the
country,” Nowrasteh said. “I use immigration as an argument
against welfare, they use welfare as an argument against
immigration.”

Steven Camarota, director of research at the CIS and author of
the report, said the fact remains that many immigrant households
“struggle to feed their own children.”

Camarota noted that immigrants often are receiving welfare not
due to unemployment, but because they are not earning enough to
be ineligible.

“Most people think either you work, or you are on welfare – but
that’s just wrong,” Camarota said. “A mom with two kids working
full-time earning $12 an hour is still eligible for most welfare
programs.”

The report also found that education, or a lack thereof, was an
important factor. “In 2012, 76 percent of households headed by
an immigrant who had not graduated high school used one or more
welfare programs, as did 63 percent of households headed by an
immigrant with only a high school education,” the report said.

Camarota told FoxNews.com the high welfare use can also be
explained in part by strong ethnic social networks that help
fellow immigrants both get a job and navigate complex welfare
programs.

The report received some heavyweight backing, with the office of
Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., drawing attention to it via email.
“In all the recycled, power-washed talk about our “broken
immigration system,” (which inevitably centers on how to help
corporations) the exploitation of the welfare system remains one
of the most endemic and overlooked problems,” the statement said.

Asked about how he hoped the report would contribute to the
immigration debate, Camarota said he hoped it would lead to a
sober discourse.

“[Collecting welfare] shouldn’t be seen as a moral failing on
the part of immigrants, but reflective of what happens when you
let lots of people who have modest levels of education in a
modern society,” Camarota said. “Either you select immigrants
who aren’t going to need programs or accept that they’re going
to take up a lot of welfare. You can’t try and solve it once
they’re here.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09/02/half-immigrant-
households-on-welfare-report-says/

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Sep 4, 2015, 12:25:53 PM9/4/15
Interesting when you look at the second generation of those
immigrants who were on welfare compared to the second (or next)
generation of american born welfare recipients.

The numbers change quite drastically with most second generation
immigrants being much better educated, and much better employed than
the offspring of many welfare raised "american born" welfare
recipients.

Most immigrants to North America are very proud people who WANT to
pull their own weight and benefit from the opportunity to come to
"america"

Frank

Sep 4, 2015, 1:04:34 PM9/4/15
Don't confuse legal and illegal. The latter are the bulk of the problem.

R1TB4.☢_ M°i°g°h°t°y ☮ W°a°n°n°a°b°e _☢.9MFFP

Sep 4, 2015, 1:45:03 PM9/4/15
Legalize the illegals so that the illegals can legally work. Problem
solved. It's not rocket science, Dumb Dumb.

Governor Swill

Sep 4, 2015, 5:16:24 PM9/4/15
On Fri, 4 Sep 2015 "Halt Immigration" wrote:
>Roughly half of immigrant households in the United States
>receive at least one form of welfare, with that number rising to
>73 percent for immigrant households from Central America and
>Mexico, a new report released Wednesday said.

That matches up with Romney's 47% doesn't it.

It's higher in Florida too. Lots of retirees sponging off the govt
down there.

Swill
--
Rick Perry on American history:
"Our Founding Fathers never meant for Washington, D.C.

F. George McDuffee

Sep 4, 2015, 6:08:38 PM9/4/15
On Fri, 4 Sep 2015 13:44:57 -0400, R1TB4.?_ M迺迷退配釜 ?
W軒迸迸軒軔送 _?.9MFFP <WE...@Q3WN5.com> wrote:

>> Don't confuse legal and illegal. The latter are the bulk of the problem.
>
>Legalize the illegals so that the illegals can legally work. Problem
>solved. It's not rocket science, Dumb Dumb.
===================
Problem is that our legal immigrants tend to be the "cream
of the crop," with extensive education and able to speak
fluent English. Many have attended college in the U. S.,
and currently have [high tech] jobs using that education.
They see greater opportunity here and this is pull [in]
migration.

By contrast the illegal immigrants by and large come from
the bottom of the heap, and fleeing their homes in fear of
their lives, either by starvation, after being driven off
their subsistence farms, or murder by the death squads, to
the nearest safe haven. Most have minimal formal education,
and many not only don't speak English, speak minimal
Spanish, and have one of the Indian dialects as their native
language. This is push [out] migration.

NB ==>Consider how bad things would have to be here for you
to abandon your meager possessions, and pay enormous sums to
a unsavory human trafficker, knowing the hardships of travel
and the significant dangers of death, rape and robbery, for
you and your family, to flee your country, or send your
minor child away under the same conditions, into unknown
conditions.<==

The unpleasant truth is that both Europe and America have
largely brought the current refugee crisis on our selves by
endless "mucking" around in areas where we had no legitimate
business, and allowing our privateer transnational
corporations to plunder, corrupt, and destabilize the
nations of those areas, which were marginally viable at
best.

The gains by the privateer transnationals were long ago
"trowsered," but as usual the costs, now due and payable,
have been socialized, to be paid by the 99%, and the
refugees themselves, who have lost everything.

While it will never happen, in a just world the accountable
corporations would be identified, special taxes levied to
offset the immigration and re mediation costs, and
governmental policies revised to at least "do no harm."

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"

Rudy Canoza

Sep 4, 2015, 6:13:17 PM9/4/15
On 9/4/2015 3:08 PM, F. George McDuffee wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Sep 2015 13:44:57 -0400, R1TB4.?_ M°i°g°h°t°y ?
> W°a°n°n°a°b°e _?.9MFFP <WE...@Q3WN5.com> wrote:
>
>>> Don't confuse legal and illegal. The latter are the bulk of the problem.
>>
>> Legalize the illegals so that the illegals can legally work. Problem
>> solved. It's not rocket science, Dumb Dumb.
> ===================
> Problem is that our legal immigrants tend to be the "cream
> of the crop," with extensive education and able to speak
> fluent English.

Bollocks; that's left-wing folk belief. Some immigrants are high
quality, some aren't. You have no idea of the percentages. You have no
expertise in this at all.

Governor Swill

Sep 4, 2015, 9:38:37 PM9/4/15
On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 12:25:45 -0400, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:

> Interesting when you look at the second generation of those
>immigrants who were on welfare compared to the second (or next)
>generation of american born welfare recipients.
>
>The numbers change quite drastically with most second generation
>immigrants being much better educated, and much better employed than
>the offspring of many welfare raised "american born" welfare
>recipients.
>
>Most immigrants to North America are very proud people who WANT to
>pull their own weight and benefit from the opportunity to come to
>"america"

Thanks for pointing that out. The immigration hardliners will ignore
it or attack it as usual, but thanks for pointing it out.

Governor Swill

Sep 4, 2015, 9:41:44 PM9/4/15
There are multiple issues bridging the two topics of immigration and
welfare.

Welfare for legal immigrants which is invariable short term and single
generation since they strive to get their kids the education they need
to make it in life..

Illegal immigrants who can't get welfare and end up as virtual slaves
forced to go home whenever the job supply dries up.

Native born Americans who get on welfare and pass the custom on to the
next generation because being native born, they're "entitled".

Governor Swill

Sep 4, 2015, 9:42:56 PM9/4/15
On Fri, 4 Sep 2015 13:44:57 -0400, R1TB4.?_ M°i°g°h°t°y ?
W°a°n°n°a°b°e _?.9MFFP <WE...@Q3WN5.com> wrote:

There's an even simpler and more profitable solution. Start fining
and imprisoning employers who hire illegals.

Siri Cruz

Sep 5, 2015, 12:32:54 AM9/5/15
In article <93ikua1jg3eoh42nn...@4ax.com>,
Governor Swill <governo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Legalize the illegals so that the illegals can legally work. Problem
> >solved. It's not rocket science, Dumb Dumb.
>
> There's an even simpler and more profitable solution. Start fining
> and imprisoning employers who hire illegals.

There's an even even simpler simpler solution. Convince people to pay enough for
food and other products that farmers and manufacturers can pay workers high
enough wages to entice citizens, permanent residents, and guest workers to work
for them.

Also Congress can budget enough money to actually pay for guest worker
administration so Mexicans can afford to seasonally commute between US jobs and
Mexican homes. My understanding is Mexicans would like to go home more often,
but do so legally is too expensive and too difficult because Congress won't pay
ICE, USCIS, and State enough to run the programs effectively.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.'
When is a Kenyan not a Kenyan? When he's a Canadian.
That's People's Commissioner Siri Cruz now. Punch!

Governor Swill

Sep 5, 2015, 11:23:40 PM9/5/15
On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 21:32:45 -0700, Siri Cruz wrote:
> Governor Swill wrote:
>
>> >Legalize the illegals so that the illegals can legally work. Problem
>> >solved. It's not rocket science, Dumb Dumb.
>>
>> There's an even simpler and more profitable solution. Start fining
>> and imprisoning employers who hire illegals.
>
>There's an even even simpler simpler solution. Convince people to pay enough for
>food and other products that farmers and manufacturers can pay workers high
>enough wages to entice citizens, permanent residents, and guest workers to work
>for them.
>
>Also Congress can budget enough money to actually pay for guest worker
>administration so Mexicans can afford to seasonally commute between US jobs and
>Mexican homes. My understanding is Mexicans would like to go home more often,
>but do so legally is too expensive and too difficult because Congress won't pay
>ICE, USCIS, and State enough to run the programs effectively.

That's not simpler, but it might be better. I expect my solution
should be applied until price hikes force the voters to force the pols
to do something constructive and equitable about immigration and a
cheap labor supply.