not really OT: Looking for mobile work station for factory floor

rangerssuck

Sep 26, 2016, 12:31:06 PM9/26/16
I seem to be spending an infinite amount of time as a controls consultant in a busy metalworking factory. As of now, my tools & supplies are residing in various cardboard boxes, piled in the corner. When I need to use my laptop, I find something to set it on, and (hopefully) a place to sit.

I need to do something more formal. I'm picturing a rolling tool cabinet with some sort of desk top platform. Maybe with some hooks to hold extension cords and stuff, and some larger drawers to hold stuff along with smaller drawers to hold screwdrivers, pliers, etc. a second (foldout?) work platform would also be good.

Any and all suggestions are welcome- I don't know where to begin looking.

Thanks,

JPB

Jim Wilkins

Sep 26, 2016, 12:49:28 PM9/26/16
"rangerssuck" <range...@gmail.com> wrote in message
=====================

I vaguely remember seeing GM plant maintenance personnel with rolling
work stations.

http://www.worksmancycles.com/

Tim Wescott

Sep 26, 2016, 12:53:22 PM9/26/16
I can't think of any products to suggest, but my mind immediately leaps
to the idea that to maximize stability of the laptop you want the tools
down low. 'course, that'll also maximize strain to your back...

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested

Ned Simmons

Sep 26, 2016, 1:29:22 PM9/26/16
I keep set of tools in a Kennedy roll-around with folding shelf like
this at a customer's plant. I picked it up used for $100 on
Craigslist.
https://www.zoro.com/kennedy-shelf-fold-away-ds1b/i/G2794626/?gclid=COnVlcPCrc8CFYJbhgodLBQK6g&gclsrc=aw.ds
--
Ned Simmons

Leon Fisk

Sep 26, 2016, 1:46:46 PM9/26/16
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 09:30:56 -0700 (PDT)
Menards has a chest with pull out work surface. Like this:

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/tool-storage/tool-chests-boxes/masterforce-reg-41-8-drawer-tool-chest/p-1444451677681-c-9188.htm

They will ship to home if there isn't one in your area. The bottom
drawers with wheels is listed in the Optional Accessories. Quite the
bundle of money but may give you some ideas to research :)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Pete Keillor

Sep 26, 2016, 3:18:05 PM9/26/16
Try foreman's desk. But it seems like a foreman's desk on a rolling tool
cabinet would be better, especially if the drawers opened out the back
instead of under the overhanging desk part.

Pete Keillor

Ignoramus11049

Sep 26, 2016, 3:56:13 PM9/26/16
You need to make something that suits your needs exactly.

Start with a good shop cart with great rubber casters.

Add a cabinet on top and screw it down.

Use the remaining room on the cart for the stuff you will be hauling
around.

Gunner Asch

Sep 26, 2016, 3:59:26 PM9/26/16
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 11:53:15 -0500, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 09:30:56 -0700, rangerssuck wrote:
>
>> I seem to be spending an infinite amount of time as a controls
>> consultant in a busy metalworking factory. As of now, my tools &
>> supplies are residing in various cardboard boxes, piled in the corner.
>> When I need to use my laptop, I find something to set it on, and
>> (hopefully) a place to sit.
>>
>> I need to do something more formal. I'm picturing a rolling tool cabinet
>> with some sort of desk top platform. Maybe with some hooks to hold
>> extension cords and stuff, and some larger drawers to hold stuff along
>> with smaller drawers to hold screwdrivers, pliers, etc. a second
>> (foldout?) work platform would also be good.
>>
>> Any and all suggestions are welcome- I don't know where to begin
>> looking.
>
>I can't think of any products to suggest, but my mind immediately leaps
>to the idea that to maximize stability of the laptop you want the tools
>down low. 'course, that'll also maximize strain to your back...

Simply weld up a frame to hold your Harbor Freight tool chest and add
a work surface on the back side. Mount it on wheels that are easy
enough to pull from machine/location to machine/location. Also be
sure the wheels are far enough to pick it up with a forklift.

Its hardly rocket science. Just be sure to make it narrow enough to
go down the average travel path. Add a power strip and an extension
cord about 25' long and a work light on the corner so you can use the
vise you mount on it.

---

Gunner Asch

Sep 26, 2016, 4:06:24 PM9/26/16

Gunner Asch

Sep 26, 2016, 4:19:47 PM9/26/16
wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 09:30:56 -0700, rangerssuck wrote:
>
>> I seem to be spending an infinite amount of time as a controls
>> consultant in a busy metalworking factory. As of now, my tools &
>> supplies are residing in various cardboard boxes, piled in the corner.
>> When I need to use my laptop, I find something to set it on, and
>> (hopefully) a place to sit.
>>
>> I need to do something more formal. I'm picturing a rolling tool cabinet
>> with some sort of desk top platform. Maybe with some hooks to hold
>> extension cords and stuff, and some larger drawers to hold stuff along
>> with smaller drawers to hold screwdrivers, pliers, etc. a second
>> (foldout?) work platform would also be good.
>>
>> Any and all suggestions are welcome- I don't know where to begin
>> looking.
>
>I can't think of any products to suggest, but my mind immediately leaps
>to the idea that to maximize stability of the laptop you want the tools
>down low. 'course, that'll also maximize strain to your back...

This is the rolling work cart I started out with....Ive since added a
Kennedy 3 unit tool cart to one end, some lockable drawers big enough
for drill motors etc etc

https://goo.gl/photos/rHZYqYNuJaMNnexV7

I dont have a current photo..its at a clients shop.

Ignoramus11049

Sep 26, 2016, 4:29:46 PM9/26/16
is the dog bolted down also

Bob La Londe

Sep 26, 2016, 4:39:39 PM9/26/16
"rangerssuck" <range...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Global Industrial will probably have something just right for you. I have
one of their mobile work stations housing the control computer for one of my
CNC mills right now.

gray_wolf

Sep 26, 2016, 6:06:35 PM9/26/16
On 9/26/2016 3:29 PM, Ignoramus11049 wrote:
> is the dog bolted down also

I think the dog is an essential carry-on ;-)

Larry Jaques

Sep 26, 2016, 9:39:10 PM9/26/16
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 13:06:20 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 19:18:02 GMT, Pete Keillor
><Pete.K...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 09:30:56 -0700, rangerssuck wrote:
>>
>>> I seem to be spending an infinite amount of time as a controls
>>> consultant in a busy metalworking factory. As of now, my tools &
>>> supplies are residing in various cardboard boxes, piled in the corner.
>>> When I need to use my laptop, I find something to set it on, and
>>> (hopefully) a place to sit.
>>>
>>> I need to do something more formal. I'm picturing a rolling tool cabinet
>>> with some sort of desk top platform. Maybe with some hooks to hold
>>> extension cords and stuff, and some larger drawers to hold stuff along
>>> with smaller drawers to hold screwdrivers, pliers, etc. a second
>>> (foldout?) work platform would also be good.
>>>
>>> Any and all suggestions are welcome- I don't know where to begin
>>> looking.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> JPB
>>
>>Try foreman's desk. But it seems like a foreman's desk on a rolling tool
>>cabinet would be better, especially if the drawers opened out the back
>>instead of under the overhanging desk part.
>>
>>Pete Keillor
>

>https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/d9/f5/ae/d9f5ae5442d032aee541cb14ba3acc3d.jpg

Ooh, that's a nice one.

>http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2020/1594183932_2b0adc96ae.jpg?v=0

What does that SnapOff set cost now, $37k?

>https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/lm2mfa5.jpg

For a 12 y/o girl? <giggle>

>etc etc etc.
>
>Just use BIG wheels. the little wheels in the last example..wont fly.
>Trust me

5" is the smallest I'll use in the shop, 3" in the kitchen.

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson

Gunner Asch

Sep 27, 2016, 3:31:13 AM9/27/16
Smart man!

Gunner Asch

Sep 27, 2016, 3:32:41 AM9/27/16
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 15:29:38 -0500, Ignoramus11049
<ignoram...@NOSPAM.11049.invalid> wrote:

>is the dog bolted down also

No..its removable.

Unfortunately, he is dead. And I still miss him

That was Opie

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Sep 27, 2016, 3:33:05 AM9/27/16
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 17:06:32 -0500, gray_wolf <g_w...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>On 9/26/2016 3:29 PM, Ignoramus11049 wrote:
>> is the dog bolted down also
>>

>I think the dog is an essential carry-on ;-)

I have plenty of spares

Rudy Canoza

Sep 27, 2016, 1:24:46 PM9/27/16
On 9/26/2016 9:53 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 09:30:56 -0700, rangerssuck wrote:
>
>> I seem to be spending an infinite amount of time

No.