California too incompetent to generate electricity from the sun.

Robert H.

Jun 15, 2016, 5:50:59 AM6/15/16
The World’s Largest Solar Plant Just Torched Itself

Misaligned mirrors are being blamed for a fire that broke out
yesterday at the world’s largest solar power plant, leaving the
high-tech facility crippled for the time being. It sounds like
the plant’s workers suffered through a real hellscape, too.

A small fire was reported yesterday morning at the Ivanpah Solar
Electric Generating System (ISEGS) in California, forcing a
temporary shutdown of the facility. It’s now running at a third
of its capacity (a second tower is down due to scheduled
maintenance), and it’s not immediately clear when the damaged
tower will restart. It’s also unclear how the incident will
impact California’s electricity supply.

Putting out the blaze was not easy task, either. Firefighters
were forced to climb 300 feet up a boiler tower to get to the
scene. Officials said the fire was located about two-thirds up
the tower. Workers at the plant actually managed to subdue the
flames by the time firefighters reached the spot, and it was
officially extinguished about 20 minutes after it started.

Located on 4,000 acres of public land in the Mojave Desert, the
sprawling concentrated solar thermal plant is equipped with
173,500 heliostats—each with two mirrors—that focus sunlight on
boilers located on top of three 459-foot towers. The tremendous
heat created by the concentrated solar power produces steam that
drives turbines to produce electricity. The plant, the largest
of its kind in the world, features a gross capacity of 392
megawatts, enough to power 140,000 homes. Each of the computer-
controlled solar-reflecting mirrors is about the size of a
garage door.

A spokesperson for the plant said it’s too early to comment on
the cause, but it appears that misaligned mirrors are to blame.
The Associated Press quoted Mike McClintock, the San Bernardino
County fire captain, who said that some mirrors delivered
sunlight to a different level on the third unit, causing
electrical cables to catch fire.

Inevitably, the incident reveals the inherent dangers of
concentrated solar power as well as the need to ensure that the
mirrors are always on target. Concentrated solar power plants,
in addition to being a menace to themselves, can also pose a
hazard to local wildlife. Last year, a plant in Nevada torched
over a hundred birds when they flew through the plant’s “flux
field.”

It’s yet another setback for the Ivanpah facility. For the past
few months, the plant has been unable to meet the output levels
stipulated in its power purchase agreement, and it was given an
extension until July 31, 2016 to improve performance. This fire
obviously isn’t going to help.

[AP]

http://gizmodo.com/the-world-s-largest-solar-plant-just-torched-
itself-1777767880?utm_source=taboola

Beam Me Up Scotty

Jun 15, 2016, 12:33:05 PM6/15/16
On 06/15/2016 05:37 AM, Robert H. wrote:
> http://gizmodo.com/the-world-s-largest-solar-plant-just-torched-
> itself-1777767880?utm_source=taboola

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-test-of-nevadas-solar-tower-project-torched-over-a-hu-1686790231

[""""""In what's turning into a public relations headache for the solar
industry, news has emerged that *a recent test* of the 110-megawatt
*Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project in Nevada* *resulted in some* 130
*birds* *catching* fire*, when they flew into an area of highly
concentrated solar energy. """""""]

Do you think it's a skydiving hazard? Ultra light aircraft hazard?
Nature friendly? Is it any more humane than clubbing baby seals?
Liberals have to be some of the dumbest people on the planet. The
Liberal environmentalists kill the wildlife faster than the fossil fuel
people. And the Liberals do it in the name of helping the environment.
Like that crazy Muslim Imam says that killing the gays is actually
helping them. Liberal theology is as dangerous as radical Muslim
terrorism. The problem is neither of them "Islam or Liberalism" require
scientific proof of anything they want to do, all they need is their own
emotional driven beliefs.

--
That's Karma

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/3674/1018/original.jpg
Obama's TWO FACED stand on Muslim's and Gun Owners.

Ed Huntress

Jun 15, 2016, 12:49:33 PM6/15/16
On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 12:33:00 -0400, Beam Me Up Scotty
<Liberalism-is-exposed-as-unsustainab...@cyberspace.nebulax.com>
wrote:

>On 06/15/2016 05:37 AM, Robert H. wrote:
>> http://gizmodo.com/the-world-s-largest-solar-plant-just-torched-
>> itself-1777767880?utm_source=taboola
>

>http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-test-of-nevadas-solar-tower-project-torched-over-a-hu-1686790231
>
>[""""""In what's turning into a public relations headache for the solar
>industry, news has emerged that *a recent test* of the 110-megawatt
>*Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project in Nevada* *resulted in some* 130
>*birds* *catching* fire*, when they flew into an area of highly
>concentrated solar energy. """""""]
>

>Do you think it's a skydiving hazard? Ultra light aircraft hazard?
>Nature friendly? Is it any more humane than clubbing baby seals?
>Liberals have to be some of the dumbest people on the planet. The
>Liberal environmentalists kill the wildlife faster than the fossil fuel
>people. And the Liberals do it in the name of helping the environment.
>Like that crazy Muslim Imam says that killing the gays is actually
>helping them. Liberal theology is as dangerous as radical Muslim
>terrorism. The problem is neither of them "Islam or Liberalism" require
>scientific proof of anything they want to do, all they need is their own
>emotional driven beliefs.

BMUS, you may be the most ignorant person in America who can write a
coherent sentence. If you're making it all up in your head, you're in
need of some serious therapy.

Close to 100,000,000 birds die annually from pesticides. Two million
die annually from oil and wastewater pits.

As for "scientific proof," you wouldn't know how to find it and you've
proven over and over that you can't understand it once you see it.

<sigh> But there's always hope that you'll catch on. Here, try this
for a start:

http://www.sibleyguides.com/conservation/causes-of-bird-mortality/

--
Ed Huntress

Beam Me Up Scotty

Jun 15, 2016, 1:06:51 PM6/15/16
The energy that will save the planet shows that with less than 2% of the
total supplied by solar and wind they are already killing significant
numbers of birds, extrapolate out to 100% when Solar/Wind are powering
the grid 100%. They will be killing as many if NOT more than fossil
fuel. And just as you would tell me that pesticides are NOT part of the
discussion I'll ask you what pesticides have to do with energy
production?

I have no problem cutting pesticide use in some areas of use like
Agribusiness/food production.

Ed Huntress

Jun 15, 2016, 1:37:29 PM6/15/16
On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 13:06:47 -0400, Beam Me Up Scotty
>numbers of birds...

No, they're not. Wind turbines kill an estimated 33,000. The number
killed by solar is so puny that it doesn't even register.

High-tension line collisions kill an estimated 170,000,000, and
windows kill just shy of 1,000,000,000.

Once again, BMUS, arithmetic is your downfall.

>, extrapolate out to 100% when Solar/Wind are powering
>the grid 100%.

Fossil fuel pollution, oil spills, and oil pits, alone, kill an
estimated 24,000,000 birds per year. The number probably is much
higher because they aren't counting the decreased fertility that
results from acid rain and other pollutants.

That's close to ten times the number in your hypothetical case of 100%
of our energy from wind and solar. Once again, do your arithmetic.

>They will be killing as many if NOT more than fossil
>fuel.

No, as you can see above..

>And just as you would tell me that pesticides are NOT part of the
>discussion I'll ask you what pesticides have to do with energy
>production?

You're complaining about liberals. Liberals oppose pesticides.
Reactionaries love them, and probably sprinkle them on their breakfast
cereal.

But, besides that, the point is that you're trying to make something
out of a trivial effect. That's because you never do your homework
and, consequently, you have no sense of proportion.

>I have no problem cutting pesticide use in some areas of use like
>Agribusiness/food production.

If they cut it, food prices will go up, and you'll blame liberals. If
they don't cut it, species will die out, and you'll blame liberals.

If small farms go under because they can't use pesticides and can't
afford genetically-modified seed that resists pests, you'll blame
liberals. If they don't, you'll blame liberals.

If your hemorrhoids flare up, you'll blame liberals. If you get
constipated, you'll blame liberals. If you get diarrhea, you'll blame
liberals.

I'm waiting for you to blame them for global warming, once it becomes
impossible to deny.

--
Ed Huntress

Beam Me Up Scotty

Jun 15, 2016, 3:55:39 PM6/15/16
Liberals have an irrational fear like a phobia of pesticides, I don't
fear them and yet neither do I sprinkle them on my Cheerios.

I actually use "Dawn Ultra" dish soap diluted in a spray bottle on most
exposed bugs I don't want around me it's safe to use in teh kitchen and
bathrooms. And bait traps for bugs I can't see.

Speaking of which, the Solar mirrors also cook millions of bugs.

The collector arrays may actually work for energy but they will need
proximity alerts and sirens to scare off birds and things.... Maybe a
360 degree ring of sirens with Public Address systems to keep the birds
and animals and people away during the daylight and that come on every
morning before the sun hits the mirrors to get any birds in the area up
and out before the Bar-B-Q fires up to cook them.

By the way.... did the EPA fine the Solar energy corporation like they
do to the Fossil energy corporations?

A spill is a spill and killing animals with your product (be it oil or
sunlight) the corporation is the one responsible for it.

Ed Huntress

Jun 15, 2016, 4:27:05 PM6/15/16
On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 15:55:30 -0400, Beam Me Up Scotty
I'm a certified pesticide applicator. I got my certification to take
care of my peach tree. You'd better learn to fear pesticides.

>I actually use "Dawn Ultra" dish soap diluted in a spray bottle on most
>exposed bugs I don't want around me it's safe to use in teh kitchen and
>bathrooms. And bait traps for bugs I can't see.

I use permethrin and neem oil.

>Speaking of which, the Solar mirrors also cook millions of bugs.

Yum, yum...

>The collector arrays may actually work for energy but they will need
>proximity alerts and sirens to scare off birds and things.... Maybe a
>360 degree ring of sirens with Public Address systems to keep the birds
>and animals and people away during the daylight and that come on every
>morning before the sun hits the mirrors to get any birds in the area up
>and out before the Bar-B-Q fires up to cook them.

They're probably going to have a short life. Utilities are trying to
push centralized solar systems, for obvious reasons, but they're being
overtaken by photovoltaic cells

>By the way.... did the EPA fine the Solar energy corporation like they
>do to the Fossil energy corporations?

For what? Pollution? What pollution?

>A spill is a spill and killing animals with your product (be it oil or
>sunlight) the corporation is the one responsible for it.

It's a tradeoff. Solar plants reduce the number of animals killed.
Unless you want to discourage that, you accept it.

--
Ed Huntress

mike

Jun 15, 2016, 6:29:02 PM6/15/16

>> The collector arrays may actually work for energy but they will need
>> proximity alerts and sirens to scare off birds and things.... Maybe a
>> 360 degree ring of sirens with Public Address systems to keep the birds
>> and animals and people away during the daylight and that come on every
>> morning before the sun hits the mirrors to get any birds in the area up
>> and out before the Bar-B-Q fires up to cook them.

Sounds like you've found the perfect solution.
Spray BBQ sauce into the air and put a big funnel
underneath to the BBQ store. Don't get no
fresher than that. And it's organic. And
energy efficient. And sustainable. It's free range.
And gluten free. No illegal immigrants are abused.
Who could argue with that?
EVERYBODY wins.