New York Is Named After A Horrendous Slave Trader

raykeller

Aug 18, 2017, 5:21:48 PM8/18/17

http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/17/new-york-is-named-after-a-horrendous-slave-trader/

New York Is Named After A Horrendous Slave Trader
Thomas Phippen | 9:00 PM 08/17/2017

New York, both the city and the state, is named after the house of York and
particularly for James Stuart, then Duke of York, one of the most successful
slavers in colonial American history.

President Donald Trump wondered aloud during a raucous press conference
Tuesday whether the impulse to tear down memorials to leaders of the
Confederacy like Gen. Robert E. Lee would slip into calls to remove
monuments to America's founders, like Thomas Jefferson and George
Washington, both of whom owned slaves.

The memory of slavery is enshrined in the name New York as well as the name
of the nation's capitol, even though both cities have vastly changed from
their christening.

James Stuart conquered the settlements between the Delaware and the
Connecticut rivers from the Dutch in 1664, and the name of the principal
port, New Amsterdam, was promptly changed to honor the new master. James'
brother, King Charles II of England, gave the territory to the duke in
exchange for four beaver pelts annually.

The Duke of York, who later became King James II of England (and James VII
of Scotland), created Britainâ?Ts greatest slave empire known as the Royal
African Company, which transported between 90,000 and 100,000 African slaves
to the Caribbean and American colonies between 1672 and 1689.

King Charles II established the Royal Adventurers company in 1664, which
traded in Africa, and put his younger brother James in charge of the
operation. When the company went into debt, James and the crown dissolved it
and reformed it into the Royal African Company to focus on the continent
full of ivory, gold, and the â?osingle most lucrative commodity,â? slaves,
Hilary McDonald Beckles, now the vice-chancellor of University of the West
Indies, wrote in a 1999 paper for UNESCO.

The Royal African Company, governed by the brother of the king, enjoyed
almost regal power to compete with the Dutch for dominion over Africaâ?Ts
resources and people.

The company established ports along Africaâ?Ts Gold Coast, and â?osoon
became the largest single company involved in the slave trade,â? Beckles
wrote. â?oBetween 1680 and 1700 it supplied some 30,000 Africans to the
Caribbean.â?

â?oSlaves purchased for the Royal African Company of England were branded
â?~DY,â?T Duke of York, after the president of the company,â? Beckles
wrote.

The troublesome namesake of New York did not doom the colony to be marked
forever as pro-slave. New York State passed a law to gradually emancipate
slaves in 1799, following successful abolitionist movements in Pennsylvania,
Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island, which outlawed slavery in the
decades after the revolution.

New England states were more willing to abolish slavery in part because it
had become unprofitable by the end of the Revolution. Agricultural life of
the northeast does not require the same amount of labor as harvesting
tobacco or picking cotton, which became the main cash crop of the South.

New York never fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War, though some in
New York flirted with the idea of letting the Union dissolve. Many of the
poor in New York, mainly Irish immigrants, viewed freed slaves as
competition for positions as laborers.

Just Wondering

Aug 18, 2017, 5:41:47 PM8/18/17
On 8/18/2017 3:21 PM, raykeller wrote:
> http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/17/new-york-is-named-after-a-horrendous-slave-trader/
>
> New York Is Named After A Horrendous Slave Trader
> Thomas Phippen | 9:00 PM 08/17/2017
>
> New York, both the city and the state, is named after the house of York and
> particularly for James Stuart, then Duke of York, one of the most successful
> slavers in colonial American history.
>
> President Donald Trump wondered aloud during a raucous press conference
> Tuesday whether the impulse to tear down memorials to leaders of the
> Confederacy like Gen. Robert E. Lee would slip into calls to remove
> monuments to America's founders, like Thomas Jefferson and George
> Washington, both of whom owned slaves.

Next, people will be clamoring to remove Col. Sanders
as the symbol for KFC.

Winston Smith

Aug 18, 2017, 8:22:37 PM8/18/17
On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 15:41:42 -0600, Just Wondering wrote:
>On 8/18/2017 3:21 PM, raykeller wrote:

>> http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/17/new-york-is-named-after-a-horrendous-slave-trader/
>> New York Is Named After A Horrendous Slave Trader
>> New York, both the city and the state, is named after the house of York and
>> particularly for James Stuart, then Duke of York, one of the most successful
>> slavers in colonial American history.

>Next, people will be clamoring to remove Col. Sanders
>as the symbol for KFC.

One of my all time favorite Playboy cartoons, from the days hippies
and pot were big subjects. Two Feds are dragging away the Colonel
saying "We just got back the lab analysis of those 23 secret herbs and
spices.

Mr. B1ack

Aug 18, 2017, 9:33:32 PM8/18/17
On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 14:21:39 -0700, "raykeller"
<whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
wrote:

>http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/17/new-york-is-named-after-a-horrendous-slave-trader/
>
>New York Is Named After A Horrendous Slave Trader
>Thomas Phippen | 9:00 PM 08/17/2017
>
>New York, both the city and the state, is named after the house of York and
>particularly for James Stuart, then Duke of York, one of the most successful
>slavers in colonial American history.

Well then ... we'll just have to tear it down I suppose .......

They can rebuild "New Amsterdam" on its ashes.

rbowman

Aug 19, 2017, 12:08:57 AM8/19/17
Albany has to go too. James II was also Duke of Albany and that's where
its name came from. It can be called the original Fort Orange named
after the House of Orange-Nassau. Nassua is still Nassau so that's
okay. Let's just change the name back to New Netherland and kick out
everyone not of German or Dutch heritage. I might even be able to go
home to Rensselaerwyck...

sloc...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2017, 4:55:42 AM8/19/17
On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 21:33:24 -0400, Mr. B1ack <now...@nada.net>
wrote:
No, you can't do that as that is a reference to the Netherlands, and
Dutch living in both "The Spice Islands" and "The Cape Colony" kept
slaves, and the VOC (Dutch East India Company) traded in slaves.

Jim Wilkins

Aug 19, 2017, 7:36:57 AM8/19/17
<sloc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Native American names aren't "pure" either, they captured and traded
slaves too, such as Sacagawea. She was useful as a guide and
translator because Hidatsa slave raiders had captured her in Shoshone
territory far upriver (Salmon, Idaho).

Winston Smith

Aug 19, 2017, 4:00:17 PM8/19/17
On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 21:33:24 -0400, Mr. B1ack wrote:
>On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 14:21:39 -0700, "raykeller" wrote:

>>New York, both the city and the state, is named after the house of York and
>>particularly for James Stuart, then Duke of York, one of the most successful
>>slavers in colonial American history.
>
>Well then ... we'll just have to tear it down I suppose .......
>They can rebuild "New Amsterdam" on its ashes.

What happened to "diversity" ? I thought that was such a good thing.
Embrace and celebrate daily. Liberal logic is a flexible thing.

I heard a lady on the radio, didn't catch her name, Katie I think,
British accent.

She reported on several less spectacular (but deadly) terrorist
attacks in the last two or three days in Europe that we have not heard
about here. Then she made a good point.

When one whacko goes jihad and kills some people, that has nothing to
do with Islam, it's just one nut acting on their own.

When one whacko goes nuts and kills people in Charleston, that's not
one person, it's an action of the entire right. Liberal logic is a
flexible thing.

Mr. B1ack

Aug 19, 2017, 6:10:57 PM8/19/17
On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 13:00:08 -0700, Winston Smith
<inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 21:33:24 -0400, Mr. B1ack wrote:
>>On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 14:21:39 -0700, "raykeller" wrote:
>
>>>New York, both the city and the state, is named after the house of York and
>>>particularly for James Stuart, then Duke of York, one of the most successful
>>>slavers in colonial American history.
>>
>>Well then ... we'll just have to tear it down I suppose .......
>>They can rebuild "New Amsterdam" on its ashes.
>
>What happened to "diversity" ? I thought that was such a good thing.
>Embrace and celebrate daily. Liberal logic is a flexible thing.

You're not allowed to say that.

They have a cage of hungry rats ready for you.
Please queue for room 101.

Larry Jaques

Aug 19, 2017, 8:17:39 PM8/19/17
http://hankeringforhistory.com/history-slavery-africa/

-
I am a Transfinancial--A rich person born in a poor person's body.
Please stop the hate by sending me money to resolve my money
identity disorder. --anon

Scout

Aug 19, 2017, 11:57:01 PM8/19/17

"Mr. B1ack" <now...@nada.net> wrote in message
Sorry, there was slavery in New Amsterdam. You will need to come up with
another name.

Winston Smith

Aug 20, 2017, 12:27:03 AM8/20/17
On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 23:56:46 -0400, "Scout" wrote:
>"Mr. B1ack" wrote
>>
>> They can rebuild "New Amsterdam" on its ashes.
>
>Sorry, there was slavery in New Amsterdam. You will need to come up with
>another name.

Even then, before even that, how can we ever make up for that $24
worth of beads scam we ran on the poor unsuspecting Indians. Oops,
excuse me, Indigenous Americans.

sloc...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2017, 2:55:40 AM8/20/17
The truth of the matter is that nearly every nation/country throughout
has, or does, keep slaves.

And, the Civil war was not fought over the slavery question, per se,
although that was an extremely good excuse to raise a hue and cry.

PaxPerPoten

Aug 20, 2017, 3:11:17 AM8/20/17
Yeah well...those Native Americans are now cleaning up on those beads
selling them on "Antiques Road Show". ;-p

ages who mean to govern well, but *They mean to govern*. They promise to
be good masters, *but they mean to be masters*. Daniel Webster

Scout

Aug 20, 2017, 3:54:37 AM8/20/17

"Winston Smith" <inv...@butterfly.net> wrote in message
Given what we paid for the Louisiana purchase...the Indians probably owe us
a refund. They were massively overpaid for that little scrap of land.

Heck, we paid even less for Alaska for the amount of land bought.

Na, $24 was highly overpriced.

Mr. B1ack

Aug 20, 2017, 9:59:05 PM8/20/17
On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 23:56:46 -0400, "Scout"
Jessie Jackson City ???

Oh wait, Andrew Jackson wasn't 100% PC ....

Winston Smith

Aug 20, 2017, 10:15:28 PM8/20/17
On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 21:58:57 -0400, Mr. B1ack wrote:
>On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 23:56:46 -0400, "Scout"wrote:
>>"Mr. B1ack" wrote

>>> Well then ... we'll just have to tear it down I suppose .......
>>> They can rebuild "New Amsterdam" on its ashes.
>>
>>Sorry, there was slavery in New Amsterdam. You will need to come up with
>>another name.
>
> Jessie Jackson City ???
> Oh wait, Andrew Jackson wasn't 100% PC ....

Oh, you want PC? How about 0bamalopolis. Instead of Mayor, 0bama can
be the first in a long, illustrious line of City Organizers.

Not a cushy job you understand. A cheap office in a walk up in a run
down building in one of the seedier neighborhoods. No money wasted on
security either. Let him get the feel of the hood.

Odd, the spell checker accepted 0bamalopolis. Oh-oh, looking under the
table ....

Gunner Asch

Aug 20, 2017, 11:01:08 PM8/20/17
On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 21:58:57 -0400, Mr. B1ack <now...@nada.net>
wrote:
Oh...you folks have seen this..right?

April 13, 2017 12:37PM
GAO Weighs In On “Countering Violent Extremism”
By Patrick G. Eddington
Share

The ongoing controversy and litigation over the Trump administration’s
“Muslim ban” has reignited a debate that has raged since the 9/11
attacks: Who commits more domestic terrorism–violent Salafists or
traditional “right wing” extremists? According to a Government
Accountability Office (GAO) report, it’s the latter and by a very wide
margin. From p. 4 of GAO’s report:

Of the 85 violent extremist incidents that resulted in death since
September 12, 2001, far right wing violent extremist groups were
responsible for 62 (73 percent) while radical Islamist violent
extremists were responsible for 23 (27 percent).

But as researchers at the Georgia State recently reported, media
coverage of terrorist incidents makes it seem as if terrorism is
almost exclusively perpetrated by Muslims:

We examined news coverage from LexisNexis Academic and CNN.com for
all terrorist attacks in the United States between 2011 and 2015.
Controlling for target type, fatalities, and being arrested, attacks
by Muslim perpetrators received, on average, 449% more coverage than
other attacks. Given the disproportionate quantity of news coverage
for these attacks, it is no wonder that people are afraid of the
Muslim terrorist. More representative media coverage could help to
bring public perception of terrorism in line with reality.

That incident-media reporting disconnect is matched by another: the
notion that Arab/Muslim-Americans are more susceptible to
radicalization, and thus to becoming terrorists, and that there are a
discreet set of reliable indicators that will tell authorities who is
or is not more likely to become a terrorist.

The same month the Georgia State researchers released their
terrorism-media bias findings, the Brennan Center released a report on
the state of the debate and federal “countering violent extremism”
(CVE) programs. Citing dozens of empirical studies and recognized
experts in the fields of criminology, psychology, and intelligence,
the report states “Extreme or radical views are often assumed to lie
at the heart of terrorism. But evidence shows that the overwhelming
majority of people who hold radical beliefs do not engage in, nor
support, violence.”

With respect to the alleged role of Salafist ideology in motivating
domestic acts of terror, the Brennan Center study quotes the FBI’s own
assessment on the topic:

It is difficult to quantify the degree to which Islamist materials
and ideologues — such as Anwar al-Aulaqi (US Person), Abdullah
e-Faisal, and Feiz Muhammed, all of whom appeal to English-speaking
audiences — played a part in the radicalization of the persons
included in this assessment. … While Internet personalities are often
cited as a source of radicalization, factors outside the scope of this
assessment — such as social environment and personal psychology (how a
person processes both external and internal messaging) — were also
influential.

As for claims that there are a combination of indicators that, if
detected early enough, can tell family, friends, or local authorities
who may be on the path to terrorism, the Brennan Center report uses
the research and conclusions of former CIA officer Marc Sageman to
rebut the notion. “…we still do not know what leads people to engage
in political violence. Attempts to discern a terrorist ‘profile’ or to
model terrorist behavior have failed to yield lasting insights.”

That hasn’t stopped the FBI, via it’s now-infamous “Don’t Be A Puppet”
website, from continuing to peddle the debunked “terrorist profile”
concept. And as the Brennan Center report lays out, the FBI is only
one of a number of federal, state, or local entities using discredited
“terrorist profile” models.

Unfortunately, the Senate and House members who originally requested
that GAO look at federal CVE programs–including Senate Homeland
Security and Government Affairs Chairman Ron Johnson (R-WI) and
ranking member Claire McCaskill (D-MO), along with House Homeland
Security Committee ranking member Bennie Thompson (D-MS)–did not ask
GAO to evaluate the theories and assumptions underlying federal CVE
programs. Accordingly, the audit offers recommendations for tinkering
with programs that discriminatorily and disproportionately target the
Arab/Muslim-American community on the basis of long-since debunked
notions about who and why someone becomes a terrorist.

House and Senate members need to base federal counterterrorism
policies on facts–such as the role U.S. foreign policy in the Arab and
Muslim world plays in fueling terrorism. Members of Congress who want
to win the war of “hearts and minds” vis a vis ISIS need to remember
that our greatest weapon is a strict adherence to constitutional norms
of free association and speech, and that targeting fellow citizens of
Arab descent or the Muslim faith for evidence-free surveillance and
political repression only validates the ISIS narrative that America is
at war with the Muslim and Arab world.

---

Scout

Aug 20, 2017, 11:16:38 PM8/20/17

"Mr. B1ack" <now...@nada.net> wrote in message
Jessie Jackson is a racist, but even ignoring that he's presented awards to
Trump. That makes him a Neo-Nazi supporter......according to the leftist
assertions.

Try again.

> Oh wait, Andrew Jackson wasn't 100% PC ....

Slave owner.

Try again.

Scout

Aug 20, 2017, 11:46:42 PM8/20/17

> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 21:58:57 -0400, Mr. B1ack wrote:
>>On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 23:56:46 -0400, "Scout"wrote:
>>>"Mr. B1ack" wrote

>>>Sorry, there was slavery in New Amsterdam. You will need to come up with
>>>another name.
>>
>> Jessie Jackson City ???
>> Oh wait, Andrew Jackson wasn't 100% PC ....
>
> Oh, you want PC? How about 0bamalopolis. Instead of Mayor, 0bama can
> be the first in a long, illustrious line of City Organizers.

Sorry, we can't name cities after racists.

bruce2...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2017, 8:48:13 AM8/21/17
On 8/18/2017 3:21 PM, raykeller wrote:
> http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/17/new-york-is-named-after-a-horrendous-slave-trader/
>
> New York Is Named After A Horrendous Slave Trader
> Thomas Phippen | 9:00 PM 08/17/2017
>
> New York, both the city and the state, is named after the house of York and
> particularly for James Stuart, then Duke of York, one of the most successful
> slavers in colonial American history.
>
> President Donald Trump wondered aloud during a raucous press conference
> Tuesday whether the impulse to tear down memorials to leaders of the
> Confederacy like Gen. Robert E. Lee would slip into calls to remove
> monuments to America's founders, like Thomas Jefferson and George
> Washington

New York was the British colonist name. Before that, it was named Nieww Amsterdam while Holland controlled it. And before that the French had named it New Angouleme.

The first peoples of New York are estimated to have arrived around 10,000 BC. The five nations of the Iroquois League were there right before colonization.

Mr. B1ack

Aug 21, 2017, 10:31:52 AM8/21/17
Sigh ... we'll just have to number them I guess. Are
there any 'racist' numbers ? Which gets to be "City
666" ? Vegas ? How about "City 911" ? :-)

Do we start numbering from the east coast or the
west coast ? The sun comes up in the east - but
the sun is really bright white so that might *imply* ...
oh, and there's more "white" people in the north ...
can't have any crypto-racism ya know !

So ... numbered states with numbered cities with
numbered streets and buildings and parks filled
with numbered people. No names for anything
because somehow, some way, somebody will
discover how a name is some sort of "-ist" and
a huge oppressive insult on some poor little group.

Have a good day 288462-017732 ... say Hi to all
the 017732 family ! :-)

Red Prepper

Aug 21, 2017, 11:34:04 AM8/21/17
On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 23:43:36 -0400, "Scout"
<me4...@removethis.this2.spam.centurylink.net> wrote:
They aren't really cities, more like scattered cardboard shack
O'boovervilles along the highways.

Gunner Asch

Aug 21, 2017, 4:59:07 PM8/21/17

Charlottesville "Nazi" Outed as Leftist Activist

Scout

Aug 21, 2017, 6:50:08 PM8/21/17

> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 23:43:36 -0400, "Scout"
> <me4...@removethis.this2.spam.centurylink.net> wrote:
>

>>"Winston Smith" <inv...@butterfly.net> wrote in message

>>> Oh, you want PC? How about 0bamalopolis. Instead of Mayor, 0bama can
>>> be the first in a long, illustrious line of City Organizers.
>>
>>Sorry, we can't name cities after racists.
>
> Sigh ... we'll just have to number them I guess. Are
> there any 'racist' numbers ? Which gets to be "City
> 666" ? Vegas ? How about "City 911" ? :-)

Oh, so now you're going to number them as if they were prisoners?

Number Two: You are Number Six.
Number Six: I am not a number! I am a free man!
Number Two: [laughs]

Winston Smith

Aug 21, 2017, 7:55:26 PM8/21/17
On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 18:42:15 -0400, "Scout" wrote:
>"Mr. B1ack" wrote
>>
>> Sigh ... we'll just have to number them I guess. Are
>> there any 'racist' numbers ? Which gets to be "City
>> 666" ? Vegas ? How about "City 911" ? :-)
>
>Oh, so now you're going to number them as if they were prisoners?
>
>Number Two: You are Number Six.
>Number Six: I am not a number! I am a free man!
>Number Two: [laughs]

Number Twos came and went with the fortune of events. Sort of like
Presidents. Curious to ponder, we never got a clue about Number One.

Scout

Aug 21, 2017, 8:40:20 PM8/21/17

"Winston Smith" <inv...@butterfly.net> wrote in message
We got clues, the problem is no one can seem to come up with a coherent
solution.

rbowman

Aug 21, 2017, 8:53:12 PM8/21/17
On 08/19/2017 02:00 PM, Winston Smith wrote:
> What happened to "diversity" ? I thought that was such a good thing.
> Embrace and celebrate daily. Liberal logic is a flexible thing.

I enjoy diversity as much as anyone. Norwegians, Irish, Germans, Finns
and even a Cousin Jack or two, male and female, we've got them all.

rbowman

Aug 21, 2017, 8:55:58 PM8/21/17
Let's just cut it lose and let it float out to sea...