Microsoft backports data slurp to Windows 7 and 8 via patches,,, Win 10 spyware comes to 7, 8.1

raykeller

Sep 4, 2015, 3:42:57 PM9/4/15

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/3331984/posts

Microsoft backports data slurp to Windows 7 and 8 via patches
Win 10 spyware comes to 7, 8.1

Now Microsoft is revamping the user-tracking tools in Windows 7 and 8 to
harvest more data, via some new patches.

All the updates can be removed post-installation ā?" but all ensure the OS
reports data to Microsoft even when asked not to, bypassing the hosts file
and (hence) third-party privacy tools. This data can include how long you
use apps, and which features you use the most, snapshots of memory to
investigate crashes, and so on.

The updates are KB3068708 ("Update for customer experience and diagnostic
telemetry" and mandatory) KB3075249 ("Update that adds telemetry points to
consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7") and KB3080149 (also an "Update
for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry", both optional).

The notes explain that diagnostic telemetry data is sent to
settings-win.data.microsoft.com (64.4.54.253) over SSL. Privacy advocates
note that the OS is hardwired to use that hostname, so trying to override
the IP address it resolves to using your PC's hosts file won't work.

I verified the existence of the Windows Update patches in question on my own
Windows 7 machines, and removed them using the instructions on this page:
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/28/microsoft-intensifies-data-collection-on-windows-7-and-8-systems/
The Command Prompt instructions are of this form:
wusa /uninstall /kb:NNNNNNN /norestart
where "NNNNNNN" is the KB number of the Windows Update.

to nuke all of this crap on W7:

from an admin account, select Programs and Features from control panel,
select View Installed Updates from the left, wait until that finishes
finding all the updates (could be a few minutes), then use the search box to
search for each of:

KB3035583
KB3022345
KB3068708
KB3075249
KB3080149

find one at a time, and if found (not all will necessarily be there), right
click and uninstall each one in turn.

check Change Settings on the left in Windows Update selected from Control
Panel and make sure Install Updates Automatically IS NOT selected.

when all are uninstalled, reboot, which btw way can take hours sometimes
after these are uninstalled (i have no idea what that BS is about;
retribution by MS?).

after the reboot, go back to control panel, select Windows Update, then
Check for Updates. Find all the ones you just deleted, uncheck them, right
click and select Hide Update.

Also, check to see if C:\$Windows.~BT exists, which is the Windows 10
installer. If so, it can be wasting up to 12GB, so nuke it with cleanmgr
started from a cmd window. once cleanmgr finishes its initial (very lengthy)
scan, you should select Clean up system files, which will do another very
lengthy scan, then check the box for that folder and select OK to nuke it.

You just have to love this description from Microsoft's own page about the
updates:
This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to
in-market devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the
latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet been upgraded...
Oh, now I see...

It's not spyware, it's a "service".

It's not spyware, it's a "benefit".

Oh, and this is for your systems "that have NOT YET been upgraded" --
because we WILL see to it that your systems get upgraded...

Geez, Louise, all I wanted was a damned operating system so I could get some
work done and surf the internet a little...

Ya know, Sword, I have become disillusioned...
Back in the (we're talking late 60's into early 70's here), computers were
HARDWARE, and the software that came with them -- things like OS360 and
FORTRAN and COBOL -- were seen as enhancements to the hardware. Almost
accessories -- necessary, but not the real computer.

As time went on, we all realized that computers were, in fact, SYSTEMS of
hardware plus software.

Bill Gates whined about us hobbyists with early personal computer hardware
using his software without paying for it. His software was useless without
hardware. Microsoft never really GOT that the important thing about a
computer was it should be a SYSTEM. Not just software.

Google went one step further and didn't even produce software -- they only
collected and sold INFORMATION. Well, surprise, the company (Google) that
exists for INFORMATION wants to gather your information and sell it.

And... SURPRISE!! the company (Microsoft) that exists for SOFTWARE wants to
gather your information and sell it. Because they don't make and sell
SYSTEMS.

Apple makes and sells SYSTEMS. And... SO FAR... they have been on the better
side of not gathering their users' information and selling it. They control
their SYSTEMS ecosystem with an iron fist, and they maintain their walled
garden, and they are at times arrogant and all that... but they aren't
gathering our information and selling it. SO FAR... they aren't a threat.
Let us hope that Apple maintains their focus on doing SYSTEMS.

Meanwhile, the Linux folks don't seem to gather anything, or sell it to
anybody. And they're often nearly broke. They aren't a threat, either.

Here's the disillusionment. It disappoints me greatly that Microsoft has
apparently decided it is more important to gather their users' information
secretly and lie about it than it is to provide a worthwhile product that
simply does what the user needs.

That's why I posted this thread from the Register article about Win7 and
Win8.1 going the same route as Win10. I hate to see a great company I have
trusted and relied on for many years for my professional tools, acting so
untrustworthy and unreliably. I hope they come to their senses.

Run the following from an administrative command prompt:
wusa /uninstall /kb:[kbNumber]

It took less than a minute to uninstall all 5 updates.

These are considered optional updates and do not install automatically
unless you have automatic updates turned on to not require any user
interaction.

yes, hereā?Ts a crude script to do that:
@echo off

wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /norestart

still need to manually check autoupdates and remove W10 installer directory

much more... see all comments

raykeller

Sep 4, 2015, 4:05:31 PM9/4/15

"raykeller"
<whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
wrote in message news:mscs4g$9st$1...@dont-email.me...
Fuck microsoft
When xp becomes unuseable I'm going to linux

Jon Elson

Sep 4, 2015, 5:54:49 PM9/4/15
raykeller wrote:

> Fuck microsoft
> When xp becomes unuseable I'm going to linux

Well, of course, you cound do that right now! I've been using Linux since
1998 for most of my computing, other than one CAD application that is
Windows, only. Works great, and much easier to install and use than in the
early days.

Jon

F. George McDuffee

Sep 4, 2015, 6:19:48 PM9/4/15
On Fri, 4 Sep 2015 12:42:49 -0700, "raykeller"
<whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
wrote:

<snip>
>Geez, Louise, all I wanted was a damned operating system so I could get some
>work done and surf the internet a little...
</snip>

One man's benefit/upgrade/feature is another man's spy ware.

as an alternative to M$ Windows try
http://www.ubuntu.com/download
for free as is all the software

Manual also available
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Ubuntu-Windows-Mac-Users/dp/1484206096/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1441405022&sr=1-11&keywords=ubuntu

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"

Frank

Sep 4, 2015, 6:22:40 PM9/4/15
On 9/4/2015 3:42 PM, raykeller wrote:
> http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/3331984/posts
>
> Microsoft backports data slurp to Windows 7 and 8 via patches
> Win 10 spyware comes to 7, 8.1
>
> Now Microsoft is revamping the user-tracking tools in Windows 7 and 8 to
> harvest more data, via some new patches.
>
> All the updates can be removed post-installation â?" but all ensure the OS
> yes, hereâ?Ts a crude script to do that:
> @echo off
>
> wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /norestart
>
> wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /norestart
>
> wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /norestart
>
> wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /norestart
>
> wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /norestart
>
> still need to manually check autoupdates and remove W10 installer directory

> much more... see all comments

I went to Win 10 and had to reset all the privacy settings.
Otherwise it took an extra minute to shutdown as MS collected data.
Will have to check our Win 7 machine to see if there is crap to remove.

1AEYQ.☢_ M°i°g°h°t°y ☮ W°a°n°n°a°b°e _☢.RM6SV

Sep 4, 2015, 6:44:18 PM9/4/15
Frank wrote on 04/09/2015 18:22:

> I went to Win 10 and had to reset all the privacy settings.
> Otherwise it took an extra minute to shutdown as MS collected data.
> Will have to check our Win 7 machine to see if there is crap to remove.

You are doing the right thing. Learn to live with Win 10 instead of
holding onto the past.

This free "TinyWall" firewall is a nifty little software programme to
control your network and your internet connection. It can stop Win 10
and other spyware from connecting to the internet.

It doesn't prompt you like many other firewalls. You can put it in "auto
learn" mode for a while, and then go into "manage" panel to remove
anything that you cannot recognize.

There is a slight learning curve to this software but the reward is
good. You should be OK as a retired Chemical Engineer.

* http://tinywall.pados.hu/ *

PaxPerPoten

Sep 5, 2015, 1:54:23 AM9/5/15
On 9/4/2015 3:05 PM, raykeller wrote:
> "raykeller"
> <whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
> wrote in message news:mscs4g$9st$1...@dont-email.me...
>>>

> Fuck microsoft
> When xp becomes unuseable I'm going to linux

Try Kali.... And if you don't like the Browser in it use Firefox or TOR.
All available on net.

ages who mean to govern well, but *They mean to govern*. They promise to
be good masters, *but they mean to be masters*. Daniel Webster

mike

Sep 6, 2015, 11:10:23 AM9/6/15
How does ANY software firewall running on the same system block M$?
They can spy before allowing the firewall to start.
They can spy during shutdown after the firewall stops.
They can use non-standard protocols to bypass ANYTHING.
Don't you need some external device between the computer and the
internet to block M$ from doing anything they damn well please???
Even then, if they can't connect, they have the option to lock you
out of anything/everything until you "fix" their problem and let them spy.

All this fervor will eventually die down as we bend over and accept
whatever they want. Resistance is futile. Desktop linux is not a
viable option.

Get another tube of K-Y, you'll be fine.

tGogo.☢_ M°i°g°h°t°y ☮ W°a°n°n°a°b°e _☢.SRyQp

Sep 6, 2015, 11:43:55 AM9/6/15
A firewall can block internet, both incoming and outgoing, by
controlling the "ports" in your computer.

Yes, you can block Microsoft from sending your information back to Big
Brother by using a firewall.

If you go into the firewall settings to block some of the Windows
processes from accessing the internet, your computer's functionality may
be hindered.

However, you can let the Windows process pass through the firewall when
you feel something in Windows is not working properly, and then shut it
out again after the process has done what it needs to do if you are
really paranoid about Microsoft snooping on you.

Another good free firewall will show you the processes in better
understandable long names (rather than just the short generic filename)
so you can easily figure out what process is trying to get through.

PrivateFirewall
* https://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html *

Some spyware would try to disguise itself as one of the Windows
processes. That will be the job of anti-virus software to spot them.

Bert

Sep 6, 2015, 11:46:31 AM9/6/15
In news:WaZGx.582560$sA.3...@fe20.am1
=?UTF-8?B?dEdvZ28u4piiXyBNwrBpwrBnwrBowrB0wrB5IOKYriBXwrBhwrBuwrBuwrBh?=
=?UTF-8?B?wrBiwrBlIF/imKIuU1J5UXA=?= <GZ...@mWyPX.com> wrote:

> Yes, you can block Microsoft from sending your information back to Big
> Brother by using a firewall.

If it's a software firewall that relies on services provided by the
underlying OS, and the maker of the OS decides that the firewall is
getting in its way, the firewall will be essentially useless.

--
be...@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

YWsJi.☢_ M°i°g°h°t°y ☮ W°a°n°n°a°b°e _☢.wITON

Sep 6, 2015, 12:45:54 PM9/6/15
Bert wrote on 06/09/2015 11:44:

> If it's a software firewall that relies on services provided by the
> underlying OS, and the maker of the OS decides that the firewall is
> getting in its way, the firewall will be essentially useless.

The OS is a collections of "processes". The Windows kernel processes
control and spawn other processes.

Your firewall software must let some of the Windows processes through
the firewall so that the OS can function properly (like checking for
updates).

You can monitor what's going in and out of your computer, either
internally or externally. If the kernel process from Windows is
streaming out your information without your consent, millions of IT
experts working on anti-virus, anti-spyware would have found out by now.

Windows 10 is trying to do just that by obtaining your "hidden consent"
in their software agreement when you install.

You have to click "Start" - "Settings" - "Privacy", go through the menu
on the left hand side, and deselect all those spying tools that are
built into Windows 10.

rbowman

Sep 6, 2015, 1:23:20 PM9/6/15
On 09/06/2015 09:10 AM, mike wrote:
> Desktop linux is not a viable option.

It is for me.

mike

Sep 6, 2015, 7:14:48 PM9/6/15
You're not paying attention.
When the OS boots, it's running M$ code exclusively. It can do
any damn thing it wants, like uploading a spyware log file,
because it does not rely on ANYTHING you
installed or configured or wished were true. You can't monitor anything
because you haven't loaded anything yet.

pHGLv.☢_ M°i°g°h°t°y ☮ W°a°n°n°a°b°e _☢.eSEGE

Sep 6, 2015, 8:15:09 PM9/6/15
I did pay attention. I've addressed that problem. My answer is still
quoted above in this post.

Here I repeat so you don't have to look for it:
//
You can monitor what's going in and out of your computer, either
internally or externally. If the kernel process from Windows is
streaming out your information without your consent, millions of IT
experts working on anti-virus, anti-spyware would have found out by now.
//

What you have described can happen if Windows kernel is infected by
spyware, but Bill Gates himself won't do that because he knows it is
illegal and FBI knows where to find him.

Anti-spyware and anti-virus software know those kernel file sizes and
checksums. Any competent security software can spot those infected files.

D-FENS

Sep 6, 2015, 9:13:04 PM9/6/15
Ditto.

--
"A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny
gun ownership to the bourgeoisie." - - Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

http://globalgulag.us

rbowman

Sep 6, 2015, 10:22:53 PM9/6/15
On 09/06/2015 10:45 AM, YWsJi.☢_ M°i°g°h°t°y ☮ W°a°n°n°a°b°e _☢.wITON wrote:
> You have to click "Start" - "Settings" - "Privacy", go through the menu
> on the left hand side, and deselect all those spying tools that are
> built into Windows 10.

On Windows 'perfmon /res' will bring up a dialog with several tabs. The
network tab will show you which processes are making network
connections, what IP they are connecting to, and how much data is being
transferred.

mike

Sep 7, 2015, 12:39:06 AM9/7/15
Yes, and I see that you won't be changing your mind.
I'm just addressing those who might consider a different mindset.

> Here I repeat so you don't have to look for it:
> //
> You can monitor what's going in and out of your computer, either
> internally or externally. If the kernel process from Windows is
> streaming out your information without your consent, millions of IT
> experts working on anti-virus, anti-spyware would have found out by now.
> //

And they have. They just don't talk about it in a metalworking
newsgroup. Go read the windows 10 group.

Now, there is some wiggle room in the word "consent".
You can't run the OS without giving consent. It's in the TOS.
You have some options
in the setup menus, but you have given consent.

> What you have described can happen if Windows kernel is infected by
> spyware, but Bill Gates himself won't do that because he knows it is
> illegal and FBI knows where to find him.

It's not illegal if you gave consent. Go up a couple of lines for info
on that. The thing you call the OS kernel does not have to be
running for them to take anything they want from your computer without
your knowledge.

The bottom line is that the owner of the OS can do anything they want
before they let you load/install/configure/conjure your event monitoring
or blocking software. There is absolutely nothing you can do about that
after the fact. Collection of the data will not trigger your firewall.
Sending the data can be done before your firewall activates.
Continuous updates will guarantee that your computer restarts frequently.

> Anti-spyware and anti-virus software know those kernel file sizes and
> checksums. Any competent security software can spot those infected files.

You must be consuming the linux kool-aid. The "infection" could be designed
into the OS and the checksums always match cuz nobody changed nothin'.

Let me put it into survivalism notation.
You're renting a house. The rental agreement says that what's yours
is theirs.
If the owner is coming to steal your stuff, you can be vigilant and shoot
them...unless they sneak up and get between you and your gun before you
wake up. Remember, they built the house you're living in. They
know far more about it than you do. They can get your stuff without
waking you at all. A lotta damn good that gun did you.

Gunner Asch

Sep 8, 2015, 5:41:30 AM9/8/15
On Sun, 6 Sep 2015 19:13:01 -0600, D-FENS <D-F...@cox.net> wrote:

>On 09/06/2015 11:24 AM, rbowman wrote:
>> On 09/06/2015 09:10 AM, mike wrote:
>>> Desktop linux is not a viable option.
>>
>> It is for me.
>
>Ditto.

Ditto

Gunner Asch

Sep 8, 2015, 7:37:50 PM9/8/15
On Sat, 5 Sep 2015 00:54:26 -0500, PaxPerPoten <P...@USA.org> wrote:

>On 9/4/2015 3:05 PM, raykeller wrote:
>> "raykeller"
>> <whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
>> wrote in message news:mscs4g$9st$1...@dont-email.me...
>>>>

>> Fuck microsoft
>> When xp becomes unuseable I'm going to linux
>

>Try Kali.... And if you don't like the Browser in it use Firefox or TOR.
>All available on net.

Try Pale Moon

www.palemoon.org

http://www.palemoon.org/faq.shtml

Terry Coombs

Sep 8, 2015, 8:21:22 PM9/8/15
I tried Pale Moon , but it doesn't support adblock . I'm using Opera now ,
and like it overall . Couple of small irritations , but overall an
improvement over FF , and light years ahead of IE .

--
Snag

Gunner Asch

Sep 8, 2015, 11:17:35 PM9/8/15
On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 19:21:33 -0500, "Terry Coombs" <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:
Pale Moon has ad blockers built in. Nice thing to have.

Terry Coombs

Sep 9, 2015, 12:35:29 AM9/9/15
You might want to check that Gunner , I had MUCH more advertising with PM .

--
Snag

Gunner Asch

Sep 9, 2015, 2:36:42 AM9/9/15
On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 23:38:13 -0500, "Terry Coombs" <snag...@msn.com>
Which version? There have been a number of upgrades.

Ill download and check Kali though and thanks the the info

Terry Coombs

Sep 9, 2015, 8:53:04 AM9/9/15
That was Opera , if you're talking about the one I'm using .

--
Snag