Rosie the riveter's lathe?

marcid...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2018, 9:41:58 AM2/19/18
Hi Folks,

What is this machine?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/naomi-parker-fraley-wartime-machinist-linked-to-rosie-the-riveter-dies-at-96/2018/01/23/10335d0e-004e-11e8-8acf-ad2991367d9d_story.html?utm_term=.bb8abd1abc2c

The Washington Post article from which is comes refers to it as a turret lathe (2/3 the way down the article, and just a "lathe" elsewhere) in this obituary on "Rosie the Rivetter". But it looks more like a milling machine with a rotary table than a turret lathe. Is it a gear broach?

Anybody recognize it?

Dan

Red Prepper

Feb 19, 2018, 10:16:24 AM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 06:41:52 -0800 (PST), marcid...@gmail.com
wrote:
time=

-machinist-linked-to-rosie-the-riveter-dies-at-96/2018/01/23/10335d0e-0
04e-=
> 11e8-8acf-ad2991367d9d_story.html?utm_term=.bb8abd1abc2c

> The Washington Post article from which is comes refers to it as a
turret la=
> the (2/3 the way down the article, and just a "lathe" elsewhere) in
this ob=
> ituary on "Rosie the Rivetter". But it looks more like a milling
machine =
> with a rotary table than a turret lathe. Is it a gear broach?

> Anybody recognize it?

> Dan

Speaking of Rosie, my pecker is getting quite rosie red from all the
blowjobs Ed Huntress the Cunt in a Dress is giving out over in
alt.survival.

Ed Huntress

Feb 19, 2018, 10:36:08 AM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 06:41:52 -0800 (PST), marcid...@gmail.com
wrote:

I don't think it's a lathe of any kind. It looks like a
special-purpose bed-type milling machine, built to handle that big
rotary table. The drive shaft suggests that it's a production machine,
but it looks like she's locating the setup with the handwheels -- for
an operation that could have no possible relation to the powered
shaft. Here's a sharper version of that photo:

https://tinyurl.com/y9wycx3u

I question whether the photo is of a real operation, or whether it was
cooked up for the photo. The reason I say that is that there's a gear
fixtured on top, and a toolholder that looks like it could be for a
shaping operation. But the toolholder doesn't look like it's holding a
shaping tool. And there's no way, in wartime production or any kind of
production, that you would cut a gear like that with a single-point
cutting tool making straight cuts. Even if you did, one of the
handwheels would have a big and obvious index-pin dial on it.

The whole setup is screwy. The lathe chuck on top, on top of all of
that fixturing, looks like a kludge. There is no way you'd use a chuck
that way for gear work. And if the suggestion is that she's indicating
or gaging <spelling intentional> a gear tooth, there is no apparent
way to accomplish the measuring. And that is no freaking measuring
machine.

I'd give it four Pinocchios. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins

Feb 19, 2018, 11:09:07 AM2/19/18
<marcid...@gmail.com> wrote in message
=================

There were multiple Rosies, one a local NH woman:
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/04/29/rosie-riverter-lansing/26596263/

Red Prepper

Feb 19, 2018, 11:15:23 AM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:49:34 -0500, Ed Huntress
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:
> >blowjobs I'm getting over in alt.survival.

> Don't forget the sunscreen when you troll the schoolyards with your
> pecker hanging out, Pecker.

> --
> Ed Huntress

Aw look everyone, Ed Huntress the Cuntdress from New Jersey found his
way to our newsgroup to troll for gay sex again.

children here for you to molest you gay pedophile in a dress.

Jim Wilkins

Feb 19, 2018, 11:21:00 AM2/19/18

"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Jim Wilkins

Feb 19, 2018, 11:45:32 AM2/19/18
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
It looks to me like a lash-up to broach an oddball keyway or splines,
unless somone just placed the gear atop the jaws for appearance. I
suspect it was chosen for the photo to show her face next to something
complex and exotic-looking that wasn't in use, covered with oily chips
and spewing them toward the camera.
-jsw

Jim Wilkins

Feb 19, 2018, 11:59:30 AM2/19/18
"Jim Wilkins" <murat...@gmail.com> wrote in message
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonal_method

Ed Huntress

Feb 19, 2018, 12:10:36 PM2/19/18
First, that Tiny URL I posted above doesn't seem to work. That's the
first time that's ever happened for me. Tiny URL seems to have a
problem with the full URL. Here's the full one:

https://www.gettyimages.com/pictures/naomi-parker-fraley-15509845?irgwc=1&esource=AFF_GI_IR_VigLink_27795&asid=VigLink&cid=GI#pretty-naomi-parker-is-as-easy-to-look-at-as-overtime-pay-on-the-picture-id515383728

It's physically possible that it's set up to cut a keyway, but I still
don't believe the setup. It's an awful kludge. And if it's intended to
cut splines, how is she indexing it? Finally, if that's figured out, I
hope she's not in a hurry -- it's not like there was a war going on or
something. <g>

--
Ed Huntress

rbowman

Feb 19, 2018, 12:34:03 PM2/19/18
On 02/19/2018 08:49 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 09:16:19 -0600, Red Prepper <r...@red.com> wrote:
>
>> blowjobs I'm getting over in alt.survival.
>
> Don't forget the sunscreen when you troll the schoolyards with your
> pecker hanging out, Pecker.

Ed, thanks so much for cross-posting your shit to alt.survival. From the
subject, I'd guess it started in r.c.m.

Ed Huntress

Feb 19, 2018, 1:28:26 PM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:21:35 -0700, Peace in our time <pe...@time.net>
wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:49:34 -0500, Ed Huntress
><hunt...@optonline.net> spammed:
>alt.survival,talk.politics.misc,alt.news-media,la.general,alt.politics.clinton
>from an original thread in just rec.crafts.metalworking
>
>>Don't forget the sunscreen when you troll the schoolyards with your
>>pecker hanging out, Pecker.
>
>Spam your own group instead of spreading your insanity all over the
>web. You claim to be the grown-up; prove it. Thank you.

That was just a reply to something that came from whatever group
you're posting from. Did you also post this message to the poster who
included your group in the list? No? And why not?

Pay attention to the headers. I didn't post the spam.

--

Ed Huntress

Jon Elson

Feb 19, 2018, 3:03:47 PM2/19/18
I think it is a shaper. The tool looks MUCH like a shaper tool, and seems
like it might be held in a clapper box, although it looks kind of different
from what I'm used to seeing. If the setup is the way it was used, and not
just something thrown together for the photo, then she would be cutting a
groove in the FACE of the gear.

Jon

Terry Coombs

Feb 19, 2018, 3:16:46 PM2/19/18
On 2/19/2018 11:34 AM, rbowman wrote:

> Ed, thanks so much for cross-posting your shit to alt.survival. From
> the subject, I'd guess it started in r.c.m.

  It did , and the only two posts that I see of Ed's over here are only
to RCM . I'm betting that someone else added all the other groups ...
someone called "Red" ... I don't think you read RCM , so I have trimmed
all the others and am cross posting only to alt.survival . Just looked ,
the only post from Ed in this thread has had RCM trimmed - and is a
response to that Red asshole .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

rbowman

Feb 19, 2018, 3:33:41 PM2/19/18
On 02/19/2018 01:17 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 2/19/2018 11:34 AM, rbowman wrote:
>>
>> Ed, thanks so much for cross-posting your shit to alt.survival. From
>> the subject, I'd guess it started in r.c.m.
>
> It did , and the only two posts that I see of Ed's over here are only
> to RCM . I'm betting that someone else added all the other groups ...
> someone called "Red" ... I don't think you read RCM , so I have trimmed
> all the others and am cross posting only to alt.survival . Just looked ,
> the only post from Ed in this thread has had RCM trimmed - and is a
> response to that Red asshole .

No, I am only subscribed to a.s. While I have been guilty in the past
of not stripping the multitude of news groups where the assholes live,
you might say I gave that up for Lent. With the exception of this post,
I'm going with a.s alone.

Leon Fisk

Feb 19, 2018, 4:28:58 PM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 12:10:16 -0500
Ed Huntress <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:

>First, that Tiny URL I posted above doesn't seem to work. That's the
>first time that's ever happened for me. Tiny URL seems to have a
>problem with the full URL. Here's the full one:
>
>https://www.gettyimages.com/pictures/naomi-parker-fraley-15509845?irgwc=1&esource=AFF_GI_IR_VigLink_27795&asid=VigLink&cid=GI#pretty-naomi-parker-is-as-easy-to-look-at-as-overtime-pay-on-the-picture-id515383728
>
>It's physically possible that it's set up to cut a keyway, but I still
>don't believe the setup. It's an awful kludge. And if it's intended to
>cut splines, how is she indexing it? Finally, if that's figured out, I
>hope she's not in a hurry -- it's not like there was a war going on or
>something. <g>

I didn't find an exact match, but what's called a "slotting machine"
seems to be close. Here are a few examples:

https://www.resale.info/en/stanko-7-a-420-slotting-machine-vertical/No-123348639

https://www.worldmach.com/metal-processing-machinry/stanko-7a412-slotting-machine.html

http://www.planomiller.co.in/elite-slotting-machine-4047350.html

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-industrial-machinery/other/slotting-machine-for-sale/1002130625730910191110509

They seem to be making them yet in many sizes...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Mr. B1ack

Feb 19, 2018, 4:46:46 PM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 09:16:19 -0600, Red Prepper <r...@red.com> wrote:

That may be a venereal disease ... better
have it checked before yer pecker turns
from red to black and falls off ..........

Ed Huntress

Feb 19, 2018, 5:31:48 PM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:17:46 -0600, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:

>On 2/19/2018 11:34 AM, rbowman wrote:
>>
>> Ed, thanks so much for cross-posting your shit to alt.survival. From
>> the subject, I'd guess it started in r.c.m.
>
>   It did , and the only two posts that I see of Ed's over here are only
>to RCM . I'm betting that someone else added all the other groups ...
>someone called "Red" ... I don't think you read RCM , so I have trimmed
>all the others and am cross posting only to alt.survival . Just looked ,
>the only post from Ed in this thread has had RCM trimmed - and is a
>response to that Red asshole .

Thanks Terry. To be fair to Robert (and something you two wouldn't
know unless you were reading both NGs), it was Red Prepper who piled
on the list of NGs and interjected slurs into the RCM thread, and I
replied to him by stripping out RCM and replacing it with
alt.survival.

It's not the kind of thing Iwould ordinarily do, but Red (aka "Red
Pecker") is trying to bugger up RCM in an attempt to get you guys to
killfile me. I just tossed my reply back to him in A.S.

He is a really vicious lowlife who lives on homoerotic slurs and
slander, and he'll walk all over you if you let him.

You''ll miss 95% of this crap if you killfile him or ignore him.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress

Feb 19, 2018, 5:41:14 PM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 17:28:51 -0400, Leon Fisk <lfi...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:
Yup. That's it. It's a kind of vertical shaper.

The setup, though, is still a kludge. <g>

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins

Feb 19, 2018, 5:57:58 PM2/19/18
"Leon Fisk" <lfi...@gmail.invalid> wrote in message
I thought so too, but searching for images of slotters quickly
consumed my meager daily ration of 3G wireless 'broadband' and dialup
is impractical for pictures.

The clapper box looks like a shaper's. The knee appears to rest on the
floor, though.

I have to agree that the photo doesn't quite make sense from the
available information.
-jsw

Red Prepper

Feb 19, 2018, 7:01:45 PM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:17:46 -0600, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:
Fuck yoy, you transvestite pedophile lover. That shot got here
because Ed Huntdress the Cuntinadress posted it here. I had nothing
to do with that post showing g up in alt.survival. Why don't you
stick your nose up Ed's cunt and huff until you die? You fucking RCM
crossposting assholes should be banished from usenet. Bunch.of cunts
in dresses fags.

Terry Coombs

Feb 19, 2018, 7:04:31 PM2/19/18
  I already have him in the bozobin , if you'd quit responding to him
I'd never see another of his posts ... Really Ed , why do you continue
to respond ? You gain nothing and he's getting what he's after - a
response . The fun for these pricks goes away when they don't get any
attention . Then they go somewhere else and leave us alone .

Red Prepper

Feb 19, 2018, 7:06:25 PM2/19/18
Fuck off you cunt. Your trolling in our newsgroup calls for drastic
measures. Nobody wants you here. Everyone you claimed to befriend for
"discussions" had called you a cunt in a dress and told you to Get
the fuck out of our newsgroup. Fuck your stank nasty cunt. Why do you
keep coming back here? There are no children here for you to molest.
We're all adults here. Go back to RCM where they love inhaling your
cunt fumes.

Jim Wilkins

Feb 19, 2018, 7:07:35 PM2/19/18
"Leon Fisk" <lfi...@gmail.invalid> wrote in message

How do you pronounce the designation of a wide flange beam, such as a
W6x12? I learned from texts and never heard it spoken.
-jsw

Larry Jaques

Feb 19, 2018, 7:10:00 PM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 06:41:52 -0800 (PST), marcid...@gmail.com
wrote:

Whoooeee! That's a right nice lookin' machinist. Hubba hubba.
Naomi, if you were Rosie's inspiration, ya done good, girl. RIP

> Anybody recognize it?

It looks more like a vertical shaper to me, set up for gear ID
slotting. (not that I'd know anything about either, yet. ;)

There were vertical turret lathes: https://is.gd/dIctwu
And there were vertical shapers: https://is.gd/mYNUkg
Which look pretty similar at a glance.

-- Sir Winston Churchill

rbowman

Feb 19, 2018, 7:16:28 PM2/19/18
On 02/19/2018 03:31 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
> You''ll miss 95% of this crap if you killfile him or ignore him.

And 100% if I kill file both of you...

Jim Wilkins

Feb 19, 2018, 7:24:19 PM2/19/18
"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
I bought a transmission-end motorcycle chain drive sprocket for my
sawmill and then discovered it has a 13-spline center hole, that I
couldn't index to groove the shaft. The final milling setup using a
52-tooth Sears AA lathe change gear was about that kludgy.
-jsw

Red Prepper

Feb 19, 2018, 7:26:22 PM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 18:04:51 -0600, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:
>   I already have him in the bozobin , if you'd quit responding to
him
> I'd never see another of his posts ... Really Ed , why do you
continue
> to respond ? You gain nothing and he's getting what he's after - a
> response . The fun for these pricks goes away when they don't get
any
> attention . Then they go somewhere else and leave us alone .

I'm not going g away.Im moving in and getting the band back together.
Ed his chance, we've been more than patient with the cunt in a dress.

Ed Huntress

Feb 19, 2018, 7:27:07 PM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 17:16:48 -0700, rbowman <bow...@montana.com>
wrote:

>On 02/19/2018 03:31 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
>> You''ll miss 95% of this crap if you killfile him or ignore him.
>
>And 100% if I kill file both of you...

An excellent idea, Robert.

--
Ed Huntress

Red Prepper

Feb 19, 2018, 7:29:35 PM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:46:37 -0500, Mr. B1ack <now...@nada.net>
wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 09:16:19 -0600, Red Prepper <r...@red.com> wrote:

> >On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 06:41:52 -0800 (PST), marcid...@gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >> Hi Folks,
> >

> >> What is this machine?
> >>

>https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/naomi-parker-fraley-wa
> >time=
> >>

>-machinist-linked-to-rosie-the-riveter-dies-at-96/2018/01/23/10335d0e-
0
> >04e-=
> >> 11e8-8acf-ad2991367d9d_story.html?utm_term=.bb8abd1abc2c
> >

> >> The Washington Post article from which is comes refers to it as
> >turret la=
> >> the (2/3 the way down the article, and just a "lathe" elsewhere)
in
> >this ob=
> >> ituary on "Rosie the Rivetter". But it looks more like a
milling
> >machine =
> >> with a rotary table than a turret lathe. Is it a gear broach?
> >

> >> Anybody recognize it?
> >

> >> Dan
> >
> >Speaking of Rosie, my pecker is getting quite rosie red from all
the
> >blowjobs Ed Huntress the Cunt in a Dress is giving out over in
> >alt.survival.

> That may be a venereal disease ... better
> have it checked before yer pecker turns
> from red to black and falls off ..........

If it turns black then it's from spending too much time in Mr.
B1ack's mouth. Thank the cunt in a dress for inviting me here. I
think I'm going to stay for a long while.

Mr. B1ack

Feb 19, 2018, 9:25:07 PM2/19/18
But nobody has to listen to you.

Bye.

Red Prepper

Feb 19, 2018, 10:00:01 PM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 20:05:40 -0500, Ed Huntress
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:
> For anyone interested in Pecker's extracurricular activities, he's
> making more friends for alt.survival, while demonstrating what the
> alt.survival NG is all about:
Why are you still here cunt in a dress? I'm not going to give you the
last word you crossposting, cross-dressing, pedophile cunt in a
dress. Go away troll. Nobody wants you here.

All you are doing g is showing your RCM buddies what a lying cunt
troll you are and how you've been duping them all these years. Get
serious mental help Cuntress,

Red Prepper

Feb 19, 2018, 10:11:59 PM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 18:53:35 -0700, Winston_Smith
<inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 20:05:40 -0500, Ed Huntress
> <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:

> >For anyone interested in Pecker's extracurricular activities, he's
> >making more friends for alt.survival, while demonstrating what the
> >alt.survival NG is all about:

> You and he have a feud. It is not what a.s "is all about". You would
> find more favor here if you stopped insulting everyone because you
are
> pissed at one person.

> And hardly "making more friends". Snag and Bowman are long time
> members. No one outside the groups sees this nonsense unless one of
> you two cross post it. When you try to stretch it and imply multiple
> groups are getting upset at a.s you only look foolish.

> Just by making this post where none went before, you are continuing
> make the group unusable. Perhaps that's your goal.

He's a cunt in a dress.The only reason he's here is because you
welcomed him. Maybe you thought there would be good discussion but
even you have asked him to leave.

He's been reduced to troll status quite quickly, another troll that
originated from RCM.

He actually thinks if he posts the one magic link he will suddenly be
liked here, even though we would all be fighting each other to be
first to take a shot at him in the dunk tank. To put it mildly.

He's a cross-dressing, crossposting troll who wants to get the final
jab in before going back to RCM and salvaging whatever friendships he
had there.

Not going to happen. He won't get the last word and I'll hound him
for 30 days after he last appears here in a.s. Each reappearance
will reset the clock.

That's for starters. Fuck his crusty cunt. He doesn't know who he's
dealing with. Fuck a.s. too. If it burns then it's your fault for
leading him on for as long as you did.

Red Prepper

Feb 19, 2018, 10:16:40 PM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 21:24:59 -0500, Mr. B1ack <now...@nada.net>
wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 18:29:30 -0600, Red Prepper <r...@red.com> wrote:

> >On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:46:37 -0500, Mr. B1ack <now...@nada.net>
> >wrote:

> >the
> >

> >> That may be a venereal disease ... better
> >> have it checked before yer pecker turns
> >> from red to black and falls off ..........
> >
> >If it turns black then it's from spending too much time in Mr.
> >B1ack's mouth. Thank the cunt in a dress for inviting me here. I
> >think I'm going to stay for a long while.

> But nobody has to listen to you.

> Bye.

That's correct. You can listen to the cunt in a dress. That's your
speed.

Red Prepper

Feb 19, 2018, 10:18:47 PM2/19/18
Another cunt bites the crust. :-)

Red Prepper

Feb 19, 2018, 10:24:08 PM2/19/18
<pe...@time.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:49:34 -0500, Ed Huntress
> <hunt...@optonline.net> spammed:

alt.survival,talk.politics.misc,alt.news-media,la.general,alt.politics.
clinton
> from an original thread in just rec.crafts.metalworking

> >Don't forget the sunscreen when you troll the schoolyards with your
> >pecker hanging out, Pecker.

> Spam your own group instead of spreading your insanity all over the
> web. You claim to be the grown-up; prove it. Thank you.

He can't. He's a cunt in a dress.

Ed Cuntdress

Feb 19, 2018, 10:39:02 PM2/19/18
Hey you stupid cunt dress. Why don't you just go stay at alt.survival with
your pecker boyfriend? His big red pecker seems to satisfy your needs, what
do you keep running back here for?

Why don't you stop acting like a petulant child with your drive by insults
and just ask that pecker fellow to ram it up your ass really good, till you
scream for your daddy to come save you?

He seems willing, and we won't miss you. Go now cunt in red dress, hurry.
Dont look back. We'll send for you if we need you.

Ignoramus19723

Feb 19, 2018, 11:15:21 PM2/19/18
My opinion is that it is a slotter and the machine is set up for
making a gear. as there ar no chips around, it does not depict a
production situation, maybe a photo op of a nice looking female next to
a slotter.

On 2018-02-19, Ed Huntress <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 06:41:52 -0800 (PST), marcid...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
>>Hi Folks,
>>
>> What is this machine?
>>https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/naomi-parker-fraley-wartime-machinist-linked-to-rosie-the-riveter-dies-at-96/2018/01/23/10335d0e-004e-11e8-8acf-ad2991367d9d_story.html?utm_term=.bb8abd1abc2c
>>
>>The Washington Post article from which is comes refers to it as a turret lathe (2/3 the way down the article, and just a "lathe" elsewhere) in this obituary on "Rosie the Rivetter". But it looks more like a milling machine with a rotary table than a turret lathe. Is it a gear broach?
>>
>> Anybody recognize it?
>>
>> Dan
>
> I don't think it's a lathe of any kind. It looks like a
> special-purpose bed-type milling machine, built to handle that big
> rotary table. The drive shaft suggests that it's a production machine,
> but it looks like she's locating the setup with the handwheels -- for
> an operation that could have no possible relation to the powered
> shaft. Here's a sharper version of that photo:
>
> https://tinyurl.com/y9wycx3u
>
> I question whether the photo is of a real operation, or whether it was
> cooked up for the photo. The reason I say that is that there's a gear
> fixtured on top, and a toolholder that looks like it could be for a
> shaping operation. But the toolholder doesn't look like it's holding a
> shaping tool. And there's no way, in wartime production or any kind of
> production, that you would cut a gear like that with a single-point
> cutting tool making straight cuts. Even if you did, one of the
> handwheels would have a big and obvious index-pin dial on it.
>
> The whole setup is screwy. The lathe chuck on top, on top of all of
> that fixturing, looks like a kludge. There is no way you'd use a chuck
> that way for gear work. And if the suggestion is that she's indicating
> or gaging <spelling intentional> a gear tooth, there is no apparent
> way to accomplish the measuring. And that is no freaking measuring
> machine.
>
> I'd give it four Pinocchios. d8-)

Ignoramus19723

Feb 19, 2018, 11:24:58 PM2/19/18
On 2018-02-20, Ignoramus19723 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.19723.invalid> wrote:
> My opinion is that it is a slotter and the machine is set up for
> making a gear. as there ar no chips around, it does not depict a
> production situation, maybe a photo op of a nice looking female next to
> a slotter.

and here it is, a Pratt and Whitney vertical slotter that looks very
similar to Rosie's machine.

https://www.surplusrecord.com/cgi-bin/adpop.pl?005901

Look at picture No. 3:

https://www.surplusrecord.com/listphotos/005901b.jpg

Leon Fisk

Feb 20, 2018, 8:21:01 AM2/20/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 22:24:51 -0600
Ignoramus19723 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.19723.invalid> wrote:

>On 2018-02-20, Ignoramus19723 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.19723.invalid> wrote:
>> My opinion is that it is a slotter and the machine is set up for
>> making a gear. as there ar no chips around, it does not depict a
>> production situation, maybe a photo op of a nice looking female next to
>> a slotter.
>
>and here it is, a Pratt and Whitney vertical slotter that looks very
>similar to Rosie's machine.
>
>https://www.surplusrecord.com/cgi-bin/adpop.pl?005901
>
>Look at picture No. 3:
>
>https://www.surplusrecord.com/listphotos/005901b.jpg

Yeah, that picture sure looks right. There are two different machines
in that set of pictures. About half the images are the model that look
like Rosie's and the others don't...

Leon Fisk

Feb 20, 2018, 8:28:21 AM2/20/18
I'm no help with that one. I only know it from texts too.

Metal working stuff is my hobby line. I was an electricians apprentice
for several years while studying radio electronics. Worked as a two-way
radio, printer and terminal tech for most of my career. We probably
know a lot of the same jargon in those areas :)

Larry Jaques

Feb 20, 2018, 8:50:35 AM2/20/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 22:24:51 -0600, Ignoramus19723
<ignoram...@NOSPAM.19723.invalid> wrote:

>On 2018-02-20, Ignoramus19723 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.19723.invalid> wrote:
>> My opinion is that it is a slotter and the machine is set up for
>> making a gear. as there ar no chips around, it does not depict a
>> production situation, maybe a photo op of a nice looking female next to
>> a slotter.
>
>and here it is, a Pratt and Whitney vertical slotter that looks very
>similar to Rosie's machine.
>
>https://www.surplusrecord.com/cgi-bin/adpop.pl?005901
>
>Look at picture No. 3:
>
>https://www.surplusrecord.com/listphotos/005901b.jpg

Images 3, 5, and 7 are for a different machine than the rest. These
show 3 controls on the front while all the rest have only one.
I think you nailed it, though.

Is "slotter" one brand's name for "shaper"?

BTW, when did you start top-posting? I noticed it yesterday.

Leon Fisk

Feb 20, 2018, 9:25:18 AM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 05:50:35 -0800
Larry Jaques <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

<snip>
>Is "slotter" one brand's name for "shaper"?

They're a bit more different than that:

https://me-mechanicalengineering.com/slotting-machine/

Ed Huntress

Feb 20, 2018, 9:59:05 AM2/20/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 22:24:51 -0600, Ignoramus19723
<ignoram...@NOSPAM.19723.invalid> wrote:

>On 2018-02-20, Ignoramus19723 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.19723.invalid> wrote:
>> My opinion is that it is a slotter and the machine is set up for
>> making a gear. as there ar no chips around, it does not depict a
>> production situation, maybe a photo op of a nice looking female next to
>> a slotter.
>
>and here it is, a Pratt and Whitney vertical slotter that looks very
>similar to Rosie's machine.
>
>https://www.surplusrecord.com/cgi-bin/adpop.pl?005901
>
>Look at picture No. 3:
>
>https://www.surplusrecord.com/listphotos/005901b.jpg

That's it, all right. Now, what was Rosie doing with the handwheels?

She's not indexing it; she isn't even looking at the indexing
handwheel. Is she eyeballing the rotary indexing and the X-Y
positioning? Unlikely, unless the bore of the gear has been marked out
on a surface plate and she's setting it up to cut to the mark.

But if she's doing that, how does she know that she's set up
perpendicular to the centerline?

Once again, it looks like a photo op.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins

Feb 20, 2018, 10:19:23 AM2/20/18
"Ignoramus19723" <ignoram...@NOSPAM.19723.invalid> wrote in
message news:C7mdnUtoCM6OPhbH...@giganews.com...
> On 2018-02-20, Ignoramus19723 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.19723.invalid>
> wrote:
>> My opinion is that it is a slotter and the machine is set up for
>> making a gear. as there ar no chips around, it does not depict a
>> production situation, maybe a photo op of a nice looking female
>> next to
>> a slotter.
>
> and here it is, a Pratt and Whitney vertical slotter that looks very
> similar to Rosie's machine.
>
> https://www.surplusrecord.com/cgi-bin/adpop.pl?005901
>
> Look at picture No. 3:
>
> https://www.surplusrecord.com/listphotos/005901b.jpg

Congratulations for finding it. The only real difference I see is that
on hers the indexer is bolted on instead of integral. The fittings I
took to be clapper box hinges are apparently setscrews that
rotationally position the tool holder.
-jsw

Jim Wilkins

Feb 20, 2018, 11:20:12 AM2/20/18
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
Of course it's a photo op(portunity), there aren't any chips and she
isn't wearing safety glasses. Her hands are on two handles to support
herself leaning forward. Why would you expect 'cinema verite' in a
busy factory?

The P&W slotter may have been the only machine available that allowed
the bulky tripod-mounted view camera to catch the operator's face
while they pretend to work. I've done enough industrial photography to
know how difficult that can be.

I suspect there were many bracketing shots to obtain a proper exposure
of her skin without excessive glare off the bare metal. There is
contrast and texture fairly deep into the shadows without much
overexposure of the highlights.

-jsw

Ed Huntress

Feb 20, 2018, 12:16:48 PM2/20/18
Well, not to argue, but to add some clarification: If she's setting up
a keyway-cutting job, you won't see any chips. And if she's adjusting
X-Y position to cut from or to a scribed line, her hands would be on
two handwheels. That still doesn't explain what's going on, even if
it's correct. There are other things that don't look right.

As for the photos, having taken photos of machine operations for 40
years, including for over 500 articles and dozens of magazine covers,
I'm just used to making sure it's real. Of course my readers, who were
real industry people, would know the difference and would raise hell
if I faked it. <g>

I assume the photo was shot as part of a general war-promotion story,
and photo composition probably was more important that photo veracity.

>The P&W slotter may have been the only machine available that allowed
>the bulky tripod-mounted view camera to catch the operator's face
>while they pretend to work. I've done enough industrial photography to
>know how difficult that can be.

Right.

>I suspect there were many bracketing shots to obtain a proper exposure
>of her skin without excessive glare off the bare metal. There is
>contrast and texture fairly deep into the shadows without much
>overexposure of the highlights.
>
>-jsw

Yes, it's nicely lighted.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins

Feb 20, 2018, 12:37:18 PM2/20/18
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
My reaction was that they borrowed the boss' pretty secretary for the
photo shoot. I don't expect models to know -anything- beyond how to
pose.

-jsw

Winston_Smith

Feb 20, 2018, 1:18:41 PM2/20/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 12:10:16 -0500, Ed Huntress
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:

>>>Here's a sharper version of that photo:
>>> https://tinyurl.com/y9wycx3u

It works for me at this moment. Maybe tiny had a glitch.

>First, that Tiny URL I posted above doesn't seem to work. That's the
>first time that's ever happened for me. Tiny URL seems to have a
>problem with the full URL. Here's the full one:
>https://www.gettyimages.com/pictures/naomi-parker-fraley-15509845?irgwc=1&esource=AFF_GI_IR_VigLink_27795&asid=VigLink&cid=GI#pretty-naomi-parker-is-as-easy-to-look-at-as-overtime-pay-on-the-picture-id515383728

Red Prepper

Feb 20, 2018, 1:34:21 PM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 10:23:51 -0700, Winston_Smith
<inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 10:39:30 -0500, Ed Huntress
> <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:

> >In other words, you have a lot of goddamed nerve, Winston.

> Attempt at constructive criticism taken badly by the troll.
> Some BS not worth dragging out into an epic thread.
> Go ahead. Zing back and have the last word you cherish.

He's a stupid cunt n a dress. I'm not doing anything over at
rec.cunts.metalworking that he hasn't done here. Now he's crying.

Go home to rec.cunts.metalworkibg where I'll be waiting for you bitch.

Red Prepper

Feb 20, 2018, 1:38:18 PM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 12:52:53 -0500, Ed Huntress
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:
> In other words, I got it right, and you have two choices: Reply with
> homoerotic slurs, like Pox and Prepper, or snip it out and pretend
> itn's not worth answering.

So let's see, the first 5ime ever you refer to me as Prepper is when
you want everyone else to believe you never use homo-erotic slurs.

You invented the homo-erotic slurs you cunt in a dress. Your whole
existence revolves around trolling usenet for gay sex. Go home to RCM
you stupid cunt. Nobody wants you in alt.survival you stupid cunt in
a dress

Red Prepper

Feb 20, 2018, 1:40:43 PM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 11:07:45 -0500, Ed Huntress
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 20:09:43 -0600, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com>
> wrote:

> >On 2/19/2018 7:05 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
> >> For anyone interested in Pecker's extracurricular activities,
he's
> >> making more friends for alt.survival, while demonstrating what
the
> >> alt.survival NG is all about:
> >>
> >> <<snipped the bullshit
> >     Just a guess , but I'll bet he's never read "How to Win
Friends and
> >Influence People" .

> He has it, but the pages are stuck together.

> --
> Ed Cuntrdess

Why are you still posting your homo-erotic fantasies to alt.survival
you cunt in a dress? There are no children here for you to molest.

Ed Huntress

Feb 20, 2018, 1:48:27 PM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 12:40:39 -0600, Red Prepper <r...@red.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 11:07:45 -0500, Ed Huntress
><hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 20:09:43 -0600, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com>
>> wrote:

>he's
>the

>> >     Just a guess , but I'll bet he's never read "How to Win
>Friends and
>> >Influence People" .
>

>> He has it, but the pages are stuck together.
>

>> --
>> Ed Huntress
>
>I'm going to stop posting posting my homo-erotic fantasies to RCM.
>There are no children here for me to molest.
>
>I guess I'll go back home to alt.survival.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Pecker! And don't forget
your sunscreen.

--
Ed Huntress

Red Prepper

Feb 20, 2018, 1:54:17 PM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 13:42:30 -0500, Ed Huntress
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 12:31:38 -0600, Red Prepper <r...@red.com> wrote:

> >On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 10:39:30 -0500, Ed Huntress
> ><hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:

> >> No we don't. What we have is a degenerate and juvenile prick
> >> displaying his narcissism. You called him a "megalomaniac" not
long
> >> ago. You nailed it.
> >

> >> I offered to stop cross-posting to his NG if he found it
annoying.
> >He
> >> wouldn't tell me which NG he was posting from; I asked others;
they
> >> couldn't tell, either. While he was posting to about a half-dozen
> >> groups, he told me I had to stop posting to ALL othr groups.
Then he
> >> moved into RCM, in contradiction to the lies he's told since.
> >

> >> That isn't a feud.

> >> Yeah, sleazy, shit-stirring cross-postings is what the
survivalist
> >> groups are known for.

> >are
> >

> >> I'm not trying to "find favor." I'm not interested in your
"favor."
> >> You will NEVER find me insulting anyone who didn't insult me
first.
> >> NEVER.

> >> I'm talking about the RCM regulars in general. He's slung his
> >> homoerotic slurs at Iggy, Terry, Jim, and I don't know who else.

> >> That's the Pecker doing that. If you see it on one of my posts,
it's
> >> because I replied.

> >> How would you know?

> >continuing to
> >

> >> Take a look at RCM and see how many posts there came from the
> >> survivalist groups. It's in the thousands. After Bowman said he
only
> >> cross-posts there when he forgets to delete a cross-posted
group, I
> >> counted over 1,400 of his posts on RCM.
> >

> >> I checked yours. It runs to so many pages I didn't even bother to
> >> count them. It's more than Bowman's.
> >

> >> Now, take a look at how many posts I've originated, either in
A.S.
> >or
> >> in RCM that wound up here. I'll save you some time: The one
you're
> >> replying to is the ONLY one, ever.
> >

> >> Meantime, there are dozens currently on RCM from the Pecker,
with
> >foul
> >> and insulting headlines. And there are some one-time nyms that
could
> >> only have come from a survivalist group.
> >

> >> In other words, you have a lot of goddamed nerve, Winston.
> >

> >> --
> >> Ed Cuntdress
> >

> >You're still here trolling in alt.survival? Go back home to
> >rec.cunts.metalcrafting where I'll be waiting for you cunt Ina
dress.
> >You're my bitch now. Come to papa.

> Dumb Pecker. He doesn't know when he's been shut out. Nobody is
paying
> attention to you anymore on RCM.

> I'm not either, on RCM. You're just making a toxic fool of yourself.

> But I''ll be waiting for you here, Pecker. Come on, coward.

> --
> Ed Cuntrdess

I'm cumming cunt in a dress. Open wide!

Leon Fisk

Feb 20, 2018, 1:57:08 PM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 12:37:38 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 11:20:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
>> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
> [...]
> [...]
> [...]
> [...]
> [...]
> [...]
> [...]
>>
>> Well, not to argue, but to add some clarification: If she's setting
>> up
>> a keyway-cutting job, you won't see any chips. And if she's
>> adjusting
>> X-Y position to cut from or to a scribed line, her hands would be on
>> two handwheels. That still doesn't explain what's going on, even if
>> it's correct. There are other things that don't look right.
>>
>> As for the photos, having taken photos of machine operations for 40
>> years, including for over 500 articles and dozens of magazine
>> covers,
>> I'm just used to making sure it's real. Of course my readers, who
>> were
>> real industry people, would know the difference and would raise hell
>> if I faked it. <g>
>>
>> I assume the photo was shot as part of a general war-promotion
>> story,
>> and photo composition probably was more important that photo
>> veracity.
>
>My reaction was that they borrowed the boss' pretty secretary for the
>photo shoot. I don't expect models to know -anything- beyond how to
>pose.

What struck me as out-of-place were her shoes. Seem fancy for that
kind of work. No sparks in the grinder image. Look at the coworkers
shoes in same. The toe on their left shoe looks well scuffed up...

Red Prepper

Feb 20, 2018, 1:58:42 PM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 13:50:16 -0500, Ed Huntress
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 12:38:11 -0600, Red Prepper <r...@red.com> wrote:

> >On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 12:52:53 -0500, Ed Huntress
> ><hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:
> >> In other words, I got it right, and you have two choices: Reply
with
> >> homoerotic slurs, like Pox and Prepper, or snip it out and
pretend
> >> itn's not worth answering.
> >
> >So let's see, the first 5ime ever you refer to me as Prepper is
when
> >you want everyone else to believe you never use homo-erotic slurs.

> No, it's when I'm tired of your other nym.
> --
> Ed Cuntdress

Sure it is Cunt in a dress. We believe you. So you admit you came to
our newsgroup to insult us with names like Pox and Pecker.

Aren't you tired of using Pox?

I'll never get tired of calling you a cunt in a dress, you stupid
cunt in a dress.

Red Prepper

Feb 20, 2018, 2:00:09 PM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 13:48:06 -0500, Ed Huntress
> Ed Cuntrdess

Another forgery troll from the cunt in a dress. Is that all you got
Cuntinadress?

Red Prepper

Feb 20, 2018, 2:09:04 PM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 13:54:39 -0500, Ed Huntress
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:

>Why did my Model lop off my pecker and install a fake cunt?
> Nobody knows.
> --
> Ed Cuntrdress

I don't believe you. Your daddy knows, he's passing the tradition
down to you. The Cuntdress family tradition.

Red Prepper

Feb 20, 2018, 3:09:16 PM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 14:35:56 -0500, Ed Huntress
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 13:04:43 -0600, Red Prepper <r...@red.com> wrote:

> >> Oh yes you are. You're starting one thread after another, with
> >> slandering, childish headlines and larded with your gay sex and
> >> cross-dressing obsessions. Then you're trying to pick fights
with
> >the
> >> RCM regulars.
> >

> >> All anyone has to do is to take a look over there and see what a
> >liar
> >> you are.
> >

> >> --
> >> Ed Cuntrdess
> >
> >I'm just starting Huntress.

> Well that's good, Pecker. It will keep you off the streets and away
> from schoolyards. No one on RCM is reading your posts anymore, and I
> won't be reading them pretty soon, so you can just give your
pinkies a
> big workout and you won't be doing any harm.

> >You had your opportunity to walk
> >away, but you wanted to keep the ball rolling.

> Liar. I offered to stop posting here, and you wouldn't have any of
it
> unless I stopped posting *everywhere*.

> Remember? If not, maybe I'll post a reminder.

> >Ok then. In the words
> >of Al Bundy, let's rock.

> Go rock, you impotent, juvenile prick. It will give you some
> background music while you jerk off.

> --
> Ed Cuntdress

Open wide you cunt in a dress. Open wide!

Red Prepper

Feb 20, 2018, 3:12:13 PM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 14:38:15 -0500, Ed Huntress
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:
> Just stay away from rec.crafts.metalworking.

> --
> Ed Huntress

Go fuck yourself you can in a dress

Ed Huntress

Feb 20, 2018, 3:30:15 PM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 11:18:31 -0700, Winston_Smith
<inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:

>It works for me at this moment. Maybe tiny had a glitch.

Yup. It's working for me now.

Jim Wilkins

Feb 20, 2018, 5:08:19 PM2/20/18
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 11:20:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ..
> As for the photos, having taken photos of machine operations for 40
> years, including for over 500 articles and dozens of magazine
> covers,
> I'm just used to making sure it's real. Of course my readers, who
> were
> real industry people, would know the difference and would raise hell
> if I faked it. <g>

I had to either illustrate the manual, no pretty faces needed or
wanted, or impress the money people who wouldn't notice if the "chips"
were sawdust.

Red Prepper

Feb 20, 2018, 9:53:45 PM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 15:46:13 -0500, Ed Huntress
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 14:12:08 -0600, Red Prepper <r...@red.com> wrote:

> <vandalized post fixed>
> What I actually said was::

> "Just stay away from schoolyards."

> He's not called Red Pecker for nothing, and his sexual obsessions
are
> pretty weird.

> --
> Ed Huntress

Aw, your daddy is mostly harmless. He just likes a big red throbbing
pecker shoved down his throat every now and again. I don't mind d
visiting him at the schoolyard.

What was your daddy's name again ? He told me once but I should
Google it and share it with the group, eh cunt in a dress? From NJ,
right?

Ow, my foot sure hurts cunt in a dress. I should have aimed between
the eyes instead of my foot, huh cunt in a dress? I won't make that
mistake again.

Ignoramus19723

Feb 20, 2018, 10:05:24 PM2/20/18
Yes. Even the above jpeg is not the exact machine that rosie worked
with as I found some slight differences/.

Ignoramus19723

Feb 20, 2018, 10:41:43 PM2/20/18
On 2018-02-20, Leon Fisk <lfi...@gmail.invalid> wrote:
It is hard to tell, but it seems she has long fingernails.

Ignoramus17532

Feb 21, 2018, 12:01:47 AM2/21/18
On 2018-02-20, Larry Jaques <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 22:24:51 -0600, Ignoramus19723
><ignoram...@NOSPAM.19723.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 2018-02-20, Ignoramus19723 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.19723.invalid> wrote:
>>> My opinion is that it is a slotter and the machine is set up for
>>> making a gear. as there ar no chips around, it does not depict a
>>> production situation, maybe a photo op of a nice looking female next to
>>> a slotter.
>>
>>and here it is, a Pratt and Whitney vertical slotter that looks very
>>similar to Rosie's machine.
>>
>>https://www.surplusrecord.com/cgi-bin/adpop.pl?005901
>>
>>Look at picture No. 3:
>>
>>https://www.surplusrecord.com/listphotos/005901b.jpg
>
> Images 3, 5, and 7 are for a different machine than the rest. These
> show 3 controls on the front while all the rest have only one.
> I think you nailed it, though.

It was a mix of unrelated pictures, it seems, only this picture is the
correct one:

https://www.surplusrecord.com/listphotos/005901b.jpg

> Is "slotter" one brand's name for "shaper"?

not sure

> BTW, when did you start top-posting? I noticed it yesterday.

I often do it

John B.

Feb 21, 2018, 12:56:06 AM2/21/18
Rosie the Riveter was part of a government program to encourage women
to work in industry to replace the men who were in the army. The most
commonly known version of Rosie is probably the 29 May 1943 Saturday
Evening Post front page, painted by Norman Rockwell showing a woman
with a rivet gun sitting in front of the U.S. Flag background.

http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2013/07/01/art-entertainment/norman-rockwell-art-entertainment/rosie-the-riveter.html
--
Cheers,

John B.

Leon Fisk

Feb 21, 2018, 9:32:52 AM2/21/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 21:41:35 -0600
Ignoramus19723 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.19723.invalid> wrote:

<snip>
>It is hard to tell, but it seems she has long fingernails.

That wouldn't necessarily be a problem. I've had long fingernails my
whole life. I use them as tools. They make great scrapers for removing
gunk and are essential for the fine manipulation of small parts. I
don't break them all that often. Usually when they break it has nothing
to do with abusing them while working. However roofing, especially
laying shingles will abrade them down to nothing. They were sorely
missed after my re-roofing job...

et...@whidbey.com

Feb 21, 2018, 11:58:11 AM2/21/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:58:44 -0500, Ed Huntress
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 22:24:51 -0600, Ignoramus19723
><ignoram...@NOSPAM.19723.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 2018-02-20, Ignoramus19723 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.19723.invalid> wrote:
>>> My opinion is that it is a slotter and the machine is set up for
>>> making a gear. as there ar no chips around, it does not depict a
>>> production situation, maybe a photo op of a nice looking female next to
>>> a slotter.
>>
>>and here it is, a Pratt and Whitney vertical slotter that looks very
>>similar to Rosie's machine.
>>
>>https://www.surplusrecord.com/cgi-bin/adpop.pl?005901
>>
>>Look at picture No. 3:
>>
>>https://www.surplusrecord.com/listphotos/005901b.jpg
>
>That's it, all right. Now, what was Rosie doing with the handwheels?
>
>She's not indexing it; she isn't even looking at the indexing
>handwheel. Is she eyeballing the rotary indexing and the X-Y
>positioning? Unlikely, unless the bore of the gear has been marked out
>on a surface plate and she's setting it up to cut to the mark.
>
>But if she's doing that, how does she know that she's set up
>perpendicular to the centerline?
>
>Once again, it looks like a photo op.
Of course it's a photo op. Look at her shoes. Not really appropriate
for a machine shop.
Eric

Gunner Asch

Feb 25, 2018, 8:33:48 PM2/25/18
wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
> What is this machine?
>https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/naomi-parker-fraley-wartime-machinist-linked-to-rosie-the-riveter-dies-at-96/2018/01/23/10335d0e-004e-11e8-8acf-ad2991367d9d_story.html?utm_term=.bb8abd1abc2c
>
>The Washington Post article from which is comes refers to it as a turret lathe (2/3 the way down the article, and just a "lathe" elsewhere) in this obituary on "Rosie the Rivetter". But it looks more like a milling machine with a rotary table than a turret lathe. Is it a gear broach?
>
> Anybody recognize it?
>
> Dan

Its neither..its a slotter

Like this one:

http://www.eifcomachinetools.com/slotting_machine.htm

---

pecorporation

Sep 28, 2020, 9:18:06 AM9/28/20
replying to Leon Fisk, pecorporation wrote:
Try this site *https://www.prestigeequipment.com/* just click Browse Used
Machinery and Equipment

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalworking/rosie-the-riveter-s-lathe-644524-.htm