OT Hot Melt Asphalt....

stryped

Jun 22, 2016, 10:02:22 AM6/22/16
I have a local plant that will send me a ton of hot mix for 55.00. My idea is to load it in my trailer and bring it home to repair some potholes, cracks and other areas in my driveway.

My idea is to cut these bad areas out, install new asphalt and hand tamp. I will have to trailer it on my dual axle trailer about 17 miles. My trailer has sides, but no top. Any idea on how I could keep the mixture from cooling too much?

gerald...@yahoo.ca

Jun 22, 2016, 8:07:11 PM6/22/16
On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 07:02:19 -0700 (PDT), stryped <stry...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I have a local plant that will send me a ton of hot mix for 55.00. My idea is to load it in my trailer and bring it home to repair some potholes, cracks and other areas in my driveway.
>
>My idea is to cut these bad areas out, install new asphalt and hand tamp. I will have to trailer it on my dual axle trailer about 17 miles. My trailer has sides, but no top. Any idea on how I could keep the mixture from cooling too much?
A tarp.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Larry Jaques

Jun 22, 2016, 11:13:44 PM6/22/16
Lay sheetrock on top and tarp it.

--
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives
the test first, the lesson afterwards.

Boris Mohar

Jun 23, 2016, 6:58:39 AM6/23/16
On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 07:02:19 -0700 (PDT), stryped <stry...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a local plant that will send me a ton of hot mix for 55.00. My idea is to load it in my trailer and bring it home to repair some potholes, cracks and other areas in my driveway.
>
>My idea is to cut these bad areas out, install new asphalt and hand tamp. I will have to trailer it on my dual axle trailer about 17 miles. My trailer has sides, but no top. Any idea on how I could keep the mixture from cooling too much?

Drive really, really fast. The air friction should keep it warm ;)
--
Boris

---

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Jun 23, 2016, 7:57:48 AM6/23/16
Boris Mohar <borism...@sympatico.ca> fired this volley in

> Drive really, really fast. The air friction should keep it warm ;)

Obviously, brain activity isn't going to contribute any heat!

He asks HERE. I'll bet it never occurred to him to ask the vendor...

bruce2...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2016, 9:35:05 AM6/23/16
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

> He asks HERE. I'll bet it never occurred to him to ask
> the vendor...

Right, go to the internet know-it-alls and avoid the people over the counter or on the phone. That's standard operating procedure here.

Steve W.

Jun 23, 2016, 11:02:44 AM6/23/16
Get two tarps. One goes on the trailer deck to keep the tar from
sticking to it, the other goes over the top. unless you drive that 17
miles at 10 mph you won't have a problem.

For installation of the new material you will want a hand held heater
(weed burner torch works well) Cut out the old area, use the torch to
heat up the edges of the cuts and the base area. Then apply a 1" layer
of new, Tamp it down VERY well. Then heat it and repeat till you are
slightly higher than the surrounding pavement, now use a roller or a
heavy vehicle to really pack it down.

Repeat the process for the rest of the areas. DON'T overheat the
asphalt. You want it warm and shiny but not running or bubbling.

--
Steve W.

Larry Jaques

Jun 23, 2016, 10:38:58 PM6/23/16
I had the misfortune of seeing it was the striped assed ape to whom I
replied just _as_ I sent it. <sigh> I should pay more attention.

I liked Boris' reply, though. ;)

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...
We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is

stryped

Jun 24, 2016, 8:08:44 PM6/24/16

gerald...@yahoo.ca

Jun 24, 2016, 11:35:29 PM6/24/16
On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 06:57:41 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
<lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

Do like the church men's group determined to pave the parking lot,
decided they needed three truck loads of hot mix, insisted that it be
dumped in one pile in the middle of the area then attaked it with
their shovels,rakes and wheelbarrows. The next day, the supplier took
pity on them, cleaned up the mess and brought in a crew and did the
job right even to painting line markings.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Larry Jaques

Jun 25, 2016, 12:48:19 AM6/25/16
Gee, I guess prayer really DOES work!

Or was it all the cussing?

bruce2...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2016, 7:25:01 AM6/25/16
On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 23:37:31 -0400, gerald...@yahoo.ca wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 06:57:41 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
><lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>Boris Mohar <borism...@sympatico.ca> fired this volley in
>>
>>> Drive really, really fast. The air friction should keep it warm ;)
>>
>>Obviously, brain activity isn't going to contribute any heat!
>>
>>He asks HERE. I'll bet it never occurred to him to ask the vendor...

>Do like the church men's group determined to pave the parking lot,
>decided they needed three truck loads of hot mix, insisted that it be
>dumped in one pile in the middle of the area then attaked it with
>their shovels,rakes and wheelbarrows. The next day, the
> supplier took pity on them ...

Nobody ever said genius came with the faith.