Night Vision Scope Camera

RogerN

May 24, 2016, 11:02:06 AM5/24/16
So far the most economical option I have found for cheap night vision would
be to use an automotive backup camera with monitor, Amazon has them for $30
range with free shipping. The camera's should already have the IR filter
removed because they come with IR LED light source.

On topic, machining required for camera mount to scope and monitor mount.
The system is set up for 12V power and has cords for camera and monitor.
These should be able to be powered by 3 lithium cells in series or other 12V
power source. Add a good IR flashlight and optional IR laser sight for
invisible night time shooting/pest control.

RogerN

Gunner Asch

May 24, 2016, 2:05:39 PM5/24/16
On Tue, 24 May 2016 10:01:41 -0500, "RogerN" <re...@midwest.net>
wrote:
One thing you may be forgetting...is focus distance. If you are
trying to use any of these cameras to look into the scope...keep in
mind the focus range is only a couple inches. Many of the common NV
cameras will NOT focus less than several feet, with the lenses that
they come with. So you may have to machine an extension for the lens
to bring focus up close enough to be usable on the scope. Hanging a
camera on the side of the scope simply as a view finder...will not do
you a bit of good. You MUST use it to look into the scope itself.

Gunner

RogerN

May 24, 2016, 11:01:57 PM5/24/16
>"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
>
>On Tue, 24 May 2016 10:01:41 -0500, "RogerN" <re...@midwest.net>
>wrote:
>
><snip>
>>On topic, machining required for camera mount to scope and monitor mount.
>>The system is set up for 12V power and has cords for camera and monitor.
>>These should be able to be powered by 3 lithium cells in series or other
>>12V
>>power source. Add a good IR flashlight and optional IR laser sight for
>>invisible night time shooting/pest control.
>>
>>RogerN
>>

>One thing you may be forgetting...is focus distance. If you are
>trying to use any of these cameras to look into the scope...keep in
>mind the focus range is only a couple inches. Many of the common NV
>cameras will NOT focus less than several feet, with the lenses that
>they come with. So you may have to machine an extension for the lens
>to bring focus up close enough to be usable on the scope. Hanging a
>camera on the side of the scope simply as a view finder...will not do
>you a bit of good. You MUST use it to look into the scope itself.
>
>Gunner

Good point, one of the youtube videos I watched on this, they had to
replace the stock lens with a 12mm lens (IIRC). This allowed it to get a
good image at the distance of the eye relief distance of the scope. For my
own experiment, I used an old camcorder (Sony Digital 8) and was able to
zoom to a good image. Some ov the videos were using video cameras with
Nightshot and using the flip out display for a screen.

Good for sport for now, ratting, varmints, small game, etc. But after the
Democrats fill the country with racism, hatred, sexual perversions,
terrorists, and whatever else they can use to destroy the country, their
progress is gangs rule. Soon we'll need night vision just to help survive
the Democrat resurrection of terrorism. I'd predict Obama goes to bed every
night laughing at the fools that believe his lies and support him while he
destroys them.

RogerN

Gunner Asch

May 24, 2016, 11:55:33 PM5/24/16
On Tue, 24 May 2016 22:01:59 -0500, "RogerN" <re...@midwest.net>
wrote:
Roger, I wouldnt worry too hard about Democrat resurrection of
terrorism or the Islamic Jihad. After November..Democrats AND Muslim
fundies will be considered "enemies, foreign and domestic".. along
with the simpletons that have allowed them to become traitors and
incountry enemies of the People. Fuck the "state"...the People will
handle anything that needs handling.

Something like 87% of Congress is up for reelection in November..and
its going to be a bloodbath not seen in generations as the
Establishment gets unelected.

November 2015 was a bloodbath....

"Under President Obama, Democrats have lost 900+ state legislature
seats, 12 governors, 69 House seats, 13 Senate seats. That's some
legacy."

November 2016 is gonna Trump it (snerk!)

We are already seeing a goodly number of both Demonrats and Repuglican
RINOs deciding to not run for reelection. And the stream will
broading into a river.

Hang in there, keep your ammo stocks topped off, pick your favorite
target just in case, and vote when the time comes.

LaGrange

May 25, 2016, 9:49:42 AM5/25/16
On Tue, 24 May 2016 20:51:28 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 24 May 2016 22:01:59 -0500, "RogerN" <re...@midwest.net>
>wrote:
>> after the
>>Democrats fill the country with racism, hatred, sexual perversions,
>>terrorists, and whatever else they can use to destroy the country, their
>>progress is gangs rule. Soon we'll need night vision just to help survive
>>the Democrat resurrection of terrorism.
>>RogerN

>After November..Democrats AND Muslim
>fundies will be considered "enemies, foreign and domestic".. along
>with the simpletons that have allowed them to become traitors and
>incountry enemies of the People. Fuck the "state"...the People will
>handle anything that needs handling.

You two idiots are experts at making bad decisions and hilariously
faulty predictions, so it's little wonder you're broke and unhappy. If
you'd focus on earning a decent living like normal people do, then
things would improve and maybe you'd begin to see your paranoia for
what it is. BTW, your lives suck now, but they'd be even worse if your
fantasies came true.

Gunner Asch

May 25, 2016, 1:22:13 PM5/25/16
Hide and watch..... Its going to be an interesting 8 yrs

LaGrange

May 25, 2016, 4:05:16 PM5/25/16
On Wed, 25 May 2016 10:18:13 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
Another 8 years at least huh? That's in addition to the previous 7
since you've been making these stupid predictions.

"In less than 3 yrs..the People will kill most/all Leftwingers in an
event known as the Great Cull." (2009)
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.states.iowa/msg/1d494df85841943b

But then, refusing to learn from your mistakes is your trademark,
right?

Greg Stearns

May 25, 2016, 4:56:20 PM5/25/16
<yawn> No "cull"; no "list"; no "those who keep the list." It's all
bullshit, every word of it.

<VBG> Cites? indeed fascinating "I've not" buffoon "hold that thought"
backhoe "the list" cull 264mph "3/5/8 years street cop" swingers leftists

Gunner Asch

May 25, 2016, 5:42:43 PM5/25/16
Ayup..and I revised that in 2010-11ish IRRC. Seemed to have missed
that didnt you?

>But then, refusing to learn from your mistakes is your trademark,
>right?

Of course...Ive been a registered Democrat for the past 9 or so years.
But I did learn...last month I changed to Independant.

Too bad you will be stupid forever.

Shrug

LaGrange

May 25, 2016, 8:32:36 PM5/25/16
On Wed, 25 May 2016 14:38:45 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
You've been revising it ever since you first made the prediction. And
you'll continue revising until you croak. You'll never admit that it's
nothing but fantasy.

>>But then, refusing to learn from your mistakes is your trademark,
>>right?
>
>Of course...Ive been a registered Democrat for the past 9 or so years.
>But I did learn...last month I changed to Independant.
>
>Too bad you will be stupid forever.

I said you were full of shit when you first made the prediction. I've
been right about your delusion ever since, and I'll continue to be
right. You'll continue to be broke and stupid and expressing your
unhappiness through crackpot declarations.

Did you scrounge up the $300 to get Hotel Econoline out of the repair
shop yet?

Gunner Asch

May 25, 2016, 9:49:16 PM5/25/16
On Wed, 25 May 2016 17:32:29 -0700, LaGrange <l...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Ayup..and I revised that in 2010-11ish IRRC. Seemed to have missed
>>that didnt you?
>
>You've been revising it ever since you first made the prediction. And
>you'll continue revising until you croak. You'll never admit that it's
>nothing but fantasy.
>
>>>But then, refusing to learn from your mistakes is your trademark,
>>>right?
>>
>>Of course...Ive been a registered Democrat for the past 9 or so years.
>>But I did learn...last month I changed to Independant.
>>
>>Too bad you will be stupid forever.
>
>I said you were full of shit when you first made the prediction. I've
>been right about your delusion ever since, and I'll continue to be
>right. You'll continue to be broke and stupid and expressing your
>unhappiness through crackpot declarations.

Fortunately..Im not you and can find my ass with either hand...and
without a handler giving me directions. Something you are obviously
incapable of doing on your own.

>Did you scrounge up the $300 to get Hotel Econoline out of the repair
>shop yet?

Crom yes..did that a couple weeks ago. We found that the grind shop
had not ground one of the journals properly...we think..so I went down
and bought some Plastigage this morning and took it to my mechanic
along with a calibrated bore gage. No word on the results yet. When
he installed the crank and main bearings .....he found it to be a bit
more "sticky" than he thought proper. Might have to go back to the
grind shop for a rework..the bastards. It took em nearly 6 days too
long to grind the crank and they gave it back ground -.-20 instead of
the -.010 it should have been..I mic'd it...as did the mechanic and
the grind shop when I sent it in. So while it MIGHT be an out of spec
bearing...I bought King SI bearings ...so they should be good to go.

So they fucked something up. However with a bit of luck, it should
be back on the road this weekend or early next week.

No work this week (so far) but have a few dollars in the bank so will
be able to get a smog done on the E350 as soon as its completed...the
shop thats doing my work is a smog test station as well, so thats
covered, and Ive already put it on my AAA insurance, to be started the
minute I call my agent. Then we do the heads on the Ranger.

Now dinner is done, and its back out to the shop. Im doing my spring
cleaning. And surprisingly..I found (2) wild kittens in my motorhome.
No idea at all how the momma gets in and out of there, but they are
fat and sassy. Took my wife and I about 30 minutes to tame them down
and get them sleeping in our laps. Ive ordered a tranny for the
motorhome and that should be here in a week or two and that beast will
be back on the road after a 12+ year vacation. Finally. At long last.
Crom!

Anybody want a very old, but still running well, 300+amp DC only
Hobart Brothers welder on its own trailer? Just want a couple
hundred bucks and someone to come get it out of the back yard. It ran
well the last time I fired it up, but its taking up way too much space
back there.
It needs a battery and a fuel filter bowl, other than that...it would
make a good field machine for occasional use. Ive got a decent Ranger
9, so really dont need this old girl taking up space.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602/1943HobartGasolineWelder

Ive also got a Miller Trailblazer 55G that needs the engine rebuilt.
Its all there, just needs a set of rings and a good hone job and
gasket set. IRRC...Ive got a brand new set of valves for it, and I
may..may have a new set of rings tucked away. Continental F-163
engine, same one in most Lincoln SA-200s and a bunch of forklifts..so
finding parts cheap is not a problem.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602/Miller55G

We can negotiate on that machine. Like the Hobart..it was a project
Ive lost interest in and I can use the space. When Larry comes back
south later this year, he gets the Hales milling machine and then I
should have most of my back yard back again! Yay!!

I put my hammock up this afternoon, over my new lawn, so now Ive got
a shadey place to enjoy the breeze and read a book (and take a nap)
(Grin).

I picked up a nice automatic Boyar-Shultz surface grinder (automatic
feeds) with a nice 6x12, fine gradation mag chuck, and Im going to be
bringing it home as soon as the van is on the road, so my BIG 6x18
surface grinder is going to be up for sale. Folks here will get a heck
of a deal on it, if anyone wants it. . Else it goes on Craigslist for
reasonable money. Same with the KO Lee B300 tool and cutter grinder.
Ive had that lil girl for about 7 yrs now..and have used it so little
that I cant see any reason to hang on to it and have it take up space.
The Boyar Shultz , even with its hydraulic pump and tank will take
less space than the 618 grinder, so with the KO Lee and the big
surface grinder gone, Ill have room for a bunch more of those old
computer punch card cabinets, which I picked up over the past couple
years and have tucked away in storage down in So Cal. Then Ill have
good storage for my endmills and cutters and whatnot.

Spring is here and its time to revamp the shop and yard again.

Back later!

Oh..for "LaGrange"....<plink>.

Better hustle up #20 nym or Ill not be reading your dreck. Its not
like you have anything else to do...right? Snerk!!

Gunner

goodsoldi...@geemail.org

May 25, 2016, 11:21:30 PM5/25/16
Apparently the Constitution is a flexible document. One must obey the
second amendment while ignoring the first.
--
Cheers,

Schweik

goodsoldi...@geemail.org

May 25, 2016, 11:21:30 PM5/25/16
Of course he did. After all to a man making (what was it?) $75.00 an
hour, $300 is peanuts. After all it is only a morning's work, and pick
the truck up after lunch.
--
Cheers,

Schweik

goodsoldi...@geemail.org

May 25, 2016, 11:21:30 PM5/25/16
On Wed, 25 May 2016 14:38:45 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
In other words, you didn't know what you were talking about then and
now you do? Or will you be revising your words again, and again, and
again.

>>But then, refusing to learn from your mistakes is your trademark,
>>right?
>
>Of course...Ive been a registered Democrat for the past 9 or so years.
>But I did learn...last month I changed to Independant.

Too bad that the intent of the Founding Fathers is not still the law
of the land as they believed that it was self-evident that only those
with a stake in society should have a voice in determining who would
govern that society. They believed that, since government was
established to protect property and personal freedom, those involved
in choosing that government should have some of each.

--
Cheers,

Schweik

goodsoldi...@geemail.org

May 25, 2016, 11:21:30 PM5/25/16
It might be just empty words to you, but to gunner it is his whole
life. Why, without the Great Cull story gunner would be just another
out of work beggar.

><VBG> Cites? indeed fascinating "I've not" buffoon "hold that thought"
>backhoe "the list" cull 264mph "3/5/8 years street cop" swingers leftists
--
Cheers,

Schweik

Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers

May 26, 2016, 6:01:07 AM5/26/16
On Thu, 26 May 2016 10:21:27 +0700, goodsoldi...@geemail.org
His cull fantasy boils down to him hoping that the rest of society
will magically be brought down to his level. But it's not his whole
life any more. Now he also has a dream of finding a skank online to
hook up with. :)

Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers

May 26, 2016, 6:04:43 AM5/26/16
On Wed, 25 May 2016 18:45:17 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 25 May 2016 17:32:29 -0700, LaGrange <l...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>I said you were full of shit when you first made the prediction. I've
>>been right about your delusion ever since, and I'll continue to be
>>right. You'll continue to be broke and stupid and expressing your
>>unhappiness through crackpot declarations.
>
>Fortunately..Im not you and can find my ass with either hand.

I bought my first house over 40 years ago, and am now living in my
seventh. When will you be buying *your* first house? Oh right, never.
Apparently you've been concentrating on finding your ass when you
should have been figuring out how to earn a decent living.

>>Did you scrounge up the $300 to get Hotel Econoline out of the repair
>>shop yet?
>
>Crom yes..did that a couple weeks ago. We found that the grind shop
>had not ground one of the journals properly...

<sigh> It's always someone else's fault, right? Bottom line, your old
beater remains out of service due to your lack of funds. See any
contradiction with your claims of making $75 an hour?

Gunner Asch

May 26, 2016, 6:27:53 AM5/26/16
On Thu, 26 May 2016 03:04:40 -0700, Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers
<BD...@msn.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 25 May 2016 18:45:17 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 25 May 2016 17:32:29 -0700, LaGrange <l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>I said you were full of shit when you first made the prediction. I've
>>>been right about your delusion ever since, and I'll continue to be
>>>right. You'll continue to be broke and stupid and expressing your
>>>unhappiness through crackpot declarations.
>>
>>Fortunately..Im not you and can find my ass with either hand.
>
>I bought my first house over 40 years ago, and am now living in my
>seventh. When will you be buying *your* first house? Oh right, never.
>Apparently you've been concentrating on finding your ass when you
>should have been figuring out how to earn a decent living.

So you couldnt keep a house? Must be a bitch to be kicked out of so
many of them over all those years. Ive had the same one for almost
30. Kinda like the place actually.

>>>Did you scrounge up the $300 to get Hotel Econoline out of the repair
>>>shop yet?
>>
>>Crom yes..did that a couple weeks ago. We found that the grind shop
>>had not ground one of the journals properly...
>
><sigh> It's always someone else's fault, right? Bottom line, your old
>beater remains out of service due to your lack of funds. See any
>contradiction with your claims of making $75 an hour?

Shrug..cost me almost $300 for the grind and all the bearings and
seals. So you are telling me that its MY fault that they fucked up
the grind? Really?

My "old beater"? Which one is that? You mean the ol ladies Saturn?
Or the old Mazda B3000 thats parked in the back yard with 440,000
miles on it? Or are you calling one of the other vehicles "my old
beater"? Cant be the E350...it only has 14,000 miles on it. Maybe
its the Ranger with 285,000 miles on it? Which one are you talking
about? You do know those were all new once...right?

And..no contradiction in making $75 an hour. How could there be? I
just dont make 40 hrs a week. Not as an independant service tech. In
fact..Ive not worked at all this week so far. No one has called for
service. Oh..you are talking about someone who has a 9-5 job? Really?
I havent had that kind of work for almost 20 years, when I managed 3
different companies in the prior 25 yrs. So..you one of those 9-5
guys who gets whistle bit if you have to work 5 minutes longer than
you are supposed to? That does the same boring shit day after day
after day? Or is that just wishful thinking on your part? So..when
DID you last have a job? Was it before you became an alky..or after?

Btw...<plink> Try another nym. With so much time on your hands
sitting around, beating your meat and finding new nyms to flood this
group with....you have lots of time. As for me..Im doing spring
cleaning. See ya!! Oh..stay off the booze..you know the doctor said
it was killing you.

Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers

May 26, 2016, 9:12:25 AM5/26/16
On Thu, 26 May 2016 03:23:56 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 26 May 2016 03:04:40 -0700, Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers
><BD...@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 25 May 2016 18:45:17 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Fortunately..Im not you and can find my ass with either hand.
>>
>>I bought my first house over 40 years ago, and am now living in my
>>seventh. When will you be buying *your* first house? Oh right, never.
>>Apparently you've been concentrating on finding your ass when you
>>should have been figuring out how to earn a decent living.
>
>So you couldnt keep a house?

Oh my, what a powerful retort! Fact: all normally accomplished people
have managed to do what the 60something Amazing Wieber has not, and
never will.

>Must be a bitch to be kicked out of so
>many of them over all those years. Ive had the same one for almost
>30.

You don't own a house. You have a crummy mobile home on a rented lot,
and you owe more in liens than it's worth.

>> Kinda like the place actually.

LOL I guess you might as well pretend to like it considering that
you're stuck there. If the lot owner gets kicks you off you wouldn't
be able to raise first and last months rent on a basement apartment.

>>>Crom yes..did that a couple weeks ago. We found that the grind shop
>>>had not ground one of the journals properly...
>>
>><sigh> It's always someone else's fault, right? Bottom line, your old
>>beater remains out of service due to your lack of funds. See any
>>contradiction with your claims of making $75 an hour?
>
>Shrug..cost me almost $300 for the grind and all the bearings and
>seals. So you are telling me that its MY fault that they fucked up
>the grind? Really?

Absolutely. Buy a rebuilt long block already! Oh right, can't do that
without money.

>My "old beater"? Which one is that?

Everything you own.

>And..no contradiction in making $75 an hour. How could there be?

The same way all your stories contradict reality.

Tim Wescott

May 26, 2016, 1:09:36 PM5/26/16
I think the flashlight/laser idea will be a disappointment: the
flashlight won't illuminate well at long distances, and the laser will
pretty much show you exactly where in the dark unknown your bullet will
hit -- but you won't know if it's a legal-to-shoot varmint, or the
neighborhood 5-year old.

For that matter, the IR that that camera sees is not the IR of thermal
vision -- ordinary camera IR is about 1 micron wavelength; thermal vision
IR is 3-5 micron or 8-12 micron.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!

Greg Stearns

May 26, 2016, 2:58:43 PM5/26/16
And, because it's a complete fabrication - pure bullshit - it was still
wrong.

>> But then, refusing to learn from your mistakes is your trademark,
>> right?
>
> Of course

Of course!

Greg Stearns

May 26, 2016, 2:59:59 PM5/26/16
On 5/25/2016 6:45 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2016 17:32:29 -0700, LaGrange <l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Ayup..and I revised that in 2010-11ish IRRC. Seemed to have missed
>>> that didnt you?
>>
>> You've been revising it ever since you first made the prediction. And
>> you'll continue revising until you croak. You'll never admit that it's
>> nothing but fantasy.

>>> Of course...Ive been a registered Democrat for the past 9 or so years.
>>> But I did learn...last month I changed to Independant.
>>>
>>> Too bad you will be stupid forever.
>>
>> I said you were full of shit when you first made the prediction. I've
>> been right about your delusion ever since, and I'll continue to be
>> right. You'll continue to be broke and stupid and expressing your
>> unhappiness through crackpot declarations.
>
> Fortunately..Im not you and can find my ass with either hand

Yeah, you just tap on your forehead!

<VBG> Cites? indeed crom fascinating "I've not" buffoon "hold that

Greg Stearns

May 26, 2016, 3:01:54 PM5/26/16
He has "revised" his out-of-thin-air fantasy too many times to count.
It's a lot like the empty death threats.

>>> But then, refusing to learn from your mistakes is your trademark,
>>> right?
>>
>> Of course...Ive been a registered Democrat for the past 9 or so years.

LOL! No, he hasn't.

>> But I did learn...last month I changed to Independant.
>>

> Too bad that the intent of the Founding Fathers is not still the law
> of the land as they believed that it was self-evident that only those
> with a stake in society should have a voice in determining who would
> govern that society. They believed that, since government was
> established to protect property and personal freedom, those involved
> in choosing that government should have some of each.

Don't worry, gummer doesn't vote.

Greg Stearns

May 26, 2016, 3:05:46 PM5/26/16
Come on - he'd still have:

- 264mph motorcycle ride
- shooting ground squirrels with handgun up to 200 yards
- kicking lightbulb out of fixture on 8' high ceiling
- "mercenary" in southern Africa (at age 21)
- 3/5/8/"a couple" years as a "cop on the street"
- black (of course) Victoria's Secret model for girlfriend
- dozens of other fantasies

I think if he let go of the "cull" fantasy, he'd still have plenty of
horseshit with which to amuse himself.

>> <VBG> Cites? indeed crom fascinating "I've not" buffoon "hold that thought"

Greg Stearns

May 26, 2016, 3:08:35 PM5/26/16
On 5/26/2016 3:04 AM, Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2016 18:45:17 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 25 May 2016 17:32:29 -0700, LaGrange <l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I said you were full of shit when you first made the prediction. I've
>>> been right about your delusion ever since, and I'll continue to be
>>> right. You'll continue to be broke and stupid and expressing your
>>> unhappiness through crackpot declarations.
>>
>> Fortunately..Im not you and can find my ass with either hand.
>
> I bought my first house over 40 years ago, and am now living in my
> seventh. When will you be buying *your* first house? Oh right, never.
> Apparently you've been concentrating on finding your ass

He's a slow learner? Forgetful? Both?

> when youshould have been figuring out how to earn a decent living.

Greg Stearns

May 26, 2016, 3:10:39 PM5/26/16
How is it you *always* manage to go to swindlers for service?

RogerN

May 26, 2016, 10:15:20 PM5/26/16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjF_QPcBXQg
>I think the flashlight/laser idea will be a disappointment: the
>flashlight won't illuminate well at long distances, and the laser will
>pretty much show you exactly where in the dark unknown your bullet will
>hit -- but you won't know if it's a legal-to-shoot varmint, or the
>neighborhood 5-year old.
>
>For that matter, the IR that that camera sees is not the IR of thermal
>vision -- ordinary camera IR is about 1 micron wavelength; thermal vision
>IR is 3-5 micron or 8-12 micron.
>
>--
>
>Tim Wescott
>Wescott Design Services
>http://www.wescottdesign.com
>
>I'm looking for work -- see my website!

Yeah, it takes a pretty good IR flashlight to see very far but some of them
get out a few hundred yards.
IR Illuminator testing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjF_QPcBXQg

A guy with a camcorder siilar to mine setup on his scope for shooting rats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q09cJnH5NtQ

I have a decent flashlight that came with rechargable batteries, scope
mount, remote switch and pretty good lens to adjust from flood to beam.
Feels weird being out in dark and only being able to see through the camera,
holding camera in one hand and IR light in the other. My IR is 850nm
wavelength and you can see the LED glow red but you can't see the light
without the camera.

For those with some spare money the X-Sight digital day/night scope looks
interesting. It combines the camera image with software for features such
as one shot zero, has GPS and compass, accelerometer for tilt angles,
recording video or snapping pictures, etc..

RogerN

DoN. Nichols

May 26, 2016, 11:42:31 PM5/26/16
On 2016-05-24, RogerN <re...@midwest.net> wrote:
> So far the most economical option I have found for cheap night vision would
> be to use an automotive backup camera with monitor, Amazon has them for $30
> range with free shipping. The camera's should already have the IR filter
> removed because they come with IR LED light source.

Why would it need an IR LED light source? You're only looking
at it when the transmission is in reverse. (And at least on my Nissan
Cube, the screen is only active when in reverse -- in forward or stop it
is control of the entertainment system, or the GPS -- or both at once.

Granted, I would like to have it come on without having to
switch into reverse occasionally. And I guess a third-party one would
tend to be on full time -- easier wiring than having to tie into the
back-up lights.

Now -- the cheap "security system" from Harbor Freight does have
LED illumination -- for short distances, at least. One camera is under
a solid piece of furniture where the cat hides during thunderstorms, and
it is pretty dark there without the IR LEDs. But remember that the
inverse square law says that there will be very little illumination as
the distance increases. But it does a nice job of showing close
snow during a storm at night. :-)

> On topic, machining required for camera mount to scope and monitor mount.
> The system is set up for 12V power and has cords for camera and monitor.
> These should be able to be powered by 3 lithium cells in series or other 12V
> power source. Add a good IR flashlight and optional IR laser sight for
> invisible night time shooting/pest control.

That Harbor Freight one is also powered by 12V -- with a wall
wart as supplied.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: <BPdnic...@d-and-d.com> | (KV4PH) Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

alvin...@geemail.org

May 26, 2016, 11:57:47 PM5/26/16
<BD...@msn.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 25 May 2016 18:45:17 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 25 May 2016 17:32:29 -0700, LaGrange <l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>I said you were full of shit when you first made the prediction. I've
>>>been right about your delusion ever since, and I'll continue to be
>>>right. You'll continue to be broke and stupid and expressing your
>>>unhappiness through crackpot declarations.
>>
>>Fortunately..Im not you and can find my ass with either hand.
>
>I bought my first house over 40 years ago, and am now living in my
>seventh. When will you be buying *your* first house? Oh right, never.
>Apparently you've been concentrating on finding your ass when you
>should have been figuring out how to earn a decent living.

Forty years ago? That was, what? Three years after you got back from
Vietnam? Bought a house? Damn, they must have paid you a lot of money
in the Army.

English Language Lesson:
Bought - acquired by trade or exchange
Obtain by purchase
Note the words, "Obtain" and "Acquire"

>>>Did you scrounge up the $300 to get Hotel Econoline out of the repair
>>>shop yet?
>>
>>Crom yes..did that a couple weeks ago. We found that the grind shop
>>had not ground one of the journals properly...
>
><sigh> It's always someone else's fault, right? Bottom line, your old
>beater remains out of service due to your lack of funds. See any
>contradiction with your claims of making $75 an hour?
--

Alvin D.

Tim Wescott

May 27, 2016, 11:40:58 AM5/27/16
If I knew that you had the money, I'd suggest you get a real thermal
imager -- but a quick check shows a bunch of $300 ones that work with
smart-phones, while the cheapest one that might make a decent scope
starting at $1600 or so (and I have no idea what the authorities would
think of a rifle-mounted thermal imager -- it'd be the bees knees for
what you want, but the military likes them because they're a superb
sniper weapon).

Imagine all the varmints lit up like torches in the darkness -- that's
what things look like with a thermal imager, day or night, unless it's
hot out. As long as you're shooting at things that are warm-blooded,
that is.

Note, too, that unless things have changed since I was active in the
field, that $1600 monocular is probably a $300 camera married to $1300
worth of optics -- the cheap (yes, $1600 is cheap) thermal imagers work
at 8-12 micron, and materials that make decent optics at those
wavelengths are pretty exotic.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested

DoN. Nichols

May 27, 2016, 11:36:14 PM5/27/16
On 2016-05-27, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2016 21:15:09 -0500, RogerN wrote:
>
>>>"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

[ ... ]

>> For those with some spare money the X-Sight digital day/night scope
>> looks interesting. It combines the camera image with software for
>> features such as one shot zero, has GPS and compass, accelerometer for
>> tilt angles, recording video or snapping pictures, etc..
>
> If I knew that you had the money, I'd suggest you get a real thermal
> imager -- but a quick check shows a bunch of $300 ones that work with
> smart-phones, while the cheapest one that might make a decent scope
> starting at $1600 or so (and I have no idea what the authorities would
> think of a rifle-mounted thermal imager -- it'd be the bees knees for
> what you want, but the military likes them because they're a superb
> sniper weapon).
>
> Imagine all the varmints lit up like torches in the darkness -- that's
> what things look like with a thermal imager, day or night, unless it's
> hot out. As long as you're shooting at things that are warm-blooded,
> that is.

And things like tanks sort of fade out and in during the
transition from daylight to night or vise versa. Sun goes down,
background dirt and foliage cool off quickly, sun heated tank stands
out brightly. Eventually, it cools down to the temperature of the
background and becomes pretty hard to make out, then when dawn comes the
reverse starts. :-)

> Note, too, that unless things have changed since I was active in the
> field, that $1600 monocular is probably a $300 camera married to $1300
> worth of optics -- the cheap (yes, $1600 is cheap) thermal imagers work
> at 8-12 micron, and materials that make decent optics at those
> wavelengths are pretty exotic.

And while they look in shape like lenses, you can't see through
them. Typically silicon or germanium are used as far IR lenses.

Tim Wescott

May 28, 2016, 12:03:28 AM5/28/16
But if you _start_ the tank, and it doesn't have really good thermal
management, it'll glow. Which is how we did so well at the very
beginning of the first Gulf war. Until the Iraqis started making fake
cardboard tanks and put smudge-pots inside, to heat them up.

>> Note, too, that unless things have changed since I was active in the
>> field, that $1600 monocular is probably a $300 camera married to $1300
>> worth of optics -- the cheap (yes, $1600 is cheap) thermal imagers work
>> at 8-12 micron, and materials that make decent optics at those
>> wavelengths are pretty exotic.
>
> And while they look in shape like lenses, you can't see through
> them. Typically silicon or germanium are used as far IR lenses.

Well, they are lenses, and they are transparent -- they're just not
transparent at the wavelengths that we can see.

I used to work for FLIR systems; one of the guys there used to work at a
semiconductor company and had an 8-inch silicon wafer. It was fun to use
for science experiments with our 3-5 imagers, to compare it's
transparency in IR to it's opacity in visible.

RogerN

May 28, 2016, 1:03:35 AM5/28/16
>"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
>
>On Sat, 28 May 2016 03:35:59 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:
>
><snip>
>> And while they look in shape like lenses, you can't see through
>> them. Typically silicon or germanium are used as far IR lenses.
>>

>Well, they are lenses, and they are transparent -- they're just not
>transparent at the wavelengths that we can see.
>
>I used to work for FLIR systems; one of the guys there used to work at a
>semiconductor company and had an 8-inch silicon wafer. It was fun to use
>for science experiments with our 3-5 imagers, to compare it's
>transparency in IR to it's opacity in visible.
>
>--
>Tim Wescott
>Control systems, embedded software and circuit design
>I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested
>http://www.wescottdesign.com

I looked up some FLIR info a while back and saw the major expense was the
lenses. I'm guessing the sensor array wouldn't work well with just a
pinhole for a lens? I saw Digi-Key had some sensors but they were low
resolution, 8X8 IIRC. It still would be fun to play with, perhaps
interpolating between pixels for sub pixel resolution, at least to get an
image bigger than 8X8 on a screen. It probably wouldn't be very good but
at least maybe you could locate some thermal variation.

RogerN

Tim Wescott

May 28, 2016, 1:08:45 PM5/28/16
On Sat, 28 May 2016 00:03:40 -0500, RogerN wrote:

>>"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
>>
>>On Sat, 28 May 2016 03:35:59 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>> And while they look in shape like lenses, you can't see through them.
>>> Typically silicon or germanium are used as far IR lenses.
>>>

>>Well, they are lenses, and they are transparent -- they're just not
>>transparent at the wavelengths that we can see.
>>
>>I used to work for FLIR systems; one of the guys there used to work at a
>>semiconductor company and had an 8-inch silicon wafer. It was fun to
>>use for science experiments with our 3-5 imagers, to compare it's
>>transparency in IR to it's opacity in visible.
>>
>>--
>>Tim Wescott Control systems, embedded software and circuit design I'm
>>looking for work! See my website if you're interested
>>http://www.wescottdesign.com
>
> I looked up some FLIR info a while back and saw the major expense was
> the lenses. I'm guessing the sensor array wouldn't work well with just
> a pinhole for a lens?

Not unless you can get the squirrels to agree to set themselves on fire
when you want to see them, no.

The sensors aren't very sensitive, and the optics need to be low-f
numbers, which is pretty much the opposite of pinholes.

> I saw Digi-Key had some sensors but they were low
> resolution, 8X8 IIRC. It still would be fun to play with, perhaps
> interpolating between pixels for sub pixel resolution, at least to get
> an image bigger than 8X8 on a screen. It probably wouldn't be very
> good but at least maybe you could locate some thermal variation.

The original sidewinder missile used a one "pixel" detector and did
pretty good for it's day.

DoN. Nichols

May 28, 2016, 9:12:10 PM5/28/16
On 2016-05-28, RogerN <re...@midwest.net> wrote:
>>"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
>>
>>On Sat, 28 May 2016 03:35:59 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

>>> And while they look in shape like lenses, you can't see through
>>> them. Typically silicon or germanium are used as far IR lenses.
>>>

>>Well, they are lenses, and they are transparent -- they're just not
>>transparent at the wavelengths that we can see.

Agreed.

>>I used to work for FLIR systems; one of the guys there used to work at a
>>semiconductor company and had an 8-inch silicon wafer. It was fun to use
>>for science experiments with our 3-5 imagers, to compare it's
>>transparency in IR to it's opacity in visible.

We didn't have any silicon wafers handy, but had plenty of
prototype far IR imagers to play with. Nice the patterns body contact
makes as the body heat is conducted through typical clothing. :-)

[ ... ]

> I looked up some FLIR info a while back and saw the major expense was the
> lenses.

There were various FLIR systems -- some were prototype, some
actual production items being sent into the field. FLIR stood for "Far
Looking Infra Red", and applied to both the far IR which we have been
discussing, and also near IR (just below the frequency (above the
wavelength of visible light.) Those near IR systems had big Catadioptric
(sp?) (mirror) lenses, and a multi-stage image Intensifier. You could
also use standrd visible light lenses with the near IR systems. The
night vision scope on the rifles, and later ones with single-stage
microchannel intensifiers, used plain visible light optics.

> I'm guessing the sensor array wouldn't work well with just a
> pinhole for a lens?

How long do you have to integrate each pixel? A pinhole means
very little thermal difference, so you have to average the signal for a
long time to see a difference. (Lots of thermal noise from the sensors
with that little illumination.)

> I saw Digi-Key had some sensors but they were low
> resolution, 8X8 IIRC. It still would be fun to play with, perhaps
> interpolating between pixels for sub pixel resolution, at least to get an
> image bigger than 8X8 on a screen. It probably wouldn't be very good but
> at least maybe you could locate some thermal variation.

You could use pure mirror lenses, with just a spider supporting
the front mirror, not any transparent support, so the lens should work
as well for far IR as for visible light.

And the trick with sensors like that is to scan them to get more
coverage. One trick was a rotating multi-faceted mirror, with each
facet at a slightly different angle relative to the axis, so it scans a
line parallel to the previous one. Of course, this requires a fairly
quickly-responding sensor, so likely would need cryogenic cooling to
keep the thermal noise down.

Ruff

May 28, 2016, 11:30:13 PM5/28/16
RogerNothing:

> I looked up some FLIR info a while back and saw the major expense was the
> lenses. I'm guessing the sensor array wouldn't work well with just a
> pinhole for a lens?

Here's an impressive lens.
<https://theintercept.com/2016/05/25/american-sniper-chris-kyle-distorted-his-military-record-documents-show/>

> It probably wouldn't be very good but
> at least maybe you could locate some thermal variation.

So what? Just tell stories about how good it is. Like this.
"Kyle wrote in his memoir that he had 160 “confirmed kills” as a sniper,
a self-reported statistic."
<https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-sniper-chris-kyle-lied-151100428.html>

RogerN

May 29, 2016, 8:01:13 PM5/29/16
>"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
>
>On 2016-05-28, RogerN <re...@midwest.net> wrote:
><snip>
>

>And the trick with sensors like that is to scan them to get more
>coverage. One trick was a rotating multi-faceted mirror, with each
>facet at a slightly different angle relative to the axis, so it scans a
>line parallel to the previous one. Of course, this requires a fairly
>quickly-responding sensor, so likely would need cryogenic cooling to
>keep the thermal noise down.
>
>Enjoy,
>DoN.
>
>--
I know for IR reflectors I have seen, they are a gold color. Would those
mirrors work for far IR?

I have a BOE BOT educational basic stamp robot that has a servo and a "Ping"
ultrasonic sensor. The servo sweeps the sensor back and forth, pinging
distances to objects at various angles and turns the robot in an open
direction. There is a program for the programming computer to read this
data and it gives you a graphical representation of what is being detected.
I thought about trying that same approach with a single IR temperature
sensor but plot a direction and a color representing temperature. If this
were fast enough a person could use mirrors like a laser printer uses (old
ones anyway) and get a 2D array with each sweep, like a TV scan but with a
temperature sensor. Of course this would be limited by the reaction speed
of the sensor. Anyway, with moresensors it could be done better. I guess
you would have to have curvature in the mirror and focus similar to a lens?

I have thought of the above more as a security system to detect people or
animals without emitting IR light that someone can see with night vision. I
watch some videos of thermal vision hunting and it really highlights the
animals over the background. We have a FLIR camera at work that we inspect
electrical cabinets with, shows weak connections that need tightened or
replaced before failure, very interesting technology.

RogerN

DoN. Nichols

May 29, 2016, 9:21:12 PM5/29/16
On 2016-05-30, RogerN <re...@midwest.net> wrote:
>>"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
>>
>>On 2016-05-28, RogerN <re...@midwest.net> wrote:
>><snip>
>>

>>And the trick with sensors like that is to scan them to get more
>>coverage. One trick was a rotating multi-faceted mirror, with each
>>facet at a slightly different angle relative to the axis, so it scans a
>>line parallel to the previous one. Of course, this requires a fairly
>>quickly-responding sensor, so likely would need cryogenic cooling to
>>keep the thermal noise down.

[ ... ]

> I know for IR reflectors I have seen, they are a gold color. Would those
> mirrors work for far IR?

Sure. For far IR, it doesn't take much to reflect it. A plain
sheet of aluminum looks like a mirror to an IR imager. If you want to
use glass as the basis, you need first-surface coatings for the
reflection. (That is -- unlike normal home mirrors, the light does not
pass through the glass to the metal coating, and then pass through it
again. Most glass is pretty opaque to Far IR -- with the exception of
specialty things like IRTRAN.

> I have a BOE BOT educational basic stamp robot that has a servo and a "Ping"
> ultrasonic sensor. The servo sweeps the sensor back and forth, pinging
> distances to objects at various angles and turns the robot in an open
> direction. There is a program for the programming computer to read this
> data and it gives you a graphical representation of what is being detected.
> I thought about trying that same approach with a single IR temperature
> sensor but plot a direction and a color representing temperature.

Yes -- but you are missing something that the ping gives you --
distance. Since you are seeing the IR radiated by the object, not
something reflected off it from a short pulse from the sensor end, you
really don't have distance information.

> If this
> were fast enough a person could use mirrors like a laser printer uses (old
> ones anyway) and get a 2D array with each sweep, like a TV scan but with a
> temperature sensor. Of course this would be limited by the reaction speed
> of the sensor. Anyway, with moresensors it could be done better. I guess
> you would have to have curvature in the mirror and focus similar to a lens?

Yes -- a mirror lens, with a second smaller mirror held in the
center of the field of view to reflect it through a hole in the center
of the mirror. There are such lenses sold for good SLR cameras, and as
really high quality telescopes which can be used for limited
astronomical work -- if you live in a place without a lot of light
pollution. One of the really nice ones was the Questar.

> I have thought of the above more as a security system to detect people or
> animals without emitting IR light that someone can see with night vision.

It will tell you the direction -- but not the distance. If
there is only one hot spot, a second system could show you a different
angle and where they cross is your target.

> watch some videos of thermal vision hunting and it really highlights the
> animals over the background.

I suspect that a polar bear would not be that visible -- they
have really good insulation. :-)

> We have a FLIR camera at work that we inspect
> electrical cabinets with, shows weak connections that need tightened or
> replaced before failure, very interesting technology.

Including things like aluminum wiring, which tends to degrade
its connection with thermal cycling. (A primary example of the needing
tightening).

One intersting thing with something like that -- take a pad of
paper, place your hand on it for a few seconds and lift it off. You
will see a handprint which will slowly fade away.

And -- if you have someone with a bushy mustache, have him
breathe through it, and it will light up as his exhaled breath warms it,
and darken as he inhales, cooling it. (Or the opposite, if the system is
switched to hot-dark mode. :-)

RogerN

May 31, 2016, 12:19:58 AM5/31/16
>"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
>
>On 2016-05-30, RogerN <re...@midwest.net> wrote:
>>>"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
><snip>
>One intersting thing with something like that -- take a pad of
>paper, place your hand on it for a few seconds and lift it off. You
>will see a handprint which will slowly fade away.
>
>And -- if you have someone with a bushy mustache, have him
>breathe through it, and it will light up as his exhaled breath warms it,
>and darken as he inhales, cooling it. (Or the opposite, if the system is
>switched to hot-dark mode. :-)
>
>Enjoy,
>DoN.
>
>--

I think I snipped it, but the part where you mentioned using a second sensor
to detect a temperature difference, isn't that how the PIR sensors work?

I used to repair to repair copy machines for about 10 years and most of them
had first surface mirrors to reflect the document image to the
photoconductive drum. When I did controls engineering one of our customers
made automotive lamp assemblies and used aluminum vapor deposition to make
the reflective inner housings.

Very interesting technology but the good stuff is pricey, the other day I
saw an ad for a thermal imaging rifle scope for $8,XXX .

RogerN

Jim Wilkins

May 31, 2016, 8:00:33 AM5/31/16
"RogerN" <re...@midwest.net> wrote in message

> I used to repair to repair copy machines for about 10 years and most
> of them had first surface mirrors to reflect the document image to
> the photoconductive drum. When I did controls engineering one of
> our customers made automotive lamp assemblies and used aluminum
> vapor deposition to make the reflective inner housings.
>
> RogerN

I was given an HP6110 Officejet all-in-one that couldn't Home at
startup. HP's repair instructions for that problem are to buy a newer
model. The lamp causes nearby plastic to outgas and fog the
front-surface mirror. I cleaned it well enough for home use with CRC
Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner and a degreased Q-Tip. Is there a better
choice?

--jsw

RogerN

May 31, 2016, 10:58:19 AM5/31/16
>"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news:nijucu$pit$1...@dont-email.me...
I used to use rubbing alcohol and a light touch with cotton pads, the
surface seems to scratch easy. The alcohol streaks but if you keep rubbing
until it dries it seems to work well. The strongest solvent we used in
cleaning copy machines was MEK but never needed it on the mirrors IIRC.

RogerN

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

May 31, 2016, 11:05:15 AM5/31/16
"RogerN" <re...@midwest.net> fired this volley in

> I used to use rubbing alcohol and a light touch with cotton pads, the
> surface seems to scratch easy. The alcohol streaks but if you keep
> rubbing until it dries it seems to work well. The strongest solvent
> we used in cleaning copy machines was MEK but never needed it on the
> mirrors IIRC.

Although they're a LOT more expensive than isopropyl alcohol and a cotton
ball, 3M puts out a line of singly-pouched little 'nappies' with just the
right solvent blend and abrasion-free fiber pad to clean 1st-surface
mirrors.

Duh... yeah.... pure aluminum with a 1/10 micron coating of silicon
dioxide IS, indeed, easy to scratch!

Lloyd

Gunner Asch

May 31, 2016, 5:15:24 PM5/31/16
Yes...in some cases it IS a self reported stat. Carlos Hathcock had
93 "confirmed". That means that either it was witnessed or a body was
actually there when/where the shooter said it was and was investigated
(IE..data off the body was collected for intel etc). That being
said..Carlos himself stated he shot a heck of a lot more people than
was "confirmed". He estimated that he zapped around 300 but of that,
only 93 were "recorded"

I have some ..some experience in the matter, and oten shooting
someone, in a battle situation , the body simply didnt turn up as a
recorded kill to one individual, bcause there was no witness. I have
no idea if Kyle did or did not shoot 160 people, but in his AO..it
would have surprised me if it were any less. Shrug
BTDT.

Gunner

Greg Stearns

May 31, 2016, 7:05:10 PM5/31/16
On 5/31/2016 2:11 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2016 20:30:07 -0700, Ruff <seag...@banks.com> wrote:
>
>> RogerNothing:
>>>
>>> I looked up some FLIR info a while back and saw the major expense was the
>>> lenses. I'm guessing the sensor array wouldn't work well with just a
>>> pinhole for a lens?
>>
>> Here's an impressive lens.
>> <https://theintercept.com/2016/05/25/american-sniper-chris-kyle-distorted-his-military-record-documents-show/>
>>

>>> It probably wouldn't be very good but
>>> at least maybe you could locate some thermal variation.
>>
>> So what? Just tell stories about how good it is. Like this.
>> "Kyle wrote in his memoir that he had 160 “confirmed kills” as a sniper,
>> a self-reported statistic."
>> <https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-sniper-chris-kyle-lied-151100428.html>
>>

> Yes...in some cases it IS a self reported stat. Carlos Hathcock had
> 93 "confirmed". That means that either it was witnessed or a body was
> actually there when/where the shooter said it was and was investigated
> (IE..data off the body was collected for intel etc). That being
> said..Carlos himself stated he shot a heck of a lot more people than
> was "confirmed". He estimated that he zapped around 300 but of that,
> only 93 were "recorded"
>
> I have some ..some experience in the matter

LOL!

No.

The Mighty Ant

May 31, 2016, 10:26:58 PM5/31/16
On Tue, 31 May 2016 14:11:11 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Of course you have had "experience in the matter". Tell us again about
your two (was it) combat tours in Vietnam back when you were, what?
Fifteen years old?

As for "how many", who knows? It probably depends on the guy's
honesty. Yours, of course register zero, and we all know that you are
some feeble "limp dick" that is fantasizing how he really is a big
swinger.

Or, as some say, "Walter Mitty".
--
and a good day to you Sir,

The Mighty Ant

The Mighty Ant

May 31, 2016, 10:36:14 PM5/31/16
Not so. Gunner has a very elaborate "fantasy life". Some even say that
he's whole life, as he vocalizes it, is a dream. Walter Mitty in the
flesh one might say.

DoN. Nichols

Jun 1, 2016, 12:36:54 AM6/1/16
On 2016-05-31, RogerN <re...@midwest.net> wrote:
>>"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

> I think I snipped it, but the part where you mentioned using a second sensor
> to detect a temperature difference, isn't that how the PIR sensors work?

I was suggesting two sensors viewing from different locations so
you have two lines of sight from sensors to target, and where the lines
cross is the location of the target. The temperature sensors give you
no distance information.

> I used to repair to repair copy machines for about 10 years and most of them
> had first surface mirrors to reflect the document image to the
> photoconductive drum.

Yep! With first surface, you don't get unwanted (and dimmer)
secondary reflections from the surface of the glass before the light
reaches the intended reflecting surface. You don't want "ghosts" in
your copies. :-)

> When I did controls engineering one of our customers
> made automotive lamp assemblies and used aluminum vapor deposition to make
> the reflective inner housings.

That makes nice ones -- and if a transmissive clear coating
applied over that (glass, or some similar substance evaporated in the
vacuum chamber.

But a vacuum chamber of sufficient size is quite pricey, and you
have to tear it down and etch away various deposits every few uses.

> Very interesting technology but the good stuff is pricey, the other day I
> saw an ad for a thermal imaging rifle scope for $8,XXX .

The ones which I saw were made for the Army -- some regular
production, some prototypes. And making them shock-resistant enough to
live on top of an operating rifle adds to the costs. :-)

Greg Stearns

Jun 1, 2016, 3:38:59 AM6/1/16
That's gummer, to a "T".

The Mighty Ant

Jun 1, 2016, 3:43:09 AM6/1/16
On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 00:38:57 -0700, Greg Stearns
Gunner Mitty?

Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis

Jun 1, 2016, 4:43:32 AM6/1/16
wrote:

> I have some ..some experience in the matter, and oten shooting
>someone, in a battle situation , the body simply didnt turn up as a
>recorded kill to one individual, bcause there was no witness.

Bwhahahahahahaha!

I have some... some doubt that Wieber will ever accept that nobody
takes him at his word for his trail of bodies, vast ranch, 264mph
motorcycle...

I also have some... some confidence that Wieber's wife's boyfriends
had some... some confidence that they had absolutely nothing to fear
from Wieber.

And I know... know that I remain alive despite multiple assurances
from Wieber that I was going to be dead some... some years ago.

Terry Coombs

Jun 1, 2016, 9:10:52 AM6/1/16
Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis wrote:

Very little of substance . Don't you have anything better to do than stalk
people on the newsgroups ?
It must really suck to be you ...

Snag

Not that I'm a big fan of Gunner , but all you're doing is poisoning the
well for all who read here . I come here for metalworking posts , not
personal attacks and political bullshit . I hope your mom's basement floods
and ruins all your computer gear .

Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis

Jun 1, 2016, 11:29:13 AM6/1/16
On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 08:10:50 -0500, "Terry Coombs" <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:

>Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis wrote:
>
> Very little of substance . Don't you have anything better to do than stalk
>people on the newsgroups ?
> It must really suck to be you ...

Doctor, heal thyself. Stop whining and stop reading what you don't
want to read.

> Snag
>
> Not that I'm a big fan of Gunner ,

Oh please, you're fine with his bullshit stories about his trail of
bodies. If you weren't, then you'd be whining.

> but all you're doing is poisoning the
>well for all who read here . I come here for metalworking posts , not
>personal attacks and political bullshit .

Then you came to the wrong group. Because in this one, if you disagree
with some posters, they'll make up nonsense (like you did above and
below) and some will say year after year that you're soon to be
killed. They'll even say they have some... some experience at doing
that! And most of the rest will either agree or keep quiet, because
they LIKE reading political bullshit. And the shittier the better
apparently.

> I hope your mom's basement floods
>and ruins all your computer gear .

Whoa! How original! Did you type that out or copy/paste? I may have my
lawyers send you a summins for the emotional distress you caused with
that devastating retort. What's next, "your mama," or "poopy head?"

Gunner Asch

Jun 2, 2016, 12:14:44 AM6/2/16
On Wed, 01 Jun 2016 08:29:09 -0700, Christmas Card From a Hooker in
Minneapolis <cc...@twaits.com> wrote:

>Whoa! How original! Did you type that out or copy/paste? I may have my
>lawyers send you a summins for the emotional distress you caused with
>that devastating retort. What's next, "your mama," or "poopy head?"

I find it utterly facinating you are so happy that your Mom sent you a
Christmas card from Minneapolis.

Greg Stearns

Jun 2, 2016, 1:06:32 AM6/2/16
On 6/1/2016 9:10 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Jun 2016 08:29:09 -0700, Christmas Card From a Hooker in
> Minneapolis <cc...@twaits.com> wrote:
>

>> Whoa! How original! Did you type that out or copy/paste? I may have my
>> lawyers send you a summins for the emotional distress you caused with
>> that devastating retort. What's next, "your mama," or "poopy head?"
>
> I find it utterly facinating

<VBG> Cites? indeed fascinating "I've not" buffoon "hold that thought"
backhoe "the list" cull 264mph "3/5/8 years street cop" swingers leftists

Terry Coombs

Jun 2, 2016, 3:08:30 PM6/2/16
Does he really think I didn't killfile him ? Please , don't respond again
Gunner . If we ALL ignore him he'll fade away into the darkling night .

--
Snag

Just The Right Bullets

Jun 2, 2016, 5:57:12 PM6/2/16
On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 14:08:27 -0500, "Terry Coombs" <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:
Nope, I'll still be here. Wieber can plug his ears but most others
will get to see him mocked for being the kind of incompetent liar some
of like to read for various reasons. As for you, people who don't want
to read, don't read. Simple. But people who like to whine, demand that
others only write what they like, yammer about killfiles, and write
personal attacks claiming they don't like personal attacks, etc.

RogerN

Jun 2, 2016, 10:48:49 PM6/2/16
>"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

<snip>
>And -- if you have someone with a bushy mustache, have him
>breathe through it, and it will light up as his exhaled breath warms it,
>and darken as he inhales, cooling it. (Or the opposite, if the system is
>switched to hot-dark mode. :-)
>
>Enjoy,
>DoN.

I found a video where someone used servos to scan an area with a single IR
sensor and displayed the results, that's what I thought about doing but it
would be too slow for most of what I wanted it for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSTZ0l0vfvE

RogerN

DoN. Nichols

Jun 3, 2016, 8:45:36 PM6/3/16
On 2016-06-03, RogerN <re...@midwest.net> wrote:
I have seen a relatively simple single sensor system - made by
Barnes, IIRC, back in the 1970s. It had a two sided mirror which was
scanned both left-to-right and top to bottom (slower for the latter),
and reflected the image from the IR lens onto the detector moving the
detector in a raster scan pattern. The other side of the mirror had a
modulated light source -- a bit early for LEDs, though possibly that.
More likely to be a neon lamp through a pinhole -- onto some 4x6"
Polaroid film. It took a while, but generated a good image, and one of
the people demonstrating it said that it had convinced him to stop
smoking. He took a scan of his hand before a cigarette, and about five
minutes after one, and the loss of blood flow to the hand rather scared
him.

So -- a slow scan is possible, and useful for certain things.
One possibility is scanning a circuit breaker box -- looking for warm
areas where the wire screws need to be tightened or the breaker
replaced. (Or where the current draw needs to be reduced. :-)