I actually..really ...finally paid for Agent Newsreader yesterday

Gunner Asch

May 29, 2015, 10:49:17 PM5/29/15
It really felt odd..buying a piece of software. After 20+ yrs...I
paid for one.

I...I...I feel...good.

(Grin)

Gunner

ex-PFC Wintergreen

May 29, 2015, 11:23:48 PM5/29/15
On 5/29/2015 7:49 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> It really felt odd..buying a piece of software. After 20+ yrs...I
> paid for one.

Looking forward to seeing you write that you finally stopped
dumpster-diving and bought some food.

Frank

May 30, 2015, 12:02:54 PM5/30/15
Mozilla Thunderbird is free and works for me.
Also use as email client.

rbowman

May 30, 2015, 2:16:07 PM5/30/15
On 05/30/2015 10:02 AM, Frank wrote:
> Mozilla Thunderbird is free and works for me.
> Also use as email client.

+1. And it's cross platform if I need to use one of those unfree
operating systems.

Rex

May 31, 2015, 8:41:46 PM5/31/15
I've used Tbird and Free Agent both for years at a time. Free Agent was far better than T-bird.
But I confess I'm currently using Google Groups.

Rex

Rudy Canoza

May 31, 2015, 8:45:07 PM5/31/15
On 5/31/2015 5:41 PM, Rex wrote:
> I've used Tbird and Free Agent both for years at a time. Free Agent was far better than T-bird.
> But I confess I'm currently using Google Groups.

Google Groups blows. You can only post to a single group, even if the
message to which you reply was crossposted to several.

It also flows the text interminably to the right, so that if someone
using a newsreader client responds to it, he can't see the entire
message to which he's replying in the window.

Rudy Canoza

May 31, 2015, 8:48:03 PM5/31/15
I can't see why anyone would pay $30 for a limited-use product when
perfectly serviceable free software is widely available. Agent might be
"better" than Thunderbird and other free clients, but I have a hard time
imagining it to be $30 better. No one pays for a browser...

Gunner Asch

May 31, 2015, 8:58:27 PM5/31/15
On Sun, 31 May 2015 17:41:42 -0700 (PDT), Rex <burkh...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I've used Tbird and Free Agent both for years at a time. Free Agent was far better than T-bird.
> But I confess I'm currently using Google Groups.
>
>Rex

The best and easist version is Agent 1.92.

Id still be using it.but the newsserver runs SSL (security services)
and its not compatible. But it works great on Giganews etc etc.

Gunner

Garrett Fulton

May 31, 2015, 9:24:42 PM5/31/15
Rex, is there anyway to block a poster on Google groups? I haven't found a way.
Thanks for any time and help.

Frank

Jun 1, 2015, 12:02:39 PM6/1/15
Then there are costs of upgrades. Software like MS Office gets
antiquated or won't even read documents created in the updated editions.

That said, nothing in life is free. Companies like Google become rich
giving away things for free.

Larry Jaques

Jun 1, 2015, 12:14:42 PM6/1/15
On Sun, 31 May 2015 17:58:20 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I used Free Agent (earliest v0.93) for years, to good effect, and am
now running Agent 6. Love it. It's how news should look/work, afaic.

--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Rudy Canoza

Jun 1, 2015, 12:25:16 PM6/1/15
That's true. However, in browsers, there are at least competing "free"
products. I've been reasonably happy with Firefox. I originally used
Netscape, then its integrated package SeaMonkey (browser and e-mail),
and now Firefox (and Thunderbird.) I'm not suggesting they're perfect,
but they meet my needs, and they're free. Once you get used to a
product and it meets your needs, there's not much incentive to look into
something else.

Frank

Jun 1, 2015, 1:00:27 PM6/1/15
Just about the same path I took.

Gravitated to Thunderbird from paid Eudora email client when it was
discontinued and plus was their ng reader.

Gunner Asch

Jun 1, 2015, 1:55:32 PM6/1/15
Ive never found a good reason for "Desks"..but I can live with them.

Gunner

pyotr filipivich

Jun 1, 2015, 11:44:25 PM6/1/15
Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com> on Mon, 01 Jun 2015 10:55:37 -0700
I find them useful in this way:
"Saved Stuff" - the folders I created to put the messages I have
saved, for what ever reason.
"Low Traffic" the groups where little is posted, and that usually
on weekends.
"Song & Dance" - the music, books, and other "big file" groups. No
sense checking them more than once a week. Definitely not the several
times a day, such as for the "Text Newsgroups." - which gets the text
based "interesting stuff" - the survival ism, metal working,
religious discussions (sometimes all in the same newsgroup).

But whatever works for you
--
pyotr filipivich
Never pass up a change to kiss a Beeping Sleauty.

Larry Jaques

Jun 2, 2015, 7:34:17 AM6/2/15
On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 10:55:37 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 09:14:44 -0700, Larry Jaques
><lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 31 May 2015 17:58:20 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>The best and easist version is Agent 1.92.
>>>
>>>Id still be using it.but the newsserver runs SSL (security services)
>>>and its not compatible. But it works great on Giganews etc etc.
>>
>>I used Free Agent (earliest v0.93) for years, to good effect, and am
>>now running Agent 6. Love it. It's how news should look/work, afaic.
>
>Ive never found a good reason for "Desks"..but I can live with them.

I use Tbird for email, but I can live with Agent having the capacity,
too. As long as the memory footprint is small, and Forte does that
right; always has.

Gunner Asch

Jun 2, 2015, 9:21:24 AM6/2/15
On Tue, 02 Jun 2015 04:34:22 -0700, Larry Jaques
<lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 10:55:37 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 09:14:44 -0700, Larry Jaques
>><lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

>>>I used Free Agent (earliest v0.93) for years, to good effect, and am
>>>now running Agent 6. Love it. It's how news should look/work, afaic.
>>
>>Ive never found a good reason for "Desks"..but I can live with them.
>
>I use Tbird for email, but I can live with Agent having the capacity,
>too. As long as the memory footprint is small, and Forte does that
>right; always has.

On Agent 8.0..I found a way to turn all the email buttons off which in
itself is a good thing. The single issue I had with 1.93 was the Reply
by Email was right next to Reply to Post and I was forever opening up
the email window.

Gunner

rangerssuck

Jun 2, 2015, 5:22:34 PM6/2/15
Microsoft has a free plugin for older versions of office to let them read the new-format files.

nob...@nowhere.com

Jun 2, 2015, 5:50:51 PM6/2/15
I have used the Agent program to view newsgroups for years. I gave up
on the mail part of it because it is too complicated to set up and
keep working.

It is set to ignore messages aimed at more than one news group and I
use the following kill filters for heading content. If something
appears in more than one filter, it really doesn't matter.

****
subject: (obama* | bergdahl | clinton | bernie |barney | hastert | gop
| demo*)

****
Subject: ( actress | bikini | escort | teen | child | girl* | sex* |
picture* |porn* | hot | ass | puss* | queer | homo* | fuck* |
lesbian)

****
Subject: (miracle | muhammad | sacred |koch | god | koran | israel)

****
subject: ( cheap | money | dollar* | free | download | nike | sneaker
| movie* | earn | save | easy | income | fox* | tea* | .com )

Larry Jaques

Jun 2, 2015, 8:10:47 PM6/2/15
On Tue, 02 Jun 2015 06:22:01 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
Back as far as v4 or 5, I had to learn to hit R instead of F for a new
post instead of an email, which I didn't use in that app. But I still
occasionally flub it. <sigh> Should I --== hate ==-- this too, Mr.
Literalist?

Larry Jaques

Jun 2, 2015, 8:13:42 PM6/2/15
Yeah, that'll catch at least 12% of online spam...

Michael A. Terrell

Jun 4, 2015, 6:55:49 PM6/4/15

Gunner Asch wrote:

> It really felt odd..buying a piece of software. After 20+ yrs...I
> paid for one.
>
> I...I...I feel...good.

Have you seen a doctor about this latest episode? :)

Michael A. Terrell

Jun 4, 2015, 6:58:09 PM6/4/15
Switch to a real news server.

Stormin Mormon

Jun 4, 2015, 9:10:20 PM6/4/15
Be sure to talk to your doctor if this
lasts more than four hours.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

gerald...@yahoo.ca

Jun 5, 2015, 8:25:01 PM6/5/15
Every three months I pay a courtesy call to my doctor and she detects
a few signs of life. Every forth visit I do the fasting, sample, pills
routine and she responds with her vampire act which ends up costing me
the PSA lab test fee. I think this is the year for the Fecal Occult
Blood samples and bone density test. If she would just raise her voice
a bit things would be a lot simpler. I just hope she doesn't retire,
she bought the practise in 1977, and kept us both functioning since.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Larry Jaques

Jun 6, 2015, 12:35:59 AM6/6/15
On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 20:25:18 -0400, gerald...@yahoo.ca wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 21:10:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon
><cayo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Have you seen a doctor about this latest episode? :)
>>>

>>Be sure to talk to your doctor if this
>>lasts more than four hours.
>>
>>-
>>.
>>Christopher A. Young
>>learn more about Jesus
>>. www.lds.org
>>.
>>.
>Every three months I pay a courtesy call to my doctor and she detects
>a few signs of life.

That's good. And at least your IQ test came back negative, huh? ;)

>Every forth visit I do the fasting, sample, pills
>routine and she responds with her vampire act which ends up costing me
>the PSA lab test fee. I think this is the year for the Fecal Occult
>Blood samples and bone density test. If she would just raise her voice
>a bit things would be a lot simpler.

Try new batteries in your old hearing aid first, wot?

>I just hope she doesn't retire,
>she bought the practise in 1977, and kept us both functioning since.

Good luck! Far too many good doctors are bailing nowadays, and their
replacements look out for your fees, not your health. In fact, if
you're less healthy, they make more money seeing you more often.

Gunner Asch

Jun 6, 2015, 4:37:56 PM6/6/15
Like wow dude...why? Its really groovy to be ...cool dude!!

Michael A. Terrell

Jun 6, 2015, 7:50:44 PM6/6/15
Sigh, it's already too late! ;-)

Gray_Wolf

Jun 10, 2015, 3:32:03 AM6/10/15
On Fri, 29 May 2015 19:49:58 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>It really felt odd..buying a piece of software. After 20+ yrs...I
>paid for one.
>
>I...I...I feel...good.
>
>(Grin)
>
>Gunner

I confess. I've a few apps like VueScan and Newsleecher i pay for but
I'm still using Agent Ver. 2.0 :-)