Windows 10...seems to work fine

Gunner Asch

Jul 28, 2015, 2:08:10 PM7/28/15
Ive been dabbling with Windows 10 for the past 4 days..and it seems to
be well layed out..and works quite well.

I picked up an older Dell Alienware desktop a couple weeks ago, 4 gigs
memory, quad core, 3 gig processor, hot video card. It had a new
Gigabyte motherboard in it and a dreadful version of Win 8.2..

Ive been on the prefered list for updating to Windows 10 and installed
it last Saturday. No issues with installation, found all the hardware,
got all the drivers, and has been something of interest to start
working with. Keep in mind Ive had Windows 7 for about 4
months...everything else here runs XP Pro or Linux..some run both.

The only challenges Ive found is Windows insistance on "Bold New
Format"...its a very social operating system..which required me to
shut down a bunch of Social Media "stuff"...but the switches were
indeed there and easy to get to. Only other issue was getting my
system to speak to the other computers on the network..which was
easy..but I had to do some searching on the net to find how to do it.

You can..can use Workgroup as a network criteria..but it defaults to
"Homegroup" ..confused the shit out of me. It runs nicely now.

It does take a hefty computer to run..1.7 gig processor and at
minimum..2 gigs memory. Which means Ill have to either get more
memory or leave a couple of the machines runnng XP/Linux

You will be getting notice of free upgrade to Windows 10 if you are
running Win 7 or 8...dont be afraid to install it. Seems to work
nicely. The public upgrade will be available tommorow, the 29th

Gunner

Frank

Jul 28, 2015, 2:59:08 PM7/28/15
I prefer to wait a month or so.
Will be interesting to see if MS just foists it on you like they did the
Win 8 to 8.1 conversion.

Patsy Labia

Jul 28, 2015, 3:10:52 PM7/28/15
Thanks for the excellent review. It answered some questions for me.

rbowman

Jul 28, 2015, 10:56:09 PM7/28/15
On 07/28/2015 12:07 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> You will be getting notice of free upgrade to Windows 10 if you are
> running Win 7 or 8...dont be afraid to install it. Seems to work
> nicely. The public upgrade will be available tommorow, the 29th

We've been testing the previews for several months and downloaded the
RTM version. There have been some problems reported with nVidia drivers
and a couple of things will crash explorer. The Surface tabs need a
firmware update.

Apparently the public upgrade will be rolled out to those who 'reserved'
10 but it's not going to happen for everyone tomorrow. As usual, there
is uncertainty about the timing but it may take a week or more.

It might be an interesting ride. The consumer versions will have patches
pushed out automatically although there has been some discussion of
allowing home users to opt out of some, but not all, of the patches.

Professional users will still be more like patch Tuesday. Cynically, the
home users will be beta testing the patches. If nothing blows up for a
month or so, the professional users will get the patch.

We'll take one programming box up to 10 to test the upgrade process and
our software. I have no plans to upgrade either my work or personal
Windows 7 machines. The just isn't a compelling reason yet.

One thing not to install is .NET 4.6. With the default JIT engine it
tends to call functions with random parameters.

http://nickcraver.com/blog/2015/07/27/why-you-should-wait-on-dotnet-46/

BetaNews is one of the better sites for Windows stuff and The Register
is good for general industry news. Being Brits, it's sometimes hard to
tell what ElReg is talking about but you'll pick up Brit techie slang
sooner or later.

http://betanews.com/2015/07/28/10-reasons-not-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/28/windows_10_update_nvidia_driver_conflict/

fwiw, IE was identifying as Chrome but that apparently has been updated.
The new Edge browser identifies as Chrome because most sites wouldn't
know what edge is yet. The implication is older sites that use Java
applets won't work. Note that JavaScript is not Java despite the name.
The web runs on JavaScript and that hasn't changed.

Garrett Fulton

Jul 29, 2015, 5:52:37 AM7/29/15
Yeah, good review and thanks Gunner. Patsy, that's not really your name is it?

Gunner Asch

Aug 1, 2015, 3:45:37 AM8/1/15
On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 14:59:04 -0400, Frank <"frank "@comcast.net>
wrote:
I still have my Win 7 cds..and my XP Pro CDs... if 10 is a pain in the
ass.

Gunner