new spot welder

Cydrome Leader

Jun 14, 2016, 4:38:08 PM6/14/16
I ordered a sort of handheld type spot welder. It's Miller and rated
something like 6000A with the 6" tongs and uses 220V. I called to make
sure it's ok to use at 240 (and not go into saturation) or 208 and was
told no problem as the input tolerance is +/-10%.

Too much sniping bullshit on ebay with these things so it was time to just
buy new. The import ones smell too bad new and the ratings are 100%
bullshit anyways.

Any fun tips, tricks or stories with these spot welders?

David Billington

Jun 14, 2016, 6:10:46 PM6/14/16
Can you provide a link to what you're referring to as a quick search
didn't turn up any decent hits, a good link to the Miller and an import
example would be good for comparison purposes. I have an older Tecna?
Italian made spot welder that'll do that sort of current and it has
performed well but without a decent reference to what you're referring
to I can't really comment further.

Cydrome Leader

Jun 14, 2016, 7:12:29 PM6/14/16
sorry about that

LMSW-52. The Hobart ones were apparently the same machines made in
Wisconsin as well.

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/spot-welders/msw-and-lmsw-air-cooled-m11100

Gunner Asch

Jun 14, 2016, 7:40:56 PM6/14/16
The Miller handhelds are pretty decent, but dont expect to be able to
weld much thicker than about 10ga..and you should really be careful if
its galvanized or painted/coated But they are pretty decent units all
and all.

My buddy has a crate filled with dead ones...some of which he
accidently tried running on 440....cringe...till I brought him some
cable and totally different cord ends and put a 230 plug in his
welding area...he had been running them on a 440-ground setup...and
occasionaly used the wrong cord...cringe....

YouTube has lots of videos on their use, both the fancy ones and the
plain janes.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=miller+spot+welder

Gunner

---

Steve W.

Jun 15, 2016, 6:33:24 PM6/15/16
I use an OLD Lenco with a clamp head and the individual tongs in the
shop right next to an import clamp unit. Both do a good job. The biggest
thing is keeping the contact points shaped and clean. Neither of mine
have an issue with good weld through primer. The only issue I have had
with the Lenco was finding a replacement grip and the upper clamp
cracked (TIG to the rescue). The import works just fine but doesn't like
anything over 14 gauge. It also was cheap enough that if it dies
tomorrow I won't care...

--
Steve W.