Rusting Cast Iron

MOP CAP

Jul 20, 2016, 8:04:24 PM7/20/16
What is the best way to rust new cast iron?
Thanks,

CP

Larry Jaques

Jul 20, 2016, 9:17:17 PM7/20/16
On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 17:04:17 -0700, MOP CAP <em...@domain.com> wrote:

>What is the best way to rust new cast iron?

Piss on it.

--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.

Ignoramus5298

Jul 21, 2016, 9:57:13 AM7/21/16
On 2016-07-21, MOP CAP <em...@domain.com> wrote:
> What is the best way to rust new cast iron?
> Thanks,

make it wet and rub on some salt or ammonium nitrate

whit3rd

Jul 21, 2016, 3:09:02 PM7/21/16
On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 5:04:24 PM UTC-7, MOP CAP wrote:
> What is the best way to rust new cast iron?

I'd rinse it down with some chlorine bleach and keep it damp.

To get it black, heat it and apply vinegar.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Jul 21, 2016, 4:55:49 PM7/21/16
On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 5:04:24 PM UTC-7, MOP CAP wrote:
> What is the best way to rust new cast iron?

Nobody has asked "what cast iron?"

If it's a frying pan, it's already got a heavily-oxidized surface which
is fairly impervious to ordinary stuff unless it's removed abrasively.

Clean cast iron rusts just by thinking about it.

UNIFORM 'rust' is hard to obtain by any means except heat-treating, which
usually gives a black oxide layer, not 'rust' colored.

If you only want _a_ color... try a gun blue treatment (on freshly-
cleaned and never-touched metal). If you want 'red rust' for some yard
ornament or such, you're pretty much on your own.

LLoyd

Lloyd

bruce2...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2016, 6:20:00 PM7/21/16
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

>> On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 5:04:24 PM UTC-7, MOP CAP wrote:
>> What is the best way to rust new cast iron?
>
> Nobody has asked "what cast iron?"

Who cares? This place is a good distance from college. Just get a car mechanic to chew it up into filings and put it in salt water, right?

Artemus

Jul 22, 2016, 6:25:15 PM7/22/16