Army issue 1942 model HK Smith-Drum Extension-Gap lathe with owner/parts manual

K. Smith

Apr 26, 2015, 5:18:04 PM4/26/15
My boss had it in a storage shed. He was sold a small import lathe by a
machinery company. The salesman told him you couldn't get parts or a belt
for the old Smith-Drum. Anyway, I had vacations days that needed cashed in
or loose them, so I gave my boss 4 vacation days for the entire lathe.
He purchased it at an army surplus auction in 1977 and then painted it
grey. It has the 28" face plate, 12" face plate, taper attachment, tail
stock, steady rest, follow rest, complete collet set up, 3 jaw and 4 jaw
chucks, misc. tooling and holders, etc. and the OWNERS MANUEL/PARTS
MANUAL.
It was complete and running 2 years ago in there shop when they purchased
the small lathe. We are in the process of restoring it. We will repaint it
the correct green, shine up all the brass on it and put it to use soon.
According to the book, it is a 14/36, 28/54 Extension Gap engine lathe.
Model HK.
[IMG]http://www.polytechforum.com/img/49[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.polytechforum.com/img/4a[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.polytechforum.com/img/4b[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.polytechforum.com/img/4c[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.polytechforum.com/img/4d[/IMG]

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalworking/army-issue-1942-model-hk-smith-drum-extension-gap-lathe-wit-613583-.htm

Ignoramus20725

Apr 27, 2015, 12:54:07 AM4/27/15
Looks great, belts are easy to make.

jon_banquer

Apr 27, 2015, 1:09:08 AM4/27/15
When you finish rebuilding it I wouldn't mind seeing the pictures.