OT-Tablet computers rant and rave

et...@whidbey.com

Apr 29, 2016, 1:22:20 PM4/29/16
Rant and rave on.
A few years ago my wife bought me an iPad. At first I wasn't too
impressed with it but after using it for awhile I came to love it.
Then I updated it. Big mistake. My wife updated hers too and same
thing. It just gets slower and slower. Apple forums are no help
getting the thing to be as near as fast as it once was. It is the OS
that is slowing it up. And it just gets slower and slower. And it
keeps crashing. The guy at the apple store told us the only hope is to
spend 600 bucks on a new iPad. So then I buy this 50 dollar Fire
tablet from Amazon and it works way better than my Ipad. Then I buy my
wife the 8 inch one, just to play with, for 180 bucks. She likes it.
So I am going to get us both the 10 inch models. One thing about the
Fire that I REALLY like is the micro SD card slot and the way the
tablet uses this extra memory. I downloaded some stuff to watch on the
ferry and the tablet automatically saved it to the SD card. Such a
good idea not to mess with the native memory in the tablet. I'm sure
other tablets make just as much sense. The upshot of all this is that
I say FUCK Apple and the way they do business. I know it makes them
loads of money but their customer service sucks and I really hate the
idea of being forced to buy a new tablet every two or three years for
more and more money because Apple software updates ruin the tablet in
hand. Sorry about the strong language, but it had to be said.
Rant and rave off.
Eric

John Doe

Apr 29, 2016, 2:02:47 PM4/29/16
I don't know about Amazon's Fire OS, but one of the main benefits of
Android OS to me as a power PC user is that it easily shares files with
PCs. I had an iPhone 3G, that was a PITA for using with my PC.

Apple is good for people with money and no interest in figuring computer
things out for themselves.

I recently bought a Motorola Moto E. Amazingly functional ultraportable
PC for $40. It senses movement, includes GPS hardware (so it can be used
as a stand-alone GPS unit with a 4 1/2 inch screen, no Internet
required), includes a 5 megapixel camera, includes a microphone,
includes Wi-Fi (for easy access to all of Google's apps), includes a 4G
phone connection (no subscription, for emergency calls only at no cost),
easily connects to my PC for managing files, includes an SD card up to
64 GB, and of course it plays audio and video files.

I needed another emergency phone and stumbled across that for $40,
which was a no-brainer.

Larry Jaques

Apr 30, 2016, 1:46:35 AM4/30/16
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 10:26:04 -0700, et...@whidbey.com wrote:

>Rant and rave on.
>A few years ago my wife bought me an iPad. At first I wasn't too
>impressed with it but after using it for awhile I came to love it.
>Then I updated it. Big mistake. My wife updated hers too and same
>thing. It just gets slower and slower. Apple forums are no help
>getting the thing to be as near as fast as it once was. It is the OS
>that is slowing it up. And it just gets slower and slower. And it
>keeps crashing. The guy at the apple store told us the only hope is to
>spend 600 bucks on a new iPad. So then I buy this 50 dollar Fire
>tablet from Amazon and it works way better than my Ipad. Then I buy my
>wife the 8 inch one, just to play with, for 180 bucks. She likes it.
>So I am going to get us both the 10 inch models. One thing about the
>Fire that I REALLY like is the micro SD card slot and the way the
>tablet uses this extra memory. I downloaded some stuff to watch on the
>ferry and the tablet automatically saved it to the SD card. Such a
>good idea not to mess with the native memory in the tablet. I'm sure
>other tablets make just as much sense. The upshot of all this is that
>I say FUCK Apple and the way they do business. I know it makes them

+1

>loads of money but their customer service sucks and I really hate the
>idea of being forced to buy a new tablet every two or three years for
>more and more money because Apple software updates ruin the tablet in
>hand. Sorry about the strong language, but it had to be said.
>Rant and rave off.
>Eric

I, too, recently bought a 5th gen 7" Fire ($39.95 + $15 to lose the
ads - a surprise $5 rebate = $50) and like it. The only downside is
the battery life. After stupidly tossing my phone onto my bed, where
it collided with the screen of my dearest 2nd gen Kindle keyboard and
broke the screen. They're not replaceable/available, so I bought
another used one for $23, delivered. The battery lasts all week, and
I read for hours and hours each day.

Another rant I have is about Mozilla Firefox. I was so utterly fond
of Netscape Navigator 4.5 that the current GIGABYTE hogging bitch they
call Firefox _FORTY SIX!_ (v45 was released the day before yesterday)
is simply agonizing to use any more. GIGAbloat, bugs, etc.
Ayieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

--
EAT RIGHT, KEEP FIT, DIE ANYWAY.
--anon

Aw, Hell. Gimme CHOCOLATE!
--LJ

Terry Coombs

Apr 30, 2016, 7:01:57 AM4/30/16
Larry Jaques wrote:

> Another rant I have is about Mozilla Firefox. I was so utterly fond
> of Netscape Navigator 4.5 that the current GIGABYTE hogging bitch they
> call Firefox _FORTY SIX!_ (v45 was released the day before yesterday)
> is simply agonizing to use any more. GIGAbloat, bugs, etc.
> Ayieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Want a link to the older versions of FF ? I just installed 38.0.1 on a
laptop ...

--
Snag

John B.

Apr 30, 2016, 9:55:06 AM4/30/16
There are a bunch of F.F look alike's that are much friendlier. I'm
using FossaMail which seems much the same as one of the older F.F.'s.
I've been using it for about a year and so far not a single "update"
:-)
--

Cheers,

John B.

Jon Anderson

Apr 30, 2016, 10:39:02 AM4/30/16
On 30/04/2016 3:26 AM, et...@whidbey.com wrote:

> I say FUCK Apple and the way they do business. I know it makes them
> loads of money but their customer service sucks and I really hate the
> idea of being forced to buy a new tablet every two or three years for
> more and more money because Apple software updates ruin the tablet in
> hand. Sorry about the strong language, but it had to be said.
> Rant and rave off.
> Eric

My biggest beef with Apple is having to use iTunes to move anything into
or out of, my phone. Have a bunch of engineering apps I use at work.
When my contract is up, will be looking to see what apps are available
on other platforms.

Jon

---

et...@whidbey.com

Apr 30, 2016, 11:54:10 AM4/30/16
As a friend of mine says "iTunes IS a virus".
Eric

Joe Gwinn

Apr 30, 2016, 12:19:27 PM4/30/16
In article <7s3Vy.16841$hT3....@fx12.iad>, Jon Anderson
<jande...@janders.info> wrote:

> On 30/04/2016 3:26 AM, et...@whidbey.com wrote:
>
> > I say FUCK Apple and the way they do business. I know it makes them
> > loads of money but their customer service sucks and I really hate the
> > idea of being forced to buy a new tablet every two or three years for
> > more and more money because Apple software updates ruin the tablet in
> > hand. Sorry about the strong language, but it had to be said.
> > Rant and rave off.
> > Eric
>

> My biggest beef with Apple is having to use iTunes to move anything into
> or out of, my phone. Have a bunch of engineering apps I use at work.
> When my contract is up, will be looking to see what apps are available
> on other platforms.

There is an app for that: iExplorer.
<https://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/?gclid=CI7Bs-jhtswCFVhahgodPuMLRg>

Joe Gwinn

Jon Anderson

Apr 30, 2016, 3:50:32 PM4/30/16
On 1/05/2016 1:57 AM, et...@whidbey.com wrote:

> As a friend of mine says "iTunes IS a virus".

That's why I carry my music on a cheapo $20 MP3 player...
Figure I'm going to have to switch sooner or later. Next phone won't be
an Apple, that's for sure. I want a phone with apps useful to me, with
good battery life, and treated by my PC as an external memory device
rather than something proprietary. Only got started on Apple as my wife
gave me a 4C, and I upgraded to a 5S. That's the end of the Apple road
for me.

Jon Anderson

Apr 30, 2016, 3:58:40 PM4/30/16
On 1/05/2016 2:19 AM, Joe Gwinn wrote:

> There is an app for that: iExplorer.
> <https://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/?gclid=CI7Bs-jhtswCFVhahgodPuMLRg>

Bought that, and tried it first with my iPod. Despite being registered
with iTunes, iexplorer wouldn't recognize it, haven't screwed around
with it since.

Larry Jaques

Apr 30, 2016, 5:39:43 PM4/30/16
On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 06:01:56 -0500, "Terry Coombs" <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:
No, I want to go back to the days when a 4mb program could handle this
shit without a hint of trouble, and do it swiftly, know what I mean?
Those older programs could handle Flash, pics, PDFs, and movies. What
the hell takes almost a bloody gigabyte now?

Larry Jaques

Apr 30, 2016, 5:40:55 PM4/30/16
On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 08:57:23 -0700, et...@whidbey.com wrote:

>On Sun, 1 May 2016 00:38:57 +1000, Jon Anderson
><jande...@janders.info> wrote:
>
>>On 30/04/2016 3:26 AM, et...@whidbey.com wrote:
>>
>>> I say FUCK Apple and the way they do business. I know it makes them
>>> loads of money but their customer service sucks and I really hate the
>>> idea of being forced to buy a new tablet every two or three years for
>>> more and more money because Apple software updates ruin the tablet in
>>> hand. Sorry about the strong language, but it had to be said.
>>> Rant and rave off.
>>> Eric
>>

>>My biggest beef with Apple is having to use iTunes to move anything into
>>or out of, my phone. Have a bunch of engineering apps I use at work.
>>When my contract is up, will be looking to see what apps are available
>>on other platforms.
>

>As a friend of mine says "iTunes IS a virus".

Kinda like Norton Antivirus and Windows Internet Exploder?

Gunner Asch

May 1, 2016, 2:40:32 PM5/1/16
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 10:26:04 -0700, et...@whidbey.com wrote:

Welcome to the real reason Apples stocks are losing value.

At one time, they were the Frontrunners of the industry..but since
Gates passed...they really havent brought much to the table.
I bought my wife a 12" no name tablet at a computer discount store
that blows away every Apple Ive seen. Cost me $99

Gunner

Gunner Asch

May 1, 2016, 2:43:32 PM5/1/16
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 22:46:52 -0700, Larry Jaques
<lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

https://www.palemoon.org/

Works great, less filling

Gunner

pyotr filipivich

May 1, 2016, 3:59:09 PM5/1/16
Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com> on Sun, 01 May 2016 11:36:39 -0700
I've an older model ipod Touch, which I sync with Media Monkey.
About a week ago, I had problems with sync. As in it was taking
longer to sync tracks than to play them, before executing HEIL (Halt
and Execute Infinite Loop). Plus other annoyances. End result:
remove MediaMonkey, _All_ Apple related SW, reinstall MM, Itunes, then
DFU (Device Firmware Update - but "Dey Fuked Up" makes as much sense),
update Itunes, update the pod's software (good thing I had a second
computer - Apple is notorious for failing to communicate). Now it
works
But no more updates of Media Monkey.

--
pyotr
Job creation and destruction are both relentless.

pyotr filipivich

May 1, 2016, 3:59:10 PM5/1/16
Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com> on Sun, 01 May 2016 11:39:40 -0700

>>Another rant I have is about Mozilla Firefox. I was so utterly fond
>>of Netscape Navigator 4.5 that the current GIGABYTE hogging bitch they
>>call Firefox _FORTY SIX!_ (v45 was released the day before yesterday)
>>is simply agonizing to use any more. GIGAbloat, bugs, etc.
>>Ayieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
>
>https://www.palemoon.org/
>
>Works great, less filling

I'll second the recommendation.

>Gunner

Joe Gwinn

May 1, 2016, 5:57:23 PM5/1/16
In article <N78Vy.54883$Bn7....@fx26.iad>, Jon Anderson
<jande...@janders.info> wrote:

> On 1/05/2016 2:19 AM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
>
> > There is an app for that: iExplorer.
> > <https://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/?gclid=CI7Bs-jhtswCFVhahgodPuMLRg>
>
> Bought that, and tried it first with my iPod. Despite being registered
> with iTunes, iexplorer wouldn't recognize it, haven't screwed around
> with it since.

I had no such problem. May be time to dig a little deeper.

Failing that, there are other non-Apple offerings.

Joe Gwinn

Larry Jaques

May 1, 2016, 10:25:27 PM5/1/16
On Sun, 01 May 2016 11:39:40 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
Safe? I killed Chrome because it was doing downloads in the
background all the time, killing my performance. BTW, I had
auto-update and such turned OFF but it turned out to be some sort of
weirdass computer sharing it was doing. I didn't like that shit at
all!

Downloading it to try now, thanks.

--
Education is that which remains when one has
forgotten everything he learned in school.

azotic

May 1, 2016, 10:55:33 PM5/1/16

http://fija.org/
"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message

> BTW, I had
> auto-update and such turned OFF but it turned out to be some sort of
> weirdass computer sharing it was doing. I didn't like that shit at all!
>
> -

Just skynet doing it's job.

Best Regards
Tom.

Gunner Asch

May 2, 2016, 2:18:15 AM5/2/16
On Sun, 01 May 2016 19:25:26 -0700, Larry Jaques
<lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 May 2016 11:39:40 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 22:46:52 -0700, Larry Jaques
>><lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:
>>>Another rant I have is about Mozilla Firefox. I was so utterly fond
>>>of Netscape Navigator 4.5 that the current GIGABYTE hogging bitch they
>>>call Firefox _FORTY SIX!_ (v45 was released the day before yesterday)
>>>is simply agonizing to use any more. GIGAbloat, bugs, etc.
>>>Ayieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
>>
>>https://www.palemoon.org/
>>
>>Works great, less filling
>
>Safe? I killed Chrome because it was doing downloads in the
>background all the time, killing my performance. BTW, I had
>auto-update and such turned OFF but it turned out to be some sort of
>weirdass computer sharing it was doing. I didn't like that shit at
>all!
>
>Downloading it to try now, thanks.

Let us know how you like it. And check the plug ins..lots of them able
to kill bad behavior that may crop up

Buzz Forward

May 2, 2016, 11:15:02 AM5/2/16
LOL! Wrong company and wrong person, you fuckwit. Bill Gates, founder
of *Microsoft*, not Apple, is still living.

Larry Jaques

May 2, 2016, 10:46:02 PM5/2/16
On Sun, 01 May 2016 23:14:23 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 01 May 2016 19:25:26 -0700, Larry Jaques
><lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 01 May 2016 11:39:40 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>https://www.palemoon.org/
>>>
>>>Works great, less filling
>>
>>Safe? I killed Chrome because it was doing downloads in the
>>background all the time, killing my performance. BTW, I had
>>auto-update and such turned OFF but it turned out to be some sort of
>>weirdass computer sharing it was doing. I didn't like that shit at
>>all!
>>
>>Downloading it to try now, thanks.
>
>Let us know how you like it. And check the plug ins..lots of them able
>to kill bad behavior that may crop up

'Twas a quick download, but the version of Adblocker didn't download.
Something about permissions, which is odd. That's a biggie.

I'll try again next weekend, or maybe on Wednesday, during the
thunderstorm. No work then. <g>