Linkage research

unk

Oct 11, 2017, 9:02:35 AM10/11/17
I have thought up a linkage than does straight-line motion.

It's not (as far as I can tell) like any of the examples on the net.

Are there others/other places to look as this one must have been thunk up
before.

Jim Wilkins

Oct 11, 2017, 9:37:57 AM10/11/17
"unk" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_line_mechanism

Ed Huntress

Oct 11, 2017, 10:05:10 AM10/11/17
That can cover a lot of territory. Besides the classical linkages
described in Jim's link, and a limited Watt's linkage, there is the
rhombic drive, used in advanced Stirling engines, and the linkage used
in the original Atkinson-cycle engine patents.

But the definition of a straight-line linkage can get a little fuzzy,
depending on who'se doing the defining. It basic terms, a conventional
crank, driving a piston in a constraining cylinder through a
connecting rod, produces "straight-line motion."

There also are a couple of books, the titles of which I can't
remember, that describe all kinds of new and old mechanisms. I recall
that quite a few of them were mechanisms used by designers of
production machinery, which tends to have a lot of rotary-to-linear
motion requirements.

--
Ed Huntress

Leon Fisk

Oct 11, 2017, 10:05:17 AM10/11/17
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 13:02:29 +0000 (UTC)
Have you looked at the old books via archive.com? Like:

https://archive.org/details/fivehundredseven00browiala

or maybe:

https://africastopover.com/user-groups/1800-mechanical-movements-devices-and-appliances-by-gardner-dexter-hiscox-down/

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

dpb

Oct 11, 2017, 4:22:55 PM10/11/17
Undoubtedly you'll find it or a close variant in one of Leonardo's
sketchbooks... :)

Trumble

Oct 12, 2017, 12:30:14 AM10/12/17
Have a browse through this book and see if its in there:

Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices Sourcebook.

<http://160592857366.free.fr/joe/ebooks/Mechanical%20Engineering%20Books%20Collection/THEORY%20OF%20MACHINES/MECHANISMS%20AND%20MECHANICAL%20DEVICES%204e.pdf>

DoN. Nichols

Oct 12, 2017, 10:04:06 PM10/12/17
Try _Ingenious Mechanisms for designers and inventors_, a
four-volume set edited by Franklin D. Jones, published by Industrial
Press, Inc. While the volumes which I have are perhaps ten years old or
so, but has a copyright date of 1930 for Volume I.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: <BPdnic...@d-and-d.com> | (KV4PH) Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Larry Jaques

Oct 19, 2017, 12:04:54 PM10/19/17
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 10:05:14 -0400, Leon Fisk
<lf...@no.spam.iserv.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 13:02:29 +0000 (UTC)
>unk <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>I have thought up a linkage than does straight-line motion.
>>
>>It's not (as far as I can tell) like any of the examples on the net.
>>
>>Are there others/other places to look as this one must have been thunk up
>>before.
>
>Have you looked at the old books via archive.com? Like:
>
>https://archive.org/details/fivehundredseven00browiala
>
>or maybe:
>
>https://africastopover.com/user-groups/1800-mechanical-movements-devices-and-appliances-by-gardner-dexter-hiscox-down/

404 error, sadly. Here's a google link to it:
http://tinyurl.com/yadb9az8

I was about to suggest both of those, Leon.

They're great to relax with, spending a rain/snow day inside.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.

Larry Jaques

Oct 19, 2017, 12:16:50 PM10/19/17
On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 09:04:53 -0700, Larry Jaques
<lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 10:05:14 -0400, Leon Fisk
><lf...@no.spam.iserv.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 13:02:29 +0000 (UTC)
>>unk <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I have thought up a linkage than does straight-line motion.
>>>
>>>It's not (as far as I can tell) like any of the examples on the net.
>>>
>>>Are there others/other places to look as this one must have been thunk up
>>>before.
>>
>>Have you looked at the old books via archive.com? Like:
>>
>>https://archive.org/details/fivehundredseven00browiala
>>
>>or maybe:
>>
>>https://africastopover.com/user-groups/1800-mechanical-movements-devices-and-appliances-by-gardner-dexter-hiscox-down/
>
>404 error, sadly. Here's a google link to it:
>http://tinyurl.com/yadb9az8

Oops, that one resolved to elephant-ads. Do not go there.
http://tinyurl.com/y8w929tm kindle version @ the Amazone.