OT: Digitizing Tablet

Bob La Londe

Nov 14, 2017, 6:17:57 PM11/14/17
Anybody get the inside scoop on a poor man's digitizing tablet?

I could get by with a smallish one, by adding indexing marks and combining
files, but a bigger one would be better. Ideally 36", but a 24" or even a
12" could be made to work. I don't need one often, so I hate to pony up
$3-5K for one, but it would sure be handy sometimes.

Clare Snyder

Nov 15, 2017, 8:31:13 PM11/15/17
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 16:17:52 -0700, "Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99>
wrote:
I'd have gladly given you my Kurda for the cost of shipping but I
threw it out about 2 years ago. 12X12 or 18X18 -can't remember.

Gunner Asch

Nov 16, 2017, 5:12:50 AM11/16/17
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 20:31:08 -0500, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=digitizing+tablet&_sop=15

Some Kurdas for well under $100, along with SummaGraphics, HP and
others

---

Leon Fisk

Nov 16, 2017, 8:29:11 AM11/16/17
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 16:17:52 -0700
"Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99> wrote:

I'm just curious as to what you're intending to do with one. I kept mum
because I wasn't sure if the current suggestions were what I was
thinking of or not. I always thought of these as useful tools for
artists to create digital images.

I'm not much of an artist. I go the flatbed scanner and digital photo
route to copy and create stuff...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Bob La Londe

Nov 16, 2017, 1:36:46 PM11/16/17
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news:ouk3r2$mvk$1...@dont-email.me...
**********

I sometimes have people want me to duplicate damaged templates. Things like
control panels in boats, etc. Its not really a major part of my work or
even work I go after because its kind of tedious, but I don't turn away
local guys I know because I know most regular fab shops and machine shops
will either turn them away or price it so high its not worth it. even if a
shop accepts one of these jobs it often gets put off and put off and put off
until the customer is blue with frustration.

Often the reason is controls, and displays have been eliminated or changed
due to advances in technology or changes in setup. Other times a plastic
panel broke from age brittleness and the person wants it replaced with a
metal one. If its nice and geometric its no big deal. I just measure it,
but often its organic, and the original looks like it was hand fit and hand
made... with organic curves. Even in some very high end brand applications.
Sometimes I do the same thing, but I prefer to give them back a panel that
is made BETTER than the broke or or disfunctional one they brought me.

Because these panels tend to be quite thin its hard to use tools like
Probe-It to measure them.

I have a couple tricks I use now when I can't easily just measure a part.
One is to get a rough outline using CAD and a scanner image. Sometimes a
pieced together scanner image because the part is larger than my scanner.
Then I just have to create some cleaner looking splines that match the
overall outline, screw holes, and cutouts. I subtract those no longer used
and add those that will need to be added and cut it out. The machining part
is quite fast usually. Even the setup on parts like this usually isn't to
bad. It’s the initial rough CAD outlines that is a killer.

I know the response from some is that I am whoring out my services, but I
really am not. Most of these jobs are for guys I know personally. I do not
seek them out, and I do them on machines that aren't usually used on my
primary money making jobs. It’s a sort of giving back to the community that
feeds me.

Leon Fisk

Nov 16, 2017, 2:55:47 PM11/16/17
On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 11:36:41 -0700
"Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99> wrote:

<snip>
>I have a couple tricks I use now when I can't easily just measure a part.
>One is to get a rough outline using CAD and a scanner image. Sometimes a
>pieced together scanner image because the part is larger than my scanner.
>Then I just have to create some cleaner looking splines that match the
>overall outline, screw holes, and cutouts. I subtract those no longer used
>and add those that will need to be added and cut it out. The machining part
>is quite fast usually. Even the setup on parts like this usually isn't to
>bad. It’s the initial rough CAD outlines that is a killer.

I don't have any good CAD software. Just some weak 2D stuff that I've
fooled with. Big problem is a weak, old computer and running Linux. A
lot of the programs are windows only. And it isn't something I have a
use for other than doodling :)

But... what I have done in the past is to scan something and then use
it as a template underneath via stretching and/or setting the dpi to
match reality. Doing the latter can be a big help in using photos taken
with a camera or phone. You know some of the dimensions from hard
measurements of the original. Then using an image program you can figure
out how many pixels it is (ie 11 inches you measured equals 1980
pixels). So, edit the image properties to show the proper value, 180
dpi. I still use Irfanview for a lot of my simple raster editing via
wine.

There are programs that can convert raster to vector too. Sometimes
this can work really well. Simple high contrast images usually work
okay.

I've messed around with some Photoshop type filters too, that can
greatly simplify an image. I haven't updated it in a long time but
G'mic had some interesting filters for GIMP and a stand alone that I
haven't messed with:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/gmic/discuss/

Something like their tutorial on "How to turn a photo into
a realistic handmade sketch" might be helpful (shrug):

https://www.flickr.com/groups/gmic/discuss/72157624446298923/

I suspected this was what you were doing. Maybe a few others will
throw out some ideas for you. I've done a lot of messing around
with raster images but not so much vector, other than mapping stuff...

Clare Snyder

Nov 16, 2017, 8:55:04 PM11/16/17
The Kurda was used pretty extensively by draftsmen, architects,and
civil engineers using Autocad. Got rid of mine because it was no
longer supported by current software and hardware - no serial port,
for one.

Clare Snyder

Nov 16, 2017, 8:58:36 PM11/16/17
On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 11:36:41 -0700, "Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99>
It might be too big for your scanner - but NOTHING is too big for a
good camera.

DoN. Nichols

Nov 16, 2017, 10:12:48 PM11/16/17
On 2017-11-16, Leon Fisk <lf...@no.spam.iserv.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 11:36:41 -0700
> "Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99> wrote:
>
><snip>
>>I have a couple tricks I use now when I can't easily just measure a part.
>>One is to get a rough outline using CAD and a scanner image. Sometimes a
>>pieced together scanner image because the part is larger than my scanner.
>>Then I just have to create some cleaner looking splines that match the
>>overall outline, screw holes, and cutouts. I subtract those no longer used
>>and add those that will need to be added and cut it out. The machining part
>>is quite fast usually. Even the setup on parts like this usually isn't to
>>bad. It?s the initial rough CAD outlines that is a killer.
>
> I don't have any good CAD software. Just some weak 2D stuff that I've
> fooled with. Big problem is a weak, old computer and running Linux. A
> lot of the programs are windows only. And it isn't something I have a
> use for other than doodling :)

O.K. How old a linux? Recent ubuntu linux variants (e.g.
Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS) have librecad (was QCAD), and it is a pretty good 2D
CAD program, and may do what you need.

Import the scanned image as a single layer, use the points
indicated by it to draw lines between them on another layer, and then
hide the layer with the scanned image.

> But... what I have done in the past is to scan something and then use
> it as a template underneath via stretching and/or setting the dpi to
> match reality. Doing the latter can be a big help in using photos taken
> with a camera or phone. You know some of the dimensions from hard
> measurements of the original. Then using an image program you can figure
> out how many pixels it is (ie 11 inches you measured equals 1980
> pixels). So, edit the image properties to show the proper value, 180
> dpi. I still use Irfanview for a lot of my simple raster editing via
> wine.

While I tend to use XV for most work with photos, and xfig for
simple drawing.

> There are programs that can convert raster to vector too. Sometimes
> this can work really well. Simple high contrast images usually work
> okay.

Use the edge detector algorithms in "the GIMP" to get rid of the
varying levels of gray and select the sudden changes in level.

> I've messed around with some Photoshop type filters too, that can
> greatly simplify an image. I haven't updated it in a long time but
> G'mic had some interesting filters for GIMP and a stand alone that I
> haven't messed with:
>
> https://www.flickr.com/groups/gmic/discuss/
>
> Something like their tutorial on "How to turn a photo into
> a realistic handmade sketch" might be helpful (shrug):
>
> https://www.flickr.com/groups/gmic/discuss/72157624446298923/
>
> I suspected this was what you were doing. Maybe a few others will
> throw out some ideas for you. I've done a lot of messing around
> with raster images but not so much vector, other than mapping stuff...

vector works well for some things.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: <BPdnic...@d-and-d.com> | (KV4PH) Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Larry Jaques

Nov 16, 2017, 11:16:38 PM11/16/17
On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 20:55:01 -0500, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:
I still have my 6x9 Wacom ArtZ sitting on the shelf. It, too, is no
longer supported by Windows. I used it extensively with PhotoShop for
graphic design (and photo manipulation) and a little bit with Corel
Draw, IIRC.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her

Leon Fisk

Nov 17, 2017, 3:33:39 PM11/17/17
On 17 Nov 2017 03:12:13 GMT
"DoN. Nichols" <BPdnic...@d-and-d.com> wrote:

<big snip>
>O.K. How old a linux? Recent ubuntu linux variants (e.g.
>Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS) have librecad (was QCAD), and it is a pretty good 2D
>CAD program, and may do what you need.
>
> Import the scanned image as a single layer, use the points
>indicated by it to draw lines between them on another layer, and then
>hide the layer with the scanned image.

Really old, Lucid 10.04. Pretty disheartened with Ubuntu. They never
fix the gnarly problems, just move on to the next release. Then the
newer release doesn't work well with your older hardware, so sorry...

I'll fight with it again someday when I bite on a newer computer. It
will probably be some other Debian variant though.

I've got the older version of QCAD. Never could get it to do anything
useful. Had much better luck running an old version of CADSTD via
wine.

I've got Gimp, Mtpaint, Fotoxx, Xnview, Irfanview, Image
Analyzer, ImageJ, Xfig... plus a few other oddballs ;-)

I do appreciate your thoughts on the manner though. You always bring
good info to the discussion.

In looking at my graphics list I did spot something that Bob may
find of interest though. I have a LEGO program. For creating stuff on
the computer that can be built latter from a parts list. LEGO has their
own application too. This one is called MLCad:

http://mlcad.lm-software.com/e_main.htm

It was fun to mess around with. Might make for some interesting
prototyping :) Looks like it hasn't been updated lately though. Windows
app, had to run via wine. Made for so-so performance on my old single
core P4.

DoN. Nichols

Nov 17, 2017, 10:15:22 PM11/17/17
On 2017-11-17, Leon Fisk <lf...@no.spam.iserv.net> wrote:
> On 17 Nov 2017 03:12:13 GMT
> "DoN. Nichols" <BPdnic...@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>
><big snip>
>>O.K. How old a linux? Recent ubuntu linux variants (e.g.
>>Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS) have librecad (was QCAD), and it is a pretty good 2D
>>CAD program, and may do what you need.
>>
>> Import the scanned image as a single layer, use the points
>>indicated by it to draw lines between them on another layer, and then
>>hide the layer with the scanned image.
>
> Really old, Lucid 10.04. Pretty disheartened with Ubuntu. They never
> fix the gnarly problems, just move on to the next release. Then the
> newer release doesn't work well with your older hardware, so sorry...

O.K. That can be a problem. I'm using it on an HP laptop made
for the business world, and now refurbished. When I got it, it had a
virus which I immediately removed (named "Windows 10". :-)

> I'll fight with it again someday when I bite on a newer computer. It
> will probably be some other Debian variant though.
>
> I've got the older version of QCAD. Never could get it to do anything
> useful. Had much better luck running an old version of CADSTD via
> wine.

I had a bit of problem learning to use QCAD, but later I picked
up a PDF file of a nice guide to using LibreCAD and suddenly things got
a lot easier. And it became a lot easier to learn than the other open
source and free CAD programs which I have tried. I don't really trust
Window enough to run Wine on something while connected to the internet.

> I've got Gimp, Mtpaint, Fotoxx, Xnview, Irfanview, Image
> Analyzer, ImageJ, Xfig... plus a few other oddballs ;-)

O.K. An interesting collection -- some of which I know and some
of which I do not.

One intersting thing in the public domain is brlcad -- but it is
not a design type CAD. It is more useful for handling weird data
structures, including the image format used in medical X-rays. If
you've gotten X-rays or CT-scans and gotten a DVD-ROM of the results
(which usually comes with a Windows program for viewing) and want to
view on a unix or linux system, you can view it using that package.

The "brl" of "brlcad" is the Army "Ballistics Research Lab".

> I do appreciate your thoughts on the manner though. You always bring
> good info to the discussion.

Thank you. I try to do that -- and to avoid getting into the
troll operated discussions. :-)

> In looking at my graphics list I did spot something that Bob may
> find of interest though. I have a LEGO program. For creating stuff on
> the computer that can be built latter from a parts list. LEGO has their
> own application too. This one is called MLCad:
>
> http://mlcad.lm-software.com/e_main.htm

Intersting -- but Windows only, apparently.

> It was fun to mess around with. Might make for some interesting
> prototyping :) Looks like it hasn't been updated lately though. Windows
> app, had to run via wine. Made for so-so performance on my old single
> core P4.

Understood. And out of the question on my Solaris 10 UltraSPARC
systems. :-)

Leon Fisk

Nov 18, 2017, 7:39:40 AM11/18/17
On 18 Nov 2017 03:13:46 GMT
"DoN. Nichols" <BPdnic...@d-and-d.com> wrote:

<snip>
> One intersting thing in the public domain is brlcad -- but it is
>not a design type CAD. It is more useful for handling weird data
>structures, including the image format used in medical X-rays. If
>you've gotten X-rays or CT-scans and gotten a DVD-ROM of the results
>(which usually comes with a Windows program for viewing) and want to
>view on a unix or linux system, you can view it using that package.
>
> The "brl" of "brlcad" is the Army "Ballistics Research Lab".

I looked into it a long time ago. Interesting program but I decided not
to go any farther with it...

You might want to check out ImageJ if you haven't already. It is Java
based, so should run on most anything with a good Java engine. It is
aimed at medical and scientific pursuits. Has a lot of plugins for
weird stuff in those areas. I would be surprised if it couldn't
work with your CT-scan images somehow...

http://imagej.net/docs/index.html

Neon John

Nov 18, 2017, 11:29:33 AM11/18/17
On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 16:33:37 -0400, Leon Fisk
<lf...@no.spam.iserv.net> wrote:

>Really old, Lucid 10.04. Pretty disheartened with Ubuntu. They never
>fix the gnarly problems, just move on to the next release. Then the
>newer release doesn't work well with your older hardware, so sorry...

For instance? I changed over to Ubuntu around 10 years ago. Then
switched to MATE last year to get away from Unity. Currently running
on a 5 or 6 year computer. No problems.

>I'll fight with it again someday when I bite on a newer computer. It
>will probably be some other Debian variant though.

Given the cheap prices of refurbed computers, there's absolutely no
sense in staying with old hardware. For instance, I recently bought a
refurbed Dell business (Inspiron?) computer. Fresh off-lease and with
a new battery it cost just over $100. I got it on Amazon.

>I've got the older version of QCAD. Never could get it to do anything
>useful. Had much better luck running an old version of CADSTD via
>wine.

QCAD is my company's standard 2D CAD software. A bit of a learning
curve but after that, very capable.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Gunner Asch

Nov 19, 2017, 8:35:32 AM11/19/17
On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 11:36:41 -0700, "Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99>
Whoring out? A task is a task, no matter if its a jet plane part..or
a Chis-Craft part.

Btw...a digital camera used to take a photo of the part laid over a
piece(s) of graph paper works quite well for bigger parts

Bob La Londe

Nov 19, 2017, 4:00:41 PM11/19/17

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
*** I actually do that sometimes for smaller parts, but distortion and
angle skew always seems to be an issue.

Gunner Asch

Nov 19, 2017, 5:33:23 PM11/19/17
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 14:00:34 -0700, "Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99>
Ive done it for parts as large as 10'x12" with little issue. One
simply needs to get above the part and use a "normal" sized lens or
lens setting. One of the few tricks Ive managed to teach my teacher.

(Man that dude is freaking sharp!!!)

You wont be getting accuracy down to small thousands..but for
duplicating machined labels and such...shrug

DoN. Nichols

Nov 19, 2017, 11:38:44 PM11/19/17
On 2017-11-18, Leon Fisk <lf...@no.spam.iserv.net> wrote:
> On 18 Nov 2017 03:13:46 GMT
> "DoN. Nichols" <BPdnic...@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>
><snip>
>> One intersting thing in the public domain is brlcad -- but it is
>>not a design type CAD. It is more useful for handling weird data
>>structures, including the image format used in medical X-rays. If
>>you've gotten X-rays or CT-scans and gotten a DVD-ROM of the results
>>(which usually comes with a Windows program for viewing) and want to
>>view on a unix or linux system, you can view it using that package.
>>
>> The "brl" of "brlcad" is the Army "Ballistics Research Lab".
>
> I looked into it a long time ago. Interesting program but I decided not
> to go any farther with it...

Not a trivial one to learn. :-)

> You might want to check out ImageJ if you haven't already. It is Java
> based, so should run on most anything with a good Java engine. It is
> aimed at medical and scientific pursuits. Has a lot of plugins for
> weird stuff in those areas. I would be surprised if it couldn't
> work with your CT-scan images somehow...
>
> http://imagej.net/docs/index.html

That looks interesting -- and since I am running on Sun hardware
(SB-2000) and software (Solaris-10), the java should be good, since it
came from Sun. :-)

Thanks,

Bob La Londe

Dec 2, 2017, 10:13:48 PM12/2/17
Well, for the latest project I said the heck with it and did it old
school. I slapped the old piece on a new piece of stock traced it out
with a pencil, and free hand cut it on the band saw. Then with the two
pieces clamped together I shot the screw mounting holes straight
through. I still have one cut out to do, but I'll probably freehand
that with a nibbler, and finish to the line with an oscillating drum
sander.

What finally decided me is the KMB1 has a 24" X-axis travel and this
piece is just over 25 inches long. If I had a bigger CNC router for
sheet goods (its on the wish list) I'd have probably use Probe-It to get
points to create splines and CAD/CAM/CNCed it. The KMB1 is pretty fast
at that, just not quite big enough. Yeah I could have keyed and
shifted, but then I thought, "Geez, Bob. If you had just free handed it
you would have been done two weeks ago."