Grupy dyskusyjne Google nie obsługują już nowych postów ani subskrypcji z Usenetu. Treści historyczne nadal będą dostępne.

Quantum radar will expose stealth aircraft

34 wyświetlenia

George

nieprzeczytany,
23 kwi 2018, 09:38:3723.04.2018
do
Quantum radar will expose stealth aircraft

Stealth aircraft in the Canadian arctic will be no match for a new quantum
radar system.

Researchers at the University of Waterloo are developing a new technology
that promises to help radar operators cut through heavy background noise and
isolate objects—including stealth aircraft and missiles—with unparalleled
accuracy.
"In the Arctic, space weather such as geomagnetic storms and solar flares
interfere with radar operation and make the effective identification of
objects more challenging," said Jonathan Baugh, a faculty member at the
Institute for Quantum Computing (IQC) and a professor in the Department of
Chemistry who is leading the project with three other researchers at IQC and
the Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology (WIN). "By moving from traditional
radar to quantum radar, we hope to not only cut through this noise, but also
to identify objects that have been specifically designed to avoid detection."
Stealth aircraft rely on special paint and body design to absorb and deflect
radio waves—making them invisible to traditional radar. They also use
electronic jamming to swamp detectors with artificial noise. With quantum
radar, in theory, these planes will not only be exposed, but also unaware
they have been detected.
Technology to improve national defence
Quantum radar uses a sensing technique called quantum illumination to detect
and receive information about an object. At its core, it leverages the
quantum principle of entanglement, where two photons form a connected, or
entangled, pair.
The method works by sending one of the photons to a distant object, while
retaining the other member of the pair. Photons in the return signal are
checked for telltale signatures of entanglement, allowing photons from the
noisy environmental background to be discarded. This can greatly improve the
radar signal-to-noise in certain situations.
But in order for quantum radar to work in the field, researchers first need
to realize a fast, on-demand source of entangled photons.
"The goal for our project is to create a robust source of entangled photons
that can be generated at the press of a button," said Baugh.
To date, quantum illumination has only been explored in the laboratory. The
Government of Canada, under the Department of National Defence's All Domain
Situational Awareness (ADSA) Science & Technology program, is investing $2.7
million to expedite its use in the field.
The 54 North Warning System (NWS) radar stations, based in the Arctic and
operated by the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), are nearing
the end of their life spans and could need to be replaced as early as 2025.
"This project will allow us to develop the technology to help move quantum
radar from the lab to the field," said Baugh. "It could change the way we
think about national security."

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-04-quantum-radar-expose-stealth-
aircraft.html#jCp

Chris M. Thomasson

nieprzeczytany,
24 kwi 2018, 01:17:4824.04.2018
do
Will taking off in an F16 soon be equal to taking off in an F22 wrt the
fact that they can both be seen!?

Juergen Nieveler

nieprzeczytany,
24 kwi 2018, 03:08:0524.04.2018
do
On 24.04.2018 07:17, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
> Will taking off in an F16 soon be equal to taking off in an F22 wrt the
> fact that they can both be seen!?

I doubt it will happen "soon"... but it's a stern reminder that stealth
technology is just a bet against the ingeniousness of physics grad
students in the next 5 decades...

At least the F-22 is also a superb plane on top of being stealthy, so it
could still fight on even terms with other fighters with the stealth
advantage removed. The F-35 is a different topic...

--
Juergen Nieveler

abelard

nieprzeczytany,
24 kwi 2018, 05:56:5224.04.2018
do
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 13:38:35 -0000 (UTC), George
<georg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Quantum radar will expose stealth aircraft
>
>Stealth aircraft in the Canadian arctic will be no match for a new quantum
>radar system.

walob...it's just as likely to detect flying pigs or unicorns

--
www.abelard.org

Clare Snyder

nieprzeczytany,
24 kwi 2018, 10:42:5324.04.2018
do
The University of Waterloo is literally just around the corner from
me, and is well knownfor spawning very successful startups from it's
research and development - so it depends on your definition of "soon".

I'd say 99.9% it will be less than 20 years. Better than 90% less than
10. In 5years? - less than 50%..

This is time to develop and commercialize.

Chris M. Thomasson

nieprzeczytany,
24 kwi 2018, 16:50:1724.04.2018
do
On 4/23/2018 11:17 PM, Juergen Nieveler wrote:
> On 24.04.2018 07:17, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
>> Will taking off in an F16 soon be equal to taking off in an F22 wrt
>> the fact that they can both be seen!?
>
> I doubt it will happen "soon"... but it's a stern reminder that stealth
> technology is just a bet against the ingeniousness of physics grad
> students in the next 5 decades...

That has to be interesting to any pilot. They might find themselves up
against a shi% load of active SAM sites. Ahh, well, the SAMS that are
left after the initial barrages of HARM's and JSOW's are fired off by
coalition aircraft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-88_HARM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-154_Joint_Standoff_Weapon

The HARMS should target the SAMS, and the JSOW's should make the SAMS
fire off at projected phantom targets.

JSOW saturation can deplete a SAM of missiles and might force it to be
reloaded. HARM saturation should destroy its radar systems.

However, perhaps "in the future", the damn enemy has an experimental
weapon that is "theoretically" immune to HARM and JSOW, and can easily
see and target F-22's. It can also tell the difference between F-16,
F-15, F-22 and F-35 in real time and act accordingly... Oh SHI%! The
coalition must be trying to prevent the enemy from engaging within this
line of experimentation.

> At least the F-22 is also a superb plane on top of being stealthy, so it
> could still fight on even terms with other fighters with the stealth
> advantage removed.

Agreed. At least it has that handy Vulcan Cannon for a knife fight.

Imvvho, the pilots of an F-22 should not totally rely on hyper advanced
missile attack scenarios. I know they can fire on targets from a long
range via Phoenix, or medium range using AMRAAM. However, even the
newest versions of those missiles can fail to hit their targets...

> The F-35 is a different topic...

Afaict, F-22's most likely can eat up F-35's for breakfast, lunch and
possibly dinner? Can the F-35 carry the newest Sidewinders? Does it
require an external pylon? If so, there goes stealth. Damn.

Btw, I forgot about mentioning hardcore AAA fire:

https://youtu.be/XNucO0IZ0EU

Shit!

Chris M. Thomasson

nieprzeczytany,
24 kwi 2018, 17:42:5424.04.2018
do
On 4/24/2018 1:50 PM, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
>  On 4/23/2018 11:17 PM, Juergen Nieveler wrote:
>> On 24.04.2018 07:17, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
>>> Will taking off in an F16 soon be equal to taking off in an F22 wrt
>>> the fact that they can both be seen!?
>>
>> I doubt it will happen "soon"... but it's a stern reminder that
>> stealth technology is just a bet against the ingeniousness of physics
>> grad students in the next 5 decades...
>
> That has to be interesting to any pilot. They might find themselves up
> against a shi% load of active SAM sites. Ahh, well, the SAMS that are
> left after the initial barrages of HARM's and JSOW's are fired off by
> coalition aircraft.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-88_HARM
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-154_Joint_Standoff_Weapon
>
> The HARMS should target the SAMS, and the JSOW's should make the SAMS
> fire off at projected phantom targets.

Love it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-154_Joint_Standoff_Weapon#/media/File:AGM-154_03.jpg

;^)

Chris M. Thomasson

nieprzeczytany,
24 kwi 2018, 17:52:2224.04.2018
do
On 4/24/2018 1:50 PM, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
>  On 4/23/2018 11:17 PM, Juergen Nieveler wrote:
>> On 24.04.2018 07:17, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
[...]
> Imvvho, the pilots of an F-22 should not totally rely on hyper advanced
> missile attack scenarios. I know they can fire on targets from a long
> range via Phoenix,

Ahh crap. Can a F-22 fire a Phoenix, or is it just the F-14?

Sorry.

> or medium range using AMRAAM. However, even the
> newest versions of those missiles can fail to hit their targets...
[...]

Chris M. Thomasson

nieprzeczytany,
24 cze 2018, 00:50:0524.06.2018
do
On 4/23/2018 10:17 PM, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
> On 4/23/2018 6:38 AM, George wrote:
>> Quantum radar will expose stealth aircraft

[...]
> Will taking off in an F16 soon be equal to taking off in an F22 wrt the
> fact that they can both be seen!?

Check this crap out:

https://youtu.be/ldFWBdVnuFU

Fractal like drone swarms?

Chris M. Thomasson

nieprzeczytany,
4 lip 2018, 02:05:174.07.2018
do
Fwiw, some decent video game footage:

https://youtu.be/jwK4oKIKrts

Imvvho, it is fairly interesting! Gun and missile engagements.

abelard

nieprzeczytany,
4 lip 2018, 05:55:524.07.2018
do
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 23:05:17 -0700, "Chris M. Thomasson"
<invalid_chr...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 6/23/2018 9:50 PM, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:

if only you could invent quantum radar

--
www.abelard.org
Nowe wiadomości: 0