Night vision eyedrops allow vision of up to 50m in darkness

raykeller

Mar 28, 2015, 8:38:31 PM3/28/15
Interesting

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/night-vision-eyedrops-allow-vision-of-up-to-50m-in-darkness-10138046.html

Night vision eyedrops allow vision of up to 50m in darkness

Jamie Campbell Friday 27 March 201
It might sound like something straight out of Qâ?Ts laboratory or the latest
Marvel film but a group of scientists in California have successfully
created eye drops that temporarily enable night vision.

Science for the Masses, an independent â?ocitizen scienceâ?ť organisation
that operates from the city of Tehacapi, theorised that Chlorin e6 (Ce6), a
natural molecule that can be created from algae and other green plants,
could enhance eyesight in dark environments.

The molecule is found in some deep sea fish, forms the basis of some cancer
therapies and has been previously prescribed intravenously for night
blindness.

Jeff Tibbets, the labâ?Ts medical officer, said: â?oThere are a fair amount
of papers talking about having injected it in models like rats and itâ?Ts
been used intravenously since the 60s as treatments for different cancers.
After doing the research, you have to take the next step.â?ť
The next step was to moisten the eyes of biochemical researcher and willing
guinea pig Gabriel Licinaâ?Ts eyes with 50 microlitres of Ce6.

The effect was apparently almost instantaneous and, after an hour, he was
able to distinguish shapes from 10 metres away in the dark and soon at even
greater distances.

Wayne

Mar 29, 2015, 11:27:40 AM3/29/15

"raykeller" wrote in message news:mf7hgh$i5$1...@dont-email.me...
As an amateur astronomer, I find this to be super cool!

All I need is for somebody to try it nightly for a couple of years, then get
back to me :)

Gunner Asch

Mar 29, 2015, 2:38:03 PM3/29/15
On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 08:27:34 -0700, "Wayne" <mygarb...@verizon.net>
wrote:

>"raykeller" wrote in message news:mf7hgh$i5$1...@dont-email.me...
>
>>Interesting
>
>>http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/night-vision-eyedrops-allow-vision-of-up-to-50m-in-darkness-10138046.html
>
>>Night vision eyedrops allow vision of up to 50m in darkness
>

>>Jamie CampbellĀ Friday 27 March 201
>>It might sound like something straight out of Qā?Ts laboratory or the
>>latest Marvel film but a group of scientists in California have
>>successfully created eye drops that temporarily enable night vision.
>
>>Science for the Masses, an independent ā?ocitizen scienceā?? organisation
>>that operates from the city of Tehacapi, theorised that Chlorin e6 (Ce6), a
>>natural molecule that can be created from algae and other green plants,
>>could enhance eyesight in dark environments.
>
>>The molecule is found in some deep sea fish, forms the basis of some cancer
>>therapies and has been previously prescribed intravenously for night
>>blindness.
>
>>Jeff Tibbets, the labā?Ts medical officer, said: ā?oThere are a fair amount
>>of papers talking about having injected it in models like rats and itā?Ts
>>been used intravenously since the 60s as treatments for different cancers.
>>After doing the research, you have to take the next step.ā??
>>The next step was to moisten the eyes of biochemical researcher and willing
>>guinea pig Gabriel Licinaā?Ts eyes with 50 microlitres of Ce6.
>
>>The effect was apparently almost instantaneous and, after an hour, he was
>>able to distinguish shapes from 10 metres away in the dark and soon at even
>>greater distances.
>
>As an amateur astronomer, I find this to be super cool!
>
>All I need is for somebody to try it nightly for a couple of years, then get
>back to me :)

Now the next question..unanswered here...is what were the effects of
sudden bright flashes of light such as gunfire, flares, artillery
strikes and simply opening and closing the door to the normally lit
hallway. We see the effects on Gen 2 NODS (night observation
devices)..a sudden shutting down of the device when encountering
bright light..requiring removal of said devices. If simply lighting
up a smoke after taking the drops will blind you..even temporarily..Id
say we have an interesting scientific oddity..with little practical
usage in the real world..with a very small subset of practicality for
a few users.

Shrug

Gunner

Wayne

Mar 29, 2015, 5:35:52 PM3/29/15

wrote:

>"raykeller" wrote in message news:mf7hgh$i5$1...@dont-email.me...
>
>>Interesting
>
>>http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/night-vision-eyedrops-allow-vision-of-up-to-50m-in-darkness-10138046.html
>
>>Night vision eyedrops allow vision of up to 50m in darkness
>

>>Jamie Campbell Friday 27 March 201
>>It might sound like something straight out of Qâ?Ts laboratory or the
>>latest Marvel film but a group of scientists in California have
>>successfully created eye drops that temporarily enable night vision.
>
>>Science for the Masses, an independent â?ocitizen scienceâ?? organisation
>>that operates from the city of Tehacapi, theorised that Chlorin e6 (Ce6),
>>natural molecule that can be created from algae and other green plants,
>>could enhance eyesight in dark environments.
>
>>The molecule is found in some deep sea fish, forms the basis of some
>>cancer
>>therapies and has been previously prescribed intravenously for night
>>blindness.
>
>>Jeff Tibbets, the labâ?Ts medical officer, said: â?oThere are a fair
>>amount
>>of papers talking about having injected it in models like rats and itâ?Ts
>>been used intravenously since the 60s as treatments for different cancers.
>>After doing the research, you have to take the next step.â??
>>The next step was to moisten the eyes of biochemical researcher and
>>willing
>>guinea pig Gabriel Licinaâ?Ts eyes with 50 microlitres of Ce6.
>
>>The effect was apparently almost instantaneous and, after an hour, he was
>>able to distinguish shapes from 10 metres away in the dark and soon at
>>even
>>greater distances.
>
>As an amateur astronomer, I find this to be super cool!
>
>All I need is for somebody to try it nightly for a couple of years, then
>get
>back to me :)

# Now the next question..unanswered here...is what were the effects of
# sudden bright flashes of light such as gunfire, flares, artillery
# strikes and simply opening and closing the door to the normally lit
# hallway. We see the effects on Gen 2 NODS (night observation
# devices)..a sudden shutting down of the device when encountering
# bright light..requiring removal of said devices. If simply lighting
# up a smoke after taking the drops will blind you..even temporarily..Id
# say we have an interesting scientific oddity..with little practical
# usage in the real world..with a very small subset of practicality for
# a few users.

# Shrug

Good points. If you didn’t close one eye when getting some light, it might
take a while to recover.
Yeah....more than 50 years since Ft. Benning, and I still close one eye when
getting up in the middle of the night :)

pyotr filipivich

Mar 29, 2015, 11:57:07 PM3/29/15
Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com> on Sun, 29 Mar 2015 11:37:50 -0700
typed in misc.survivalism the following:

>>>Jeff Tibbets, the labâ?Ts medical officer, said: â?oThere are a fair amount
>>>of papers talking about having injected it in models like rats and itâ?Ts
>>>been used intravenously since the 60s as treatments for different cancers.
>>>After doing the research, you have to take the next step.â??
>>>The next step was to moisten the eyes of biochemical researcher and willing
>>>guinea pig Gabriel Licinaâ?Ts eyes with 50 microlitres of Ce6.
>>
>>>The effect was apparently almost instantaneous and, after an hour, he was
>>>able to distinguish shapes from 10 metres away in the dark and soon at even
>>>greater distances.
>>
>>As an amateur astronomer, I find this to be super cool!
>>
>>All I need is for somebody to try it nightly for a couple of years, then get
>>back to me :)
>
>Now the next question..unanswered here...is what were the effects of
>sudden bright flashes of light such as gunfire, flares, artillery
>strikes and simply opening and closing the door to the normally lit
>hallway. We see the effects on Gen 2 NODS (night observation
>devices)..a sudden shutting down of the device when encountering
>bright light..requiring removal of said devices. If simply lighting
>up a smoke after taking the drops will blind you..even temporarily..Id
>say we have an interesting scientific oddity..with little practical
>usage in the real world..with a very small subset of practicality for
>a few users.
>
>Shrug

OTOH, like those Gen NODS - it is a start (and an improvement over
the 1st gen)..
--
pyotr filipivich
The fears of one class of men are not the measure of the rights of another.