OT income tax software applies only to USA

dca...@krl.org

Feb 9, 2016, 5:57:28 PM2/9/16
Off topic, but almost every one here has to pay income taxes. And at least it is not political.

I used a spreadsheet to help with my taxes and then started using Tax Act. Then last year Vanguard had a deal to use Turbo Tax free. So last year I used that. But did not like it and Vanguard no longer has that deal. So I was going to use Tax Act. But Tax Act now requires a version of Windows later that the XP program that I have. So I did some searching for affordable tax software.

And came up with Free Tax USA. It is an on line program so can use it with Ubuntu. And it will upload data from other software as Turbo Tax. So just had to verify the names, addresses,and SSBN number etc.

And I like the user interface better than either Turbo Tax or Tax Act. It gives you a form to fill out that is easier to read than the Federal form, and does not go thru a silly routine like asking if you have moved and if you say yes asking if you paid points for the loan.

But I did run into a problem. I get too many 1099 div statements and it stopped accepting data on about the eighteenth one. Tech support has the problem and we shall see how well they do. So I recommend it to anyone with fifteen or less 1099 statements , and depending on how well the Tech support does maybe for those with lots of 1099 div statements.

Federal filing is free, priority support is $6 and state returns are $13.

Dan

Jim Wilkins

Feb 9, 2016, 6:55:23 PM2/9/16
<dca...@krl.org> wrote in message
My sister does mine under H&R Block's free friends and family plan.

You should be able to find a decent deal on an older Windows 7
computer like a Core 2 Duo, and gain the speed of an SSD. This is my
current preference for a cheap desktop replacement:
http://www.amazon.com/DELL-LATITUDE-D820-2160-2048MB/dp/B001QVDPN6
The later D830 adds AHCI mode and 8GB of RAM with 7x64, and loses one
USB, the D630 is somewhat more portable. Unlike some of its
competition aftermarket batteries and accessories are available at
reasonable cost.
http://www.amazon.com/SATA-Drive-Caddy-Adapter-Latitude/dp/B004FM3DR6

This adds USB3, with something to grab while unplugging the cable:
http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-JTD-UH302E-Express-Adapter/dp/B005STWIQ2

Win 7 gave up things I like in exchange for some I don't, and may
require dropping into its powerful underlying DOS for some
housekeeping tasks, but it wasn't saddled with the "modern" UI and is
easy to adapt to.

I use a 120GB SSD for the boot drive on my Win 7 laptops, with a
Terabyte spinning drive in the CD bay for data. I didn't see much
benefit from an SSD I tried on this XP machine.
--jsw

dca...@krl.org

Feb 9, 2016, 8:28:07 PM2/9/16
On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 6:55:23 PM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:

> My sister does mine under H&R Block's free friends and family plan.
>
> You should be able to find a decent deal on an older Windows 7
> computer like a Core 2 Duo, and gain the speed of an SSD. This is my
> current preference for a cheap desktop replacement:
>
> --jsw

Thanks for the advice. But I get by using Ubuntu and like the Free Tax USA software better than the windows programs.

The Free Tax USA support came back with the information that their program did not have a limit on number of 1099 div statements. So took a good look at things and found the problem was the numlock was off. So stupid. But it occurred between entering numbers for ordinary div's and qualified div's. And I was not conscious of changing the numlock.

Dan

Jim Wilkins

Feb 9, 2016, 8:40:27 PM2/9/16
<dca...@krl.org> wrote in message
=================

IIRC my sister pushes the keyboard back to make space for documents
and enters the data from them on a small USB numeric keypad.
--jsw

Tom Gardner

Feb 10, 2016, 1:16:37 AM2/10/16
On 2/9/2016 8:28 PM, dca...@krl.org wrote:

> The Free Tax USA support came back with the information that their
> program did not have a limit on number of 1099 div statements. So
> took a good look at things and found the problem was the numlock was
> off. So stupid. But it occurred between entering numbers for
> ordinary div's and qualified div's. And I was not conscious of
> changing the numlock.
>
> Dan

I have used "Free Tax USA" since their inception and I highly recommend
them.