REMINDER: Three Lessons on Your Right to Keep and Bear Arms

raykeller

Nov 5, 2017, 7:30:15 PM11/5/17
REMINDER: Three Lessons on Your Right to Keep and Bear Arms
The Revolutionary Act ^ | 10/06/17

(Considering we know how Democrats will respond to today's shooting, here's
KrisAnne Hall's popular post on why we have the 2nd Amendment...)

What many citizens and legislators do not understand is that the federal
government has no right to prevent any law-abiding citizen from owning or
possessing any firearm. The entire argument for gun control is built upon a
false premise. The Second Amendment is not about self-defense from
criminals.

As unpleasant as it may be for this modern society to say out loud,
historically and constitutionally speaking, the right of the people to keep
and bear arms has always been a right to protect yourself from those in
power who want to enslave you. If America wants to engage in a real factual
debate on the right to keep and bear arms, then it must be approached from
the proper perspective.

The Constitution and its history is unequivocally clear on this. Here is a
little Second Amendment history lesson so we can defend our Rights from
becoming government bestowed privileges.

Everything we need to know was explained by our founders in the years
1787-1788. Lesson one comes from George Mason, who along with James Madison,
is referred to as the "Father of the Bill of Rights." Seems to me a good
person to listen to when it comes to any portion of the Bill of Rights is
someone who is referred to as its "Father." Mason first explains the reason
we are to bear arms, and guess what? - it has nothing to do with hunting and
skeet shooting.or fighting muggers.

Lesson one: The militia explained

"Forty years ago, when the resolution of enslaving America was formed in
Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man, (Sir
William Keith) who was governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that
it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should
not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually, by totally
disusing and neglecting the militia. [Here Mr. Mason quoted sundry passages
to this effect.] Why should we not provide against the danger of having our
militia, our real and natural strength, destroyed? The general government
ought, at the same time, to have some such power. But we need not give them
power to abolish our militia." (George Mason, Virginia Ratifying Convention,
June 14, 1788)

In the words of the "Father," we bear arms to keep from becoming enslaved by
the federal government. But Mason doesn't end his lesson there, he continues
by making sure we know who the militia is and this is contrary to what most
politicians profess.

"Mr. Chairman, a worthy member has asked who are the militia, if they be not
the people of this country, and if we are not to be protected from the fate
of the Germans, Prussians, etc., by our representation? I ask, Who are the
militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.
But I cannot say who will be the militia of the future day. If that paper on
the table gets no alteration, the militia of the future day may not consist
of all classes, high and low, and rich and poor." (George Mason, Virginia
Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788)

So Mason explains We The People are the militia who bear arms to keep from
being enslaved by the federal government and to protect ourselves from the
tyranny of our representatives, whose dereliction would lead us to suffer
the same fate as foreign nations.

Lesson two: Who we need protection from

This comes from the great patriot Noah Webster. Speaking on the threat of an
overpowering central government, he further explains, with great clarity,
the reason our founders intended the entire citizenry be armed.

"Another source of power in government is a military force. But this, to be
efficient, must be superior to any force that exists among the people, or
which they can command: for otherwise this force would be annihilated, on
the first exercise of acts of oppression. Before a standing army can rule,
the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.
The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword;
because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force
superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised
in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can
execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and
constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly
inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to
them unjust and oppressive." (Noah Webster, An Examination into the Leading
Principles of the Federal Constitution, 1787)

There is no need for interpretation. These instructions are written in plain
English. Why do we bear arms according to Noah Webster?

To prevent rule by a standing army;

To prevent Congress from executing unjust and unconstitutional laws;

To prevent the Federal Government from becoming unjust and oppressive;

The people bearing arms should be superior to an army controlled by
Congress.

Lesson three: Duty to bear arms

This comes from a founder referred to in pseudonym as Letter from a Federal
Farmer (most likely Richard Henry Lee, writer of the Resolution Declaring
Independence). Lee explains,

"[W]hereas, to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the
people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how
to use them; nor does it follow from this, that all promiscuously must go
into actual service on every occasion. The mind that aims at a select
militia must be influenced by a truly anti-republican principle; and when we
see many men disposed to practice upon it, whenever they can prevail, no
wonder true republicans are for carefully guarding against it." (Letter from
the Federal Farmer #18, January 25, 1788)

Lee explains that it is our duty to not simply bear arms, but to always bear
arms. Lee is probably rolling over in his grave at the idea that we have to
ask permission of the government to carry a firearm. How about that
directive that we also must teach our children to bear arms?

Our final lessons today come from Patrick Henry, who was probably one of the
most passionate champions of the citizen's duty to bear arms. No one can
break it down like Patrick Henry.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who
approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright
force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." (Patrick
Henry Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 5, 1788)

"Oh, sir! we should have fine times, indeed, if, to punish tyrants, it were
only sufficient to assemble the people! Your arms, wherewith you could
defend yourselves, are gone;.Did you ever read of any revolution in a
nation, brought about by the punishment of those in power, inflicted by
those who had no power at all? You read of a riot act in a country which is
called one of the freest in the world, where a few neighbors can not
assemble without the risk of being shot by a hired soldiery, the engines of
despotism. We may see such an act in America." (Patrick Henry Virginia
Ratifying Convention June 5, 1788)

Well, there you have it; an historical and truthful education on your Right
to Keep and Bear Arms. The writings is easy to find and easy to read. Why
are our politicians and media talking heads bent on disseminating
miseducation and lies? Perhaps they repeat the lies because they intend on
disarming the people, because they know, as our founders did, that an armed
citizenry is the last line of defense against absolute tyranny.

A proper debate on one's right to keep and bear arms is not one that is
framed in the terms of whether you can feel safe from wicked and depraved
people, full of hate and malice, who want to hurt you. You will never feel
safe from those people and those people will not cease to exist just because
you are not allowed to legally own a gun. Why? Because those people do not
care about laws and they will always find a way to hurt and destroy, with or
without gun laws.

If society is honest and historically accurate, the only question that has
any relevance to the gun control debate is:

"Do you trust those in government, now and forever in the future, to not
take your life, liberty, or property through the force of government?"

If the answer to that question is "no," the gun control debate is over.

!Jones

Nov 5, 2017, 8:24:54 PM11/5/17
x-no-idiots: yes

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 17:30:13 -0700, in talk.politics.guns "raykeller"
<whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
wrote:

>The Second Amendment is [...] about self-defense from
>criminals.

It says no such thing. It also doesn't say that it's about
overthrowing the government.

It's time to get rid of it.

Jones

--
How's my posting?

Direct Complaints to the Usenet Abuse Hotline:
Please Dial: 1-800-328-7448

max headroom

Nov 5, 2017, 11:42:32 PM11/5/17
In news:bcevvc9tbvv5jup6p...@4ax.com, !Jones <jo...@fobahor.com> typed:

> x-big-liar: jones

> On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 17:30:13 -0700, in talk.politics.guns "raykeller"
> <whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
> wrote:

>> ... The entire argument for gun control is built upon a false premise. The Second Amendment is
>> not about self-defense from criminals....

>> The Second Amendment is [...] about self-defense from
>> criminals.

> It says no such thing. It also doesn't say that it's about
> overthrowing the government.

You just can't help yourself, can you?

Gunner Asch

Nov 6, 2017, 6:37:52 AM11/6/17
He simply goes on and on doesnt he? Poor bastard is way out of his
depth and vaguely understands this. Being a typical internet
bully...he has become unsettled and upset.

Shrug

---

Klaus Schadenfreude

Nov 6, 2017, 6:39:51 AM11/6/17
On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 19:24:53 -0600, !Jones <jo...@fobahor.com> wrote:

>x-no-idiots: yes
>
>On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 17:30:13 -0700, in talk.politics.guns "raykeller"
><whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
>wrote:
>
>>The Second Amendment is [...] about self-defense from
>>criminals.
>
>It says no such thing. It also doesn't say that it's about
>overthrowing the government.
>
>It's time to get rid of it.

Yawn.

Get your ERA amendment passed first.

[chuckle]

!Jones

Nov 6, 2017, 8:47:17 AM11/6/17
I'm done with you; I may as well talk to a post.

Frank

Nov 6, 2017, 9:10:06 AM11/6/17
You see his name, you do not need to read the post as it is always a
negative, knee jerk reaction.

Michael Ejercito

Nov 6, 2017, 12:25:27 PM11/6/17

"!Jones" wrote in message

>x-no-idiots: yes

>On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 17:30:13 -0700, in talk.politics.guns "raykeller"
><whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
>wrote:

>>The Second Amendment is [...] about self-defense from
>>criminals.

>It says no such thing. It also doesn't say that it's about
>overthrowing the government.

>It's time to get rid of it.

Why should we get rid of it?

Michael

Winston_Smith

Nov 7, 2017, 10:51:54 PM11/7/17
On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 17:30:13 -0700, "raykeller" wrote:

>REMINDER: Three Lessons on Your Right to Keep and Bear Arms
>The Revolutionary Act ^ | 10/06/17

Yesterday's church shooter was convicted on domestic assault and
dishonorably discharged from the Air Force. He also escaped from a
mental institution. Both should have disqualified him from buying the
guns but the beloved government didn't bother filing either with the
gun background check database. Blood on 0bama's hands.

Dillon Roof, the last church shooter, had a previous drug and firearms
history that should have disqualified him but no one bothered
recording that one either. Well, they did, but screwed up the info. I
think that was the FBI.

Two mass shootings, both enabled by a negligent government, both on
0bama's watch. Add to Fast and Furious.

But just a few new laws, a few more things that are supposed to go in
the database, will fix everything.

dew claw

Nov 8, 2017, 3:57:52 PM11/8/17
On 11/6/2017 6:47 AM, !Jones wrote:
> I'm done with you; I may as well talk to a post.
>
> --

You say that a lot - but you _never_ leave.

Ed Huntress

Nov 8, 2017, 10:47:14 PM11/8/17
IIRC, you and I have discussed this before. I pointed out at the time
that the NRA had maneuvered to make sure NICS didn't work. I may have
explained why that is.

But I'm not about to go through it again. I'll just let someone else
do it. You ought to read the whole story:

"What Happened to the $1.3 Billion Congress Approved to Improve
Federal Gun Background Checks?"

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/07/nics-background-check-congress-spending/

"Back in 2007, the NRA publicly applauded the Act [the NICS
Improvement Amendments Act of 2007] for its relief from disability
provision and the fact that it barred federal fees for NICS checks. It
looked like a non-controversial way to better enforce current laws.
But Moran [James Moran, D-Va., who served on the House Appropriations
Committee] says the NRA then turned around and worked with allies in
Congress to cut off funding for these grants when the appropriations
committee put each year’s budget together.

“Everybody knew what was going on — the NRA never wanted any records
kept,” says Moran. Keeping the background check system incomplete,
Moran believes, allows the NRA to point to it as a failed system and
rally against its expansion to private sales."

You may know that the NRA, as of 1998 or so, favored expanding the
background check system for private sales. But they got so much
blowback from members that they soon reversed themselves, using the
excuse that the system as it exists doesn't work, so they now oppose
extending the checks to private sales.

The rest, as they say, is history. They are an extraordinarily
effective -- and extraordinarily devious -- lobby.

--
Ed Huntress

“In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate.
Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.” --
Dan Hodges, British journalist

Winston_Smith

Nov 9, 2017, 1:24:03 AM11/9/17
On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 22:47:04 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

>IIRC, you and I have discussed this before. I pointed out at the time
>that the NRA had maneuvered to make sure NICS didn't work. I may have
>explained why that is.

In these two, deadly, cases, it didn't work because two 0bama agencies
didn't bother getting the data in the data base and getting it right.

>But I'm not about to go through it again.

Thank the gods of the seven known universes for small favors.

Ed Huntress

Nov 9, 2017, 1:30:28 AM11/9/17
On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 23:23:56 -0700, Winston_Smith
<inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 22:47:04 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>
>>IIRC, you and I have discussed this before. I pointed out at the time
>>that the NRA had maneuvered to make sure NICS didn't work. I may have
>>explained why that is.
>
>In these two, deadly, cases, it didn't work because two 0bama agencies
>didn't bother getting the data in the data base and getting it right.

You have no way of knowing that. The "didn't bother" part is pure
speculation. If you read the article, or any of the other analyses of
the NICS system, you'd know that the whole thing is an unfunded
mandate.

>>But I'm not about to go through it again.
>
>Thank the gods of the seven known universes for small favors.

You'd rather just make it up in your head. It makes you feel better.

--
Ed Huntress

Rudy Canoza

Nov 9, 2017, 3:21:43 AM11/9/17
On 11/8/2017 10:23 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 22:47:04 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>
>> IIRC, you and I have discussed this before. I pointed out at the time
>> that the NRA had maneuvered to make sure NICS didn't work. I may have
>> explained why that is.
>
> In these two, deadly, cases, it didn't work because two 0bama agencies

The Air Force is an "Obama agency"? Bullshit.

Winston_Smith

Nov 9, 2017, 2:14:21 PM11/9/17
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 00:21:42 -0800, Rudy Canoza <c...@philhendrie.con>
wrote:
Oh, I forgot. Yes, now that you mention it, he appointed someone else
to be Commander In Chief.

Winston_Smith

Nov 9, 2017, 2:20:05 PM11/9/17
On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 01:30:19 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 23:23:56 -0700, Winston_Smith wrote:
>>On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 22:47:04 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>>
>>>IIRC, you and I have discussed this before. I pointed out at the time
>>>that the NRA had maneuvered to make sure NICS didn't work. I may have
>>>explained why that is.
>>
>>In these two, deadly, cases, it didn't work because two 0bama agencies
>>didn't bother getting the data in the data base and getting it right.
>
>You have no way of knowing that. The "didn't bother" part is pure
>speculation.

It didn't happen. If they had bothered, it would have happened. And a
gun would not have be sold. And a bunch of people would still be
alive.

>If you read the article, or any of the other analyses of
>the NICS system, you'd know that the whole thing is an unfunded
>mandate.

Continuing your classic liberal "appeal to authority" to support the
BS you make up. "Everyone knows; all thinking/educated/etc people;
it's agreed". Ed, buy a new trick somewhere. We are on to this one.

>You'd rather just make it up in your head. It makes you feel better.

I see you are morphing to be like every other pissing contest liberal
on usenet. Here are the personal attacks; foul language is sure to
follow. That's all liberals seem to have to "discuss".

Ed Huntress

Nov 9, 2017, 2:45:42 PM11/9/17
On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 12:19:56 -0700, Winston_Smith
<inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 01:30:19 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

>>>In these two, deadly, cases, it didn't work because two 0bama agencies
>>>didn't bother getting the data in the data base and getting it right.
>>
>>You have no way of knowing that. The "didn't bother" part is pure
>>speculation.
>
>It didn't happen. If they had bothered, it would have happened. And a
>gun would not have be sold. And a bunch of people would still be
>alive.

You don't even know when, or by whom, the procedures were set for the
U.S. Air Force. Failure to supply NICS with the statutory data has
been a chronic problem since the '90s. Some states have said that they
have no funding for it and that there is no incentive for mental
health profressionals, as one example, to comply.

>>If you read the article, or any of the other analyses of
>>the NICS system, you'd know that the whole thing is an unfunded
>>mandate.
>
>Continuing your classic liberal "appeal to authority" to support the
>BS you make up. "Everyone knows; all thinking/educated/etc people;
>it's agreed". Ed, buy a new trick somewhere. We are on to this one.

What a stupid thing to say. You prefer ignorance and stupidity to
research and analysis. I guess that explains your views.

>>You'd rather just make it up in your head. It makes you feel better.
>
>I see you are morphing to be like every other pissing contest liberal
>on usenet. Here are the personal attacks; foul language is sure to
>follow. That's all liberals seem to have to "discuss".

Your sarcastic and dismissive approach to any facts that contradict
your prejudiced assumptions make it very difficult to have anything
liike a sensible discussion.

--
Ed Huntress

Winston_Smith

Nov 9, 2017, 3:07:13 PM11/9/17
On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 14:45:34 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 12:19:56 -0700, Winston_Smith> wrote:
>>On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 01:30:19 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

>>>You have no way of knowing that. The "didn't bother" part is pure
>>>speculation.
>>
>>It didn't happen. If they had bothered, it would have happened. And a
>>gun would not have be sold. And a bunch of people would still be
>>alive.
>
>You don't even know when, or by whom, the procedures were set for the
>U.S. Air Force.

We DO know it was not filed. The abuse conviction. The dishonorable
discharge. The escape from a mental facility. The rest is your trying
to finesse the 0bama administration off the hook.

>Failure to supply NICS with the statutory data has
>been a chronic problem since the '90s. Some states have said that they
>have no funding for it mply.

The Feds want to mandate a program; the Feds pay for it. This writing
laws requiring a bunch of BS be done by someone else and then dumping
it on the states to pay for it is pure, hot stinkin' BS.

>and that there is no incentive for mental
>health profressionals, as one example, to comply.

Are you saying we are not obligated to obey the law if we feel there
is nothing in it for us to do so?

>>Continuing your classic liberal "appeal to authority" to support the
>>BS you make up. "Everyone knows; all thinking/educated/etc people;
>>it's agreed". Ed, buy a new trick somewhere. We are on to this one.
>
>What a stupid thing to say. You prefer ignorance and stupidity to
>research and analysis. I guess that explains your views.

I see you are morphing to be like every other pissing contest liberal
on usenet. Here are the personal attacks; foul language is sure to
follow. That's all liberals seem to have for their "discussions".

>>>You'd rather just make it up in your head. It makes you feel better.
>>
>>I see you are morphing to be like every other pissing contest liberal
>>on usenet. Here are the personal attacks; foul language is sure to
>>follow. That's all liberals seem to have to "discuss".
>
>Your sarcastic and dismissive approach to any facts that contradict
>your prejudiced assumptions make it very difficult to have anything
>liike a sensible discussion.

Feel free to ignore me. The trouble is you have a "fact" or "study" or
"authority" to support any thing you care to say or challenge. Rarely
a cite; if there is one it's to questionable sources. It's obvious and
getting thin.

Ed Huntress

Nov 9, 2017, 4:43:58 PM11/9/17
On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 13:07:05 -0700, Winston_Smith
<inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 14:45:34 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

>>>It didn't happen. If they had bothered, it would have happened. And a
>>>gun would not have be sold. And a bunch of people would still be
>>>alive.
>>
>>You don't even know when, or by whom, the procedures were set for the
>>U.S. Air Force.
>
>We DO know it was not filed. The abuse conviction. The dishonorable
>discharge. The escape from a mental facility. The rest is your trying
>to finesse the 0bama administration off the hook.

Who has ever required the Air Force to provide such information to
NICS, at any time since the Brady Law was authorized in the 1980s? Do
you know? Or are you guessing?

>>Failure to supply NICS with the statutory data has
>>been a chronic problem since the '90s. Some states have said that they
>>have no funding for it mply.
>
>The Feds want to mandate a program; the Feds pay for it. This writing
>laws requiring a bunch of BS be done by someone else and then dumping
>it on the states to pay for it is pure, hot stinkin' BS.

They authorized $1.3 Billion. But, if you had read the first article I
linked to, you'd know that the NRA's lobbyists have managed to keep
the money from being released. It never gets authorized out of
committees.

>>and that there is no incentive for mental
>>health profressionals, as one example, to comply.
>
>Are you saying we are not obligated to obey the law if we feel there
>is nothing in it for us to do so?

There is no law requiring them to send the information along.
Remember, the legislation was written by lobbyists -- like most
legislation is.

>>>Continuing your classic liberal "appeal to authority" to support the
>>>BS you make up. "Everyone knows; all thinking/educated/etc people;
>>>it's agreed". Ed, buy a new trick somewhere. We are on to this one.
>>
>>What a stupid thing to say. You prefer ignorance and stupidity to
>>research and analysis. I guess that explains your views.
>
>I see you are morphing to be like every other pissing contest liberal
>on usenet. Here are the personal attacks; foul language is sure to
>follow. That's all liberals seem to have for their "discussions".

In other words, no one can "appeal to authority" -- that is, quote
authorities -- in a discussion with you. Or to put it differently,
we're supposed to remain just as ignorant as you are, or you will feel
put upon.

Let's "appeal to authority" again. I realize that quoting someone who
knows what they're talking about runs against your grain, but we'll
give it another try:

"However, federal law cannot require states to make information
identifying these people available to the federal or state agencies
that perform background checks,2 and many states fail to voluntarily
report the necessary records to the FBI’s National Instant Criminal
Background Check System (NICS), especially with respect to people
prohibited from possessing guns for mental health reasons. As a
result, some individuals known to be dangerous can pass background
checks and obtain firearms."

http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/background-checks/mental-health-reporting/

>>>I see you are morphing to be like every other pissing contest liberal
>>>on usenet. Here are the personal attacks; foul language is sure to
>>>follow. That's all liberals seem to have to "discuss".
>>
>>Your sarcastic and dismissive approach to any facts that contradict
>>your prejudiced assumptions make it very difficult to have anything
>>liike a sensible discussion.
>
>Feel free to ignore me. The trouble is you have a "fact" or "study" or
>"authority" to support any thing you care to say or challenge. Rarely
>a cite...

WTF are you talking about? What do you think a "cite" is? That last
one I quoted from is a legal center, quoting the federal law as it
stands. What are you looking for? Something carved on stone tablets?

And where are you getting *your* information about this? From Usenet
posts?

>; if there is one it's to questionable sources. It's obvious and
>getting thin.

I'll cite the US Code, except it's lengthy and you'd never bother to
read it. It would be too questionable, anyway. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Just Wondering

Nov 9, 2017, 4:49:10 PM11/9/17
On 11/9/2017 12:45 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

> You don't even know when, or by whom, the procedures were set for the
> U.S. Air Force. Failure to supply NICS with the statutory data has
> been a chronic problem since the '90s. Some states have said that they
> have no funding for it and that there is no incentive for mental
> health profressionals, as one example, to comply.

How would mental health professionals comply? What would they comply
with? If your last comment refers to non-adjudicated mental illness
diagnoses, they have no duty to inform the NICS database, in fact it
would be a violation of doctor-patient privilege. If it's about
adjudicated illnesses, that would be the duty of the courts.

Ed Huntress

Nov 9, 2017, 5:10:40 PM11/9/17
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 14:49:05 -0700, Just Wondering <fmh...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 11/9/2017 12:45 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
>>
>> You don't even know when, or by whom, the procedures were set for the
>> U.S. Air Force. Failure to supply NICS with the statutory data has
>> been a chronic problem since the '90s. Some states have said that they
>> have no funding for it and that there is no incentive for mental
>> health profressionals, as one example, to comply.
>
>How would mental health professionals comply? What would they comply
>with?

If you want the post-Jan. '16 regulation, it's here:

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/special-topics/NICS/index.html

If you want the previous regulations, let me know and I'll look them
up for you. Or you can look for yourself.

>If your last comment refers to non-adjudicated mental illness
>diagnoses, they have no duty to inform the NICS database, in fact it
>would be a violation of doctor-patient privilege. If it's about
>adjudicated illnesses, that would be the duty of the courts.

It's more than courts in most states. There is more detail here:

http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/background-checks/mental-health-reporting/

--
Ed Huntress

Joseph Gwinn

Nov 9, 2017, 5:37:31 PM11/9/17
On Nov 9, 2017, Ed Huntress wrote
(in article<cuj90dt9j3itjgdle...@4ax.com>):
Given that the shooter was reasonaby functional (albeit crazy) and this is
Texas, what’s the liklihood that being denied at the gun store would have
delayed him than a day or maybe week or two?

Joe Gwinn

Ed Huntress

Nov 9, 2017, 5:44:21 PM11/9/17
Are you saying he would have gotten around background checks through a
private sale?

--
Ed Huntress

Step Right Up

Nov 9, 2017, 6:20:17 PM11/9/17
I think what he might be saying is that if for example, you have a
convicted drunk driver, there's no point in suspending his driver's
license because he may drive anyway. Same reason it's pointless to
plug a leak in your tire, because it may still leak. :)

Ed Huntress

Nov 9, 2017, 6:28:50 PM11/9/17
I'm glad you cleared that up. d8-)

Along those lines, you may have seen the article and graphs in a NYT
article about guns and mass killings over the past few days, and
perhaps you saw the rejoinder in the National Review.

The NYT says, basically, "We have more mass killings than other
countries because we have more guns.

The NR says, critically, "Of COURSE we have more mass killings. We
have more guns! That's to be expected."

Talk about alternate realities... I'm hoping the whiplash feels better
tomorrow. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Just Wondering

Nov 9, 2017, 6:53:28 PM11/9/17
On 11/9/2017 3:10 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 14:49:05 -0700, Just Wondering <fmh...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/9/2017 12:45 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
>>>
>>> You don't even know when, or by whom, the procedures were set for the
>>> U.S. Air Force. Failure to supply NICS with the statutory data has
>>> been a chronic problem since the '90s. Some states have said that they
>>> have no funding for it and that there is no incentive for mental
>>> health profressionals, as one example, to comply.
>>
>> How would mental health professionals comply? What would they comply
>> with?
>
> If you want the post-Jan. '16 regulation, it's here:
>
> https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/special-topics/NICS/index.html

So it permits but does not require reporting about

"individuals who have been involuntarily committed to a mental
institution; found incompetent to stand trial or not guilty by reason of
insanity; or otherwise have been determined by a court, board,
commission, or other lawful authority to be a danger to themselves or
others or to lack the mental capacity to contract or manage their own
affairs, as a result of marked subnormal intelligence or mental illness,
incompetency, condition, or disease. Under this final rule, only covered
entities with lawful authority to make the adjudications or commitment
decisions that make individuals subject to the Federal mental health
prohibitor, or that serve as repositories of information for NICS
reporting purposes, are permitted to disclose the information needed for
these purposes."

In other words, there is NO DUTY for "mental health professionals"
to comply with ANYTHING. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ed Huntress

Nov 9, 2017, 7:01:19 PM11/9/17
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 16:53:24 -0700, Just Wondering <fmh...@comcast.net>
Right. There never was. The new regulation, above, is intended to
clear up a privacy issue that has, in the past, led mental health
professionals to minimize the number of names they passed along to
NICS.

--
Ed Huntress

Joseph Gwinn

Nov 9, 2017, 7:41:15 PM11/9/17
On Nov 9, 2017, Ed Huntress wrote
(in article<dgm90dhrr05012dnc...@4ax.com>):
That’s one way, but there are many others. Like burglary. Or buy it in
Mexico and/or have it smuggled in.

In Sweden, they are having a lot of trouble with gun violence in some cities.
The weapons are smuggled in from Eastern Europe on the ferries - no airplane
security.

Joe Gwinn

Scout

Nov 9, 2017, 7:45:59 PM11/9/17

"Winston_Smith" <inv...@butterfly.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 01:30:19 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

>>>In these two, deadly, cases, it didn't work because two 0bama agencies
>>>didn't bother getting the data in the data base and getting it right.
>>
>>You have no way of knowing that. The "didn't bother" part is pure
>>speculation.
>
> It didn't happen. If they had bothered, it would have happened. And a
> gun would not have be sold. And a bunch of people would still be
> alive.

Objection: That sale may not have occurred if the information was entered as
it should have been. But the assertion that he would not have obtained
another gun by illegal means, or simply changed to another means of mayhem
is an unfounded assertion.

>>If you read the article, or any of the other analyses of
>>the NICS system, you'd know that the whole thing is an unfunded
>>mandate.
>
> Continuing your classic liberal "appeal to authority" to support the
> BS you make up. "Everyone knows; all thinking/educated/etc people;
> it's agreed". Ed, buy a new trick somewhere. We are on to this one.

For what Ed claims is an unfunded mandate, they sure seem to spend a lot of
money on it.

" Therefore, the FY 2014 budget requests 524 positions and $100 million to
increase the ability to process mandated background checks for firearm
purchases."

Therefore, the FY 2014 budget requests 524 positions and $100 million to
increase the ability to process mandated background checks for firearm
purchases.

Ed Huntress

Nov 9, 2017, 8:03:56 PM11/9/17
On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 19:41:40 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
We know from DOJ research that was done in 2001 that about 32% of guns
used by criminals were obtained from family or friends -- a lot of
which is straw purchases, but I don't know of any specifics on that.
Around 33% were obtained "on the street," says DOJ. That, again,
includes a combination of straw purchases followed by illegal sales,
and thefts. IIRC, thefts from *legal* owners was something like 14%. I
guess the rest are criminals stealing from other criminals. Maybe.

I don't know of any data on the mass shooters, specifically. As for
smuggling them in, I've never heard of that being significant, except
for the drug dealers in Florida, during the cocaine scourge in the
1980s.

There really isn't a lot of data on it. It's so hard to trace guns
(thanks, NRA!) that there's no continuous update.

>In Sweden, they are having a lot of trouble with gun violence in some cities.
>The weapons are smuggled in from Eastern Europe on the ferries - no airplane
>security.
>
>Joe Gwinn

I think that's generally true in Europe. The channels are very
difficult, which perhaps is why their gun crime rates are so low
compared to ours. You may remember that the AKs used in the Charlie
Hebdo massacre apparently came from an illegal dealer in Belgium, who
had both legal and illegal businesses.

In the US, the vast majority of guns used in crimes were originally
legal sales made to individuals -- or sales that appeared to be legal
to the sellers.

Private sales don't appear to be much of an issue, but those are all
but impossible to trace, so they may be under reported.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress

Nov 9, 2017, 8:11:08 PM11/9/17
That's for the FBI to process the *checks*, not to acquire the data.
In the week of Dec. 17, 2012, the FBI had to process over one million
checks -- in one week!

As I noted before, $1.3B was allocated for gathering and communicating
data to the NICS database in 2007, but hardly any of it has been
distributed by Congress.

--
Ed Huntress

Winston_Smith

Nov 9, 2017, 10:34:00 PM11/9/17
On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 16:43:47 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

>They authorized $1.3 Billion. But, if you had read the first article I
>linked to, you'd know that the NRA's lobbyists have managed to keep
>the money from being released. It never gets authorized out of
>committees.

Therefore it was never appropriated. If you have a problem with that
particular word, let me add "in a spendable form". That means no
federal funding exists and it's on the state's dime. Federal mandate
to be paid for by the states.

Agreed on committees. It's epidemic. Take for example all the good
"conservative" Rs that promised to repeal 0bamaCare on day one. Not
"repeal and replace" -- repeal. Six bleepin' years they flapped
their gums and campaigned.

After years of bitching and promising, they can't cough up a working
majority for what should be a signature vote. A vote they all promised
just a few months before it came time to cast it.

Flip side, we have had D controlled Congresses since the 90s but they
never funded the control of evil guns they tell us they are all in
favor of. Some of the classes had the votes to tell the NRA to go suck
an egg. Turns out lots of Ds get NRA money and they would get killed
next election by their constituents if they actually did what they
promise so loud and long.

The Washington party two sides of the same bird.

Winston_Smith

Nov 9, 2017, 10:47:24 PM11/9/17
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 19:29:21 -0500, "Scout" wrote:

>Objection: That sale may not have occurred if the information was entered as
>it should have been. But the assertion that he would not have obtained
>another gun by illegal means, or simply changed to another means of mayhem
>is an unfounded assertion.

I see your point. However, the only remedy I've heard from the left so
far is we need background checks. The few that understand we DO have
them call for stricter reporting of more things.

That does zero to prevent a criminal getting a gun. Report the guy got
a $3 parking ticket at an overdue meter in 1952 because he got back
two minutes too late and it still does zero.

The other call from the left this past week have been we need to
outlaw assault weapons. Please consult any dictionary. They aren't
banned but getting one is long and costly and the damn thing has to be
50 years old. Now guns that "look" like military rifles for marketing
purposes is another story but I honestly believe most of the yammering
left actually thinks what they are saying is strictly accurate.

Hell, my Ruger 10-22 might be illegal in California because of the
stock. I guess I'm ready to take on a company of pissed off Marines.
I'm sure my stock will impress them. <grin>

Scout

Nov 10, 2017, 12:16:10 AM11/10/17

> On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 19:29:21 -0500, "Scout" wrote:
>
>>Objection: That sale may not have occurred if the information was entered
>>as
>>it should have been. But the assertion that he would not have obtained
>>another gun by illegal means, or simply changed to another means of mayhem
>>is an unfounded assertion.
>
> I see your point. However, the only remedy I've heard from the left so
> far is we need background checks. The few that understand we DO have
> them call for stricter reporting of more things.

Yea, they call for background checks, because they feel, as you implied,
that if ONLY we can keep them from buying a gun....then they can't possibly
do any harm.

The truth is that background checks are largely worthless, do nothing about
the criminal black market, or address all the other means of mayhem that
readily exist. For example, this man apparently put a lot of time and effort
into his assault.

Now consider, he was a licensed pilot, with a lot of wealth. As such he
could easily have rented a twin engine loaded it up with an explosive
incendiary set to go off on impact, and then crashed into the crowd on a
fast low angle approach.....

Now tell me again, how keeping him from getting a gun, even if successful,
would have ended the danger?

> That does zero to prevent a criminal getting a gun. Report the guy got
> a $3 parking ticket at an overdue meter in 1952 because he got back
> two minutes too late and it still does zero.
>
> The other call from the left this past week have been we need to
> outlaw assault weapons. Please consult any dictionary. They aren't
> banned but getting one is long and costly and the damn thing has to be
> 50 years old.

Actually you're thinking of assault rifles. Assault weapons is a purely
fabricated term made up for the express purpose of confusing people by
getting them to think machine guns rather than ordinary semi-automatics. The
first defining characteristic of ANY assault weapon in any legislation
proposed or enacted is that it's a semi-automatic.....

What they can't explain is how an AR15, an assault weapon, is so much more
dangerous than a Mini14, ordinary sporting rifle.....

The answer, is they aren't concerned about function, but purely a matter of
appearance.

In the federal AWB, the liberals got all upset when 'manufacturers changed
the names (from those that were banned by name) and the cosmetic features so
that they were no longer assault weapons under the law. They claimed that
the gun manufacturers were avoiding the intent of the law........which
wasn't to ban guns with such features, but to ban a lot of semi-automatics
that looked dangerous.

They still looked dangerous just not in the manner that they claim made them
so dangerous to have.

Be that as it may, ANY semi-automatic could have been made to function in
that manner, and it wouldn't have mattered if the stock was wooden, or
dangerous evil black plastic.

>Now guns that "look" like military rifles for marketing
> purposes is another story but I honestly believe most of the yammering
> left actually thinks what they are saying is strictly accurate.

Some are made that way just to have the appearance, but again, does how
something look make it dangerous?

For the rest, there is a reason that military rifles have such features, and
civilian shooters have discovered the benefits as well.
Standardized modular mounting and ready conversion to different cartridges
without having the expense of a whole new rifle, With a modest investment
you can buy one single lower, and adapt that readily in a short period of
time from a plinking rifle, to a varmint rifle, to a tack driving
competition rifle, to something you can take hunting........

Indeed the AR platform is the most popular civil shooting platform in
history and for the very reasons of it's adaptability and convertibility.
Features in demand not just in the military.

> Hell, my Ruger 10-22 might be illegal in California because of the
> stock.

Yep and that's the WONDERFUL part of the assault weapons definition...you
can make a gun into an evil dangerous assault weapon simply by changing the
stock....or change that evil dangerous assault weapon into an acceptable
hunting rifle by another stock change.
Functionally, they are absolutely identical, but the shape of a hunk of
plastic or wood apparently has the ability to transform the rifle from the
benign to utter evil and back again in a matter of moments.

> I guess I'm ready to take on a company of pissed off Marines.
> I'm sure my stock will impress them. <grin>

Maybe, but it clearly can scare the piss out of ignorant liberals.

Ed Huntress

Nov 10, 2017, 9:31:46 AM11/10/17
Yike. A consistently accurate post. Congrats, Winston! d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Winston_Smith

Nov 10, 2017, 12:42:39 PM11/10/17
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 00:15:44 -0500, "Scout" wrote:
>"Winston_Smith" wrote

>> The other call from the left this past week have been we need to
>> outlaw assault weapons. Please consult any dictionary. They aren't
>> banned but getting one is long and costly and the damn thing has to be
>> 50 years old.
>
>Actually you're thinking of assault rifles. Assault weapons is a purely
>fabricated term made up for the express purpose of confusing people by
>getting them to think machine guns rather than ordinary semi-automatics. The
>first defining characteristic of ANY assault weapon in any legislation
>proposed or enacted is that it's a semi-automatic.....

In the histories I've read, the low capacity, high power rifle of WW1
and WW2 came to be called an infantry or battle rifle. It required
some marksmanship. Most soldiers at that time came from rural areas
and already knew how to shoot.

The assault rifle is high capacity, high fire rate, lighter, not
designed as much for high accuracy. Particularly it means full auto.
The grand daddy was the German Sturmgewehr of WW2, which translates to
Assault Rifle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmgewehr_44

The idea there is not hitting a particular target (while being a good
target yourself); it's to place a sheet of suppression fire to make
the enemy keep their head down while your guys make a dash to the next
cover. That is to say -- assault.

Fast forward a couple decades to when the American army discovered
most recruits were city boys and it took more than a few days to teach
them to shoot. Switch from the precision battle rifle to the mass
produced assault rifle for everyone. Spray and prey.

To make the volumes of ammunition carryable, it has to become smaller
and lighter. The Sturmgewehr started down that road by shortening the
7.92×57mm almost in half to 7.92×33mm Kurz.

With newer powders and other technologies, that evolved into the
5.56x45mm for the M14 of Nam; the AR-15 is the civilian, semi-auto
copy/look-a-like.

"Assault rifle" has a particular meaning in military terminology -
full auto. The idiot politicians just mis-used it because it sounds
evil. Full auto has never been available to civilians in any quantity
and without cost and effort. Full auto has never been used in a mass
shooting.

Anyone is invited to correct my understanding if I have something
wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_rifle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite_AR-15

>What they can't explain is how an AR15, an assault weapon, is so much more
>dangerous than a Mini14, ordinary sporting rifle.....

>The answer, is they aren't concerned about function, but purely a matter of
>appearance.

Looks are everything in today's world. I could trick out my Ruger
10-22 to look like an AR. In fact, a .22LR AR-look-alike is a common
item in any gun store today. Diane and her friends don't understand
guns, don't want to soil their psyche by learning about the evil
things, so they just go by what it looks like.

Joseph Gwinn

Nov 10, 2017, 12:50:25 PM11/10/17
On Nov 9, 2017, Ed Huntress wrote
(in article<9st90d9pt63aaapd4...@4ax.com>):

> > > Are you saying he would have gotten around background checks through a
> > > private sale?
> >
> > That’s one way, but there are many others. Like burglary. Or buy it in
> > Mexico and/or have it smuggled in.
>
> We know from DOJ research that was done in 2001 that about 32% of guns
> used by criminals were obtained from family or friends -- a lot of
> which is straw purchases, but I don't know of any specifics on that.
> Around 33% were obtained "on the street," says DOJ. That, again,
> includes a combination of straw purchases followed by illegal sales,
> and thefts. IIRC, thefts from *legal* owners was something like 14%. I
> guess the rest are criminals stealing from other criminals. Maybe.

It’s hard to know, even for the DOJ. As for the 14%, I wonder - my Father
lost a pistol, two rifles, and a shotgun in a burglary.

> I don't know of any data on the mass shooters, specifically. As for
> smuggling them in, I've never heard of that being significant, except
> for the drug dealers in Florida, during the cocaine scourge in the
> 1980s.

Smuggling only arises in the absence of easier paths. Actually, the gun
problem seems more smuggling from the US outward. Like to Mexico, for use by
the Drug Cartels.

> There really isn't a lot of data on it. It's so hard to trace guns
> (thanks, NRA!) that there's no continuous update.

No amount of official recordkeeping will track illegal guns, even if they
were once legal. And, one can always grind the serial numbers off, like the
Mafia. And/or melt them, like any proper metalworker.

> > In Sweden, they are having a lot of trouble with gun violence in some
> > cities.
> > The weapons are smuggled in from Eastern Europe on the ferries - no airplane
> > security.
> >
> > Joe Gwinn
>
> I think that's generally true in Europe. The channels are very
> difficult, which perhaps is why their gun crime rates are so low
> compared to ours.

Yes. But the channels are not at all difficult. For
instance:<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Behring_Breivik>.

See the section on Preparations. Keep in mind that this worked in Norway.

> You may remember that the AKs used in the Charlie
> Hebdo massacre apparently came from an illegal dealer in Belgium, who
> had both legal and illegal businesses.
>
> In the US, the vast majority of guns used in crimes were originally
> legal sales made to individuals -- or sales that appeared to be legal
> to the sellers.
>
> Private sales don't appear to be much of an issue, but those are all
> but impossible to trace, so they may be under reported.

Yep.

Joe Gwinn

Ed Huntress

Nov 10, 2017, 1:05:29 PM11/10/17
Ask yourself why so many mass killers are using AR look-alike rifles,
rather than Mini 14s, and the answer will soon become obvious.

And no, it's not because they're sophisticated gun owners who prefer
the way the bolt locks up on an AR-15, for the sake of engineering
elegance.

--
Ed Huntress

Just Wondering

Nov 10, 2017, 1:16:53 PM11/10/17
"So many"? How many is "so many"? What is an "AR look-alike rifle"?
What percent of the total population of mass killers who use AR
look-alike rifles? What good is it for the reader to ask himself? You
should be asking the killer, only he knows the answer.
,
> rather than Mini 14s, and the answer will soon become obvious.
>
> And no, it's not because they're sophisticated gun owners who prefer
> the way the bolt locks up on an AR-15, for the sake of engineering
> elegance.

So you've already interviewed all the mass killers and obtained their
explanations for choosing their weapons?

Winston_Smith

Nov 10, 2017, 1:23:44 PM11/10/17
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 13:05:21 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:42:28 -0700, Winston_Smith wrote:

>>Looks are everything in today's world. I could trick out my Ruger
>>10-22 to look like an AR. In fact, a .22LR AR-look-alike is a common
>>item in any gun store today. Diane and her friends don't understand
>>guns, don't want to soil their psyche by learning about the evil
>>things, so they just go by what it looks like.

Neatly shifting the thread from the left's misuse of the term "assault
rifle" for intentional political deception -- Ed asks:

>Ask yourself why so many mass killers are using AR look-alike rifles,
>rather than Mini 14s, and the answer will soon become obvious.

They are nuts living in a fantasy world. They go with the kool image.
What the liberal movies and game world show as the thing all bad dudes
do.

>And no, it's not because they're sophisticated gun owners who prefer
>the way the bolt locks up on an AR-15, for the sake of engineering
>elegance.

How are the two functionally different? Even in a mass shooting
scenario?

Jim Wilkins

Nov 10, 2017, 1:27:17 PM11/10/17
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 00:15:44 -0500, "Scout" wrote:
>>"Winston_Smith" wrote
>

> The assault rifle is high capacity, high fire rate, lighter, not
> designed as much for high accuracy. Particularly it means full auto.
> The grand daddy was the German Sturmgewehr of WW2, which translates
> Assault Rifle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmgewehr_44
>
> The idea there is not hitting a particular target (while being a
> good
> target yourself); it's to place a sheet of suppression fire to make
> the enemy keep their head down while your guys make a dash to the
> next
> cover. That is to say -- assault.

Submachine guns like the Thompson came first, chambered for pistol
cartridges. They were great for spraying lead in trenches and houses
but didn't have much range in the open. The next step was to redesign
them for lower power, lower recoil rifle cartridges such as the .32
WSL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30_Carbine
Although the M1 Carbine wasn't intended as a front-line assault rifle,
when the need arose it was available.

The long range cartridges of battle rifles had too much recoil in full
auto for many soldiers to control.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1918_Browning_Automatic_Rifle
Weight: 19 lbs.

Ed Huntress

Nov 10, 2017, 3:47:21 PM11/10/17
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 11:23:36 -0700, Winston_Smith
<inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 13:05:21 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>>On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:42:28 -0700, Winston_Smith wrote:
>
>>>Looks are everything in today's world. I could trick out my Ruger
>>>10-22 to look like an AR. In fact, a .22LR AR-look-alike is a common
>>>item in any gun store today. Diane and her friends don't understand
>>>guns, don't want to soil their psyche by learning about the evil
>>>things, so they just go by what it looks like.
>
>Neatly shifting the thread from the left's misuse of the term "assault
>rifle" for intentional political deception -- Ed asks:
>
>>Ask yourself why so many mass killers are using AR look-alike rifles,
>>rather than Mini 14s, and the answer will soon become obvious.
>
>They are nuts living in a fantasy world. They go with the kool image.

Exactly. Tell Just Wondering.

>What the liberal movies and game world show as the thing all bad dudes
>do.

When did those movies become "liberal"? And how do you tell if a movie
about bad dudes is liberal? d8-)

Otherwise, yes. They're for bad dudes. Serious killers.

>>And no, it's not because they're sophisticated gun owners who prefer
>>the way the bolt locks up on an AR-15, for the sake of engineering
>>elegance.
>
>How are the two functionally different? Even in a mass shooting
>scenario?

You mean in terms of the "engineering elegance" issue? It's about the
rotating bolt in the AR-15. It's an interrupted-thread lockup, which
is the most accurate type.

If you mean in terms of launching bullets downrange, there isn't much
difference. That has nothing to do with anything. As you said above,
the thing that matters is that it's the gun for "bad dudes."

This is what I missed in 1991, when I was lobbying against
assault-rifle bans in NJ. I didn't realize how important the emotional
component would become to mass killers.

--
Ed Huntress

Step Right Up

Nov 10, 2017, 4:09:10 PM11/10/17
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 15:47:11 -0500, Ed Huntress
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 11:23:36 -0700, Winston_Smith
><inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:

>>What the liberal movies and game world show as the thing all bad dudes
>>do.
>
>When did those movies become "liberal"?

When the price of HBO rose beyond Smith's budget?

> And how do you tell if a movie
>about bad dudes is liberal? d8-)

Same way the WCTU ladies knew about demon rum. :)

Man, some of these guys sure have a lot of crazy shit going on in
their minds.

Ed Huntress

Nov 10, 2017, 5:10:18 PM11/10/17
These are the last six mass killings with AR-15s and look-alikes:

1) Sutherland Springs, Texas: 26 killed, 2o injured, Nov. 5, 2017
2) Las Vegas: 58 people killed, over 500 others injured, Oct. 1, 2017
3) Orlando, Florida: 49 people killed, 53 others wounded, June 12,
2016
4) San Bernardino, California: 14 people killed, 22 others wounded,
Dec. 2, 2015
5) Colorado Springs, Colorado: 3 people killed, Oct. 31, 2015
6) Chattanooga, Tennessee: 4 people killed, 3 others wounded, July 16,
2015

>What is an "AR look-alike rifle"?

Sig-Sauer SIG516, Ruger AR-556, etc., etc.

>What percent of the total population of mass killers who use AR
>look-alike rifles?

Over what time period? The trend is that they have become the
mass-murderers' weapon of choice.

> What good is it for the reader to ask himself?

To see if he has any sense. Winston picked it up immediately.

> You should be asking the killer, only he knows the answer.

Go for it.

>,
>> rather than Mini 14s, and the answer will soon become obvious.
>>
>> And no, it's not because they're sophisticated gun owners who prefer
>> the way the bolt locks up on an AR-15, for the sake of engineering
>> elegance.
>
>So you've already interviewed all the mass killers and obtained their
>explanations for choosing their weapons?

No need to. The pattern is clear.

--
Ed Huntress

“In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate.
Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.” --
Dan Hodges, British journalist

Ed Huntress

Nov 10, 2017, 5:41:18 PM11/10/17
It's a psych grad-students' cornucopia. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Scout

Nov 10, 2017, 8:35:38 PM11/10/17

"Just Wondering" <fmh...@comcast.net> wrote in message
And one more point....given the shear number of "AR look-alike rifles" are
their use in mass killings typical of the number represented within the body
of all guns?

After all, the AR platform, and it's look alikes, is the most popular rifle
platform in history.

I also understand that fords and ford look alikes constitute a lot of the
get away vehicles used in heists.

Maybe we should ban Ford from making automobiles and everyone else from
making anything that looks even remotely like any Ford ever produced?

Scout

Nov 10, 2017, 8:35:38 PM11/10/17
Piggy Back

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 13:05:21 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>>On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:42:28 -0700, Winston_Smith wrote:
>
>>>Looks are everything in today's world. I could trick out my Ruger
>>>10-22 to look like an AR. In fact, a .22LR AR-look-alike is a common
>>>item in any gun store today. Diane and her friends don't understand
>>>guns, don't want to soil their psyche by learning about the evil
>>>things, so they just go by what it looks like.
>
> Neatly shifting the thread from the left's misuse of the term "assault
> rifle" for intentional political deception -- Ed asks:
>
>>Ask yourself why so many mass killers are using AR look-alike rifles,
>>rather than Mini 14s, and the answer will soon become obvious.

1) because AR-15 and their look-alikes constitute a massive number of rifles
2) Because many Mini 14's can be included with the category of 'AR-15
look-alikes'
3) Likewise a lot of non-assault weapons can be included in the category of
'AR-15 look-alikes'.
4) Paint or put a black stock on almost any carbine length rifle and you
have an 'AR-15 look-alike'.

So such a discovery is hardly surprising.

Ed Huntress

Nov 10, 2017, 10:47:09 PM11/10/17
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 20:23:39 -0500, "Scout"
<me4...@removethis.this2.spam.centurylink.net> wrote:

>Piggy Back

>> Neatly shifting the thread from the left's misuse of the term "assault
>> rifle" for intentional political deception -- Ed asks:
>>
>>>Ask yourself why so many mass killers are using AR look-alike rifles,
>>>rather than Mini 14s, and the answer will soon become obvious.
>
>1) because AR-15 and their look-alikes constitute a massive number of rifles

Current estimates range from 6 to 10 million. In 2009, the
Congressional Research Service repoted 110 million rifles overall.

So ARs are chosen by mass killers in a ratio to other rifles of at
least 10:1; likely, several times that ratio.

>2) Because many Mini 14's can be included with the category of 'AR-15
>look-alikes'

Nope. Not even close.

>3) Likewise a lot of non-assault weapons can be included in the category of
>'AR-15 look-alikes'.

Nope.

>4) Paint or put a black stock on almost any carbine length rifle and you
>have an 'AR-15 look-alike'.

But nobody does.

>So such a discovery is hardly surprising.

It doesn't surprise me.They're the appropriate weapon if you want to
murder a lot of people. They even look the part.

Winston_Smith

Nov 10, 2017, 11:23:22 PM11/10/17
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 22:47:01 -0500, Ed Huntress> wrote:
>On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 20:23:39 -0500, "Scout"wrote:

>>1) because AR-15 and their look-alikes constitute a massive number of rifles
>
>Current estimates range from 6 to 10 million. In 2009, the
>Congressional Research Service repoted 110 million rifles overall.

>So ARs are chosen by mass killers in a ratio to other rifles of at
>least 10:1; likely, several times that ratio.

From which we conclude:

1. There are 10 million mass killers out there.
2. Everyone who buys an AR-15 is a mass killer.

Amazing what one can learn from a liberal's statistics.

>It doesn't surprise me.They're the appropriate weapon if you want to
>murder a lot of people. They even look the part.

Don't forget my Ruger 10-22. A couple tens of dollars for some clip on
plastic parts and I'd be all set to be a mass killer. Thank all the
gods of the seven known universes that I'm too cheap to buy
non-functional plastic junk.

Amazing what one can learn from a liberals.

Scout

Nov 11, 2017, 12:47:38 AM11/11/17

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 22:47:01 -0500, Ed Huntress> wrote:
>>On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 20:23:39 -0500, "Scout"wrote:
>
>>>1) because AR-15 and their look-alikes constitute a massive number of
>>>rifles
>>
>>Current estimates range from 6 to 10 million.

I would like to see the source those estimates. They seem a bit low to me,
given the number produced and the length of time they have been produced.
Colt alone was turning out 825,000 in 2012, and production has only
increased since then.

>> In 2009, the
>>Congressional Research Service repoted 110 million rifles overall.
>
>>So ARs are chosen by mass killers in a ratio to other rifles of at
>>least 10:1; likely, several times that ratio.

I would like to see your numbers to support that claim.

And let's not forget you also asserted 'look-alikes' as well, which seems
pretty ambiguous and vague.

> From which we conclude:
>
> 1. There are 10 million mass killers out there.
> 2. Everyone who buys an AR-15 is a mass killer.
>
> Amazing what one can learn from a liberal's statistics.

Hmmm.. Divide the number used in mass shootings. Take the remainder and
divide by the total and....

99.999% of all AR-15s are never used in a mass shooting.

>>It doesn't surprise me.They're the appropriate weapon if you want to
>>murder a lot of people. They even look the part.
>
> Don't forget my Ruger 10-22. A couple tens of dollars for some clip on
> plastic parts and I'd be all set to be a mass killer. Thank all the
> gods of the seven known universes that I'm too cheap to buy
> non-functional plastic junk.

Hmm... more people have been killed by a truck.....does it 'look the part'?

> Amazing what one can learn from a liberals.

Yea, apparently appearance decides how lethal something is.

Just Wondering

Nov 11, 2017, 5:28:10 AM11/11/17
On 11/10/2017 3:10 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 11:16:49 -0700, Just Wondering wrote:
>> On 11/10/2017 11:05 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
Not a look-alike.
"Ergonomics: * * * * It’s a freaking AR-15."
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/05/jim-barrett/gun-review-sig-sauer-516-patrol-rifle/

> Ruger AR-556, etc., etc.

Also not a look-alike.
"Ruger is making it easier than ever for people to get into the AR-15
platform without breaking the bank."
http://www.gunsandammo.com/first-look/first-look-ruger-ar-556/#ixzz4y7LOx95T

>> What percent of the total population of mass killers who use AR
>> look-alike rifles?
>
> Over what time period? The trend is that they have become the
> mass-murderers' weapon of choice.

You offer no evidence of that.

>> What good is it for the reader to ask himself?

> To see if he has any sense. Winston picked it up immediately.

A person who asks himself has no sense.

>> You should be asking the killer, only he knows the answer.
>
> Go for it.
>
>> ,
>>> rather than Mini 14s, and the answer will soon become obvious.
>>>
>>> And no, it's not because they're sophisticated gun owners who prefer
>>> the way the bolt locks up on an AR-15, for the sake of engineering
>>> elegance.
>>
>> So you've already interviewed all the mass killers and obtained their
>> explanations for choosing their weapons?
>
> No need to. The pattern is clear.

You offer no evidence of that.

Just Wondering

Nov 11, 2017, 5:32:19 AM11/11/17
The only functional difference I know of is that unless you
put in a smaller gas port bushing, the Mini 14 will eject its
spent brass all over the place, about 30 feet out, so you
wouldn't want to stand to the immediate right of the shooter. :)

Ed Huntress

Nov 11, 2017, 9:58:22 AM11/11/17
You can Google "assault rifle look-alike" and clear your head of
whatever nonsense you're using for a definition. I doubt if there is
anyone here so dumb that he doesn't know what the phrase signifies.

>>> What percent of the total population of mass killers who use AR
>>> look-alike rifles?
>>
>> Over what time period? The trend is that they have become the
>> mass-murderers' weapon of choice.
>
>You offer no evidence of that.

You could find it yourself with a little searching. Again, it's
unlikely there is anyone here so dumb -- or so isolated from the news
-- that he doesn't know the fact.

>>> What good is it for the reader to ask himself?
>
>> To see if he has any sense. Winston picked it up immediately.
>
>A person who asks himself has no sense.

Anyone who thinks that's true has no sense.

>>> You should be asking the killer, only he knows the answer.
>>
>> Go for it.
>>
>>> ,

>>> So you've already interviewed all the mass killers and obtained their
>>> explanations for choosing their weapons?
>>
>> No need to. The pattern is clear.
>
>You offer no evidence of that.

I doubt if there is anyone here so dimwitted that he doesn't recognize
it from the recent historical events.

Ed Huntress

Nov 11, 2017, 10:09:28 AM11/11/17
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 21:23:16 -0700, Winston_Smith
<inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 22:47:01 -0500, Ed Huntress> wrote:
>>On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 20:23:39 -0500, "Scout"wrote:
>
>>>1) because AR-15 and their look-alikes constitute a massive number of rifles
>>
>>Current estimates range from 6 to 10 million. In 2009, the
>>Congressional Research Service repoted 110 million rifles overall.
>
>>So ARs are chosen by mass killers in a ratio to other rifles of at
>>least 10:1; likely, several times that ratio.
>
>From which we conclude:
>
>1. There are 10 million mass killers out there.
>2. Everyone who buys an AR-15 is a mass killer.

Get out your logic book. That's the fallacy of "affirming the
consequent." It's common among right wingers.

>Amazing what one can learn from a liberal's statistics.

You could, if you knew anything about statistics or logic.

>>It doesn't surprise me.They're the appropriate weapon if you want to
>>murder a lot of people. They even look the part.
>
>Don't forget my Ruger 10-22. A couple tens of dollars for some clip on
>plastic parts and I'd be all set to be a mass killer. Thank all the
>gods of the seven known universes that I'm too cheap to buy
>non-functional plastic junk.

But nobody uses tricked-up 10-22s to commit mass murder. That's the
bottom line.

>Amazing what one can learn from a liberals.

I learn a few things from them from time to time. You should try it
more often.

And spend some time with your old logic textbook. It will clear some
cobwebs out of your head.

--
Ed Huntress

RD Sandman

Nov 11, 2017, 10:59:45 AM11/11/17
Ed Huntress <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in
They also work very well on deer. A few went down during deer season
here. Of course, the caliber of the upper was 6.5 Grendel not 5.56.

--

RD Sandman

If you see a bomb technician running....
Do try to keep up with him.

---

Winston_Smith

Nov 11, 2017, 4:57:58 PM11/11/17
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:09:20 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 21:23:16 -0700, Winston_Smith wrote:

>>>They're the appropriate weapon if you want to
>>>murder a lot of people. They even look the part.
>>
>>Don't forget my Ruger 10-22. A couple tens of dollars for some clip on
>>plastic parts and I'd be all set to be a mass killer. Thank all the
>>gods of the seven known universes that I'm too cheap to buy
>>non-functional plastic junk.
>
>But nobody uses tricked-up 10-22s to commit mass murder. That's the
>bottom line.

But, but, but, it would "look the part". Isn't that the test?

Winston_Smith

Nov 11, 2017, 5:08:14 PM11/11/17
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 09:58:11 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 03:28:03 -0700, Just Wondering wrote:

>>Also not a look-alike.
>>"Ruger is making it easier than ever for people to get into the AR-15
>>platform without breaking the bank."
>>http://www.gunsandammo.com/first-look/first-look-ruger-ar-556/#ixzz4y7LOx95T
>
>You can Google "assault rifle look-alike" and clear your head of
>whatever nonsense you're using for a definition. I doubt if there is
>anyone here so dumb that he doesn't know what the phrase signifies.

Let's not forget, there are plenty of .22LR rifles on gun shop racks
that look very convincingly like an AR-15 on first glance. I haven't
noticed one but I'd be real surprised if there aren't .17 rifles that
"look the part". I'm quite certain there are BB and more robust air
guns that "look the part".

"Look alike" is a meaningless term in any discussion of guns. It is a
valid marketing term. It seems to be a workable political term too.

Ed Huntress

Nov 11, 2017, 5:43:30 PM11/11/17
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 09:59:38 -0600, RD Sandman <rdsa...@comcast.net>
wrote:
And if you can't shoot worth a damn, you can have 25 rounds or more to
do the job.

I'm sure it will work, RD. And, as you may know, a gallon of Clorox
will get your limit of trout in no time in a small stream, too.

--
Ed Huntress

Just Wondering

Nov 11, 2017, 5:48:32 PM11/11/17
On 11/11/2017 7:58 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 Just Wondering wrote:

>>> These are the last six mass killings with AR-15s and look-alikes:

>>> Sig-Sauer SIG516,
>>
>> Not a look-alike.
>> "Ergonomics: * * * * It’s a freaking AR-15."
>> http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/05/jim-barrett/gun-review-sig-sauer-516-patrol-rifle/
>>
>>> Ruger AR-556, etc., etc.
>>
>> Also not a look-alike.
>> "Ruger is making it easier than ever for people to get into the AR-15
>> platform without breaking the bank."
>> http://www.gunsandammo.com/first-look/first-look-ruger-ar-556/#ixzz4y7LOx95T
>
> You can Google "assault rifle look-alike" and clear your head of
> whatever nonsense you're using for a definition. I doubt if there is
> anyone here so dumb that he doesn't know what the phrase signifies.

There's your trouble. You're so ignorant about the subject
that you think "AR" stands for "assault rifle" when it actually
is an abbreviation of Armalite.

>>> Over what time period? The trend is that they have become
>>> the mass-murderers' weapon of choice.
>>
>> You offer no evidence of that.
>
> You could find it yourself with a little searching.

Do your own research to prove your claim isn't the bullshit
it appears to be.

Ed Huntress

Nov 11, 2017, 5:57:56 PM11/11/17
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 15:08:07 -0700, Winston_Smith
<inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 09:58:11 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 03:28:03 -0700, Just Wondering wrote:
>
>>>Also not a look-alike.
>>>"Ruger is making it easier than ever for people to get into the AR-15
>>>platform without breaking the bank."
>>>http://www.gunsandammo.com/first-look/first-look-ruger-ar-556/#ixzz4y7LOx95T
>>
>>You can Google "assault rifle look-alike" and clear your head of
>>whatever nonsense you're using for a definition. I doubt if there is
>>anyone here so dumb that he doesn't know what the phrase signifies.
>
>Let's not forget, there are plenty of .22LR rifles on gun shop racks
>that look very convincingly like an AR-15 on first glance. I haven't
>noticed one but I'd be real surprised if there aren't .17 rifles that
>"look the part". I'm quite certain there are BB and more robust air
>guns that "look the part".

But they aren't being used in mass murders, are they? So that's a
meaningless point.

>"Look alike" is a meaningless term in any discussion of guns.

No it's not. As you said yourself, mass killers are using them because
they look baadd, besides being one of the best firearm types for
killing a lot of people in a short time.

> It is a
>valid marketing term. It seems to be a workable political term too.

Right. You know what the term refers to. Steve is just playing dumb,
and I'm sure that everyone here knows it.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress

Nov 11, 2017, 6:00:01 PM11/11/17
That's part of it. The other part is that they be superior to nearly
all other available firearm types for killing lots of people, quickly.

That's what they're about -- killing lots of people, and looking like
they're the right gun for it.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress

Nov 11, 2017, 6:05:05 PM11/11/17
Nope. I know the history of Armalite, and the AR-10, etc., including
the fact that the AR-15 originally was select-fire.

And when someone says "AR look-alike," they're referring to
contemporary military-style service rifles, semiauto.

You know that and everyone else here knows that. You're just arguing
to satisfy some emotional problem you have with the fact.

>>> You offer no evidence of that.
>>
>> You could find it yourself with a little searching.
>
>Do your own research to prove your claim isn't the bullshit
>it appears to be.

I already did. I know the facts, and you do, too. You're just full of
shit.

--
Ed Huntress

Just Wondering

Nov 11, 2017, 7:03:24 PM11/11/17
Most people, when referring to what I think you're referring to, would
simply write AR-15 (which your examples are). If they wanted to refer
to a lookalike, they'd refer to an M-16 lookalike.

>>> You could find it yourself with a little searching.
>>
>> Do your own research to prove your claim isn't the bullshit
>> it appears to be.
>
> I already did. I know the facts, and you do, too.

There is no "trend" among mass murders. Your claim is bullshit.

Winston_Smith

Nov 11, 2017, 8:27:00 PM11/11/17
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 17:57:48 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 15:08:07 -0700, Winston_Smith wrote:

>>Let's not forget, there are plenty of .22LR rifles on gun shop racks
>>that look very convincingly like an AR-15 on first glance. I haven't
>>noticed one but I'd be real surprised if there aren't .17 rifles that
>>"look the part". I'm quite certain there are BB and more robust air
>>guns that "look the part".
>
>But they aren't being used in mass murders, are they? So that's a
>meaningless point.

That's the meaningless corner you have driven yourself to.

If looks are the critical factor, my tricked out 10-22 is fully equal
to an AR-15 as a potential mass murderer's choice of weapon. And it's
way more affordable as a bonus.

OR

If gun functionality is why mass murderer's choose a particular
weapon, appearance is irrelevant.

>>"Look alike" is a meaningless term in any discussion of guns.
>
>No it's not. As you said yourself, mass killers are using them because
>they look baadd, besides being one of the best firearm types for
>killing a lot of people in a short time.

You claim appearance and promptly hedge your bet with function.

>> It is a
>>valid marketing term. It seems to be a workable political term too.
>
>Right. You know what the term refers to. Steve is just playing dumb,
>and I'm sure that everyone here knows it.

I'll let Steve and others speak for themselves. I'm going after your
idea that a guns function is controlled by it's appearance.

Winston_Smith

Nov 11, 2017, 8:36:15 PM11/11/17
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 17:59:53 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 14:57:52 -0700, Winston_Smith wrote:
>>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:09:20 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

>>>But nobody uses tricked-up 10-22s to commit mass murder. That's the
>>>bottom line.
>>
>>But, but, but, it would "look the part". Isn't that the test?
>
>That's part of it. The other part is that they be superior to nearly
>all other available firearm types for killing lots of people, quickly.

This debate started, or at least restarted, with the Las Vegas
shootings.

Quickly is not an issue. He had free licence for 30-45 minutes
depending on what time line seems to suit the sheriff at the moment.

AR-15 is not an issue. He had dozens of guns of a great many types.

It's simply that the left has decided one gun model is the most
vulnerable to their being able to paint it as evil and go after it
first on their longed for march to no guns. After that it will be the
second most evil gun gets promoted to most evil.

Ed Huntress

Nov 11, 2017, 8:50:27 PM11/11/17
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 18:26:53 -0700, Winston_Smith
<inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 17:57:48 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 15:08:07 -0700, Winston_Smith wrote:
>
>>>Let's not forget, there are plenty of .22LR rifles on gun shop racks
>>>that look very convincingly like an AR-15 on first glance. I haven't
>>>noticed one but I'd be real surprised if there aren't .17 rifles that
>>>"look the part". I'm quite certain there are BB and more robust air
>>>guns that "look the part".
>>
>>But they aren't being used in mass murders, are they? So that's a
>>meaningless point.
>
>That's the meaningless corner you have driven yourself to.

I drove myself into? Let's quote from a guy named Winston_Smith:

[Ed]

>>Ask yourself why so many mass killers are using AR look-alike rifles,
>>rather than Mini 14s, and the answer will soon become obvious.

[Winston}

>They are nuts living in a fantasy world. They go with the kool image.

That was YOUR corner, Winston. But you had it right. Now you're
back-tracking. Too bad.

>If looks are the critical factor, my tricked out 10-22 is fully equal
>to an AR-15 as a potential mass murderer's choice of weapon. And it's
>way more affordable as a bonus.

But you just said they go with the "kool image." And you know that
they aren't using tricked-out 10-22s. So you had it right the first
time.

>OR
>
>If gun functionality is why mass murderer's choose a particular
>weapon, appearance is irrelevant.

But if it's a combination of the two, you've hit it right on the head.
They want an effective killing machine, and they want a kool image.
Right? Or did you change your mind?

>>>"Look alike" is a meaningless term in any discussion of guns.
>>
>>No it's not. As you said yourself, mass killers are using them because
>>they look baadd, besides being one of the best firearm types for
>>killing a lot of people in a short time.
>
>You claim appearance and promptly hedge your bet with function.

YOU claimed appearance -- a "kool image." And the comparison was with
Mini-14s. So you already knew we were talking about guns that are
effective for mass murder.

You seem to have forgotten what we were talking about, and what you
said.

>>> It is a
>>>valid marketing term. It seems to be a workable political term too.
>>
>>Right. You know what the term refers to. Steve is just playing dumb,
>>and I'm sure that everyone here knows it.
>
>I'll let Steve and others speak for themselves. I'm going after your
>idea that a guns function is controlled by it's appearance.

As for function, the question was why they go for AR look-alikes
rather than Mini-14s. That's what your "kool image" comment responded
to. Now you're trying to back-track.

Winston_Smith

Nov 11, 2017, 10:21:39 PM11/11/17
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 20:50:19 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 18:26:53 -0700, Winston_Smith wrote:

>YOU claimed appearance -- a "kool image." And the comparison was with
>Mini-14s. So you already knew we were talking about guns that are
>effective for mass murder.

"Image" has a meaning bigger than physical appearance. I was referring
to the whole mystique from the Gun Culture 2.0 brought to us by the
liberal Hollywood producers. That's where the "bad dude" role models
come from too.

You morphed that into "looks like".

A tricked out .22LR "looks like" an AR-15. It has none of the mystique
of it.

>You seem to have forgotten what we were talking about, and what you
>said.

You do morph things around quite a bit.

Just Wondering

Nov 12, 2017, 4:57:57 AM11/12/17
On 11/11/2017 6:26 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 17:57:48 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 15:08:07 -0700, Winston_Smith wrote:
>
>>> Let's not forget, there are plenty of .22LR rifles on gun shop racks
>>> that look very convincingly like an AR-15 on first glance. I haven't
>>> noticed one but I'd be real surprised if there aren't .17 rifles that
>>> "look the part". I'm quite certain there are BB and more robust air
>>> guns that "look the part".
>>
>> But they aren't being used in mass murders, are they? So that's a
>> meaningless point.
>
> That's the meaningless corner you have driven yourself to.
>
> If looks are the critical factor, my tricked out 10-22 is fully equal
> to an AR-15 as a potential mass murderer's choice of weapon. And it's
> way more affordable as a bonus.

A tricked out 10/22 will cost over $600. There are a lot of AR-15s that
sell new for under $600.

Tricked out 10/22:
$200 base price
$ 50 new trigger
$150 precision barrel
$100 new stock
$100 bolt buffer, extended mag release, bolt release, etc.
$600 total

Just Wondering

Nov 12, 2017, 5:10:55 AM11/12/17

!Jones

Nov 12, 2017, 8:28:25 AM11/12/17
x-no-idiots: yes

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 03:10:49 -0700, in talk.politics.guns Just
Wondering <fmh...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> A tricked out .22LR "looks like" an AR-15.
>
>These tricked out 10/22's look nothing like an AR-15.

There you go yet again... JW, you can take off on an unrelated tangent
more quickly than anyone I have ever seen... and I have seen more than
a few.

Jones

--
How's my posting?

Direct Complaints to the Usenet Abuse Hotline:
Please Dial: 1-800-328-7448

!Jones

Nov 12, 2017, 9:16:59 AM11/12/17
x-no-idiots: yes

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 20:21:31 -0700, in talk.politics.guns
Winston_Smith <inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:

>"Image" has a meaning bigger than physical appearance. I was referring
>to the whole mystique from the Gun Culture 2.0 brought to us by the
>liberal Hollywood producers. That's where the "bad dude" role models
>come from too.
>
>You morphed that into "looks like".
>
>A tricked out .22LR "looks like" an AR-15. It has none of the mystique
>of it. You do morph things around quite a bit.

Yes, we do tend to get bogged down in trying to define a prohibited
weapon by what it "looks like".

We'd do better to repeal and replace the second amendment with
meaningful language that specified exactly what arms were protected.
A device isn't necessarily prohibited otherwise; however the
constitution should be more specific as to which "arms" it covers.
When 2A was written, "arms" only meant muzzle-loading muskets with a
cyclic rate of fire at a blazing 2.3 rounds per minute, lethal at 50
feet or so... and a damned annoyance up to a hundred yards. They
should be defined in terms of their chambering function and magazine
(both type and capacity); a weapon's appearance would not be a
criterion.

Further, who or what exactly is/are "the people"? When 2A was
written, there were a lot fewer people and it meant only White
protestant males. Do we now mean *everybody*? ... if so, then we
should say so. Under exactly what conditions is that right suspended?
Our problem is (for example) that definitions of "domestic violence"
tend to vary widely across jurisdictions; exactly what do we mean by
"domestic violence"? This condition leads to inconsistent reporting.
(See also: "Commitment to a mental institution"; exactly what does
that mean?)

Finally, if the bit about the "well regulated militia" is just
meaningless ink that spilled onto the page, let's get rid of it. If
we open the sentence talking about "a well regulated militia", the
readers will think it's all about the militia.

rbowman

Nov 12, 2017, 10:06:25 AM11/12/17
On 11/11/2017 5:03 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
> Most people, when referring to what I think you're referring to, would
> simply write AR-15 (which your examples are). If they wanted to refer
> to a lookalike, they'd refer to an M-16 lookalike.

Or M4gery..

rbowman

Nov 12, 2017, 10:15:21 AM11/12/17
On 11/12/2017 7:16 AM, !Jones wrote:
> We'd do better to repeal and replace the second amendment with
> meaningful language that specified exactly what arms were protected.

Why do you think the pols could reach agreement on what is protected
anymore than the can agree on what should be banned?

Ed Huntress

Nov 12, 2017, 10:35:19 AM11/12/17
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 08:15:32 -0700, rbowman <bow...@montana.com>
wrote:
That's what they do now, but they make it up on their own, without the
guidance of a constitutional amendment.

But you couldn't get very far with a new amendment, anyway. Things
change. Who would have imagined semiautomatic guns with 30-round
magazines?

Our Founders certainly didn't.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins

Nov 12, 2017, 11:05:53 AM11/12/17
"!Jones" <jo...@fobahor.com> wrote in message
> x-no-idiots: yes
>
> When 2A was written, "arms" only meant muzzle-loading muskets with a
> cyclic rate of fire at a blazing 2.3 rounds per minute, lethal at 50
> feet or so... and a damned annoyance up to a hundred yards. They
> should be defined in terms of their chambering function and magazine
> (both type and capacity); a weapon's appearance would not be a
> criterion.

Your arrogance is exceeded only by your ignorance. The British used
the fast-firing Ferguson breechloader as an assault rifle during the
Revolution and a Gatling-type machine gun was patented in 1718.
Warships had been armed with rapid firing breechloading swivel guns to
mow down enemy boarders since ~1400AD.

Perhaps we should rewrite the First to make attacking the
Constitutional rights of others cause for revoking yours.

Jim Wilkins

Nov 12, 2017, 11:46:11 AM11/12/17
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
Have you forgotten Thomas Jefferson? The magazine of his repeater held
20 rounds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle
"The Girandoni air rifle was in service with the Austrian army from
1780 to around 1815. The advantages of a high rate of fire, no smoke
from propellants, and low muzzle report granted it acceptance."

-jsw

max headroom

Nov 12, 2017, 11:59:44 AM11/12/17
In news:9tve0d9bs0718qpnb...@4ax.com, Ed Huntress <hunt...@optonline.net> typed:

> On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 15:08:07 -0700, Winston_Smith <inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:

>>> You can Google "assault rifle look-alike" and clear your head of
>>> whatever nonsense you're using for a definition. I doubt if there is
>>> anyone here so dumb that he doesn't know what the phrase signifies.

>> Let's not forget, there are plenty of .22LR rifles on gun shop racks
>> that look very convincingly like an AR-15 on first glance. I haven't
>> noticed one but I'd be real surprised if there aren't .17 rifles that
>> "look the part". I'm quite certain there are BB and more robust air
>> guns that "look the part".

> But they aren't being used in mass murders, are they? So that's a
> meaningless point.

>> "Look alike" is a meaningless term in any discussion of guns.

> No it's not. As you said yourself, mass killers are using them because
> they look baadd, besides being one of the best firearm types for
> killing a lot of people in a short time.

Better than an AR 10, FN FAL, or Cetme?

Ed Huntress

Nov 12, 2017, 12:28:13 PM11/12/17
I once had a book on the history of air rifles and it was probably in
there, although I don't remember it.

I imagine the 1,800 pump strokes to charge the reservoir was a
discouragement. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

rbowman

Nov 12, 2017, 12:32:25 PM11/12/17
There are many things our founders didn't imagine including a state of
more than 300 million people, many of whom do not share a common
heritage, culture, religion, or language. They did not imagine the
slaves would be freed for the most part or what the ramifications would
be. Washington did arrange for freeing his slaves after the death of he
and his wife. Martha freed them not out of charity but out of the fear
they would revolt and harm her.

They did not imagine a high tech surveillance state although I think
many would approve. An oligarchy was well within their imaginations
though as they laid the framework for it.

I'm not even sure they expected the Constitution to last as long as it
has with a few edits.

Ed Huntress

Nov 12, 2017, 12:40:05 PM11/12/17
And how does a mass killer obtain an AR-10? As for the FN FAL, that
would stand in nicely as an AR look-alike and would be perfectly
suitable for slaughtering lots of people, since it has the firepower
and it has the looks. Likewise, the CETME.

You've got the pattern right, Max: Badass-looking guns, available to
the public, made for killing as many people as possible in the
shortest time. Now the issue becomes how difficult it is for a mass
murderer to get his hands on one. Many of them are easy-peasy
lemon-squeezy.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins

Nov 12, 2017, 1:39:50 PM11/12/17
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
It had its limitations but was effective enough to serve a major
combatant throughout the Napoleonic Wars. Compressed air bypassed the
insoluble problems of flint ignition and black powder fouling. The
first was solved in 1807 with fulminate, the second in 1884 with
smokeless powder. The grudging acceptance of wasting brass instead of
paper for the cartridge case enabled reliable loading mechanisms,
although cruder reloadable metal cases date from the 1300's. Then
those centuries-old ideas for rapid firing weapons suddenly were
practical. Did you ever notice how many hunting rifle designs appeared
between 1890 and 1900?

-jsw

Jim Wilkins

Nov 12, 2017, 1:45:27 PM11/12/17
"rbowman" <bow...@montana.com> wrote in message

> They did not imagine a high tech surveillance state although I think
> many would approve. An oligarchy was well within their imaginations
> though as they laid the framework for it.

Our first ally France soon turned into a fine example of a paranoid
surveillance state.

max headroom

Nov 12, 2017, 1:55:41 PM11/12/17
In news:1b1h0dhb6v152db4l...@4ax.com, Ed Huntress <hunt...@optonline.net> typed:
> And how does a mass killer obtain an AR-10?...

Same way you or I would-- find one for sale, cough up some bucks.

> ... As for the FN FAL, that would stand in nicely as an AR look-alike...

Maybe if we took off our glasses and had a couple of shots of Wild Turkey.

> ... and would be perfectly
> suitable for slaughtering lots of people, since it has the firepower
> and it has the looks. Likewise, the CETME.

More than the AR 15. They're nasty-looking with *more* power than the AR 15, yet undiscovered by the
MSM. Last time I looked, the AK-74 was still cheaper than an AR and the ammo was cheaper, and it's a
scary-looking semi-auto used primarily for plinking.

> You've got the pattern right, Max: Badass-looking guns, available to
> the public, made for killing as many people as possible in the
> shortest time....

Yet they're functionally equivalent to M1As, Mini-14s, or SKSes.

> ... Now the issue becomes how difficult it is for a mass
> murderer to get his hands on one. Many of them are easy-peasy
> lemon-squeezy.

Yup, there are millions of semi-auto rifles in the hands of the public. One was used in Texas last
week to stop a madman.

There are lots of bad-ass looking guns available that can spit lead fast. Obviously, the tool is not
the problem. The wielder is.

Jim Wilkins

Nov 12, 2017, 1:56:29 PM11/12/17
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
Not so long ago it's image was a Mattel toy, suited only for hunting
mice or poodles. Now demonizing it has become politically convenient.
I've noticed that the police armory once crammed with hardly used H&K
MP5s has switched to M4s.

Winston_Smith

Nov 12, 2017, 2:22:09 PM11/12/17
You are comparing a luxury 10-22 with a bargain basement AR. By your
own numbers, 10-22=$200; AR=$600.

A well tricked out quality AR-15 is in the range of $1,500 with exotic
features running it into the $2-3K range. That's for internal quality
like your list. Then you start bolting on attachments.

Winston_Smith

Nov 12, 2017, 2:22:11 PM11/12/17
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 08:16:55 -0600, !Jones wrote:
>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 20:21:31 -0700, Winston_Smith wrote:
>
>>"Image" has a meaning bigger than physical appearance. I was referring
>>to the whole mystique from the Gun Culture 2.0 brought to us by the
>>liberal Hollywood producers. That's where the "bad dude" role models
>>come from too.
>>
>>You morphed that into "looks like".
>>
>>A tricked out .22LR "looks like" an AR-15. It has none of the mystique
>>of it. You do morph things around quite a bit.
>
>Yes, we do tend to get bogged down in trying to define a prohibited
>weapon by what it "looks like".
>
>We'd do better to repeal and replace the second amendment with
>meaningful language that specified exactly what arms were protected.

Muzzle loading muskets with a flash pan ignition. Your suggestion is
like the original income tax. Why you didn't even pay a cent until you
made over $5,000. Nobody but the filthy rich come anywhere close to
that. Clearly only the rich would ever pay it; the average worker
would never be effected. The wonders of time.

>A device isn't necessarily prohibited otherwise; however the
>constitution should be more specific as to which "arms" it covers.
>When 2A was written, "arms" only meant muzzle-loading muskets with a
>cyclic rate of fire at a blazing 2.3 rounds per minute, lethal at 50
>feet or so... and a damned annoyance up to a hundred yards. They
>should be defined in terms of their chambering function and magazine
>(both type and capacity); a weapon's appearance would not be a
>criterion.

Sorry, you are wrong. The second says nothing about firearms. It says
nothing about the modern fetish with specifications. It say "arms".
Swords, knives, bludgeons, pitchforks. Whatever gives a man a
defensive position.

Read the founding fathers papers. Clearly maintaining the right of the
masses to replace their government anytime they felt the need was on
their mind along with the realization exact how hard it had been to
battle a technically advanced government that didn't want to be
replaced.

>Further, who or what exactly is/are "the people"? When 2A was
>written, there were a lot fewer people and it meant only White
>protestant males. Do we now mean *everybody*? ... if so, then we
>should say so. Under exactly what conditions is that right suspended?
>Our problem is (for example) that definitions of "domestic violence"
>tend to vary widely across jurisdictions; exactly what do we mean by
>"domestic violence"? This condition leads to inconsistent reporting.
>(See also: "Commitment to a mental institution"; exactly what does
>that mean?)

Already covered in the Declaration - All men are created equal. Only a
modern politically correct liberal would suspect that excluded women.
Read a few words further and you are enlightened even more "are
endowed by their creator". I guess the left says males are created by
God and female are a lesser creature. "Man" means mankind; human.

>Finally, if the bit about the "well regulated militia" is just
>meaningless ink that spilled onto the page, let's get rid of it. If
>we open the sentence talking about "a well regulated militia", the
>readers will think it's all about the militia.

"Well regulated" means working as in a well regulated clock of that
time. It did not mean what comes out of a bloated government in
Washington today. It certainly didn't call for government regulations
on what people could own.

A standing army was prohibited so clearly the militia was drawn from
the general population. It was also common at that time for everyone
to own a fire arm for food production and it was common for a workman
to provide their own tools.

Don't get trapped (I realize modern liberals want to get trapped) by
modern meanings they have morphed words into. Read it with the
meanings of the day and there are darn few of your loopholes and
conflicts.

Winston_Smith

Nov 12, 2017, 2:22:14 PM11/12/17
I should have written a .22LR can be tricked out to look like an
AR-15. No one says all .22LRs are tricked out the same way or that
they all DO look like that - just can be made to. A great many are.
I'll leave it to others to decide if that's for marketing or to
provide the benefits of a modular platform.

In fact, the platform is being made in many calibers now. But still
when the left wants to demonize evil "assault weapons" they try to
conjure up a military image. That image would limit them to 5.56x45mm
but they don't bother noticing that because it limits their argument.
A good number of actual AR-15s bear precious little relationship to
military weapons other than physical appearance and being a modular
platform. In fact, that's really only one thing since the appearance
is that of a modular platform - a frame you can mount assorted do-dads
on.

Think component stereo. The left wants us to avoid integrated stereos
and keep buying record players, tape recorders, radios, etc, each with
their own built in amplifiers and speakers and none suitable for more
than one limited range of use.

Red Prepper

Nov 12, 2017, 2:31:28 PM11/12/17
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:
> Ask yourself why so many mass killers are using AR look-alike
rifles,
> rather than Mini 14s, and the answer will soon become obvious.

> And no, it's not because they're sophisticated gun owners who prefer
> the way the bolt locks up on an AR-15, for the sake of engineering
> elegance.

> --
> Ed Huntress

It's because there are more of them. The AR-15 is the most popular
and most common rifle in the U.S.

Ask yourself why more people are killed in Ford's than in Mini
Coopers.

Ed Huntress

Nov 12, 2017, 2:37:09 PM11/12/17
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 17:03:20 -0700, Just Wondering
<fmh...@comcast.net> wrote:

>On 11/11/2017 4:04 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 15:48:28 -0700, Just Wondering
>> <fmh...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> There's your trouble. You're so ignorant about the subject
>>> that you think "AR" stands for "assault rifle" when it actually
>>> is an abbreviation of Armalite.
>>
>> Nope. I know the history of Armalite, and the AR-10, etc., including
>> the fact that the AR-15 originally was select-fire.
>>
>> And when someone says "AR look-alike," they're referring to
>> contemporary military-style service rifles, semiauto.
>
>Most people, when referring to what I think you're referring to, would
>simply write AR-15 (which your examples are).

Most people wouldn't know what the hell an AR-15 is. They recognize
those military-style rifles, and they've heard and read the phrase
"Assault rifle look-alike." They don't know what Armalite is, nor
would they care if they did.

> If they wanted to refer
>to a lookalike, they'd refer to an M-16 lookalike.

Most people wouldn't know the difference.

>>> Do your own research to prove your claim isn't the bullshit
>>> it appears to be.
>>
>> I already did. I know the facts, and you do, too.
>
>There is no "trend" among mass murders. Your claim is bullshit.

I don't take kindly to remarks like that, especially since it's likely
that you know perfectly well that YOUR claim is bullshit.

But I'll indulge you this one time. Go here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_shootings_in_the_United_States

Scroll halfway down the page to the list of shootings. Click on the
"Year" column to show the trend. Now scan over at the "Type of
weapon(s) used" column, and look.

Keep in mind that this does not include the killings at Sutherland
Springs. Look back in time. See the trend. If you find that all too
confusing, I'll graph it for you.

Now, since you called my statement "bullshit," I'll tell you what I
think. You're doing one of several things. Either (1) you are too dumb
to count numbers, which I don't think is true; or (2) you are so
isolated from what's happening around the United States to know what's
up, which is possible but not likely; or (3) you know what I said is
right, but you think I'm as lazy as you are about looking it up and
documenting it, and you think I'll just let your fake "news" pass
without comment.

If it's the latter, you have picked the wrong guy. I don't make
statements of fact unless I can back them up.

Don't do it again.

--
Ed Huntress

Red Prepper

Nov 12, 2017, 2:40:23 PM11/12/17
They probably never imagined somebody typing 50 words per minute
either.

Red Prepper

Nov 12, 2017, 2:45:20 PM11/12/17
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 20:16:00 -0500, "Scout"
<me4...@removethis.this2.spam.centurylink.net> wrote:
> "Just Wondering" <fmh...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > On 11/10/2017 11:05 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

terminology -

Ruger

> >> Ask yourself why so many mass killers are using AR look-alike
rifles

> > "So many"? How many is "so many"? What is an "AR look-alike
rifle"? What
> > percent of the total population of mass killers who use AR
look-alike
> > rifles? What good is it for the reader to ask himself? You
should be
> > asking the killer, only he knows the answer.
> > ,
> >> rather than Mini 14s, and the answer will soon become obvious.
> >>
> >> And no, it's not because they're sophisticated gun owners who
prefer
> >> the way the bolt locks up on an AR-15, for the sake of
engineering
> >> elegance.
> >
> > So you've already interviewed all the mass killers and obtained
their
> > explanations for choosing their weapons?

> And one more point....given the shear number of "AR look-alike
rifles" are
> their use in mass killings typical of the number represented within
the body
> of all guns?

> After all, the AR platform, and it's look alikes, is the most
popular rifle
> platform in history.

> I also understand that fords and ford look alikes constitute a lot
of the
> get away vehicles used in heists.

> Maybe we should ban Ford from making automobiles and everyone else
from
> making anything that looks even remotely like any Ford ever
produced?

Wow didn't see your post. I wrote almost the same thing =)

Ed Huntress

Nov 12, 2017, 2:46:26 PM11/12/17
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:46:58 -0800, "max headroom"
Why would he do that, when he can go down to his local gun store and
buy one of the common look-alikes that are on a rack in practically
every gun store in the country?

>> ... As for the FN FAL, that would stand in nicely as an AR look-alike...
>
>Maybe if we took off our glasses and had a couple of shots of Wild Turkey.

Or if we aren't gun nutz and contemporary military-style rifles all
look like the same kind of gun -- like the ones you listed. That would
be most people in the country.

>> ... and would be perfectly
>> suitable for slaughtering lots of people, since it has the firepower
>> and it has the looks. Likewise, the CETME.
>
>More than the AR 15. They're nasty-looking with *more* power than the AR 15, yet undiscovered by the
>MSM. Last time I looked, the AK-74 was still cheaper than an AR and the ammo was cheaper, and it's a
>scary-looking semi-auto used primarily for plinking.

To the average citizen, there is no significant difference. You're
acting like your mass murderer is a connoisseur of military rifles and
would go to some length to get an extra ounce of firepower, or that
he's bargain-hunting for ammo.

That's nutz.

>> You've got the pattern right, Max: Badass-looking guns, available to
>> the public, made for killing as many people as possible in the
>> shortest time....
>
>Yet they're functionally equivalent to M1As, Mini-14s, or SKSes.

Right. But look at what they're using. That's what started this:
Mini-14s are not among today's preferred mass-murder weapons.

>> ... Now the issue becomes how difficult it is for a mass
>> murderer to get his hands on one. Many of them are easy-peasy
>> lemon-squeezy.
>
>Yup, there are millions of semi-auto rifles in the hands of the public. One was used in Texas last
>week to stop a madman.

After the madman killed 26 people. A little late and a dollar short,
eh?

>There are lots of bad-ass looking guns available that can spit lead fast. Obviously, the tool is not
>the problem. The wielder is.

The wielders are using bad-ass-looking guns that spit lead fast.
They're the mass-murder guns of choice, as we've said and documented.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress

Nov 12, 2017, 2:48:35 PM11/12/17
For good reason. Look at what the mass murderers are using.

>I've noticed that the police armory once crammed with hardly used H&K
>MP5s has switched to M4s.

Ask the armorer if it's because the killers are now wearing ballistic
vests.

--
Ed Huntress

Red Prepper

Nov 12, 2017, 3:43:16 PM11/12/17
Thanks for the laugh.

Jim Wilkins

Nov 12, 2017, 4:08:24 PM11/12/17
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
Whatever they can get, gun or truck, pressure cooker or box cutter.
The pooparazzi incite more attention when they focus on firearms.

Drugs cause the most killings, but don't threaten the limo-libs'
cocaine supply, manipulate the blame onto the deplorable rednecks.
Then congratulate yourself for being so tolerant of people who are
different.

Just Wondering

Nov 12, 2017, 5:58:00 PM11/12/17
If that's what you meant, I agree that's what you should have
written. I responded to what you actually wrote.

> In fact, the platform is being made in many calibers now.

Including .22LR, and at a price no more than a 10/22 that's been

Winston_Smith

Nov 12, 2017, 6:50:56 PM11/12/17
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 15:57:53 -0700, Just Wondering wrote:
>On 11/12/2017 12:22 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:

>> In fact, the platform is being made in many calibers now.

You snipped:
No one says all .22LRs are tricked out the same way or that
they all DO look like that - just can be made to. A great many are.

So you could say the same thing.

Winston_Smith

Nov 12, 2017, 7:04:10 PM11/12/17
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 14:46:17 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
>On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:46:58 -0800, "max headroom" wrote:
>>Ed Huntress <hunt...@optonline.net> typed:

>>> ... As for the FN FAL, that would stand in nicely as an AR look-alike...
>>
>>Maybe if we took off our glasses and had a couple of shots of Wild Turkey.
>
>Or if we aren't gun nutz and contemporary military-style rifles all
>look like the same kind of gun -- like the ones you listed. That would
>be most people in the country.

Most automobiles look like on the larger scale. Most TV sets. Most
shovels. Most screwdrivers.

Form follows function. The function you are bitching about is the
modular platform.

>To the average citizen, there is no significant difference.

Which is exactly why the left wing bullshit works so well when they
rant to the press. Ignorance is dangerous. You don't have to be a fan
or even a user of a common product but you should understand the
basics.

>>> You've got the pattern right, Max: Badass-looking guns, available to
>>> the public, made for killing as many people as possible in the
>>> shortest time....

A role model using the iconic tool taught to the weaker minded idiots
by the movies that come from the liberal producers and actors of
Hollywood.

>>Yup, there are millions of semi-auto rifles in the hands of the public. One was used in Texas last
>>week to stop a madman.
>
>After the madman killed 26 people. A little late and a dollar short,
>eh?

Might have been different if some of the worshipers were carrying.

>>There are lots of bad-ass looking guns available that can spit lead fast. Obviously, the tool is not
>>the problem. The wielder is.
>
>The wielders are using bad-ass-looking guns that spit lead fast.
>They're the mass-murder guns of choice, as we've said and documented.

A role model using the iconic tool taught to the weaker minded idiots
by the movies that come from the liberal producers and actors of
Hollywood.

!Jones

Nov 12, 2017, 7:06:23 PM11/12/17
x-no-idiots: yes

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 08:15:32 -0700, in talk.politics.guns rbowman
<bow...@montana.com> wrote:

>Why do you think the pols could reach agreement on what is protected
>anymore than the can agree on what should be banned?

Why not? Have we tried? (Well, can we ever agree on *any* damn thing
today?) The pols will do what they must if we're willing to vote 'em
out of office when they don't.

Under this paradigm, very specific types of weapons are explicitly
protected; others are up to the states. What Montana chooses to allow
probably won't be the same as California or Virginia. Montana may
allow M-16s and the good citizens of San Francisco may do otherwise so
long as both comply with constitutional requirements and federal law.
If federal law prohibits RPGs, then they're illegal in Montana
regardless of state law of constitution. If a particular rifle is
constitutionally protected in Montana, then it's also similarly
protected in San Francisco.

I can't drive up to Montana and buy an M-16 unless I'm a resident of
that fair state.

If you own a protected rifle that is explicitly, then it's protected
in all 50 states... period. If you choose to own an M-16 as a Montana
resident and your company moves you to San Francisco, well... you have
problems, but you knew that when you bought it.

The fastest way to make something be about *nothing* is to try to make
it everything and that's exactly what we have with the current
interpretation of 2A... it's anything, anyplace, any time. We should
be specific.

Jones

--
How's my posting?

Direct Complaints to the Usenet Abuse Hotline:
Please Dial: 1-800-328-7448

Winston_Smith

Nov 12, 2017, 7:11:23 PM11/12/17
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 14:37:01 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

>Most people wouldn't know what the hell an AR-15 is. They recognize
>those military-style rifles, and they've heard and read the phrase
>"Assault rifle look-alike."

Most people read the phrase "assault rifle" because that's all the
press uses.

None of them ARE assault rifles but that's nothing honest journalism
has to mention. No point confusing the stupid readers and spoiling the
evil gun narrative.

If it's a hand gun, it's an "automatic weapon".

If he had a couple boxes of ammo at home (worthless to him at the
crime scene) it's an arsenal.

If you get your education from liberal news outlets, you have a very
faulty understanding of a great many things.

It is loading more messages.