Screwdrivers in carry-on luggage.

rangerssuck

Jun 18, 2016, 11:17:44 AM6/18/16
So, the official word is that you can put a screwdriver in your luggage if it's less than or equal to 7 inches in length. I want to bring a Milwaukee 11-in-1 screwdriver that, assembled, just exceeds 7 inches.

If I disassemble it, though, even just pulling out the main screwdriver tip, it's comfortably under seven inches.

Do you think they'll let me bring it on like that?

It's a ridiculous question, I know, it's not like you couldn't do plenty of damage with a smaller screwdriver or no damage at all with a larger one, but I'd just as soon not make a gift of this tool to the TSA agent.

dpb

Jun 18, 2016, 11:44:04 AM6/18/16
On 06/18/2016 10:17 AM, rangerssuck wrote:

...[TSA discussion elided for brevity]...

> Do you think they'll let me bring it on like that?

What anybody here thinks is immaterial, it's what the particular TSA
agent decides that's going to control.

You could try to get a determination directly first, but don't know
you'll get a definitive answer you can use for any given try to get thru
the system...

I'm surely glad I gave up service calls before traveling got to be such
a hassle; getting a kit thru to be able to do anything would be a
nightmare it seems.

rangerssuck

Jun 18, 2016, 11:51:56 AM6/18/16
You can always check a bag or ship stuff ahead (which I did on the last trip). I was just wondering if anyone had any direct experience.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jun 18, 2016, 12:18:05 PM6/18/16
A number of years back my "tool kit" flew with the captain in the
cockpit as a coutesy because if it was lost in checked luggage the
entire day-trip would have been a waste - and the repair was critical.

pyotr filipivich

Jun 18, 2016, 1:52:24 PM6/18/16
dpb <no...@non.net> on Sat, 18 Jun 2016 10:44:01 -0500 typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
>On 06/18/2016 10:17 AM, rangerssuck wrote:
>
>...[TSA discussion elided for brevity]...
>
>> Do you think they'll let me bring it on like that?
>
>What anybody here thinks is immaterial, it's what the particular TSA
>agent decides that's going to control.

Considering that I could not "carry on" a screw driver onto a
Lufthansa flight in 1978 - I'm afraid the answer is "nope". They did
have it travel in the cockpit with the crew, and I got it back when we
arrived in the States.

>You could try to get a determination directly first, but don't know
>you'll get a definitive answer you can use for any given try to get thru
>the system...
>
>I'm surely glad I gave up service calls before traveling got to be such
>a hassle; getting a kit thru to be able to do anything would be a
>nightmare it seems.

FedEx the kit, or drive.

DHS & TSA have done wonders for the roadside services industry
(fast food, gas stops and service stations.) Too bad about the
increased death on the highway, but hey, its a small price to pay for
having federally mandated fondling in airports.
--
pyotr filipivich

Tim Wescott

Jun 18, 2016, 4:20:01 PM6/18/16
I always have at least one piece of checked baggage so that I can have my
pocketknife with me when I get to my destination. Were it me, that's
where the screwdriver would go, too.

The whole TSA thing is just official-dumb saying "look! we're doing
something!"

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!

Gunner Asch

Jun 18, 2016, 5:31:45 PM6/18/16
I got tired of running into these problems when I fly to service
calls. I have too solutions. Either 1. make the client supply a
private jet, or 2. make him provide 11 screwdrivers of my choice when
I get to the job. So far all my clients have chosen option 1 which
suits me because I like to wear my tux when travelling. <shrug>

Gunner (posting from my new mobile office)

"I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe
and what I believe -- I believe what I believe is right."

mog...@hotmail.com

Jun 18, 2016, 5:49:11 PM6/18/16
On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 11:44:04 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
> On 06/18/2016 10:17 AM, rangerssuck wrote:
>
> ...[TSA discussion elided for brevity]...
>
> > Do you think they'll let me bring it on like that?
>
> What anybody here thinks is immaterial, it's what the particular TSA
> agent decides that's going to control.

No. None of that airport stuff should affect you at all. People in authority do the exact opposite of what they see in the bible just to get back at society. So when they see Africans in the bible, like Jeremiah 13:23. The police try only to give them a hard time, not any of you. The bible doesn't mention giving anyone else a hard time like that.

rangerssuck

Jun 18, 2016, 6:35:33 PM6/18/16
On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 4:20:01 PM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 08:17:40 -0700, rangerssuck wrote:
>
> > So, the official word is that you can put a screwdriver in your luggage
> > if it's less than or equal to 7 inches in length. I want to bring a
> > Milwaukee 11-in-1 screwdriver that, assembled, just exceeds 7 inches.
> >
> > If I disassemble it, though, even just pulling out the main screwdriver
> > tip, it's comfortably under seven inches.
> >
> > Do you think they'll let me bring it on like that?
> >
> > It's a ridiculous question, I know, it's not like you couldn't do plenty
> > of damage with a smaller screwdriver or no damage at all with a larger
> > one, but I'd just as soon not make a gift of this tool to the TSA agent.
>
> I always have at least one piece of checked baggage so that I can have my
> pocketknife with me when I get to my destination. Were it me, that's
> where the screwdriver would go, too.

And were it me, on at least one occasion, my screwdriver would have gone to Chicago without me, but that was one particularly hellish day.

> The whole TSA thing is just official-dumb saying "look! we're doing
> something!"

Indeed it is. I wonder how many attacks have actually been prevented. And, what ever happened to the good old days when you just got hijacked to Cuba?

rangerssuck

Jun 18, 2016, 6:38:56 PM6/18/16
When I get there, I will take a trip to Lowes and pick up another Milwaukee or Klein.

If this becomes the regular job that it appears to be moving towards, I will bring down a tool chest of my own. And rather than a private jet, I'm thinking about demanding a helicopter to/from the airport which is an hour's drive away from the plant.

Gunner Asch

Jun 18, 2016, 7:00:56 PM6/18/16
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 15:38:54 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
<range...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 5:31:45 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 08:17:40 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
>> <range...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >So, the official word is that you can put a screwdriver in your luggage if it's
>> > less than or equal to 7 inches in length. I want to bring a Milwaukee
>> > 11-in-1 screwdriver that, assembled, just exceeds 7 inches.
>> >
>> >If I disassemble it, though, even just pulling out the main screwdriver
>> > tip, it's comfortably under seven inches.
>> >
>> >Do you think they'll let me bring it on like that?
>> >
>> >It's a ridiculous question, I know, it's not like you couldn't
>> >do plenty of damage with a smaller screwdriver or no damage
>> > at all with a larger one, but I'd just as soon not make a gift of
>> >this tool to the TSA agent.
>>
>> I got tired of running into these problems when I fly to service
>> calls. I have too solutions. Either 1. make the client supply a
>> private jet, or 2. make him provide 11 screwdrivers of my choice when
>> I get to the job. So far all my clients have chosen option 1 which
>> suits me because I like to wear my tux when travelling. <shrug>
>>
>> Gunner (posting from my new mobile office)
>>
>> "I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe
>> and what I believe -- I believe what I believe is right."
>
>When I get there, I will take a trip to Lowes and pick up another Milwaukee or Klein.

I wish it was so easy for me. Unfortunately my screwdriver of choice
is forged frm Valyrian steel and they don't stock that Lows. <shrug>

>If this becomes the regular job that it appears to be moving towards, I will bring down
> a tool chest of my own. And rather than a private jet, I'm thinking about demanding
> a helicopter to/from the airport which is an hour's drive away from the plant.

Helicopters worked well for me until a dark day in SEA when I was shot
down on my way to liberate a certain embassy that I can't talk about
in public. <evil grin> Sufface to say that everytime my ex turns on
the blender I pull out my peice and shout Uukhai! (don't ask why) Your
very mention of the word helicopter gives me the creeps and I will
ahve to engage in some self flagellation to drive the thought out of
my mind. Fortunately I keep several tools for that close at hand.
<VBG>

Gunner (posting from my new mobile office)

“You cannot be president of the United States if you don’t have
faith. Remember Lincoln, going to his knees in times of trial and the
Civil War and all that stuff. You can’t be. And we are blessed. So
don’t feel sorry for — don’t cry for me, Argentina.”

Larry Jaques

Jun 18, 2016, 8:18:03 PM6/18/16
Try doing that today. <g>

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin

Gunner Asch

Jun 18, 2016, 8:25:22 PM6/18/16
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 14:31:54 -0700, Gunner Asch
<gunne...@lightspeed.net> wrote:

>From: Gunner Asch <gunne...@lightspeed.net>
>Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
>Subject: Re: Screwdrivers in carry-on luggage.
>Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 14:31:54 -0700

Tim Wescott

Jun 19, 2016, 11:20:36 PM6/19/16
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 15:35:30 -0700, rangerssuck wrote:

>> The whole TSA thing is just official-dumb saying "look! we're doing
>> something!"
>
> Indeed it is. I wonder how many attacks have actually been prevented.
> And, what ever happened to the good old days when you just got hijacked
> to Cuba?

The notion of hijacking an aircraft to use it as a giant fuel bomb is, in
my opinion, a stroke of genius. Evil genius, from my point of view, but
as a method of turning the enemy's resources against them it's brilliant,
and turning the enemy's resources against them is what guerrilla warfare
is about.

We may see the "Hijack a plane to Cuba" thing again, but the September 11
hijackings really upped the ante -- before that, the worst that could
happen is a lot worse than a plane full of people getting shot one by
one; now, the worst that could happen is that a building full of people
could die in flames.

Personally, I think that any post-9-11 hijacking attempt is going to end
the way that the 5th 9-11 airplane did: the passengers will realize that
the stakes are a lot bigger than their own lives, and they -- or at least
a substantial fraction of them -- will swarm the hijackers regardless of
the personal consequences. The reason it didn't happen in the first four
was because people simply did not realize that they were involved in a
distinctly new kind of hijacking, and were following the old rules.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested

Gunner Asch

Jun 20, 2016, 1:26:50 PM6/20/16
On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 22:20:29 -0500, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com>
wrote:

>Personally, I think that any post-9-11 hijacking attempt is going to end
>the way that the 5th 9-11 airplane did: the passengers will realize that
>the stakes are a lot bigger than their own lives, and they -- or at least
>a substantial fraction of them -- will swarm the hijackers regardless of
>the personal consequences. The reason it didn't happen in the first four
>was because people simply did not realize that they were involved in a
>distinctly new kind of hijacking, and were following the old rules.

There have been dozens, if not more, hijacking attempts since
9-11...virtually all ending up badly for the hijacker(s)

Airplane hijackings have been noted going back to the beginning of the
20th century......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_hijackings

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2012/04/fifty-terror-plots-foiled-since-9-11-the-homegrown-threat-and-the-long-war-on-terrorism

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/17/united-airlines-flight-1074-bomb-video_n_6884580.html

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/07/03/overpowered-passengers-beat-two-hijackers-to-death-on-chinese-flight/

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95735

etc etc.

Vic Contino

Jun 20, 2016, 1:48:39 PM6/20/16
On 6/20/2016 10:22 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 22:20:29 -0500, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Personally, I think that any post-9-11 hijacking attempt is going to end
>> the way that the 5th 9-11 airplane did: the passengers will realize that
>> the stakes are a lot bigger than their own lives, and they -- or at least
>> a substantial fraction of them -- will swarm the hijackers regardless of
>> the personal consequences. The reason it didn't happen in the first four
>> was because people simply did not realize that they were involved in a
>> distinctly new kind of hijacking, and were following the old rules.
>
> There have been dozens, if not more, hijacking attempts since
> 9-11...virtually all ending up badly for the hijacker(s)

You can't name a single one of them, of course, so your "dozens...if not
more" is pure bullshit, as always - just like 264mph motorcycle ride.

Gunner Asch

Jun 20, 2016, 2:03:20 PM6/20/16
On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 10:48:38 -0700, Vic Contino
<kicccck.w...@all.the.time> wrote:

>On 6/20/2016 10:22 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 22:20:29 -0500, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Personally, I think that any post-9-11 hijacking attempt is going to end
>>> the way that the 5th 9-11 airplane did: the passengers will realize that
>>> the stakes are a lot bigger than their own lives, and they -- or at least
>>> a substantial fraction of them -- will swarm the hijackers regardless of
>>> the personal consequences. The reason it didn't happen in the first four
>>> was because people simply did not realize that they were involved in a
>>> distinctly new kind of hijacking, and were following the old rules.
>>
>> There have been dozens, if not more, hijacking attempts since
>> 9-11...virtually all ending up badly for the hijacker(s)
>
>You can't name a single one of them, of course, so your "dozens...if not
>more" is pure bullshit, as always - just like 264mph motorcycle ride.

Tsk tsk...I named a number of them below..which of course you were too
lazy to read..and then decided to be the fuckwit and post a "snappy
response" which ultimately shows you to be a True Fuckwit.

I love it when you shoot yourself in the foot so clearly and
foolishly.

(VBG)

Vic Contino

Jun 20, 2016, 2:47:43 PM6/20/16
On 6/20/2016 10:59 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 10:48:38 -0700, Vic Contino
> <kicccck.w...@all.the.time> wrote:
>
>> On 6/20/2016 10:22 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

>>> There have been dozens, if not more, hijacking attempts since
>>> 9-11...virtually all ending up badly for the hijacker(s)
>>
>> You can't name a single one of them, of course, so your "dozens...if not
>> more" is pure bullshit, as always - just like 264mph motorcycle ride.
>
> Tsk tsk...I named a number of them below..

You didn't identify a single one, fuckwit. Remember: you specifically
said hijacking attempts, not generic "terrorist plots".

Gunner Asch

Jun 20, 2016, 6:41:16 PM6/20/16
<kicccck.w...@all.the.time> wrote:

>On 6/20/2016 10:22 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 22:20:29 -0500, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Personally, I think that any post-9-11 hijacking attempt is going to end
>>> the way that the 5th 9-11 airplane did: the passengers will realize that
>>> the stakes are a lot bigger than their own lives, and they -- or at least
>>> a substantial fraction of them -- will swarm the hijackers regardless of
>>> the personal consequences. The reason it didn't happen in the first four
>>> was because people simply did not realize that they were involved in a
>>> distinctly new kind of hijacking, and were following the old rules.
>>
>> There have been dozens, if not more, hijacking attempts since
>> 9-11...virtually all ending up badly for the hijacker(s)
>
>You can't name a single one of them, of course, so your "dozens...if not
>more" is pure bullshit, as always - just like 264mph motorcycle ride.
>
>> Airplane hijackings have been noted going back to the beginning of the
>> 20th century......
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_hijackings
>>
>> http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2012/04/fifty-terror-plots-foiled-since-9-11-the-homegrown-threat-and-the-long-war-on-terrorism
>>
>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/17/united-airlines-flight-1074-bomb-video_n_6884580.html
>>
>> http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/07/03/overpowered-passengers-beat-two-hijackers-to-death-on-chinese-flight/

Overpowered’: Passengers Beat 2 ‘Hijackers’ to Death on Chinese Flight
Jul. 3, 2012 2:08pm Jason Howerton

Passengers Beat Two Plane Hijackers to Death on Chinese Flight

The moral of this story is: Don’t try to hijack a plane in China.

Two would-be plane hijackers were beaten to death by passengers and
crew aboard a flight bound for the regional Chinese capital of Urumqi
on Friday, The Global Times reports. The men died in the hospital from
the injuries they suffered at the hands of those whom they thought
would be their victims.

There were a total of six men involved in the foiled plot to hijack
the Tianjin Airlines flight. All of the men were reportedly Uyghurs, a
local Muslim ethnic minority.

Less than 10 minutes after the plane took off from Hotan airport in
southwest Xinjiang, China at 12:25 a.m., the men, aged 20 to 36,
announced their intentions to horrified passengers and attempted to
storm the cockpit using a “broken crutch” made of aluminum as a
weapon.

But before they could get to the cockpit, they were tackled by
passengers and crew members who tied them up with belts and restrained
them until the plane made it back to the airport about 20 minutes
later. There were reportedly 92 passengers and 9 crew members on the
flight.
Passengers Beat Two Plane Hijackers to Death on Chinese Flight

(Source: News.com.au)

“All six of the hijackers were ethnically Uyghur, and they tried to
break into the cockpit using a broken crutch as a weapon, but were
overpowered by passengers and crew,” Hou Hanmin, chief of the regional
information office, confirmed to the Global Times.

Hanmin also said the investigation is ongoing and it’s unclear whether
the men were part of a larger terrorist group. However, police are
still examining materials the suspects were carrying, believed to be
explosives.

At least seven people were injured in the scuffle with the hijackers.
The remaining four suspects, who were lucky to escape with their
lives, are currently in police custody.

The Global Times has more details:

Li Wei, director of the Institute of Security and Strategic
Studies at the Beijing-based China Institutes of Contemporary
International Relations, told the Global Times that, judging by the
nature of the hijack, it was a terrorist attack.

“The hijackers adopted violent measures to threaten the lives of
civilians and their intentions are also suspicious since we’re coming
up to July 5, the third anniversary of the riots in Xinjiang,” Li
said. “The successful frustration of this terrorist plot proves that
airport security is very important and that it’s also vital for the
crew members and passengers to act quickly.”

Authorities have reportedly started house-to-house inspections in
Hotan city after an illegal madrassa holding 54 children was raided
earlier in June.

“Separatists in Xinjiang are trying to make some noise before the
opening of the 18th National Congress of Communist Party of China on
the meeting of WUC in Tokyo. It shows that the hijack and other
serious terrorist attacks in southern Xinjiang are motivated by exile
groups overseas and the connection is close and underground,” Li said.

At least 12 people were killed during terrorist attacks at the end
of February, Xinhua reported.

Xinjiang officials participating in China’s annual parliamentary
session in March stressed their determination to fight terrorism.

Dilxat Raxit, a spokesman for the German-based World Uyghur Congress,
argues that the incident was only a fight over a seat dispute, not a
hijacking attempt, according to News.com.au.

“We warn China not to use this incident as another excuse for
crackdown,” he said in a statement.

Two of the four living suspects are reportedly being treated in a
local hospital after mutilating themselves.

>> http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95735

Raging Teen Passenger Killed on Plane

By ABC News

S A L T L A K E C I T Y, Sept 16

39 Shares
Email

A passenger who tried to break into the cockpit during a Southwest
Airlines flight was killed by other passengers who restrained him and
not by a heart attack, an autopsy has concluded.

The U.S. Attorney’s office, however, will not file criminal charges,
saying Jonathan Burton’s Aug. 11 death was merely an act of
self-defense by frightened passengers.

Burton, 19, of Las Vegas, became combative 20 minutes before Flight
1763 was due to land, hitting other passengers and pounding on the
locked cockpit door.

As many as eight of the plane’s 120 passengers subdued him.

Burton died after being removed from the plane. Authorities believed
he had died of a heart attack.

Traces of Marijuana

The autopsy report classified his death a homicide because it resulted
from “intentional actions by another individual or individuals.”

The report, released by Burton’s family, said he suffocated. He also
had contusions and abrasions on his torso, face and neck, and suffered
other blunt force injuries.

“He was strangled, beaten and kicked,” said family attorney Kent
Spence. “We’d like to know how this could have happened to this young
man. This kid had no history of violence, he would sooner take a
spider outside than kill it.”

The autopsy found low levels of marijuana in Burton’s tissues, but
said that was an “unlikely explanation” for his violent outburst.

Air Rage Takes Off

The family has not decided whether to pursue a lawsuit against
Southwest Airlines or the passengers, Spence said.

The outburst occurred as federal officials report a dramatic increase
in air-rage incidents nationwide. Statistics from the Federal Aviation
Administration showed 292 incidents of “unruly passengers” last year,
up from 138 in 1995.

The FAA can recommend fines of up to $25,000 for airline passengers
who “assault, threaten, intimidate or interfere with a crew member.”

>> etc etc.

Now will you be committing seppuku or simply bare your ass, stick a
carrot up your rectum and try to hide your shame?

Vic Contino

Jun 20, 2016, 8:58:56 PM6/20/16
You've only got 23 to go to get to your "dozens." Get going, cuntflaps.

Gunner Asch

Jun 20, 2016, 10:28:31 PM6/20/16
So you admitted to having lied yet again....

"You can't name a single one of them, of course, "

And then I give you two clear ones..and you deny and call it only
(1)...which simply shows you didnt bother to read any of the articles
I posted...which included more than 2 dozen. (VBG)

You are such a pile of muck....Laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rudy Canoza

Jun 21, 2016, 2:46:08 AM6/21/16
On 6/20/2016 7:24 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 17:58:55 -0700, Vic Contino
> <kicccck.w...@all.the.time> wrote:
>
>> You can't name a single one of them, of course, so your "dozens...if not

>>> Overpowered’: Passengers Beat 2 ‘Hijackers’ to Death on Chinese Flight
>>> Jul. 3, 2012 2:08pm Jason Howerton
>>>
>>> Passengers Beat Two Plane Hijackers to Death on Chinese Flight
>>
>> You've only got 23 to go to get to your "dozens." Get going, cuntflaps.
>
> So I admitted to having lied yet again....

Yes.

Chris Jones

Jun 21, 2016, 8:55:10 AM6/21/16
On 20/06/2016 13:20, Tim Wescott wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 15:35:30 -0700, rangerssuck wrote:
>
>>> The whole TSA thing is just official-dumb saying "look! we're doing
>>> something!"
>>
>> Indeed it is. I wonder how many attacks have actually been prevented.
>> And, what ever happened to the good old days when you just got hijacked
>> to Cuba?
>
> The notion of hijacking an aircraft to use it as a giant fuel bomb is, in
> my opinion, a stroke of genius. Evil genius, from my point of view, but
> as a method of turning the enemy's resources against them it's brilliant,
> and turning the enemy's resources against them is what guerrilla warfare
> is about.

The idea was mentioned in this book, iirc:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trigger

Larry Jaques

Jun 21, 2016, 11:16:12 AM6/21/16
On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 19:24:08 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:
"Of course I've stopped replying to them." he said...

--
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives
the test first, the lesson afterwards.

Gunner Asch

Jun 21, 2016, 11:25:52 AM6/21/16
Yeah but you know how much I lie so why do you think that statement
was any different? Anyway, fuck off Larry. I'll reply to anybody I
want. And you reply to them all the time!

Gunner (posting from my new mobile office)

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."