Trump's IQ

Jim Wilkins

Jul 10, 2016, 9:29:38 AM7/10/16
Although he's the nominal subject the article is valuable for its
analysis of intelligent, creative, self-actualizing personalities in
general.
http://beforeitsnews.com/opinion-conservative/2015/08/donald-trump-is-a-genius-but-thats-just-his-iq-3038790.html

--jsw

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 10, 2016, 9:38:37 AM7/10/16
From the above article:

" They have a strong ethical sense.

Although their notions of right and wrong are often unconventional,
self-actualizers, nonetheless almost always know the ethical
implications of their own actions.

Right and wrong (good and evil) are part of every decision Donald
makes.

· They tend to accept democratic values.

Self-actualizers do not respond to individuals on the basis of race,
status or religion. They can be and are friendly with anyone of
suitable character regardless of class, education, political belief,
race or color. As a matter of fact, it often seems as if they are not
even aware of these differences,which are for the average person so
obvious and important.

Donald is as likely to treat his chauffeur or secretary as equitably
as CEOs or politicians.

· They tend to identify with all of mankind.

The concerns that self-actualizers have for other people do not extend
only to their friends and family, but to all people in all cultures
throughout the world. This feeling of brotherhood extends also to
individuals who are aggressive, inconsiderate, or otherwise foolish.
Self-actualizers have a genuine desire to help the human race.

Donald consistently shows a universality of concern for all people."

Methinks they are looking at a different Donald.

Donald J. Trump

Jul 10, 2016, 10:32:58 AM7/10/16
On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 09:30:30 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

That was a very very good and excellent article. I liked this part
"Donald consistently shows a universality of concern for all people."
That's why the Mexicans and the blacks and the women like me so much.
Mensa? Been there, done that. I was asked to join Mensa, but didnt
(proves Im smart). Certainly not the same Mensa that I belonged to.

DJT

"What do I know about it? All I know is what's on the internet."

Jim Wilkins

Jul 10, 2016, 12:33:55 PM7/10/16
<cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote in message
He's a showman with a highly developed public persona. I've put up
with demanding Broadway actors and once worked for this powerful
entrepreneur who had an equally fearsome reputation for firing anyone
who slightly displeased him:
http://gideongartner.com/2010/05/entrepreneur-extraordinaire-robert-howard/

In person Trump comes off as a bulldozer, by far the most Alpha Male
in the room, a natural leader who is instantly in charge and a prime
example of the military's conditioning to do -something- immediately
in a crisis rather than to deliberate on what the best possible
response might be, and surrender the initiative. The rest of the time
Congress can argue the choices.

In contrast you might not notice Graham, Kasich or McCain enter the
room. Bush was closer to Trump but more restrained. You don't get this
aspect of their personalities at all from television coverage of them.

I can't tell whether he blows off and then forgets insults or lets
them fester. His Twitter posts suggest he's learned not to hold
grudges that would interfere with his dealings.

I look for how well the candidates adapt to frustration and setbacks,
a test Obama and Kerry flunked with the "Line in the Sand" fiasco; the
only line they left was a trail of piddle marking our retreat. They
narrowmindedly assumed success and had no fallback plan. Trump thinks
fast (if not well) on his feet and seems able to resume the dance
after he trips.

My biggest unanswered question with him is how well he takes good
advice he may not like.

Just ignore the Media's toxic view of him. They can't tolerate egos
bigger than their own. Watch how desperately they try to dominate
interviews with potential world leaders rather than listen to them.

--jsw

Ignoramus26613

Jul 10, 2016, 3:44:51 PM7/10/16
I started reading the article, and I find it so nonsensical that I
wonder whether this is a subtly veiled press trolling and not a
serious attempt at journalism.

The author mentions that when Trump was admitted to Wharton, IQ could
be derived from SAT scores. OK, perhaps. He does not actually provide
Trump's SAT score. Then he says that only from the fact that Trump was
admitted, he must have his IQ score of 156, vaguely referring to
Wharton's cutoff SAT scores.

I refuse to believe that Wharton cutoff scores would weed out anyone
with IQ below 156, or 0.01% of the population, as the article says. It
is impossible, because it would not give them enough candidates.

Let's see, right now the US has about 300,000,000 population and
probably about 3,000,000 graduate from high school each year. At 0.01% (one out
of 10,000) it means that only about 300 lucky students have IQ above
that threshold.

These 300 uniquely gifted students have plenty of choices where to
apply, or not to apply to anything and become hyper successful without
wasting four years in a college, surrounded by much more ordinary
beings.

To assume that enough of those people would fill Wharton's ranks is
nothing short of funny.

I do not want to say it, but I must say that it is another dumbassed
Republican troll.

I hate Hillary with all my heart, and dislike Trump to a much lesser
extent, but articles this stupid insult my intelligence, although my
IQ is much less than 156.

What is that beforeitsnews website?

Oh shit I was had

Jim Wilkins

Jul 10, 2016, 5:07:38 PM7/10/16
"Ignoramus26613" <ignoram...@NOSPAM.26613.invalid> wrote in
message news:B6qdnRYYIK0wOB_K...@giganews.com...
> On 2016-07-10, Jim Wilkins <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Although he's the nominal subject the article is valuable for its
>> analysis of intelligent, creative, self-actualizing personalities
>> in
>> general.
>> http://beforeitsnews.com/opinion-conservative/2015/08/donald-trump-is-a-genius-but-thats-just-his-iq-3038790.html
>
> I started reading the article, and I find it so nonsensical that I
> wonder whether this is a subtly veiled press trolling and not a
> serious attempt at journalism.
>
> The author mentions that when Trump was admitted to Wharton, IQ
> could
> be derived from SAT scores. OK, perhaps. He does not actually
> provide
> Trump's SAT score. Then he says that only from the fact that Trump
> was
> admitted, he must have his IQ score of 156, vaguely referring to
> Wharton's cutoff SAT scores.

http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/GREIQ.aspx
"It would be expected that a test designed for use in high schools
would not differentiate the upper range of college applicants and this
proved to be the case, although this is not a reflection upon the Otis
test."

"The coefficient of correlation between the Otis test and the Board
test (.7931) means considerable uncertainty in predicting one score
from another."

I took the College Boards several times and my scores bounced around
considerably depending on how I felt that day. Multiple-choice tests
unavoidably measure how much you have learned rather than what you
could create that's completely new, in fact they are rather hostile to
that sort of answer.

Mensa would let you in based on your highest score on any of a range
of tests. They weren't too fussy.

They defined IQ as "a measure of how well you performed on certain
standardized tests." At times it correlated poorly to being employed.

I defined Mensa as a support group for the severely gifted.
--jsw

Ed Huntress

Jul 10, 2016, 5:15:42 PM7/10/16
On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 14:44:45 -0500, Ignoramus26613
<ignoram...@NOSPAM.26613.invalid> wrote:

>On 2016-07-10, Jim Wilkins <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Although he's the nominal subject the article is valuable for its
>> analysis of intelligent, creative, self-actualizing personalities in
>> general.
>> http://beforeitsnews.com/opinion-conservative/2015/08/donald-trump-is-a-genius-but-thats-just-his-iq-3038790.html
>
>I started reading the article, and I find it so nonsensical that I
>wonder whether this is a subtly veiled press trolling and not a
>serious attempt at journalism.
>
>The author mentions that when Trump was admitted to Wharton, IQ could
>be derived from SAT scores. OK, perhaps. He does not actually provide
>Trump's SAT score. Then he says that only from the fact that Trump was
>admitted, he must have his IQ score of 156, vaguely referring to
>Wharton's cutoff SAT scores.

FWIW, Trump is about my age, and I had an SAT/IQ score conversion done
by Mensa a few decades ago. They claimed that SATs of that period
(1966, in my case) correspond very closely to IQ.

But I'm skeptical. I've had Stanford-Binet and Wechsler Adult IQ
tests. The Mensa SAT conversion score was four points above my
Wechsler score, although Wechsler is a very tough score. It also was
eight points above my S-B score. (That my Wechsler score was higher
than S-B also is strange, but I took Wechsler in college, and S-B in
grade school.)

I think the Mensa conversions, from that era at least, were kind of
high.

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner Asch

Jul 10, 2016, 5:33:57 PM7/10/16
On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 09:38:41 -0400, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:

>· They tend to identify with all of mankind.
>
>The concerns that self-actualizers have for other people do not extend
>only to their friends and family, but to all people in all cultures
>throughout the world. This feeling of brotherhood extends also to
>individuals who are aggressive, inconsiderate, or otherwise foolish.
>Self-actualizers have a genuine desire to help the human race.
>

>Donald consistently shows a universality of concern for all people."
>

> Methinks they are looking at a different Donald.

Actually a very interesting article and it looks at some folks from a
direction Ive never paid much attention to. Interesting indeed.

As for Trump, none of us knows him, none of us has ever met him and
none of us have had any long term experience with him.

That is about to change however...we will get to know him for at least
8 yrs. As will the Canadians. It should be a most interesting 8 yrs

Gunner

---

Jim Wilkins

Jul 10, 2016, 6:38:02 PM7/10/16
"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 09:38:41 -0400, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:
>

>>· They tend to identify with all of mankind.
>>
>>The concerns that self-actualizers have for other people do not
>>extend
>>only to their friends and family, but to all people in all cultures
>>throughout the world. This feeling of brotherhood extends also to
>>individuals who are aggressive, inconsiderate, or otherwise foolish.
>>Self-actualizers have a genuine desire to help the human race.
>>

>>Donald consistently shows a universality of concern for all people."
>>

>> Methinks they are looking at a different Donald.
>
> Actually a very interesting article and it looks at some folks from
> direction Ive never paid much attention to. Interesting indeed.

That's why I mentioned it.

Sam Sewell didn't present his raw data, never looked for the
correlation coefficient between SATs and IQ scores and gave far more
decimal places than justified, a major sin to a 'hard' scientist. But
he's a psychotherapist.
--jsw

Ignoramus26613

Jul 10, 2016, 9:24:49 PM7/10/16
I could never take Mensa seriously either.

Jim Wilkins

Jul 10, 2016, 10:05:55 PM7/10/16
"Ignoramus26613" <ignoram...@NOSPAM.26613.invalid> wrote in
message news:6eKdnVOw-sPGaB_K...@giganews.com...
> On 2016-07-10, Jim Wilkins <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
> I could never take Mensa seriously either.

For a while NH Mensa ran an active and interesting social life,
climbing mountains, camping and canoeing down rivers, renting an
island camp and a ski lodge, invading unsuspecting restaurants like a
polite Mongolian horde etc. Three of us worked one summer at a
Renaissance Festival. We took over two floors of a hotel for a weekend
and held a Hitchhiker's Guide theme party, really a safe and friendly
place for people who are uncomfortable at parties. I rigged the
elevator to automatically greet guests with dialog from the book.
http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Happy_Vertical_People_Transporter

--jsw

Larry Jaques

Jul 11, 2016, 12:35:11 AM7/11/16
On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 14:29:23 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 09:38:41 -0400, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:
>

>>· They tend to identify with all of mankind.
>>
>>The concerns that self-actualizers have for other people do not extend
>>only to their friends and family, but to all people in all cultures
>>throughout the world. This feeling of brotherhood extends also to
>>individuals who are aggressive, inconsiderate, or otherwise foolish.
>>Self-actualizers have a genuine desire to help the human race.
>>

>>Donald consistently shows a universality of concern for all people."
>>

>> Methinks they are looking at a different Donald.
>
>Actually a very interesting article and it looks at some folks from a
>direction Ive never paid much attention to. Interesting indeed.
>
>As for Trump, none of us knows him, none of us has ever met him and
>none of us have had any long term experience with him.
>
>That is about to change however...we will get to know him for at least
>8 yrs. As will the Canadians. It should be a most interesting 8 yrs

I subscribe to a signmaking magazine and there was an article there by
a signmaker who did Trump's sign in his newest tower. He said that
before getting the bid approved, Trump's secretary gave him a time to
be by his phone so he could take a call from Donald Trump himself. He
said Trump called him at the precise time and spent 20 minutes with
the sign company owner. The guy said Trump asked extremely good
questions, proving that he had done his homework on the subject.
Donald asked the owner about fastening style, lighting density, safety
for workers inside affected areas, wind loads at various locations,
etc. The owner was really impressed that Trump himself asked these
detailed questions, and that he understood the tech behind everything
he asked.

Both articles were eye openers for me.

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

dca...@krl.org

Jul 11, 2016, 7:22:56 AM7/11/16
On Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 5:15:42 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

> FWIW, Trump is about my age, and I had an SAT/IQ score conversion done
> by Mensa a few decades ago. They claimed that SATs of that period
> (1966, in my case) correspond very closely to IQ.
>
> But I'm skeptical. I've had Stanford-Binet and Wechsler Adult IQ
> tests. The Mensa SAT conversion score was four points above my
> Wechsler score, although Wechsler is a very tough score. It also was
> eight points above my S-B score. (That my Wechsler score was higher
> than S-B also is strange, but I took Wechsler in college, and S-B in
> grade school.)
>
> I think the Mensa conversions, from that era at least, were kind of
> high.
>
> --
> Ed Huntress

Maybe so and maybe not so. I have always understood that IQ scores are precise as far as the numbers , but the confidence level is so so. In other words IQ scores are plus or minus 5 or 10 points. And also not super precise at younger ages. So a range of 8 point between the Mensa estimate and the SB score is pretty much to be expected.

You only have a sample of one. If you had twenty or more data points of the Sat equivalent scores and say the SB scores , you could draw a conclusion.

Dan

Jim Wilkins

Jul 11, 2016, 8:16:24 AM7/11/16
<dca...@krl.org> wrote in message
================

The article I referenced about GRE vs SAT vs IQ scoring gave a
correlation of 0.79 on the "many decades ago" page:
http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/HistoricalSAT.aspx

My scores correlate with how caffeinated I am.
--jsw

dca...@krl.org

Jul 11, 2016, 11:06:27 AM7/11/16
On Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 3:44:51 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus26613 wrote:

> I refuse to believe that Wharton cutoff scores would weed out anyone
> with IQ below 156, or 0.01% of the population, as the article says. It
> is impossible, because it would not give them enough candidates.
>
> Let's see, right now the US has about 300,000,000 population and
> probably about 3,000,000 graduate from high school each year. At 0.01% (one out
> of 10,000) it means that only about 300 lucky students have IQ above
> that threshold.

Good to see someone has enough sense to question the statements. But your number of high school graduates per year with an IQ of 156 or above seems small.

I think the discrepancy is because the high school graduates are not the same as the general public. Almost all of high school students with an IQ of over 125 will be in the pool of high school graduates and almost all of the high school student with an IQ of 75 or less will not be in the pool of high school graduates.

Dan

Jim Wilkins

Jul 11, 2016, 11:24:34 AM7/11/16
<dca...@krl.org> wrote in message

And a test with high resolution among the general body of
college-hopeful high schoolers won't discriminate well among the
highest scorers, for whom one or two more right answers (guesses)
moves them disproportionately far along the curve.

How can you score at 99.9% on a 100 question test?
--jsw

Larry Jaques

Jul 11, 2016, 11:52:07 AM7/11/16
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 08:17:18 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>My scores correlate with how caffeinated I am.

So the SAT-to-IQ conversion cutoff date was the same day RedBull and
JOLT were introduced? I see.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 11, 2016, 3:32:55 PM7/11/16
Say that again????? "almost all of the high school student with
an IQ of 75 or less will not be in the pool of high school
graduates"

Sounds like it's coming from someone with an IQ coresponding to
somewhere close to the number of their digits?

dca...@krl.org

Jul 11, 2016, 4:26:40 PM7/11/16
On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 3:32:55 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:

> Say that again????? "almost all of the high school student with
> an IQ of 75 or less will not be in the pool of high school
> graduates"
>
> Sounds like it's coming from someone with an IQ coresponding to
> somewhere close to the number of their digits?

Sorry, next time I will type slower.

Dan

Ignoramus28446

Jul 11, 2016, 6:49:41 PM7/11/16
It is true, and a good point, but the difference would not be dramatic.

After all, most people do graduate from high school.

Ed Huntress

Jul 11, 2016, 7:15:44 PM7/11/16
I think you're misusing "confidence level" in this context. Multiple
tests on the *same test type* tend to show *very* close correlation.
The relation between *different* test types is well-studied and
tabulated. This is one such tabulation that's been widely used for
decades:

http://www.assessmentpsychology.com/iq.htm

The are statistics for the variables in these comparisons -- including
confidence levels and confidence intervals -- and, if you're really
curious, you can find study results that will give you a pretty good
idea of the relationship. In this context, though, you'll find more
use of "p" values than confidence levels. There is a difference.

My comment was about what Mensa does with those SAT scores, not with
what the research shows about their correspondance to IQ scores in the
scientific literature. FWIW, my SAT score on the table above
corresponds EXACTLY to my Wechsler score, but is off by 7 points from
my S-B score. Again, though, I took the S-B in grade school and the
Wechsler Adult in college.

What Mensa said about my IQ equivalent was somewhat above the scores
in the table above. That's what I was commenting upon.

--
Ed Huntress

dca...@krl.org

Jul 11, 2016, 7:54:29 PM7/11/16
On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 6:49:41 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus28446 wrote:

> It is true, and a good point, but the difference would not be dramatic.
>
> After all, most people do graduate from high school.

Yeah, I can not see where your estimation is not reasonable. But I find it hard to believe that there are so few people with a IQ of 156 and above. I have known a fair number of people that are that smart. I would guess that there were about 100 of them in my class at college.

Dan

Ed Huntress

Jul 11, 2016, 8:02:24 PM7/11/16
Not a chance, Dan. 156 is *extremely* rare. On the Wechsler scale
(WAIS), that's 1 in 10,000 of the general population. 146 is 1 in
1,000. Even that is extremely rare.

Somehow there has been an elevation in people's estimates of IQ -- of
their own (like Gunner) and of others. A score of 156 is in the
stratosphere. Those people are so rare that most people have never
known one.

--
Ed Huntress

Ignoramus28446

Jul 11, 2016, 8:49:04 PM7/11/16
On 2016-07-11, dca...@krl.org <dca...@krl.org> wrote:
I do find it hard to believe t hat there were about 100 of them in your
class at college. After all, there were only about 300 of them of the
same age in the entire USA (probably less as the US population was
smaller whenever you were in college).

Ignoramus28446

Jul 11, 2016, 8:49:57 PM7/11/16
And those individuals would loath to "know" most of us, as we would be
as dumb for them as apes are for us. Nothing to discuss.

Ed Huntress

Jul 11, 2016, 9:04:58 PM7/11/16
Uh, not so. I've known two -- one was a woman I worked with at
McGraw-Hill, who scored something like 10th among women in the United
States, and the other was a buddy of mine in high school, who scored
over 1560 on the SAT. He also spoke six launguages. He's the last in a
long line of Ivy League professors, who have buildings named after
them at both Harvard and Princeton. I'll be seeing him in October for
our 50th reunion.

Both are quite sociable and friendly. You have to know them for a
while before you recognize their extraordinary IQs. They're regular
people in any ordinary situation.

High IQ, as a subject, is interesting and, I think, full of surprises.

--
Ed Huntress

Terry Coombs

Jul 11, 2016, 9:06:23 PM7/11/16
Not necessarily true Iggy .
--
Snag

Jim Wilkins

Jul 11, 2016, 9:23:48 PM7/11/16
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
We agreed to meet a reporter who asked to interview Mensans in a
restaurant. We sat in a corner where we could see the door and quietly
watched her walk in with her giveaway notepad and wander all around
looking for her stereotype of us. As she was about to give up and
leave we introduced ourselves. She had discounted us because she
thought one of us "looked like a Bulgarian weightlifter" instead of a
geeky genius.

--jsw

Jim Wilkins

Jul 11, 2016, 9:39:56 PM7/11/16
<dca...@krl.org> wrote in message
===================

Ph.D. candidates group at and above 125.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 11, 2016, 10:34:07 PM7/11/16
In my younger years I tested 140-151
My memory isn't what it used to be, so I generally test between 120
and140 depending on the test and how "fresh" my brain is. At 10:30 at
night, after a hard day, I tested at 124on one of the more difficult
and accurate tests and 140 on one that is less memory intensive

dpb

Jul 11, 2016, 10:39:59 PM7/11/16
On 07/11/2016 7:02 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 16:54:25 -0700 (PDT), "dca...@krl.org"
> <dca...@krl.org> wrote:

>> Yeah, I can not see where your estimation is not reasonable. But I
find it hard to believe that there are so few people with a IQ of 156
and above. I have known a fair number of people that are that smart. I
would guess that there were about 100 of them in my class at college.

>> Dan
>
> Not a chance, Dan. 156 is *extremely* rare. On the Wechsler scale
> (WAIS), that's 1 in 10,000 of the general population. 146 is 1 in
> 1,000. Even that is extremely rare.

_IF_ it really followed the actual population with the postulated
distribution,

>> fix(320E6*(1-normcdf(156,100,15)))
ans =
30233

there'd be roughly 30,000 in US population at the moment.

I've known some pretty smart dudes (and dudettes) over the years but
never knew anybody's actual IQ (or much cared). AFAIK, never took
anything but the standardized tests and couldn't have any idea what
scores were any more as that was nearly 60 yr ago and other than it was
something to do other than sit in class, who gave a rats patootie? :)

I guess it was ok as far as it went...National Merit only disowned me
'cuz we had too much income so I got a nice letter but only a meager
amount of $$... :(

dpb

Jul 11, 2016, 10:42:40 PM7/11/16
On 07/11/2016 7:48 PM, Ignoramus28446 wrote:

> I do find it hard to believe t hat there were about 100 of them in your
> class at college. After all, there were only about 300 of them of the
> same age in the entire USA (probably less as the US population was
> smaller whenever you were in college).
>

>> fix(320E6*(1-normcdf(156,100,15)))
ans =
30233

That's about 100X too few for now, but 50X or so when population was
180-200M

Larry Jaques

Jul 11, 2016, 11:27:13 PM7/11/16
What they're letting graduate from high school nowadays ain't purty
nor eddicated much. <cringe>

OT:
Hey, did your kid see this? 'Twas an excellent competition.
http://interestingengineering.com/epic-battlebots-battle-ends-robot-bursting-flames/

Larry Jaques

Jul 11, 2016, 11:40:01 PM7/11/16
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 20:06:21 -0500, "Terry Coombs" <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:
>Not necessarily true Iggy .

I agree. That might mean they would have noone to talk to for months
or years. Some highly intelligent people are happy to talk to us
lesser beings (125 when young). Feynman was a happy teacher. Einstein
was a very personable brainiac. I'm sure there are many more.

Gunner Asch

Jul 12, 2016, 1:40:15 AM7/12/16
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 19:49:50 -0500, Ignoramus28446
<ignoram...@NOSPAM.28446.invalid> wrote:

Hardly so. The few genius types who haven't learned to be sociable and
friendly and good conversationalists, tend to have other social &
psychological issues..

---

Gunner Asch

Jul 12, 2016, 1:41:36 AM7/12/16
And I can well believe it.
You, like many here..are a very smart man.

Gunner Asch

Jul 12, 2016, 6:18:59 AM7/12/16
Unfortunately all too true.

>OT:
>Hey, did your kid see this? 'Twas an excellent competition.
>http://interestingengineering.com/epic-battlebots-battle-ends-robot-bursting-flames/

dca...@krl.org

Jul 12, 2016, 7:49:57 AM7/12/16
On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 8:02:24 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

> Not a chance, Dan. 156 is *extremely* rare. On the Wechsler scale
> (WAIS), that's 1 in 10,000 of the general population. 146 is 1 in
> 1,000. Even that is extremely rare.
>
> Somehow there has been an elevation in people's estimates of IQ -- of
> their own (like Gunner) and of others. A score of 156 is in the
> stratosphere. Those people are so rare that most people have never
> known one.
>
> --
> Ed Huntress

I would say a pretty good chance. Assuming that Iggy's estimate is off and there are saw 600 high IQ high school graduates per year, pretty much all of those would go to one of the top colleges. Remember they are all smart and it is very likely that they all understand going to one of the top 10 colleges would have advantage in the workplace. So if you just divide 600 by 10 you get 60 high IQ students per top college. Now assume that the distribution per top ten college is not that uniform. That means that it is likely that 100 might go to one college and only 30 go to some other college.

And if you read carefully , I did say about. And I would say that ninety is about a hundred.

Dan

Ed Huntress

Jul 12, 2016, 9:09:43 AM7/12/16
On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 04:49:53 -0700 (PDT), "dca...@krl.org"
<dca...@krl.org> wrote:

>On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 8:02:24 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
>

>> Not a chance, Dan. 156 is *extremely* rare. On the Wechsler scale
>> (WAIS), that's 1 in 10,000 of the general population. 146 is 1 in
>> 1,000. Even that is extremely rare.
>>
>> Somehow there has been an elevation in people's estimates of IQ -- of
>> their own (like Gunner) and of others. A score of 156 is in the
>> stratosphere. Those people are so rare that most people have never
>> known one.
>>
>> --
>> Ed Huntress
>
>I would say a pretty good chance. Assuming that Iggy's estimate is off and there are saw 600 high IQ high school graduates per year...

300 per year, 156 IQ or above, in 1964 (when did you graduate?).
18-year-olds make up 1.7% of the population.

>..., pretty much all of those would go to one of the top colleges. Remember they are all smart and it is very likely that they all understand going to one of the top 10 colleges would have advantage in the workplace. So if you just divide 600 by 10 you get 60 high IQ students per top college. Now assume that the distribution per top ten college is not that uniform. That means that it is likely that 100 might go to one college and only 30 go to some other college.

Instead of 600, use the correct figure of 300, in your case. Now
you're at 300/10 = 30 rather than 60 -- and that's based on accepting
your assumptions about where they go to college.

Obtaining average ACT or SAT scores for the top colleges is easy;
obtaining the distributions by IQ probably is impossible. FWIW, the
top 70 or so colleges are within a couple of ACT points of each other
in terms of averages.

So no, there is no statistical support for what you're saying. Among
the very top colleges and universities in the country, a typical
distribution might be one or two kids per year with an IQ of 156 or
greater. Maybe CIT and MIT get three or four.

>And if you read carefully , I did say about. And I would say that ninety is about a hundred.
>
> Dan

And I would say that 30 per year graduating from high school with an
IQ of 156 or above, back when you and I graduated, is nowhere near
100.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins

Jul 12, 2016, 11:35:32 AM7/12/16

"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
So what minimum IQ do you think admission to Wharton implies?
--jsw

Ed Huntress

Jul 12, 2016, 12:06:34 PM7/12/16
According to Bloomberg, the average is 140, based on an ACT score of
32.5, or 2400-basis SAT of 2170.

The 25th percentile of those admitted have an IQ of 135. The lowest
will be somewhat lower than that, but we can assume other factors are
involved.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress

Jul 12, 2016, 12:32:42 PM7/12/16
If you want to see how I computed that, check these:

http://www.prepscholar.com/sat/s/colleges/University-of-Pennsylvania-admission-requirements

http://blog.prepscholar.com/act-to-sat-conversion

http://www.assessmentpsychology.com/iq.htm

As a Mensa guy, you may know that the qualifying score for Triple 9 is
146 (WAIS). Also, SAT conversions are a mess. On the 1600 scale, you
have to know what year the test was taken. It's been bumped two times
-- some claim three times -- and last year it reverted back to 1600.
If you can get a good comparison on ACT scores, it's much more stable.

--
Ed Huntress

The Voice

Jul 12, 2016, 12:37:43 PM7/12/16
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 19:49:50 -0500, Ignoramus28446
<ignoram...@NOSPAM.28446.invalid> wrote:

Since you are able to converse with Wieber, I take it that you don't
believe his claim of 165.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.machines.cnc/msg/b8b3afb9ad1fd63f
There must be a logical explanation. Perhaps an accidental hit on the
5 key?

Jim Wilkins

Jul 12, 2016, 12:56:44 PM7/12/16
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
When I looked for the answer before asking you it appeared that grade
point average may have held a higher weight for admission than SAT
score, if they knew the high school didn't indulge in grade inflation.

Hawking admits he studied as little as possible as a student at St
Albans and Oxford and was not considered exceptional.

BTW Richard Feynman's IQ score was reputedly only 125 (his sister said
123).
http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/physics/brau/H182/Term%20Papers/Ryan%20McPherson.html
yet "While Feynman was working at Los Alamos on the atomic bomb,
Robert Oppenheimer remarked that Feynman was "'by all odds, the most
brilliant young physicist here'"...

--jsw

Jim Wilkins

Jul 12, 2016, 1:01:37 PM7/12/16
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
We knew intelligence test results also depended on the phase of the
moon and the color of the testing room's curtains.
--jsw

Jim Wilkins

Jul 12, 2016, 2:09:35 PM7/12/16
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
As often the top scorer in the room I found the more challenging
questions too subject to conflicting interpretations and the score
evaluation too sensitive to the weight of one answer if you only
missed a few. They resolve the middle better than the end(s).

For example a game question was "What is the waste product of
sugarmaking?"

I had to decide if the expected answer was molasses or bagasse (the
crushed stalks), which one is less valuable, and how likely it was the
questioner or writer had ever heard of bagasse (have you?).

They hadn't and I was eliminated.

--jsw

Ed Huntress

Jul 12, 2016, 2:22:21 PM7/12/16
On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 14:10:24 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
Yes. Bagasse is the waste product. I've toured sugar mills.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins

Jul 12, 2016, 3:37:21 PM7/12/16
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
You know too much. You must be eliminated.

Ed Huntress

Jul 12, 2016, 7:46:52 PM7/12/16
On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 15:38:09 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
And, as they say, a high IQ and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee.
d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Larry Jaques

Jul 13, 2016, 9:23:36 AM7/13/16
The real answer is "refined sugar". And it'll lay waste to a human
body.

>I had to decide if the expected answer was molasses or bagasse (the
>crushed stalks), which one is less valuable, and how likely it was the
>questioner or writer had ever heard of bagasse (have you?).
>
>They hadn't and I was eliminated.

<sigh>

pyotr filipivich

Jul 13, 2016, 12:11:38 PM7/13/16
Larry Jaques <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> on Mon, 11 Jul 2016
20:27:15 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

>>> Good to see someone has enough sense to question the statements.
>>> But your number of high school graduates per year with an IQ of 156
>>> or above seems small.
>>>
>>> I think the discrepancy is because the high school graduates are not
>>> the same as the general public. Almost all of high school students
>>> with an IQ of over 125 will be in the pool of high school graduates
>>> and almost all of the high school student with an IQ of 75 or less
>>> will not be in the pool of high school graduates.
>>
>>It is true, and a good point, but the difference would not be dramatic.
>>
>>After all, most people do graduate from high school.
>
>What they're letting graduate from high school nowadays ain't purty
>nor eddicated much. <cringe>

I used to say that a High School diploma was like a Good Conduct
Ribbon, mostly it means four years of undetected crime. I've since
been corrected - even a detected crime will not keep you from
graduating.
--
pyotr filipivich

Larry Jaques

Jul 13, 2016, 4:46:12 PM7/13/16
I like your thinking.

And these wonderful, minimally educated souls become our next
generation of teachers. Do you detect a possibly life-threatening
trend unfolding, probably within our lifetime?

>--
>pyotr filipivich
>"With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."

Jim Wilkins

Jul 13, 2016, 6:06:45 PM7/13/16
"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
The Society for Creative Anachronism makes the Dark Ages seem like
fun, if you visit only on weekends. I've got my Cymric ancestry, cloak
and chain mail and helmet and threatening scowl.

More mead, Wench!!!

(or was that more weed, Mensch???)
--jsw

Larry Jaques

Jul 13, 2016, 6:28:12 PM7/13/16
Yes, SCA is fun. What'd the threatening scowl run ya?

>More mead, Wench!!!
>
>(or was that more weed, Mensch???)

<g>

Jim Wilkins

Jul 13, 2016, 7:21:01 PM7/13/16

"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
It cost me a few summers of trying to wrangle actors into carpenters.
They will admit they take up acting because they lack any other useful
skills, especially when asked to get up and do something.

People with acting talent who do have other valuable abilities may
become doctors or lawyers and then join community theatre. One of the
best actors I've ever seen was lead prosecutor on a major murder trial
during the day and then flipped 180 degrees to play the ferocious
Oliver Twist villain Bill Sikes at night. His "Stanley Kowalski" was a
match for Marlon Brando's.
--jsw

Larry Jaques

Jul 13, 2016, 8:11:20 PM7/13/16
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 19:21:54 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 18:07:38 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
>> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>The Society for Creative Anachronism makes the Dark Ages seem like
>>>fun, if you visit only on weekends. I've got my Cymric ancestry,
>>>cloak
>>>and chain mail and helmet and threatening scowl.
>>
>> Yes, SCA is fun. What'd the threatening scowl run ya?
>
>It cost me a few summers of trying to wrangle actors into carpenters.
>They will admit they take up acting because they lack any other useful
>skills, especially when asked to get up and do something.

I met many of them through my sister, who was in all the plays at
school. Most actors are not at all handy with tools or their hands.

Gunner Asch

Jul 14, 2016, 12:08:33 PM7/14/16
If threatening? Most of those ditherheads are against guns. The only
threat I see is to them..not to us.

Im sure as fuck not giving up MY guns...nor is anyone else I know..and
a significant fraction of them are more than willing to go on the war
path the moment the 2nd American Revolution takes off...IE..the Great
Cull.

>>--
>>pyotr filipivich
>>"With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."

Gunner Asch

Jul 14, 2016, 12:09:01 PM7/14/16
(VBG)

Ed Huntress

Jul 14, 2016, 12:38:44 PM7/14/16
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 09:03:56 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
Your Virtual Reality headset is in the mail. The biggest danger is
falling off a cliff while you're wearing them, so be careful.

If you need a warmup, try Pokemon GO. You can try catching the
Pokemon, and then kill them. It will be just like the Great Cull, but
you throw Pokemon Balls at them and they don't shoot back -- your kind
of war, Gunner:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Go#Release

--
Ed Huntress

pyotr filipivich

Jul 14, 2016, 1:40:37 PM7/14/16
"Jim Wilkins" <murat...@gmail.com> on Wed, 13 Jul 2016 18:07:38
Keeper! (My lady wife laughed at that too.)

The SCA has a romantic view of how they think the Middle Ages
should have been. Oh well.

--
Nikolai Petrovich Flandropoff
Whimiscal Order of the Ailing Wit

pyotr filipivich

Jul 14, 2016, 1:40:37 PM7/14/16
Larry Jaques <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> on Wed, 13 Jul 2016
13:46:21 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
>On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 09:11:34 -0700, pyotr filipivich
><ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>Larry Jaques <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> on Mon, 11 Jul 2016
>>20:27:15 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

>>>What they're letting graduate from high school nowadays ain't purty
>>>nor eddicated much. <cringe>
>>
>> I used to say that a High School diploma was like a Good Conduct
>>Ribbon, mostly it means four years of undetected crime. I've since
>>been corrected - even a detected crime will not keep you from
>>graduating.
>
>I like your thinking.
>
>And these wonderful, minimally educated souls become our next
>generation of teachers. Do you detect a possibly life-threatening
>trend unfolding, probably within our lifetime?

It has.

Who do you think are "feeling the Berne" because they have no idea
that tacking "Democratic" or "National" or "People's" in front of
"Socialism" doesn't change it at all.

Ed Huntress

Jul 14, 2016, 2:01:29 PM7/14/16
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 10:40:33 -0700, pyotr filipivich
Baloney. And abalone. There has been virtually no change in student
test scores, on the same tests, in 40 years:

"According to the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP),
test scores for 17 year olds have not improved since the early 1970s.
That is, the average 17 year old in 2012 got about the same score in
reading and math (287 and 306, respectively) as a 17 year old in 1971
or 1973 did (285 and 304, respectively). Scores have bobbled up and
down a point or two over the years, but, statistically speaking,
they’ve been indistinguishable from each other."

That's despite very large increases in the numbers of non-white
students (80% in 1971; 56% in 2012).

http://educationbythenumbers.org/content/high-school-test-scores-havent-improved-for-40-years-top-students-stagnating_251/

Having watched and listened for 15 years to you guys who complain
about the state of education today, and think about where the kids
were in my son's class a few years back, I'm sure that you couldn't
hold a candle to them on facts or educational accomplishment.

You're full of crap. As usual.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins

Jul 14, 2016, 2:04:37 PM7/14/16
"pyotr filipivich" <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Who do you think are "feeling the Berne" because they have no idea
> that tacking "Democratic" or "National" or "People's" in front of
> "Socialism" doesn't change it at all.
> --
> pyotr filipivich

I mentally change "people's" to "narodny" to remind myself which
regime it comes from.

LTRga⛄⫸Mighty ⸎ Wannabe⫷⛄JBsHh

Jul 14, 2016, 2:24:48 PM7/14/16
I don't think dumb ass Gummer has the luxury of owning a smartphone. No
apps, no "Pokémon GO" for Gummer.

Gummer's only reason to carry on, instead of sticking a gun in his
mouth, is his gay porn and the "Great Cull" that he has been hoping for
to get him out of his jam. Of course, the chance of the Great Cull is as
slim as the "Second Coming" of Christ.

Gunner Asch

Jul 14, 2016, 2:33:50 PM7/14/16
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 10:40:33 -0700, pyotr filipivich
Hear Hear!!

>--
>pyotr filipivich
>"With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."

Jim Wilkins

Jul 14, 2016, 2:52:45 PM7/14/16

> The SCA has a romantic view of how they think the Middle Ages
> should have been. Oh well.

Are you saying it wasn't??

Can you read the Latin and German lyrics of Carmina Burana?
http://www.tylatin.org/extras/cb14.html
"Quidam ludunt,
quidam bibunt,
quidam indiscrete vivunt"

Unlike the nearly literal English below it the Latin makes a great
drinking song.

--Walther von der Vogelweide

Ed Huntress

Jul 14, 2016, 3:03:50 PM7/14/16
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 11:29:12 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:
That's why you've acquired your reputation as an idiot, Gunner. You
don't know the difference(s).

They must have had some really weak schools in Grayling.

--
Ed Huntress

LTrQw⚛← Mighty ╬ Wannabe →⚛zpreW

Jul 14, 2016, 3:12:13 PM7/14/16
Gummer was homeschooled by a bunch of idiots who were also homeschooled
by a bunch of idiots who were homeschooled by a bunch of idiots who were
not schooled at all.

pyotr filipivich

Jul 14, 2016, 4:23:00 PM7/14/16
"Jim Wilkins" <murat...@gmail.com> on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 14:53:39
>"pyotr filipivich" <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>
>> The SCA has a romantic view of how they think the Middle Ages
>> should have been. Oh well.
>
>Are you saying it wasn't??

A major issue is that far too many don't really grasp that the
pre-enlightenment mindset was really different. E.G., seven is a pure
number, which is why there are but 7 planets : Sol, Luna, Mercury,
Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. QED.
Etc.

Jim Wilkins

Jul 14, 2016, 5:43:51 PM7/14/16

"pyotr filipivich" <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
Chemistry was so much easier with only four Elements.

--jsw, lixivating

Jim Wilkins

Jul 14, 2016, 6:30:20 PM7/14/16
"pyotr filipivich" <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
Now we inscribe the magical numbers that determine our fates on
lottery tickets.

pyotr filipivich

Jul 14, 2016, 8:32:59 PM7/14/16
"Jim Wilkins" <murat...@gmail.com> on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 18:31:12
>"pyotr filipivich" <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> "Jim Wilkins" <murat...@gmail.com> on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 14:53:39
>> -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
>>>"pyotr filipivich" <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>>>Are you saying it wasn't??
>>
>> A major issue is that far too many don't really grasp that the
>> pre-enlightenment mindset was really different. E.G., seven is a
>> pure
>> number, which is why there are but 7 planets : Sol, Luna, Mercury,
>> Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. QED.
>> Etc.
>> --
>> pyotr filipivich
>
>Now we inscribe the magical numbers that determine our fates on
>lottery tickets.

Superstitions are those foolish beliefs that others have. Or had.

I'm Just a Singer

Jul 14, 2016, 8:36:54 PM7/14/16
wrote:

>If threatening? Most of those ditherheads are against guns. The only
>threat I see is to them..not to us.

Your biggest threat is yourself.

>Im sure as fuck not giving up MY guns...nor is anyone else I know..and
>a significant fraction of them are more than willing to go on the war
>path the moment the 2nd American Revolution takes off

Hahahaha! The Wieber army is famous for waiting waiting waiting.
Fighting not so much.

>...IE..the Great Cull.

... is merely your asinine fantasy, and another of your failed
predictions.

My predictions are much better.

"Looking forward to your inevitable list of silly excuses for why you
aren't employed after your phony interview, why you didn't pay any
taxes with your phony windfall, and why you weren't able to do
anything about your tormenters with your phony DA prosecution."

So, did you get a job? Nope. Did you pay any taxes with your imaginary
$1600? Nope, no payments for years.
http://www.kcttc.co.kern.ca.us/Payment/ATNDetails.aspx?NUMBER=03930320008&NUM_TYPE=AT&YR=H
Ditto with the phony DA prosecution. Nothing. Nada.

But keep making those predictions!

PS Still waiting for my "summins" LOL

xRNmx⛄⫸Mighty ⸎ Wannabe⫷⛄krwDo

Jul 14, 2016, 9:02:32 PM7/14/16
I'm Just a Singer wrote on 7/14/2016 8:36 PM:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 09:03:56 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> If threatening? Most of those ditherheads are against guns. The only
>> threat I see is to them..not to us.
>
> Your biggest threat is yourself.
>
>> Im sure as fuck not giving up MY guns...nor is anyone else I know..and
>> a significant fraction of them are more than willing to go on the war
>> path the moment the 2nd American Revolution takes off
>
> Hahahaha! The Wieber army is famous for waiting waiting waiting.
> Fighting not so much.

Gummer Arse's constant wet dream of "the 2nd American Revolution" is the
only thing that prevents him from sticking a gun into his own mouth to
end his miserable life.

Larry Jaques

Jul 14, 2016, 9:23:10 PM7/14/16
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 09:03:56 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
When teachers stop teaching 25% (or more) of "things which make us
Americans" content per generation, we's in a heap o' trouble, boy.

They're already NOT teaching civics and ARE teaching Globular Swarming
(Climate Chang) and gun control and social justice, etc. Hell, this
generation doesn't even know what the Vietnam War was. Revisionist
history is rampant in schools nowadays, too. Ditto Agenda 21.

People who apply for American citizenship are no longer required to
read, write, and speak English, fer Chrissake.

States are mandating that all drivers are registered to vote, even
though they are aware that -many- illegal aliens are getting drivers
licenses. Our two states have mandated that known illegal aliens are
to be given the lowest tuition rate for college. That low rate was
previously offered only to state residents. WTF,O?

CROM HELP US!

>Im sure as fuck not giving up MY guns...nor is anyone else I know..and
>a significant fraction of them are more than willing to go on the war
>path the moment the 2nd American Revolution takes off...IE..the Great
>Cull.

Is it Cull yet? Is it Cull yet? Is it Cull yet? Is it Cull yet?
Is it Cull yet? Is it Cull yet? Is it Cull yet? Is it Cull yet?
Is it Cull yet? Is it Cull yet? Is it Cull yet? Is it Cull yet?
huh? huh? huh?

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from folly
is to fill the world with fools.

Larry Jaques

Jul 14, 2016, 9:28:28 PM7/14/16
<ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Larry Jaques <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> on Wed, 13 Jul 2016
>13:46:21 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

>>And these wonderful, minimally educated souls become our next
>>generation of teachers. Do you detect a possibly life-threatening
>>trend unfolding, probably within our lifetime?
>
> It has.
>
> Who do you think are "feeling the Berne" because they have no idea
>that tacking "Democratic" or "National" or "People's" in front of
>"Socialism" doesn't change it at all.

We have a new bank here in Oregon. People's Bank.

A client just expressed her deep depression over losing the Al Jazeera
TV station from cable. I couldn't help but to wide-eyed over that one.

Democrats. I just don't know what to do with 'em. Well, except to
keep my ears and mouth shut while I take their money and fix their
stuff.

The Mighty Ant

Jul 14, 2016, 9:47:23 PM7/14/16
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 09:03:56 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
A basic flaw in Gunner's theories is that if a fundamentalist, right
wing, association of people, decide that enough is enough and they
must sort of ,clear the decks of those who take but do not contribute,
before a "collapse of society as we know it" occurs, it is logical
that one of the first groups to be eliminated are the Dole Bludgers,
i.e., those that are sucking on the government's teat. Which, as
Gunner himself has written, includes Gunner, who availed himself of
medical care provided by government edict for which he cannot pay.

It appears that when "American Revolution II" happens, which we
assured will happen "any day now", that "poor white trash" (like
Gunner) will likely be right up there at the head of the lists.
--
and a good day to you Sir,

The Mighty Ant

The Mighty Ant

Jul 14, 2016, 9:59:29 PM7/14/16
Never fear, when the "Great Cull" occurs, which we are assured will
happen "any time now", it appears that those who take and do not
contribute, like the Mexicans, Blacks and "poor white trash", will
assuredly head the lists.

And who typifies the "poor white trash" classification to the greatest
extent ?

Ed Huntress

Jul 14, 2016, 10:31:49 PM7/14/16
I fear for some of our west-coast members....

--
Ed Huntress

Larry Jaques

Jul 15, 2016, 1:24:33 AM7/15/16
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 17:44:43 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"pyotr filipivich" <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> "Jim Wilkins" <murat...@gmail.com> on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 14:53:39
>> -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
>>>"pyotr filipivich" <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>>>Are you saying it wasn't??
>>
>> A major issue is that far too many don't really grasp that the
>> pre-enlightenment mindset was really different. E.G., seven is a
>> pure
>> number, which is why there are but 7 planets : Sol, Luna, Mercury,
>> Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. QED.
>> Etc.

Long Live Pluto!

>Chemistry was so much easier with only four Elements.

LOL.

>--jsw, lixivating

You're all vaped out?

goodsoldi...@geemail.org

Jul 15, 2016, 2:03:42 AM7/15/16
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 22:31:44 -0400, Ed Huntress
But, if they get rid of all the dead beats and dole dodgers there
might be enough space the old "Go West young man, go West" adage could
regain popularity :-)
--
Cheers,

Schweik

Jim Wilkins

Jul 15, 2016, 7:09:36 AM7/15/16
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 17:44:43 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"pyotr filipivich" <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> "Jim Wilkins" <murat...@gmail.com> on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 14:53:39
>>> -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

>>> A major issue is that far too many don't really grasp that the
>>> pre-enlightenment mindset was really different. E.G., seven is a
>>> pure
>>> number, which is why there are but 7 planets : Sol, Luna, Mercury,
>>> Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. QED.
>>> Etc.
>
> Long Live Pluto!
>

>>Chemistry was so much easier with only four Elements.
>
> LOL.
>
>>--jsw, lixivating
>
> You're all vaped out?

It's an old Alchemist's term that means to extract the solubles from a
pulverized solid. I stretched the definition slightly to mean
thoroughly chewing up my salad, because I couldn't justify using
"Scorified."

--jsw

Michael A. Terrell

Jul 15, 2016, 10:29:49 AM7/15/16
Larry Jaques wrote:

> I agree. That might mean they would have noone to talk to for months
> or years. Some highly intelligent people are happy to talk to us
> lesser beings (125 when young). Feynman was a happy teacher. Einstein
> was a very personable brainiac. I'm sure there are many more.

I don't know what mine was, when I graduated. The school kept
pushing e to look at the results, and telling me that I should go to law
or medical school rather than into Electronics. I was so fed up with
several bad teachers that I just wanted to get away from the place. I
routinely received the top scores in the school district on other
standard tests, but it just wasn't important to me at that time. I
recently ran into some people I went to school with, and one of their
younger brothers referred to me as "You were that genius, weren't you?"
I know that several teachers didn't like me, since I often caught their
mistakes. My Physics teacher told the class that if they had any
questions about electricity or electronics, to ask me instead of him. :)

Michael A. Terrell

Jul 15, 2016, 10:30:57 AM7/15/16
Gunner Asch wrote:

> Hardly so. The few genius types who haven't learned to be sociable and
> friendly and good conversationalists, tend to have other social &
> psychological issues..

AKA, a severe case of 'Sheldonitis' :(

Michael A. Terrell

Jul 15, 2016, 10:45:05 AM7/15/16
Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 10:40:33 -0700, pyotr filipivich
> <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> Larry Jaques <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> on Wed, 13 Jul 2016
>> 13:46:21 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
>
>>> And these wonderful, minimally educated souls become our next
>>> generation of teachers. Do you detect a possibly life-threatening
>>> trend unfolding, probably within our lifetime?
>>
>> It has.
>>
>> Who do you think are "feeling the Berne" because they have no idea
>> that tacking "Democratic" or "National" or "People's" in front of
>> "Socialism" doesn't change it at all.
>
> We have a new bank here in Oregon. People's Bank.
>
> A client just expressed her deep depression over losing the Al Jazeera
> TV station from cable. I couldn't help but to wide-eyed over that one.
>
> Democrats. I just don't know what to do with 'em. Well, except to
> keep my ears and mouth shut while I take their money and fix their
> stuff.

I'm not going to say that liberals are stupid, but they think that
the 'Three Stooges' made documentaries.

pyotr filipivich

Jul 15, 2016, 11:43:35 AM7/15/16
"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.t...@earthlink.net> on Fri, 15 Jul 2016
10:44:59 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
>Larry Jaques wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 10:40:33 -0700, pyotr filipivich
>> <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Larry Jaques <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> on Wed, 13 Jul 2016
>>> 13:46:21 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

>>> It has.
>>>
>>> Who do you think are "feeling the Berne" because they have no idea
>>> that tacking "Democratic" or "National" or "People's" in front of
>>> "Socialism" doesn't change it at all.
>>
>> We have a new bank here in Oregon. People's Bank.

Is that like "People's Temple"?

>> A client just expressed her deep depression over losing the Al Jazeera
>> TV station from cable. I couldn't help but to wide-eyed over that one.

I can see wanting to watch that, if only for a slightly more
honest take than what's provided by the Democrat Party Press Outlets.

>> Democrats. I just don't know what to do with 'em. Well, except to
>> keep my ears and mouth shut while I take their money and fix their
>> stuff.
>
> I'm not going to say that liberals are stupid, but they think that
>the 'Three Stooges' made documentaries.

And that in Hilary they've found an Honest Politician.

tschus
pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Jul 15, 2016, 11:43:35 AM7/15/16
Larry Jaques <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> on Thu, 14 Jul 2016
22:24:47 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
>On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 17:44:43 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
><murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"pyotr filipivich" <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> "Jim Wilkins" <murat...@gmail.com> on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 14:53:39
>>> -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

>>> A major issue is that far too many don't really grasp that the
>>> pre-enlightenment mindset was really different. E.G., seven is a
>>> pure
>>> number, which is why there are but 7 planets : Sol, Luna, Mercury,
>>> Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. QED.
>>> Etc.
>
>Long Live Pluto!

Were there more than those seven planets in 12th century Russ?
Nyet - is outrage!

In 12th Century - Pluto was a pagan deity, not a Disney character.

>>Chemistry was so much easier with only four Elements.
>LOL.

Jim Wilkins

Jul 15, 2016, 12:06:56 PM7/15/16
"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> .....My Physics teacher told the class that if they had any
> questions about electricity or electronics, to ask me instead of
> him. :)

Our otherwise strict and dominating English teacher deferred to John
Adams that way:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Adams_(composer)

--jsw

Gunner Asch

Jul 15, 2016, 1:35:58 PM7/15/16
Indeed. Well said.

Larry Jaques

Jul 15, 2016, 8:51:46 PM7/15/16
On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 07:10:30 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
SLIGHTLY?

>thoroughly chewing up my salad, because I couldn't justify using
>"Scorified."

Scarify, like seeds? We did that in the Master Gardener Program.

I'll agree, "mastication" can be evocative, especially to the kiddy
trolls around here. Best not use it.

Eschew Obfuscation!

Larry Jaques

Jul 15, 2016, 9:10:19 PM7/15/16
On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 10:29:41 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
<mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Larry Jaques wrote:
>>
>> I agree. That might mean they would have noone to talk to for months
>> or years. Some highly intelligent people are happy to talk to us
>> lesser beings (125 when young). Feynman was a happy teacher. Einstein
>> was a very personable brainiac. I'm sure there are many more.
>

> I don't know what mine was, when I graduated. The school kept
>pushing e to look at the results, and telling me that I should go to law
>or medical school rather than into Electronics.

Boy did YOU make the right decision.

>I was so fed up with
>several bad teachers that I just wanted to get away from the place. I
>routinely received the top scores in the school district on other
>standard tests, but it just wasn't important to me at that time. I
>recently ran into some people I went to school with, and one of their
>younger brothers referred to me as "You were that genius, weren't you?"

I got a bit of that myself, but I graduated directly from high school
into alcoholism and ran with a dumb crowd for awhile. July 10th, I
happily celebrated my 31st year of sobriety. That, too, was a right
decision.

>I know that several teachers didn't like me, since I often caught their
>mistakes.

I got some real rough looks from doing that to teachers, too.
C'est la guerre.

>My Physics teacher told the class that if they had any
>questions about electricity or electronics, to ask me instead of him. :)

Hah! Cool.

Jim Wilkins

Jul 15, 2016, 9:14:25 PM7/15/16
"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
How to scorify:
http://kwantessentials.blogspot.com/2012/04/conditioning-scorifier-and-melting.html

Michael A. Terrell

Jul 15, 2016, 9:45:59 PM7/15/16
Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 10:29:41 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
> <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Larry Jaques wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree. That might mean they would have noone to talk to for months
>>> or years. Some highly intelligent people are happy to talk to us
>>> lesser beings (125 when young). Feynman was a happy teacher. Einstein
>>> was a very personable brainiac. I'm sure there are many more.
>>

>> I don't know what mine was, when I graduated. The school kept
>> pushing e to look at the results, and telling me that I should go to law
>> or medical school rather than into Electronics.
>
> Boy did YOU make the right decision.

How many doctors or lawyers design hardware, for space? :)

>> I was so fed up with
>> several bad teachers that I just wanted to get away from the place. I
>> routinely received the top scores in the school district on other
>> standard tests, but it just wasn't important to me at that time. I
>> recently ran into some people I went to school with, and one of their
>> younger brothers referred to me as "You were that genius, weren't you?"
>
> I got a bit of that myself, but I graduated directly from high school
> into alcoholism and ran with a dumb crowd for awhile. July 10th, I
> happily celebrated my 31st year of sobriety. That, too, was a right
> decision.

Congratulations. I've never wanted to drink any alcohol. Even
medicine with alcohol is disgusting.

>> I know that several teachers didn't like me, since I often caught their
>> mistakes.
>
> I got some real rough looks from doing that to teachers, too.
> C'est la guerre.

I had one teacher try to keep me from graduating on time, because
she didn't understand any part of an assignment that I completed in her
English class. We had to prepare and give a five minute presentation of
'a subject you know well'. Mine was 'The Theory and Application of
Single Sideband Communications'. She didn't understand any of it, or of
any of the math or drawing that I did, on the greenboard.

>> My Physics teacher told the class that if they had any
>> questions about electricity or electronics, to ask me instead of him. :)
>
> Hah! Cool.

My class project was to be an ultrasonic alarm system, but the
transducers were on backorder for over six months. I ended up being
graded on a commercial grade degaussing coil that I had made and sold to
the teacher. It outperformed ones that sold for $80+ in the late '60s.

Larry Jaques

Jul 16, 2016, 8:28:48 AM7/16/16
On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 21:15:07 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
Oh, so a scorifier is a bed-pan crucible. Got it.
Gotta be hell on salad, wot?

Larry Jaques

Jul 16, 2016, 8:34:25 AM7/16/16
On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 21:45:50 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
<mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Larry Jaques wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 10:29:41 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
>> <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> I don't know what mine was, when I graduated. The school kept
>>> pushing e to look at the results, and telling me that I should go to law
>>> or medical school rather than into Electronics.
>>
>> Boy did YOU make the right decision.
>

> How many doctors or lawyers design hardware, for space? :)

Too few, I'm sure. So that's why you're stuck in Flowda.

>>> I was so fed up with
>>> several bad teachers that I just wanted to get away from the place. I
>>> routinely received the top scores in the school district on other
>>> standard tests, but it just wasn't important to me at that time. I
>>> recently ran into some people I went to school with, and one of their
>>> younger brothers referred to me as "You were that genius, weren't you?"
>>
>> I got a bit of that myself, but I graduated directly from high school
>> into alcoholism and ran with a dumb crowd for awhile. July 10th, I
>> happily celebrated my 31st year of sobriety. That, too, was a right
>> decision.
>

> Congratulations. I've never wanted to drink any alcohol. Even
>medicine with alcohol is disgusting.

Thanks. I didn't like reality for the longest time.

>>> I know that several teachers didn't like me, since I often caught their
>>> mistakes.
>>
>> I got some real rough looks from doing that to teachers, too.
>> C'est la guerre.
>

> I had one teacher try to keep me from graduating on time, because
>she didn't understand any part of an assignment that I completed in her
>English class. We had to prepare and give a five minute presentation of
>'a subject you know well'. Mine was 'The Theory and Application of
>Single Sideband Communications'. She didn't understand any of it, or of
>any of the math or drawing that I did, on the greenboard.

I hope you took that all the way to the Principal or Board. Today,
the wench could have looked it up on the Web and at least grasped what
you were saying after half an hour of googlin'.

>>> My Physics teacher told the class that if they had any
>>> questions about electricity or electronics, to ask me instead of him. :)
>>
>> Hah! Cool.
>

> My class project was to be an ultrasonic alarm system, but the
>transducers were on backorder for over six months. I ended up being
>graded on a commercial grade degaussing coil that I had made and sold to
>the teacher. It outperformed ones that sold for $80+ in the late '60s.

I'll bet you got a good grade on that one. As well you should.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 16, 2016, 8:55:26 AM7/16/16
I had the same situation in TRADE SCHOOL while doing my automotive
mechanics apprenticeship.

The previous class had rebuilt a Willys Hurricane and could not get it
started. Half of our class was given the addignment of getting it
running, and after 2 weeks it was still deader than a doornail.
I spoke up, and the teacher said if I was so smart it was noe MY job.
Since I had already passed the Englidh, Math, and Science exams on the
first day I was excused from those classes and had a lot of spare
time, so my first spare period I pulled the plugs, checked
compression, spark and timing and made sure it has good gas. The plugs
looked a little sketchy, so I grabbed another set out of the bin,
stuck them in and hit the starter. It fired about half way through the
first turn and ran perfectly. (but leaked oil from where the road
draft tube mounted.A couple minutes before the class returned I
started it up and let it run 'till the guys got back.

They frittered awat another 2 days trying to stop the oil leak as I
"cheared them on" Finally I grapped piece of heavy gasket paper, cut
it into a circle abour 2 inches in diameter and punched 3 5/16" holes
in it and tossed it to the "team leader", telling kim to put the
mounting bolt through the middle hole. Less than 5 minutes later the
leak had stopped. They had been fighting with donut shaped gasketd ans
"O" rings thay they couldn't get to stay in place (before the common
use of silicone "monkey snot")

Larry Jaques

Jul 16, 2016, 10:58:40 PM7/16/16
English but not typing, I see. ;)

>first day I was excused from those classes and had a lot of spare
>time, so my first spare period I pulled the plugs, checked
>compression, spark and timing and made sure it has good gas. The plugs
>looked a little sketchy, so I grabbed another set out of the bin,
>stuck them in and hit the starter. It fired about half way through the
>first turn and ran perfectly. (but leaked oil from where the road
>draft tube mounted.A couple minutes before the class returned I
>started it up and let it run 'till the guys got back.

Just a gloatin' fool, huh? Good for you. I had good luck with
troublesome tuneups, too. I never clean spark plugs. They're cheap
enough to install new, and they can make a real difference in the
running of an engine. I've seen plugs shorted with metallic sand from
the guy's sandblaster. And I've seen arc marks down blasted plug
ceramics, straight to ground.

Some engines like to be retarded a couple degrees, some right on the
mfgr's specs (TDC), and some liked a couple degrees of advance to give
the best performance.

One thing I really don't miss is effin' with carbs. I had great luck
with Rottenchesters, Fords, and Carters, but Holleys were the worst
warping, quickest fouling beasts in the world due to their tiny
passages in the valve bodies. I truly love EFI! It's not only
foolproof in any weather, it gives instantaneous response.

Man, it has been 31 years since I did my last full tuneup. Amazing.
Thankfully, they don't make 'em like they used to. (No points to
close on you, etc.)

>They frittered awat another 2 days trying to stop the oil leak as I
>"cheared them on" Finally I grapped piece of heavy gasket paper, cut
>it into a circle abour 2 inches in diameter and punched 3 5/16" holes
>in it and tossed it to the "team leader", telling kim to put the
>mounting bolt through the middle hole. Less than 5 minutes later the
>leak had stopped. They had been fighting with donut shaped gasketd ans
>"O" rings thay they couldn't get to stay in place (before the common
>use of silicone "monkey snot")

Common sense isn't always common, is it?

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 16, 2016, 11:50:48 PM7/16/16
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 19:59:02 -0700, Larry Jaques
Gotta get myself a new keyboard. I'm not a touch typist and the
letters are worn off over half the keys - - -

bruce2...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2016, 6:08:14 AM7/17/16
Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 10:29:41 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
> <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Larry Jaques wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree. That might mean they would have noone to talk to for months
>>> or years. Some highly intelligent people are happy to talk to us
>>> lesser beings (125 when young). Feynman was a happy teacher. Einstein
>>> was a very personable brainiac. I'm sure there are many more.
>>

>> I don't know what mine was, when I graduated. The school kept
>> pushing e to look at the results, and telling me that I should go to law
>> or medical school rather than into Electronics.
>
> Boy did YOU make the right decision.

How many doctors or lawyers design hardware, for space? :)

>> I was so fed up with
>> several bad teachers that I just wanted to get away from the place. I
>> routinely received the top scores in the school district on other
>> standard tests, but it just wasn't important to me at that time. I
>> recently ran into some people I went to school with, and one of their
>> younger brothers referred to me as "You were that genius, weren't you?"
>
> I got a bit of that myself, but I graduated directly from high school
> into alcoholism and ran with a dumb crowd for awhile.

Well that's better than moving straight into the meth or crack house. Its the style, man.

bests...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2016, 11:35:26 PM10/19/16

http://trumpevaluation.blogspot.com/