NEED steady rest for SB 10K

Steve Davis

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
looking for a steady rest for SB 10K. i've tried the usual sources:
Plaza, Sobel, PKE but no luck. also looking for *complete* mechanical
table feed mechanism for SB MIL 4218. i know about the component at
Hargrove but it's only the pedestal for the quick change gearbox and
i need the whole thing. any pointers sincerely appreciated.
--
Steve Davis .................. telephone: (770) 345 2141 .........
Nikodyne Technologies .............. fax: (770) [dead] ...........

Jim Hanrahan

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
In article <4l6tuu$g...@alterdial.UU.NET> s...@nikodyne.com (Steve Davis) writes:

>looking for a steady rest for SB 10K. i've tried the usual sources:
>Plaza, Sobel, PKE but no luck.

I plan on making a steady for my South Bend using the castings from Metal
Lathe Accessories in PA. When I asked Sobel, he said, "Every lathe was most
likely shipped new with one, so someone must have a closet full of them; but I
am not that person."

Jim Hanrahan, PE, CP-IA Naval Surface Warfare Center
hanr...@oasys.dt.navy.mil Annapolis, Maryland, USA

Kevin Pinkerton

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
On Tue, 23 Apr 1996 17:44:30 GMT, hanr...@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Jim
Hanrahan) wrote:

>I plan on making a steady for my South Bend using the castings from Metal
>Lathe Accessories in PA.

Jim, Could you post alittle more information on the Metal Lathe
Accessories foundry in PA. Like what sort of stuff they cast and phone
numbers and such. I want to make a steady rest and follower rest for
my clausing 12x36 if possible someday.

Thanks,
Kevin

James Kirkpatrick

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
|>Jim, Could you post alittle more information on the Metal Lathe
|>Accessories foundry in PA. Like what sort of stuff they cast and phone
|>numbers and such. I want to make a steady rest and follower rest for
|>my clausing 12x36 if possible someday.

From the FAQ:

- Metal Lathe Accessories
Box 88
Pine Grove Mills, PA 16868

Mostly castings and raw-parts kits for common and useful lathe
accessories, mostly for lathes similar to 9- or 10-inch South
Bend and Atlas-style units. A T-slot cross slide, rear mounting
tool post, faceplate, milling attachment, boring/facing head,
large steady rest, boring and ball-turning tool post, and others.
Also a toolpost grinder kit. You can order kits, or just drawings.

Russ Kepler

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
In article <317d3532...@transcom.capcon.net>,

Kevin Pinkerton <kpin...@eagle1.eaglenet.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 23 Apr 1996 17:44:30 GMT, hanr...@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Jim
>Hanrahan) wrote:
>
>>I plan on making a steady for my South Bend using the castings from Metal
>>Lathe Accessories in PA.
>
>Jim, Could you post alittle more information on the Metal Lathe
>Accessories foundry in PA. Like what sort of stuff they cast and phone
>numbers and such. I want to make a steady rest and follower rest for
>my clausing 12x36 if possible someday.

If I might jump in, I've made several of the MLA kits and can offer
some experience. I've made something like 4 of his kits, all for my
Atlas 12". I've made the T-slot cross slide, rear mount tool post,
ball turning and boring bar holder and the machinist's fitter's rule
(still in the process of scraping flat). All of the castings I've
received have been in good condition, the only complaint (if it can be
considered a complaint) is that often I've had to remove a
considerable amount of "meat" from a casting, but this is a natural
result of having one kit fit all sorts of different lathes. The
drawings are all well done, with good machining notes accompanying the
drawings, and notes on different setups for differet lathes.

If you've ever gotten any of the G. Thomas kits from Hemingway you'll
see a lot more written material in an MLA kit (as well as more
dimensions, my most frustrating experience with a Geo Thomas
drawing...)

As a matter of fact, as a result of this set of posts and some email I
may well order a couple more of the kits - I'd like to set up a
special face plate for the lathe for some of the work I'm doing on a
small steam engine, and the transfer block would be handy to have
around. If I do the face plate I may as well do the angle bracket
(right?).

Besides, I've decided that whacking on cast iron is one of the few
pleasures left in life after a fine scotch, and my doctor has cut me
back on scotch (I'm not going to mention cast iron cutting to him,
ever.)

--
Russ Kepler posting from home ru...@bbxrbk.basis.com

Please don't feed the Engineers

George Edwards

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96
to Steve Davis

You might try Blue Ridge Machinery and Tools, Inc. P.O. Box 536
Hurricane, WV 25526-0536...Telelphone: 1-800-872-6500.
Fax: 304-562-5311. They list South Bend Equipment and accessories in
their catalog.

1972s...@gmail.com

May 12, 2018, 10:33:16 AM5/12/18
Hi,I'm looking for a southbend 10k telescoping steady and follow rest! If you have or know of any for sale please email me at 1972s...@gmail.com thank you Aaron