3-D prototyping printer?

DaveC

Nov 3, 2009, 2:45:11 PM11/3/09
I remember seeing a web page describing a process that deposited (sprayed?)
material (plastic?) to build up a CAD design so that in the end you have a
3-D prototype of your design.

Basically, a CNC machine that adds material, not takes it away.

Can someone point me to a web reference of this type of machine?

Thanks,
Dave

Spehro Pefhany

Nov 3, 2009, 3:05:46 PM11/3/09

There are MANY different such machines, and they produce imperfect
parts with different characteristics.

Basic methods are--

SLA - stereolithography, where a laser polymerizes a liquid and
it emerges from a bath of liquid like the creature from the
black lagoon

FDM - fused deposition modelling- sort of an automated glue gun
lays down layers. Eg. Stratsys.

LOM - laminated object manufacturing- a roll of plastic is cut
with an automated knife to create layers of the end product

SLS - Selective laser sintering (of powder). This has been combined
with inkjet color printing to produce colorful 3-D object.
Metal powder is possible.

Google for "Rapid Prototyping" and you'll find more info, machines,
service bureaus etc.

Part finish and material bulk characteristics are rather inferior to
solid material in every sense (strength, porosity etc.) and it's
possible to make structures that are not machinable and not
injection moldable (eg. with complex internal voids etc.).

If you don't mind doing a bit of work afterward (polishing, drilling,
filing, painting etc) you can get a fairly good idea of what an
injection molded part will look like before spending the money for a
mold-- even demonstrate functional prototypes at trade shows etc.
Ideal for 'industrial engineers' interested in cool sculptured shapes
etc.

I'm currently using several different methods (through service
bureaus) to create small quantities of plastic and metal parts for
high tech applications. I do the modelling in Solidworks, output an
STL file, send it off, and parts arrive by courier in a bit.

steamer

Nov 3, 2009, 3:08:45 PM11/3/09
--Ifyawanna roll your own there are several open-source stereolith
projects in the wild. Check out reprap.org for one and there's another over
at makezine.com

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Currently broke and
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : looking for a job...

DaveC

Nov 3, 2009, 3:41:58 PM11/3/09
> Google for "Rapid Prototyping" and you'll find more info, machines,
> service bureaus etc.

Ah. Google is so much more efficient when you have the right terminology :-)
Thanks, SP!

Tim Wescott

Nov 3, 2009, 3:45:12 PM11/3/09

You often don't need to go through the finishing steps if all you want to
do is fit checks or ergonomic studies.

I've seen the FDM stuff done in wax, and thought it'd be great way to do
one-off metal parts if you could just use it as the wax for investment
casting.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Joe Pfeiffer

Nov 3, 2009, 3:54:29 PM11/3/09
DaveC <inv...@invalid.net> writes:

One particular project I find really exciting (on my list of things to
do, when all the current projects are finally completed) is reprap.org

Paul O

Nov 3, 2009, 5:08:53 PM11/3/09
to Tim Wescott
Tim Wescott wrote, On 11/3/2009 3:45 PM:
> <snip>

> You often don't need to go through the finishing steps if all you want to
> do is fit checks or ergonomic studies.
>
> I've seen the FDM stuff done in wax, and thought it'd be great way to do
> one-off metal parts if you could just use it as the wax for investment
> casting.

It is already available. The model along with gates, sprue, and vents
are made using an SLS or a ThermoJet rapid prototyping machine.

<http://www.vistatek.com/capabilities_mc_icp.html>
<http://investment-casting-prototypes.harvest-tech.com/investment_casting_prototypes.htm>

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Paul O

Nov 3, 2009, 5:09:18 PM11/3/09
Tim Wescott wrote, On 11/3/2009 3:45 PM:
> <snip>
> You often don't need to go through the finishing steps if all you want to
> do is fit checks or ergonomic studies.
>
> I've seen the FDM stuff done in wax, and thought it'd be great way to do
> one-off metal parts if you could just use it as the wax for investment
> casting.

Mark F

Nov 4, 2009, 7:58:26 AM11/4/09
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> DaveC <inv...@invalid.net> writes:
>
>> I remember seeing a web page describing a process that deposited (sprayed?)
>> material (plastic?) to build up a CAD design so that in the end you have a
>> 3-D prototype of your design.
>>
>> Basically, a CNC machine that adds material, not takes it away.
>>
>> Can someone point me to a web reference of this type of machine?
>
> One particular project I find really exciting (on my list of things to
> do, when all the current projects are finally completed) is reprap.org
You could join this yahoo group...
diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication
/mark

cavelamb

Nov 4, 2009, 10:30:25 PM11/4/09

At the other end of the spectrum from DIY home stereolithography,

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33626447/ns/technology_and_science-space/

Space explorers have yet to get their hands on the replicator of "Star Trek" to
create anything they might require. But NASA has developed a technology that
could enable lunar colonists to carry out on-site manufacturing on the moon, or
allow future astronauts to create critical spare parts during the long trip to Mars.

The method, called electron beam freeform fabrication (EBF3), uses an electron
beam to melt metals and build objects layer by layer. Such an approach already
promises to cut manufacturing costs for the aerospace industry, and could
pioneer development of new materials. It has also thrilled astronauts on the
International Space Station by dangling the possibility of designing new tools
or objects, researchers said.

iman way

Nov 14, 2009, 12:38:17 PM11/14/09

I believe that my topic is useful and I would like to share my
thoughts.
THANK YOU.

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Muslims are taught that prophets are humans who have been selected by
God for a special purpose. They are given miracles to assist them in
their message but these miracles are not performed through their own
power, but through the power of God. The prophets of God have no
divine powers of their own, nor even the power to decide who will go
to heaven or to hell. They are merely there to convey the message
entrusted to them by God to the best of their ability.

In a similar manner, Muhammad (pbuh) was assisted by God with a number
of miracles and entrusted to convey His message to mankind. Muhammad
(pbuh) himself, however, was just a regular human being. He could not
issue passes to heaven. He could not condemn people to hell. He could
not change what was in people’s hearts. He could only convey the
message and hope that they would believe.

Muhammad (pbuh) lived like any other man or woman of his people. He
dressed like they dressed. He ate the same food they ate. He lived in
the same manner and in the same sort of houses they did. It would be
impossible for someone who did not know him to pick him out of a
crowd.

Muhammad (pbuh) taught his followers through example. If he commanded
his followers to do something, he would be the first to abide by this
command. He never broke his word, he was by far the most charitable
man among his people. He was the most God-fearing and the least
attached to this life.

He never in his life accepted charity, but worked for a living. He
never lied. It was not at all uncommon for him to spend months on end
enduring severe hunger never seeing a single cooked meal. He taught
his followers to be merciful to their children and respectful to their
elders. He commanded them to never taste alcohol, gamble, engage in
usury (interest), fornication, envy, deceit, or back-biting.

Muhammad (pbuh) taught that no human being needs any other human being
to intercede for him with God. He showed them that God is within the
reach of all his creation. He hears and sees all and answers His
servant’s prayers.

Muhammad (pbuh) further severely cautioned against promoting any of
God’s creation or groups thereof to higher levels of divine authority
and closeness to God than others, or the excessive glorification of
any human being. This includes the prophets of God themselves. He
taught that the very best of God’s servants are those who continuously
seek out knowledge and that God sees all that they do.

Muhammad (pbuh) taught his followers to be industrious and to earn an
honest living. He taught them that the best Muslims are those who are
not overly obsessed with earthly wealth since excessive wealth usually
leads to corruption.

However, he also taught that a wealthy person who is not blinded by
his wealth is not condemned by God and may even be able to utilize his
wealth in acts of worship not available to the poor. In other words,
Muhammad (pbuh) taught moderation in all things.

There is much more that could be said about the teachings of Muhammad
(pbuh), however, probably one of the most general summaries made by
Muhammad (pbuh) in this regard was:

"Righteousness is good conduct, and sin is that which weaves inside
your chest and you hate for it to be revealed to mankind."

================

For more information about Islam

http://english.islamway.com/

http://www.islamhouse.com/

http://www.discoverislam.com/

http://www.islambasics.com/index.php

http://english.islamway.com/

http://www.islamtoday.net/english/

http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/MainPage/indexe.php

http://www.sultan.org/

Contact Us At

Imanwa...@gmail.com

Paul_AtreidestheMuadib

Nov 22, 2009, 9:51:17 AM11/22/09

the 3D PRINER WAS INSPIRED TO CHINESE GODS,BY CORTEZ

Paul_AtreidestheMuadib

Nov 22, 2009, 9:53:52 AM11/22/09
On Nov 3, 9:05 pm, Spehro Pefhany <speffS...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat>
wrote:

To choose the best method,look for methods with same synchretic
backgrounds

F. George McDuffee

Nov 22, 2009, 11:39:12 AM11/22/09
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:38:17 -0800 (PST), iman way
<imanw...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

>> > Basically, a CNC machine that adds material, not takes it away.
>>
>> > Can someone point me to a web reference of this type of machine?

<snip>
------------------
see http://www.objet.com/

I had enquired:
"In the case of your product, I raised the question about using
the generated model as a ram EDM form after vacuum metalizing or
possibly using a conductive/graphite loaded matrix material.

I can also see easy core production for plaster casting, either
directly for low volume/prototype or for the waxes for investment
casting, including quick calculation of the shrink factors by
scaling the cartoon.

I would love to have one for my shop. What do the machines start
at, and how much is a resin cartridge?

Anyone operating a service shop where you can email the cartoon
in DWG/IGES etc. and get a part back?

In part their response was:

i Again,

I heard back from Gerry, one of our application engineers. Our
current
customers can use any CAD software that will output a STL file.
Once in
STL form - the files can be attached to our software and printed
on our
machines.

As for service bureaus, there are plenty out there. I have sent
this
email to Kirby Quirk, our sales rep out in your area. He can
connect you
with a shop that has the ability to print your parts with our
printers.

Again, if there is anything you need, please do not hesitate to
give me
a call (978-495-5542) or shoot me out an email
Richar...@objet.com

Thanks and I'll talk to you soon!

Rich
__________________________
Richard Wolff
Inside Sales Representative

Objet Geometries, Inc.
5 Fortune Drive
Billerica, Ma 01821

Phone: 978-495-5542
Fax: 866-676-1533
Email: Richar...@objet.com
Visit us at: www.Objet.com

Their email is now a little dated [13 Nov 2008] so Mr. Wolff may
no longer be there.

amdx

Dec 23, 2009, 9:57:56 PM12/23/09

"DaveC" <inv...@invalid.net> wrote in message
Jay Leno discusses a system.
http://widgets.nbc.com/o/47f1317f105123ad/498ebd00a62edaa0/47fe70d4555df05a/9e46bd46/-cpid/ba4377d3bfd6c81

Doug White

Dec 24, 2009, 8:44:30 AM12/24/09
"amdx" <am...@knology.net> wrote in

You can also build your own:

http://fabathome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Doug White

Bob Summers

Dec 25, 2009, 12:09:09 AM12/25/09
Red Eye does stuff like that

http://redeyeondemand.com/CurrentIssue.aspx#2

Here's a full size turboprop engine model

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALA2Gp59_IM

Bob S

Frnak McKenney

Dec 25, 2009, 9:18:20 AM12/25/09
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 21:09:09 -0800, Bob Summers <powermatic6...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 20:57:56 -0600, "amdx" <am...@knology.net> wrote:
>>"DaveC" <inv...@invalid.net> wrote in message
>>>I remember seeing a web page describing a process that deposited (sprayed?)
>>> material (plastic?) to build up a CAD design so that in the end you have a
>>> 3-D prototype of your design.
>>>
>>> Basically, a CNC machine that adds material, not takes it away.
>>>
>>> Can someone point me to a web reference of this type of machine?
--snip--

>> Jay Leno discusses a system.
>>http://widgets.nbc.com/o/47f1317f105123ad/498ebd00a62edaa0/
>> 47fe70d4555df05a/9e46bd46/-cpid/ba4377d3bfd6c81
--snip--

> Red Eye does stuff like that
>
> http://redeyeondemand.com/CurrentIssue.aspx#2
>
> Here's a full size turboprop engine model
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALA2Gp59_IM

One place to start researching would be with keywords like

prototyping stereolithography 3d printer plotter fabrication

and possibly adding

(build OR design OR create OR hack OR construct OR make)

The basic concept is simple: construct something out of thin
layers, a sort of reversal of the microtome process you might have
used to create slides in high school biology.

The details (Devil(tm) included <grin!>) have to do with what
material(s) you use, how you go about "fixing" that part of the
material you want (or possibly removing material you don't want),
and how to start on a new layer when the previous one is done.

Here, for example, is a homebrew unit that lays down a thin layer of
"plaster" dust and fixes the wanted portion by spraying "water" from
an old inkjet mechanism. (Wish my Brother ink-jet cartridges were
as cheap!):

http://homemade3dprinter.blogspot.com/

This one uses a hot-air/sugar process to create edible results:

http://www.evilmadscientist,com/article.php/candyfab

And there's the MIT approach to working in pasta:

http://fab.cba.mit.edu/classes/MIT/863.07/11.05/fabaroni/

This one is more of a 2D-with-assist plotter, but it deserves
mention because of its construction medium: chocolate! <grin!>

http://www.instructables.com/id/
3D-chocolate-printer-made-from-LEGO/

Oh, and here's a Wiki devoted to home fabrication:

http://www.fabathome.org/

Enjoy... and a Merry Christmas! to all.

Frank McKenney
--
Rich men write stories about poor men, and describe them as
speaking with a coarse, or heavy, or husky enunciation. But if

donkey1

Jul 16, 2012, 4:38:48 AM7/16/12
if your in the UK this months model engineers workshop has an article on the
machine.
Bri

Mark Thorson

Jul 16, 2012, 12:21:35 PM7/16/12
donkey1 wrote:

> if your in the UK this months model engineers workshop has an article on the
> machine.

Here's another article:

http://www.wired.com/design/2012/07/3-d-printers-that-dont-suck/