OT: Fancy Schmancy Coffee Maker

Bob La Londe

Nov 24, 2015, 1:37:18 PM11/24/15
I'm not too particular about my coffee except I do like not having too many
grounds in the cup. My wife on the other hand is into all that fancy
"stuff." We've had a Jura coffee maker for many years. Its been sent back
to be rebuilt two or three times, and its been sitting broken on the counter
top again for the last couple years. It was quite expensive when we got it.
Its the kind that grinds the beans presses them into a cake, and forces
steam through them on a cup by cup basis. Well it is when it works. I've
been bugging my wife to just throw the darn thing in the dumpster for the
last year and a half, but she keeps making noise about fixing it again. I
hate throwing good money after bad, and its taking up valuable real estate
on the kitchen counter. I'ld get her another one if it would last. Any
suggestions?

No the Kurig prepacked marketing and RMR generating machine is not really an
option.

Personally I am perfectly happy with my Mr Coffee and some Folgers, but I'm
sure you've heard the cliche many times. "Happy wife, happy life."

whit3rd

Nov 24, 2015, 2:25:37 PM11/24/15
This model might have some appeal:

<http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070618#.VlS5LBzI99s>

Or, just get a stovetop "moka" and do the messy steps by hand.

Leon Fisk

Nov 24, 2015, 3:27:00 PM11/24/15
On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:38:32 -0700
"Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99> wrote:

<snip>
>Personally I am perfectly happy with my Mr Coffee and some Folgers, but I'm
>sure you've heard the cliche many times. "Happy wife, happy life."

I happy with instant. Want it stronger, add more spoon fulls. Want it
fresh, heat some water, put instant in cup, pour in water, viola!

I've got a little hand grinder, old Black & Decker Cup-At-A-Time... but
I got tired of all the messing around years ago. Any kind of coffee
is better than no coffee ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

SnA Higgins

Nov 24, 2015, 7:58:35 PM11/24/15

"Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99> wrote in message
I got the bare bones Kuerig for Christmas last year. They also gave me a
variety pack of coffee flavors to try. I ended up buying a re-usable
strainer cup at WallyWorld and putting Folgers in. The strainer cup allows
very fine grounds through to your drinking cup. You don't feel them when
you swallow, but if you pour a half cup (of cold) out in the sink you'll see
them.

The grocery store had a strainer cup assembly from Manelli(sp) that I tried.
It had little paper filters that would fit in the strainer cup. The first
time I tried it the Kuerig made a noise like I'd blown a seal in it
somewhere. I figured the unit had a positive displacement pump that couldn't
force water through the paper filter restriction. I went back to the
WallyWorld cup. The Kuerig works ok, but now it takes longer to fill the
drinking cup.

I like the Kuerig now that I'm retired. I can drink a cup when I want and
don't have to put up with that gear oil that's been cooking away in the
coffee pot for 2 hours. I had a stainless Thermos that did a good job of
keeping warm, but that last cup tasted old. Now I just make another fresh
one.

Steve

User Bp

Nov 24, 2015, 9:54:05 PM11/24/15
Bob La Londe <no...@none.com99> wrote:
> "stuff." We've had a Jura coffee maker for many years. Its been sent back
> to be rebuilt two or three times, and its been sitting broken on the counter
> top again for the last couple years. It was quite expensive when we got it.
> Its the kind that grinds the beans presses them into a cake, and forces
> steam through them on a cup by cup basis. Well it is when it works. I've
> been bugging my wife to just throw the darn thing in the dumpster for the
> last year and a half, but she keeps making noise about fixing it again. I
> hate throwing good money after bad, and its taking up valuable real estate
> on the kitchen counter. I'ld get her another one if it would last. Any
> suggestions?

It's a balance between money and effort. If one-button convenience is mandatory,
you're kinda stuck with a super-automatic. That's more or less guaranteed to be
trouble, but possibly less trouble than a divorce 8-) What's wrong with the Jura?

> Personally I am perfectly happy with my Mr Coffee and some Folgers, but I'm
> sure you've heard the cliche many times. "Happy wife, happy life."

Nothing wrong with drip coffee, the key items are good quality coffee and a
good burr grinder. It really helps to grind the coffee immediately before
brewing, don't let it sit overnight venting flavor and aroma. A Bialetti
Moka Express makes a different style of coffee, but the keys are the same:
Good coffee, good grinder, brew right after grinding.

I'm not up current on coffee equipment, mine dates from '88 or '89. It's an
Olympia Coffex, (modern version is Maximatic), and an Olympia grinder. I keep
a Moka Express as a backup when the Coffex goes down hard. So far the grinder
hasn't given any trouble. The Coffex has been through three pumps, one heater
and a few group gaskets. I'll keep fixing it as long as I can buy or make parts.
The machine heats on a timer, grinding and pulling a shot takes maybe 3 minutes.

hth,

bob prohaska

Larry Jaques

Nov 24, 2015, 11:55:32 PM11/24/15
On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 02:51:39 -0000 (UTC), User Bp <b...@www.zefox.net>
wrote:
Since moving to a French Press coffeemaker years ago, I won't use
anything else by choice. Yes, they're a hassle to clean each time,
but the coffee they produce is very, very good. 100% manual, meaning
that I can have -exactly- the cuppa I'm looking for each time.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.

Jon Danniken

Nov 25, 2015, 5:31:59 PM11/25/15
On 11/24/2015 08:55 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

> Since moving to a French Press coffeemaker years ago, I won't use
> anything else by choice. Yes, they're a hassle to clean each time,
> but the coffee they produce is very, very good. 100% manual, meaning
> that I can have -exactly- the cuppa I'm looking for each time.

I do something similar, except I use a filter cone and a pot of water.
Water gets heated, grounds go in the water for awhile, then gets poured
through the filter.

Integrated into my morning routine, it turns out a perfect cup every time.

Jon

roger...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2015, 6:09:11 PM12/15/15
I know I am a bit late with this suggestion but look into the aeropress See:

http://www.aerobie.com/product/aeropress/

A whole lot cheaper than a dedicated machine and not prone to failure.

jon_banquer

Dec 15, 2015, 7:10:59 PM12/15/15

pyotr filipivich

Dec 15, 2015, 11:54:01 PM12/15/15
roger...@gmail.com on Tue, 15 Dec 2015 15:09:07 -0800 (PST) typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
If you insist on pushing water through the grounds get a "Mokka
Pots" - add water, add coffee, put on stove. Five minutes - done.
I've a dedicated Espresso machine, it sits on the counter and does
one thing: heat water and force it under pressure through coffee
grounds. No problems in the eight plus years I've had it. (Okay, once
I totally spaced and it pumped all the water through grounds, into the
cup, over the cup, into the overflow tray, filled that and then onto
the counter. And then shut off when there was no more water. Good
example of 'idiot proofing'.)

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr
Job creation and destruction are both relentless.