Wish I had More Money

Bob La Londe

Apr 21, 2016, 6:16:59 PM4/21/16
I just stopped by the shop of a guy who is retiring. Mills, lathes, surface grinder, all kinds of stuff. Its not salvage prices, but everything was under power. I seriously looked at a band saw he had. 18" throat. Its 3 phase though so I would have to rewire it and put an inverter on it.

I did buy three anglock vises for... eh-hem... $50 each, a nice 24x36 granite surface plate with stand, and a 20 ton shop press so I can finally retire my 12 ton instead of repairing it every time I overload it.

I am really looking forward to getting that surface plate in the shop. I've been meaning to buy one to help with some machine building I am doing, but I just kept putting it off.

et...@whidbey.com

Apr 21, 2016, 6:42:26 PM4/21/16
I have three surface plates. The biggest is a 2' x 3' x 4" thick that
I bought on sale. When I bought it I had just had bone grafting done
on one wrist and asked the warehouse if they could keep it for me for
a while. They said sure and then called me about a month later and
said I needed to come get it. So I drove down and had it loaded. It
lay in the bed of the truck, in the crate, for at least another month
while I built a stand for it. Since it weighed about 400 lbs. I needed
help moving it. I rigged up a primitive crane, removed the crate, and
managed to get it out of the truck and onto the wheeled stand without
mishap so I was pretty proud of myself, especially because by the time
I finally got the stand built my other wrist had gone through the bone
graft business and so I did the plate transfer basically only using
one hand. I really like the big plate and wish I had a 4' x 5'.
Eric

Jon Elson

Apr 21, 2016, 6:50:19 PM4/21/16
Bob La Londe wrote:

> I am really looking forward to getting that surface plate in the shop.
> I've been meaning to buy one to help with some machine building I am
> doing, but I just kept putting it off.

WARNING!!! Watch your back. I permanantly messed up something in my back
trying to slide one out of a station wagon.

Jon

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Apr 21, 2016, 8:03:26 PM4/21/16
Bob La Londe <alarm_...@hotmail.com> fired this volley in

> I am really looking forward to getting that surface plate in the shop.
> I've been meaning to buy one to help with some machine building I am
> doing, but I just kept putting it off.

You won't regret that last purchase, Bob. Just don't turn it into a
"table" like so many other folks do. I go into shops all the time where
the surface plate (with OR without a cover on it) is covered with "other
stuff" not-at-all related to the use of a surface plate! (Oh! We clear
it off, if we need it..." "Well, how do you clean it?" "Clean it? With a
bench brush!")

I'm sure you wouldn't do that, but you'd be amazed at how often I see it!

But, then, I spent some time in a "multi-million $$ corporate maintenance
shop" this week that didn't own a bandsaw or a metal brake, even though
they do cutoff work daily (by hand) and do ductwork revisions about three
times a month. They had not ONE 118-bit drill set in the place -- just
little plastic consumer drill 'kits' with a few drills missing. (Oh, it
broke!)

Oh... but they do have a brand-new Enco mill-drill-lathe combo -- the
pride and joy of their whole shop!

The longitudinal feed is so sticky they cannot hand-advance it properly
for turning, the cross-slide is so loose they cannot prevent it from
hogging-in, they have no tailstock drill chuck, and presently only use
the thing as a miniature drill press! Oh... and it's a friggin' change-
gear machine! (To be sure, I offered no suggestions...<shrug>)

So, you're in MUCH better shape, even though you don't work for a company
billing over $30 million per year from that one facility!

LLoyd

Ed Huntress

Apr 21, 2016, 8:47:15 PM4/21/16
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 19:03:23 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
<lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

>Bob La Londe <alarm_...@hotmail.com> fired this volley in
>
>> I am really looking forward to getting that surface plate in the shop.
>> I've been meaning to buy one to help with some machine building I am
>> doing, but I just kept putting it off.
>
>You won't regret that last purchase, Bob. Just don't turn it into a
>"table" like so many other folks do. I go into shops all the time where
>the surface plate (with OR without a cover on it) is covered with "other
>stuff" not-at-all related to the use of a surface plate! (Oh! We clear
>it off, if we need it..." "Well, how do you clean it?" "Clean it? With a
>bench brush!")

<snip>

When I see coffee-cup rings on the surface plate in a small shop, I
assume I'd better hurry up and get my interview before they go out of
business. <g>

--
Ed Huntress

Ignoramus12254

Apr 21, 2016, 10:51:56 PM4/21/16
Yeah, me too.

pyotr filipivich

Apr 21, 2016, 11:02:36 PM4/21/16
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> on Thu, 21 Apr
2016 19:03:23 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
>Bob La Londe <alarm_...@hotmail.com> fired this volley in
>
>> I am really looking forward to getting that surface plate in the shop.
>> I've been meaning to buy one to help with some machine building I am
>> doing, but I just kept putting it off.
>
>You won't regret that last purchase, Bob. Just don't turn it into a
>"table" like so many other folks do. I go into shops all the time where
>the surface plate (with OR without a cover on it) is covered with "other
>stuff" not-at-all related to the use of a surface plate! (Oh! We clear
>it off, if we need it..." "Well, how do you clean it?" "Clean it? With a
>bench brush!")

First time I went to use one, the guy showing me how said "Go get
a cup of coffee." Which he then poured on the block in order to
dissolve the kruft from the cutting fluid "spray". Night shift
coffee, not meant for consumption by ordinary mortals.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich

Larry Jaques

Apr 22, 2016, 7:43:00 PM4/22/16
CHARbucks coffee? Stick a spoon in it and it stands straight up?

--
If you want to make your dreams come true,
the first thing you have to do is wake up!

pyotr filipivich

Apr 23, 2016, 12:03:22 PM4/23/16
Larry Jaques <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> on Fri, 22 Apr 2016
16:43:18 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Stick a spoon in it and the spoon dissolves.

Night shift. Where the instructions say "add one package" - we
made it with three or four, depending.

Gunner Asch

Apr 23, 2016, 7:10:44 PM4/23/16
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 15:16:56 -0700 (PDT), Bob La Londe
<alarm_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Remember...3 pucks of any material under the surface plate..not 4

Gunner Asch

Apr 23, 2016, 7:10:59 PM4/23/16
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 21:51:54 -0500, Ignoramus12254
<ignoram...@NOSPAM.12254.invalid> wrote:

>Yeah, me too.

Dittos

Larry Jaques

Apr 23, 2016, 11:54:07 PM4/23/16
On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 16:07:10 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Money? What's that?

whoyak...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2016, 11:20:55 AM4/24/16
On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 20:54:31 -0700, Larry Jaques
<lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 16:07:10 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 21:51:54 -0500, Ignoramus12254
>><ignoram...@NOSPAM.12254.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>Yeah, me too.

>>Dittos
>
>Money? What's that?

What a shock that the Wieberites are broke. http://tinyurl.com/7rk5683

Now, I know you'll say that you're actually smart, and it's everybody
else that's stupid. There's just one small problem with your opinion:
http://geekologie.com/2014/12/john-cleese-explains-why-stupid-people-a.php

So you spent a good part of your life imagining that having your brain
cells play bumper cars with each other while laughing at juvenile
Hillary jokes proved your intelligence. It all made perfect sense to
you, and it STILL does! Congratulations, you're now living your
reward.

BTW, next time you're staring into your bowl of store-brand corn
flakes, remember... Benghazi!

Ignoramus7945

Apr 24, 2016, 11:27:46 AM4/24/16
On 2016-04-24, whoyak...@gmail.com <whoyak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now, I know you'll say that you're actually smart, and it's everybody
> else that's stupid. There's just one small problem with your opinion:
> http://geekologie.com/2014/12/john-cleese-explains-why-stupid-people-a.php
>
> So you spent a good part of your life imagining that having your brain
> cells play bumper cars with each other while laughing at juvenile
> Hillary jokes proved your intelligence. It all made perfect sense to
> you, and it STILL does! Congratulations, you're now living your
> reward.
>
> BTW, next time you're staring into your bowl of store-brand corn
> flakes, remember... Benghazi!

OK, but how do you prove to us that you are not stupid?

whoyak...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2016, 11:39:54 AM4/24/16
Why would I need or want to prove anything to you?

dca...@krl.org

Apr 24, 2016, 11:47:08 AM4/24/16
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 11:39:54 AM UTC-4, whoyak...@gmail.com wrote:

> Why would I need or want to prove anything to you?

If you do not want to prove anything to readers of this newsgroup, then why do you post. The fact that you post is evidence you want to prove something.

Dan

whoyak...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2016, 11:53:22 AM4/24/16
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 08:47:05 -0700 (PDT), "dca...@krl.org"
<dca...@krl.org> wrote:

>On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 11:39:54 AM UTC-4, whoyak...@gmail.com wrote:
>

>> Why would I need or want to prove anything to you?
>
>If you do not want to prove anything to readers of this newsgroup, then why do you post.

There could be lots of reasons. Perhaps I have arthritic fingers that
need exercising.

> The fact that you post is evidence you want to prove something.

No, it isn't. But the fact you can only think of one reason to post
proves something about you. Can you guess what it is?

Ignoramus7945

Apr 24, 2016, 12:35:04 PM4/24/16
Well, if you want me to listen to you, you have to convince me of your
intellectual abilities, don't you think so?

Gunner Asch

Apr 24, 2016, 1:22:29 PM4/24/16
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 10:27:43 -0500, Ignoramus7945
<ignora...@NOSPAM.7945.invalid> wrote:

Oh this is going to be fun watching, given that he has already proven
stupidity ..butt stupidity...over and over and over again.

dca...@krl.org

Apr 24, 2016, 3:51:02 PM4/24/16
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 11:53:22 AM UTC-4, whoyak...@gmail.com wrote:

> > The fact that you post is evidence you want to prove something.
>
> No, it isn't. But the fact you can only think of one reason to post
> proves something about you. Can you guess what it is?

No.

Dan

whoyak...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2016, 4:27:22 PM4/24/16
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 11:35:02 -0500, Ignoramus7945
No, I don't care if you listen to me or not. But you're obviously
listening anyway.

whoyak...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2016, 4:28:52 PM4/24/16
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 10:18:42 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Let's see you produce an example of my "stupidly." You won't. All
you'll do is make more declarations, the same as you declared you had
a "ranch" which turned out to be an well-encumbered mobile home on a
tiny rented lot. Pretty much the polar opposite of an owned ranch. So
your declarations are proven absolutely worthless. In fact, unless and
until you apologize for the past lying, promise to stop lying and mean
it, anything you say should be considered bullshit until verified with
evidence. You might look up the definition of evidence. Here's an
example of what it looks like.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.crafts.metalworking/vVyU85lFgEw/HaZNT3DQDgAJ
Not coincidentally, it also happens to proves what an incompetent
bullshit artist you are.

whoyak...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2016, 4:46:02 PM4/24/16

Gunner Asch

Apr 24, 2016, 5:44:17 PM4/24/16
Killfile this one, he seldom changes his nym.

adayinthel...@bwilson.com

Apr 24, 2016, 6:55:13 PM4/24/16
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 14:40:29 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Wrong again, dimwit.

dca...@krl.org

Apr 24, 2016, 7:00:22 PM4/24/16
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 4:46:02 PM UTC-4, whoyak...@gmail.com wrote:

> >> No, it isn't. But the fact you can only think of one reason to post
> >> proves something about you. Can you guess what it is?
> >
> >No.
>
> Here, see if this helps you.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

That did not help either.

Dan

whoyak...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2016, 7:13:25 PM4/24/16
Oh well, I doubt anyone will be surprised to read that.

Ignoramus7945

Apr 24, 2016, 8:11:34 PM4/24/16
I have not seen any substantial contribution to anything of value,
coming from you. Only worthless drivel and lame attempts to pick up
fights.

studentdemon...@bwilson.com

Apr 24, 2016, 8:53:40 PM4/24/16
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 19:11:32 -0500, Ignoramus7945
Keep reading if you like, or not. Are you too helpless to stop? It
would seem so.

Good Soldier Schweik

Apr 24, 2016, 9:44:28 PM4/24/16
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 11:35:02 -0500, Ignoramus7945
No he doesn't have to prove anything. Ever heard the analogy of "a
fart in a wind storm" used as an example of the importance of
something? (Or someone?)

--

Cheers,

Schweik