OT: Anyone know anything about wireless stereo speakers?

Larry Jaques

Jul 17, 2016, 6:06:30 PM7/17/16
My sister wants my advice about wireless audio but I've never even
seen a demo of the beasties. If some of you use them, I'd love to
hear feedback about what to look for and what to avoid.

One Amazon review said they had problems with the bluetooth fading
from side to side on a Visio 5.1 soundbar setup with sat spkrs.
Others love it.

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Gunner Asch

Jul 17, 2016, 8:35:27 PM7/17/16
On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 15:06:28 -0700, Larry Jaques
<lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

>My sister wants my advice about wireless audio but I've never even
>seen a demo of the beasties. If some of you use them, I'd love to
>hear feedback about what to look for and what to avoid.
>
>One Amazon review said they had problems with the bluetooth fading
>from side to side on a Visio 5.1 soundbar setup with sat spkrs.
>Others love it.

Buddy of mine uses it..works great

---

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 17, 2016, 10:33:46 PM7/17/16
On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 15:06:28 -0700, Larry Jaques
<lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

>My sister wants my advice about wireless audio but I've never even
>seen a demo of the beasties. If some of you use them, I'd love to
>hear feedback about what to look for and what to avoid.
>
>One Amazon review said they had problems with the bluetooth fading
>from side to side on a Visio 5.1 soundbar setup with sat spkrs.
>Others love it.
A "good" bluetooth system works well. So does a good Wifi sytem. The
standard 24mhz? systems are junk.

Larry Jaques

Jul 18, 2016, 9:27:21 AM7/18/16
On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 17:30:47 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 15:06:28 -0700, Larry Jaques
><lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:
>
>>My sister wants my advice about wireless audio but I've never even
>>seen a demo of the beasties. If some of you use them, I'd love to
>>hear feedback about what to look for and what to avoid.
>>
>>One Amazon review said they had problems with the bluetooth fading
>>from side to side on a Visio 5.1 soundbar setup with sat spkrs.
>>Others love it.
>
>Buddy of mine uses it..works great

It appears that all the 5.1 setups have a bluetooth connection to the
"amp" but the speakers are actually hardwired. Once you get up to the
$1k sets, they go bluetooth to the speaker, but the speakers still are
wired to the 120v outlet for power. "Wireless" is a misstatement, it
would appear.

--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.

Larry Jaques

Jul 18, 2016, 9:58:53 AM7/18/16
It appears that the 2.1 systems are seldom stereo, meant mostly for
output from things like iPods and phones. Can you point out any true
stereo or surround systems? When I search for wifi speakers, it leads
me to individual speakers or pairs of mono speakers using bluetooth.

These guys are playing fast and loose with the term 'stereo', as in
wifi stereo speaker (singular) Bastids!

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 18, 2016, 12:50:02 PM7/18/16
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 06:27:22 -0700, Larry Jaques
<lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 17:30:47 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 15:06:28 -0700, Larry Jaques
>><lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:
>>
>>>My sister wants my advice about wireless audio but I've never even
>>>seen a demo of the beasties. If some of you use them, I'd love to
>>>hear feedback about what to look for and what to avoid.
>>>
>>>One Amazon review said they had problems with the bluetooth fading
>>>from side to side on a Visio 5.1 soundbar setup with sat spkrs.
>>>Others love it.
>>
>>Buddy of mine uses it..works great
>
>It appears that all the 5.1 setups have a bluetooth connection to the
>"amp" but the speakers are actually hardwired. Once you get up to the
>$1k sets, they go bluetooth to the speaker, but the speakers still are
>wired to the 120v outlet for power. "Wireless" is a misstatement, it
>would appear.
Some of the high end "wireless" speakers are also "cordless" , having
a high capacity battery built in.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 18, 2016, 12:51:37 PM7/18/16
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 06:58:53 -0700, Larry Jaques
<lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 22:33:46 -0400, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 15:06:28 -0700, Larry Jaques
>><lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:
>>
>>>My sister wants my advice about wireless audio but I've never even
>>>seen a demo of the beasties. If some of you use them, I'd love to
>>>hear feedback about what to look for and what to avoid.
>>>
>>>One Amazon review said they had problems with the bluetooth fading
>>>from side to side on a Visio 5.1 soundbar setup with sat spkrs.
>>>Others love it.
>> A "good" bluetooth system works well. So does a good Wifi sytem. The
>>standard 24mhz? systems are junk.
>
>It appears that the 2.1 systems are seldom stereo, meant mostly for
>output from things like iPods and phones. Can you point out any true
>stereo or surround systems? When I search for wifi speakers, it leads
>me to individual speakers or pairs of mono speakers using bluetooth.
>
>These guys are playing fast and loose with the term 'stereo', as in
>wifi stereo speaker (singular) Bastids!
Some of the single unit speakers ARE technically stereo - with one
driver on each side, each handling one channel of the stereo sound.
Terrible sepparation - but still "stereo"

Gunner Asch

Jul 18, 2016, 2:05:40 PM7/18/16

Larry Jaques

Jul 19, 2016, 8:46:35 PM7/19/16
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 11:00:59 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
Almost entirely monaural.

Gunner Asch

Jul 21, 2016, 6:40:19 PM7/21/16
On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 17:46:42 -0700, Larry Jaques
Almost?

Larry Jaques

Jul 21, 2016, 7:26:30 PM7/21/16
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 15:35:46 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
What was your point in posting those 3 links?

-

I just got off the phone with CenturyLink, the local phone company. It
seems that screwing me out of $300 for retiring wasn't enough. Now
they decided that since my other contract ran out on the home phone
with slow (5mbs) internet, they now want $90.12 per month for the
basic services. I had been paying $59.99. <sigh> Where's a good
thermonuclear device when you need one, huh?

The cable company doesn't service my address, and I won't go back to
Dish or DirecTV since I don't watch TV. I'm running out of options.
FSP!

Jim Wilkins

Jul 21, 2016, 8:34:23 PM7/21/16
"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
> I just got off the phone with CenturyLink, the local phone company.
> It
> seems that screwing me out of $300 for retiring wasn't enough. Now
> they decided that since my other contract ran out on the home phone
> with slow (5mbs) internet, they now want $90.12 per month for the
> basic services. I had been paying $59.99. <sigh> Where's a good
> thermonuclear device when you need one, huh?
>
> The cable company doesn't service my address, and I won't go back to
> Dish or DirecTV since I don't watch TV. I'm running out of options.
> FSP!

Dialup is fast enough for text sites like email, Usenet and Wiki. It's
my backup if the cell service goes down. .
https://www.basicisp.net/
I'm on it now to check RCM.
--jsw

whit3rd

Jul 21, 2016, 8:44:44 PM7/21/16
On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 3:06:30 PM UTC-7, Larry Jaques wrote:
> My sister wants my advice about wireless audio but I've never even
> seen a demo of the beasties. If some of you use them, I'd love to
> hear feedback

Bluetooth is good for 10 feet or so; why would you want a source
and speakers so close, but not wired? Headphones, maybe?

WiFi uses TCP/IP protocols, takes a lot of software at each end to make
work. Apple iTunes and the Airport Express receiver work OK, but
sharing a big music folder between multiple computers is better: you can
choose the music from any machine, not just listen to the lancast.

Most video streaming (like, as supported by WiFi-equipped bluray players)
will do stereo, of course. Again, it assumes you sit at the computer to
set up the playlist...

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 21, 2016, 10:11:10 PM7/21/16
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 17:44:39 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 3:06:30 PM UTC-7, Larry Jaques wrote:
>> My sister wants my advice about wireless audio but I've never even
>> seen a demo of the beasties. If some of you use them, I'd love to
>> hear feedback
>
>Bluetooth is good for 10 feet or so; why would you want a source
>and speakers so close, but not wired? Headphones, maybe?
The Bluetooth Core Specification mandates a range of not less than 10
metres (33 ft), but there is no upper limit on actual range. Many
bluetooth devices are good for up to 100 meters (328 feet).