Making My Bandsaw Bigger ... or

Bob La Londe

Apr 17, 2017, 7:33:56 PM4/17/17
This is how I converted by 4x6 bandsaw into a 4x8 bandsaw.

The little El Cheapo Harbor Freight band saw is huge amount of help in the
shop, but it was built and setup wrong. The "fixed" jaw was mounted so far
over to take advantage of the full possible width of cut of the saw with the
saw guides pulled back.

With the saw guides pulled all the way back there was 8-1/2 inches of space
between them, but the jaw was set such that a piece even as little as
1/100th of an inch to wide would hit the rollers when the saw cut down to a
certain level. If you have worked with much aluminum flat bar you know the
dimensions can vary more than that. It drove me bonkers, that sometimes I
could cut 6 inch stock and sometimes I couldn't.

Over the weekend I fixed that. It wasn't a big deal at all once I decided
to do something about it. I just jerked the fixed jaw off the machine, cut
it down to fit the space and bolted it in place further back giving me an
additional two inches of cutting room for stock. I haven't confirmed I can
cut 8 inch wide stock yet, but its close. On the other hand the rollers
will never hit again when severing 6 inch wide flat bar.

I know. I know. I should just buy a bigger better saw. I plan to, but
there always seems to be something that needs fixing or something that needs
paying that takes up the new machine cash. If I can stretch the life of
this saw out a little more I will.

Here is a cheesy video recap of the project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOgVFSzwYck

Jim Wilkins

Apr 17, 2017, 9:16:15 PM4/17/17
"Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99> wrote in message
> This is how I converted by 4x6 bandsaw into a 4x8 bandsaw.
>

> ...I just jerked the fixed jaw off the machine, cut it down to fit
> the space and bolted it in place further back giving me an
> additional two inches of cutting room for stock.

Good idea.

Another mod I've found useful is drilling two more mounting holes in
the base of the fixed jaw that position it very close to the blade to
clamp small short pieces of stock you wouldn't want to cut hand-held.

-jsw

Larry Jaques

Apr 18, 2017, 11:17:18 AM4/18/17
On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 16:33:51 -0700, "Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99>
wrote:
Good mod, Bob. Quick question: Wouldn't removing the soft face on the
fixed jaw have temporarily resolved your problem with overwide 6"
stock? AFAIK, they're not milled to make the jaw perpendicular to the
blade.

P.S: Your scary shop looks far too much like mine, but you have a lot
more open floor space. ;)

P.P.S: Izzat a Talking Bass you're holding up there in the video? :/

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!

Bob La Londe

Apr 18, 2017, 1:19:38 PM4/18/17

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
*** I added the softjaw to make up for the jaw position after moving it it
back off the stock surface ***

P.S: Your scary shop looks far too much like mine, but you have a lot
more open floor space. ;)

*** Actually after retiring from contracting and changing over to making
molds full time I have been slowly cleaning up and organizing the shop. The
area around the saw is one of the areas I still have not gotten to. I
actually have quite a lot of open shop space, and I have two boats parked
inside the shop. Once I figure out where to park my welders and my torch
when they are not in use I'll have very large free area of floor space in
the back where I can pull in stuff to work on. ***

P.P.S: Izzat a Talking Bass you're holding up there in the video? :/

*** LOL. No. That's a 7.07 pound cash winner I caught in the Jimmy Phipps
Memorial Bass Derby. I caught it on the bait you might notice in one hand
in the picture. I make the mold for that bait. Its far from my biggest
bass, but biggest bass in life doesn't usually win you any cash. Biggest
bass in a tournament is usually worth a few dollars. ***

Bob La Londe

Apr 18, 2017, 1:21:06 PM4/18/17

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news:od3p72$4rg$1...@dont-email.me...
*** That's a good idea. I may make up another jaw to do that, and also give
me back the angle cutting capability. Then I'll need a place to store it
that I'll find it when I need it. ***

Jim Wilkins

Apr 18, 2017, 5:48:49 PM4/18/17
"Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99> wrote in message
The fixed jaw won't angle when moved close to the blade, but the
pieces that need minimal overhang are short enough to fit on angle
blocks in the mill vise.
-jsw

Bob La Londe

Apr 19, 2017, 3:35:10 PM4/19/17

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news:od61e0$18k$1...@dont-email.me...
*** I pretty much true everything up on the mill or on the lathe anyway.
Its not like I'd saw cut pieces and just start welding them together.
(Well, I have back in the day, but...) However, I thought about your close
to the blade jaw idea. Make a softjaw for the fixed jaw of the saw's built
in vise that has screw slots. For most work leave it slid back. For close
work loosen the screws, slide it out to the blade, and snug the screws back
up. In the stock location the soft jaw will reduce your capacity, but you
can always remove it when you need the full stock width capability.

Jim Wilkins

Apr 19, 2017, 5:35:03 PM4/19/17

> "Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news:od61e0$18k$1...@dont-email.me...

> The fixed jaw won't angle when moved close to the blade, but the
> pieces that need minimal overhang are short enough to fit on angle
> blocks in the mill vise.
> -jsw
>
> *** I pretty much true everything up on the mill or on the lathe
> anyway. Its not like I'd saw cut pieces and just start welding them
> together. (Well, I have back in the day, but...) However, I thought
> about your close to the blade jaw idea. Make a softjaw for the
> fixed jaw of the saw's built in vise that has screw slots. For most
> work leave it slid back. For close work loosen the screws, slide it
> out to the blade, and snug the screws back up. In the stock
> location the soft jaw will reduce your capacity, but you can always
> remove it when you need the full stock width capability.

It would have to be fairly thick to not deflect from the clamping
force. Just c-clamping a spare piece of stock to the fixed jaw works
too.

I don't angle the fixed jaw very often so it usually stays in the
closer position. I can usually follow a pencil line accurately enough
to cut angles freehand, for non-critical projects like the truck rack
I'm making now. I've carefully milled rectangular tubing cuts before
clamping and welding but still had to force the finished frame back to
square with a hydraulic jack because of the welding shrinkage
distortion.

The 4x6 is also my main wood chopsaw, with a 6-10 tpi blade. The
telescoping jack from an old Toyota Land Cruiser makes a good outboard
support for long timbers.
-jsw