The Gilded Turd, Part XIV

Bob Engelhardt

Dec 20, 2006, 4:18:06 PM12/20/06
There was a thread a while back where the OP was trying to find a
powered rattle-can shaker. A powered rattle-can shaker is kind of silly
on the face of it, yet as an RCM'er I am not constrained by that. So,
when an old sabre saw showed up at the dump:

http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/Shaker.jpg

Hope you enjoy it,
Bob

Koz

Dec 20, 2006, 4:57:18 PM12/20/06
Now ya gotta add a baby bottle warmer for those days when the cans are a
tad cold to be spraying.

Koz

Rex

Dec 20, 2006, 4:58:04 PM12/20/06

Very nice Bob. What holds the bottom of the can in the cup?

Don Foreman

Dec 20, 2006, 5:58:24 PM12/20/06

Love it!

Jeff Wisnia

Dec 20, 2006, 7:01:46 PM12/20/06

Nice job!

Is that black thing on the left a "switch holder downer"?

As long as you're is a creative mood, you could DIY this accessory to
mount on it. You must know someone of the fairer sex who might find it
useful when you're off on a business trip.

http://tinyurl.com/9jgg

Make sure you check the "Directions" page....

Jeff (Ducking....)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Bob Engelhardt

Dec 21, 2006, 9:17:08 PM12/21/06
Rex wrote:
> Very nice Bob.
Thanks.

> What holds the bottom of the can in the cup?

My hand. That is, I balance it there. That way there is more of a
twisting motion as the bottom of the can goes back and forth while the
top is mostly motionless. Bob

Bob Engelhardt

Dec 21, 2006, 9:24:28 PM12/21/06
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
> Nice job!

Thank you, thank you ...

> Is that black thing on the left a "switch holder downer"?

No, the saw as found had a sliding on-off switch that I replaced with a
variable speed one from another dump find (it's the red and aluminum
protuberance). The black is a housing for that switch. In use I just
keep my thumb on it.

Bob

buffalo

Dec 21, 2006, 9:58:48 PM12/21/06
Anyone who would try to cover a turd with gold is sick and just plain
stupid. I tried it one time.

I went to a school for the mentally challenged (retarded) which naturally
was full of liberal democrats and got one to pick the turd up by the clean
end.
I then directed the democrat to dip the scatological masterpiece into aqua
regia and applied an electric current. The democrat shook violently as it
was hard for it to let go of its playtoy -the turd. Instead of a quite
beautiful example of what comes out of a democrat's mouth, I got a true,
full of shit, democrat - nothing out of the usual.

"Bob Engelhardt" <bobeng...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Nick Mueller

Dec 21, 2006, 9:00:50 AM12/21/06
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

> A powered rattle-can shaker is kind of silly on the face of it,
> yet as an RCM'er I am not constrained by that.

Hehehe! That is both really idiotic and really good! :-))
I like it!

Nick
--
***********************************
*** Available now in NZ and AUS ***

Leon Fisk

Dec 22, 2006, 1:56:08 PM12/22/06

Hi Bob,

This just screams for a bungee cord to take the place of
your hand. Maybe an old paint can top with a bungee cord and
hooks attached.

Bungee cords, slightly more high-tech than good old rubber
bands.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Bob Engelhardt

Dec 22, 2006, 2:31:14 PM12/22/06
Leon Fisk wrote:
> This just screams for a bungee cord to take the place of
> your hand. Maybe an old paint can top with a bungee cord and
> hooks attached.

Yeah, that would work. I'll put it on my list 8-)) Bob

DoN. Nichols

Dec 24, 2006, 1:25:07 AM12/24/06
According to Bob Engelhardt <bobeng...@comcast.net>:

Make sure that you don't try it with aluminum paint. That is
known to explode when mechanically shaken -- at least in normal topped
paint cans.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: <dnic...@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

brian458666

Dec 26, 2006, 3:39:11 AM12/26/06

buffalo wrote:
> Anyone who would try to cover a turd with gold is sick and just plain
> stupid. I tried it one time.

You should be ashamed of yourself for having a democrat where it
might escape. Besides- it's just more fun to put one on a piece of
cardboard and throw it off a high structure...

Bob Engelhardt

Mar 3, 2018, 12:55:34 PM3/3/18
Polishing the Gilded Turd

On Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 4:18:06 PM UTC-5, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
> There was a thread a while back where the OP was trying to find a
> powered rattle-can shaker. A powered rattle-can shaker is kind of silly
> on the face of it, yet as an RCM'er I am not constrained by that. So,
> when an old sabre saw showed up at the dump:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/gI71bx5.jpg
>
> Hope you enjoy it,
> Bob

As I originally posted, the whole idea is silly. Yet in the 12 years since that post, the shaker has gotten used and has not been shuffled off to obscurity.

I never quite liked the idea of shaking the bottom back and forth - up and down shaking seemed better. So, the upgraded shaker:
https://i.imgur.com/jXuiS0t.jpg

Bob

the original thread: https://tinyurl.com/y99kg66l

shiggins1

Mar 3, 2018, 2:12:54 PM3/3/18
Bob, your engineering was impeccable. Your marketing not so much.
https://mixkwik.com

I got one for Christmas years ago. It works great.

Steve

shiggins1

Mar 3, 2018, 2:14:55 PM3/3/18
@#$%! the website is http://nixkwik.com --not secure.

shiggins1

Mar 3, 2018, 2:17:40 PM3/3/18
double @#$%! the website is http://mixkwik.com
I try to think but nothing happens.

Clare Snyder

Mar 3, 2018, 3:42:53 PM3/3/18
Better to combine the 2 motions - mount the can at about a 30 degree
angle - then the ball does it's job. If the can could rotate as well,
even better. At least on an angle the paint moves in relation to not
only the sides of the can or the bottom, but both.

Bob Engelhardt

Mar 3, 2018, 8:05:07 PM3/3/18
On 3/3/2018 2:12 PM, shiggins1 wrote:
> Bob, your engineering was impeccable. Your marketing not so much.
> https://mixkwik.com
>
> I got one for Christmas years ago. It works great.
>
> Steve

You know - the first one that I made used a recip saw. Then I found the
sabre/jig saw at the dump. Google has a whole mess of hits for "rattle
can shaker". Maybe not so silly after all.

Gunner Asch

Mar 3, 2018, 11:51:46 PM3/3/18
On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 09:55:27 -0800 (PST), Bob Engelhardt
<bobeng...@comcast.net> wrote:

Nice!!!

---

Larry Jaques

Mar 5, 2018, 1:10:16 PM3/5/18
On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 09:55:27 -0800 (PST), Bob Engelhardt
<bobeng...@comcast.net> wrote:

Cool, but how many paint bombs have you exploded on that thing so far?
LOL Heck of a way to test seam integrity.

I like warming up my rattle paint with hot water before shaking. It
more quickly lowers the viscosity and makes the can more comfy on the
hand. The snap-on triggers for them are great, too...while they last.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her

Bob Engelhardt

Mar 7, 2018, 10:49:26 PM3/7/18
On 3/3/2018 3:42 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

> Better to combine the 2 motions - mount the can at about a 30 degree
> angle - then the ball does it's job. If the can could rotate as well,
> even better. At least on an angle the paint moves in relation to not
> only the sides of the can or the bottom, but both.

Good idea. I was able to tilt it about 15 degrees without rework.
Maybe in another 12 years I'll rework it again. Oh, wait ... I'll
probably be dead by then.

Larry Jaques

Mar 8, 2018, 9:41:48 AM3/8/18
But you'll be spray-can painting up until the day you die, right?
</damnedtaggers>