Welding helmets (Hobby use)

gghe...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2015, 10:14:08 AM11/17/15
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting one or two welding helmets for X-mas.
I've got a Dayton welder in the barn that I've used a little,
with an old flip style helmet. My son (age 14) has gotten into metal working
and would like to try welding. There are a huge number of options.
Here's one review.
http://www.mrwelderreviews.com/review-best-rated-auto-darkening-welding-helmets/

From which I'm thinking of the Antra for ~$50, or perhaps the
classic Miller for a bit more.
Your thoughts?

TIA
George H.

Gunner Asch

Nov 17, 2015, 11:59:35 AM11/17/15
I use both the Harbor Freight (with control switches for delay and
shade) and my beloved and mostly used Optrel..which does
everything..and very very well.

Rather large difference in pricing though.....

http://weldinghelmetpros.com/optrel-e680-auto-darkening-welding-helmet-review

Ive recently used the Miller and its a nice helmet. But
frankly..doesnt work better than the Harbor Freight.

Gunner

Rex

Nov 17, 2015, 12:10:51 PM11/17/15
I may be the least qualified to respond on this. My welding helmet is about 5 years old, and cost $35. I had just read a review of both high and low end helmets ands the bottom line was the reaction time/eye protection was the same, but the ergonomics was the difference.
Within a year of very occasional use, the headgear inside the helmet fell apart. The fix is to buy a quality replacement for $30 or so. That puts the price range back in the total for a name-brand with the good parts.
So I think if I were buying today I'd be shopping in the $100 range just to get decent hardware that will hold up.

Bob La Londe

Nov 17, 2015, 1:39:42 PM11/17/15
<gghe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I've had two HF automatic hoods. The cheaper one did not easily have a way
to change the batteries and I destroyed it trying to cut the compartment
open. The more expensive one ($10 or 15 difference) was easy to change
batteries, but I managed to break it after a couple years it was quick
enough to go dark, but was slow to go light when you shut off the arc. I
liked the cheaper one better for that because there are some thin metal
welding methods that really benefit from being able to see the weld
bead/spot very quickly ater the arc shuts off. I bought a Miller automatic
and I like it fairly well, but I bumped something with it welding under a
trailer, and broke the adjustment knob off. I still use it all the time,
but I can't lighten the shade easily anymore. LOL. Your mileage may vary.

Regardless of what you decide to use I truly believe an automatic wedling
helmet improved my welding more than anything else except maybe learning
what duty cycle means and that I just need to stop welding and let my
machine cool down when it starts throwing a bad bead whether it has shut
down or not.

Bob La Londe

Nov 17, 2015, 1:41:00 PM11/17/15
Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99> wrote in message
I feel I need to add that the larger the viewing area the better.
Regardless of the type or brand of hood.

Paul Drahn

Nov 17, 2015, 1:51:10 PM11/17/15
I agree with Bob on the viewing area. I bought a Harbor Freight
automatic helmet several years ago and like it.

I also wear glasses and use safety glasses in the shop. If either of you
wear glasses, make sure there is room in the helmet for your glasses.

Paul

Steve W.

Nov 17, 2015, 7:05:23 PM11/17/15
Take a look at the Kobalt Auto Darkening unit. I replaced an OLD HF unit
with it. (HF unit worked just fine, right up until I drove over it !!!)
Decided I wanted something a bit nicer. The Kobalt is a 4 sensor unit,
solar/Batt. with adjustable sensing, time to clear and shade tint. Also
has a grinding function that I don't use. MUCH lighter than the HF unit
with better headgear.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_396400-47120-SGY-A11_1z0wcij__?productId=3773821&pl=1

Video showing the helmet and how it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXS4vxkE0F8

--
Steve W.

gghe...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2015, 9:38:50 PM11/17/15
That's great, Thanks Bob,
(and Gunner, Rex, Paul, Steve.)
I'm pretty much a welding idiot.
My house came with a Dayton buzz box, (with a mis-wired plug.)
I made a few bad welds, and then two that are ugly,
but still holding, and haven't used it since.
(I guess I better make sure it's still working and
mice haven't made nests everywhere inside.)

Any other essential piece of kit I need?

George H.

Steve W.

Nov 18, 2015, 2:17:18 AM11/18/15
Welding gauntlets (I buy 2-3 pairs of the HF ones a year, they hold up
just as good as the more expensive ones I've used)

Long sleeve treated cotton or leather shirt/jacket to keep you from
getting a burn from the UV and sparks. (I actually use wildland
firefighting shirts, they are either a treated cotton or Nomex type
material, and they are usually much cheaper than the same thing sold at
a welding supply.

Scrap steel and a solid table with a vice for practicing and testing
your welds.

Grinder w/flap wheels (the great equalizer for the beginning welder)

--
Steve W.

Jim Wilkins

Nov 18, 2015, 8:04:01 AM11/18/15
"Steve W." <csr...@NOTyahoo.com> wrote in message
For completeness, a chipping hammer and wire brush are essential for
stick and flux core welding. A cotton cap and leather shoes help
protect you from hot sparks. When I sit down to weld small delicate
stuff I wear a long leather apron and shoe spats.

Since I can't dedicate a space only for welding I use firebricks to
set up a temporary one shaped like a small barbecue pit. The sides
deflect the wind, conceal the arc flash from neighbors and help hold
pieces in place.

Magnetic angles and C-shaped Vise Grips are often very useful. Clamps
made for welding have copper-plated screws to keep molten spatter from
sticking.

I got by with one 4-1/2" angle grinder until taking on larger
projects. Then I added a 7" one with dish wheels to remove metal fast
and a couple of cheapo 4" grinders permanently set up with a cup brush
for rust and a cutoff wheel to erase small mistakes. The original
4-1/2" grinder has a fairly fine disk for smoothing anything that
could snag skin or clothing. I don't use flap wheels much only because
the edge of a solid disk smoothes inside corners better.

Unless you are only repairing cracks the steel has to be cut to size
first. Either a chop saw or a 4" x 6" bandsaw will serve for that. I
prefer the bandsaw because it's more versatile and accurate. I use
mine a lot for woodworking, with a 6 TPI blade it will smoothly and
accurately cut 6x6 posts and landscaping timbers.

-jsw

gghe...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2015, 8:57:38 AM11/18/15
OK, I've been using my carhart cotton duck jacket, and "the boy" is now
big enough to not get lost in my old ones.
(Or are we liable to start it on fire?)
He's also taken my fire place gloves for his forging work...
I figured they would be fine for welding too.

> Scrap steel and a solid table with a vice for practicing and testing
> your welds.
Yeah I've got plenty of scrap steel :^)

George H.

gghe...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2015, 9:02:53 AM11/18/15
Got it, thanks. We've got a small angle grinder,
I've mostly been using a reciprocating saw for slicing metal.
If things get serious a chop saw would be nice.

George H.

Jim Wilkins

Nov 18, 2015, 9:13:13 AM11/18/15
<gghe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
http://www.instructables.com/id/Fireproof-papertextils-and-courtains/
I used a saturated solution of feed-store alum plus borax to treat
cotton welding curtains. A sample strip hung over an upright propane
torch flame burned in the flame but only charred above it.
-jsw

Ignoramus32669

Nov 18, 2015, 9:42:18 AM11/18/15
I have lots of heavy duty welding tables for sale. 1/2, 5/8, and up
top thickness.

Jim Wilkins

Nov 18, 2015, 9:43:12 AM11/18/15
<gghe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
My tool collection grew as projects demanded. The ones I listed were
enough to fabricate a sawmill, a log splitter, and a bucket loader for
my tractor.

The chop saw's advantage is that it will cut thinner or harder steel
better, though both of those are tricky to weld. Its disadvantage is
the shower of glowing sparks that may force you to use it outdoors.
Fortunately my biker neighbors don't mind its loud noise.

-jsw

gghe...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2015, 10:50:06 AM11/18/15
Hmm, We used borax to turn toilet paper into non-burnable wadding for
model rocket launches. Same idea.
Welding will be done out in the barn, (concrete floor) away from the house.
(neighbors are at least 1/4 mile away.) Is fire that much of a concern?
Maybe a fire extinguisher for the barn is in order... probably not a bad idea
even without the welding.

George H.

gghe...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2015, 11:00:21 AM11/18/15
I bought my house from a very private man. He didn't want people
pawing through his stuff, so he left it all behind. My tool collection grew
by a factor of 10 or more. Lotsa wood working stuff, but all sorts of other
goodies too. (A list would only make you jealous.) I've been giving or
trading it away to friends and neighbors, but I still have more "toys"
than I have time to play with.

George H.

Gunner Asch

Nov 18, 2015, 11:57:45 AM11/18/15
A chop saw is fairly inexpensive at HF, blades are cheap at the same
place or on Ebay. And its a shitload faster than your recip saw. Much
much faster!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metabo-14-Metal-Cutting-Chop-Saw-CS-23-355-/351572313826
(note the name?)

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=chop+saw

The single biggest issue with a chop saw..put a piece of masonite,
plywood or sheet steel on the wall behind the saw so the trail of
sparks doesnt catch stuff on fire.

Jim Wilkins

Nov 18, 2015, 12:42:29 PM11/18/15
<gghe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
It's impossible for me to tell from here what your specific risks are.
I have an assortment of water-filled extinguishers around the property
and bring one nearby whenever I'm running an engine out beyond hose
range. So far I've only needed them once, when I saw the old man
across the road lying motionless beside his driveway with the grass
fire his acetylene torch had started creeping toward him.

You probably won't see, smell or hear a fire while you are welding.

-jsw

Jim Wilkins

Nov 18, 2015, 1:11:11 PM11/18/15
> On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 9:43:12 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins
> wrote:
> I bought my house from a very private man. He didn't want people
> pawing through his stuff, so he left it all behind. My tool
> collection grew
> by a factor of 10 or more. Lotsa wood working stuff, but all sorts
> of other
> goodies too. (A list would only make you jealous.) I've been
> giving or
> trading it away to friends and neighbors, but I still have more
> "toys"
> than I have time to play with.
>
> George H.

You won't make -me- jealous, I have more toys than space to store
them. I wasted the morning digging around for wiring harnesses I made
to test a solar panel controller and then put away until time to
install it, which I've finally gotten to.

http://www.amazon.com/WindyNation-Regulator-Controller-Adjustable-Settings/dp/B015S39PTU
Its price was $19 when I ordered it, $29 on their website the next
day.

-jsw

Bob La Londe

Nov 18, 2015, 2:09:22 PM11/18/15
<gghe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Gloves, welding blankets, welding jacket... spare hood so the two of you
can look and learn from each other.

gghe...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2015, 3:57:09 PM11/18/15
On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 1:11:11 PM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> <gghe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 9:43:12 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins
> > wrote:
> > I bought my house from a very private man. He didn't want people
> > pawing through his stuff, so he left it all behind. My tool
> > collection grew
> > by a factor of 10 or more. Lotsa wood working stuff, but all sorts
> > of other
> > goodies too. (A list would only make you jealous.) I've been
> > giving or
> > trading it away to friends and neighbors, but I still have more
> > "toys"
> > than I have time to play with.
> >
> > George H.
>
> You won't make -me- jealous, I have more toys than space to store
> them. I wasted the morning digging around for wiring harnesses I made
> to test a solar panel controller and then put away until time to
> install it, which I've finally gotten to.

Haybine and serious dump trailer went to the neighbor down
the road.. lots of help with various things.
Little cement mixer, planar and industrial size router table with many bits,
to the guy who put on a new roof.
1/2 a dozen other buckets/ box scrapers and rakes that I still
drag around with my tractor.
The coolest thing is 'my' John Deere 400 backhoe.
She is a tired old gal though. At the moment one of the
side arm cylinders has blown it's seal. I'm not sure
if that's something I can fix myself or not.

George H.

dpb

Nov 18, 2015, 5:17:25 PM11/18/15
On 11/18/2015 2:57 PM, gghe...@gmail.com wrote:

> The coolest thing is 'my' John Deere 400 backhoe.
> She is a tired old gal though. At the moment one of the
> side arm cylinders has blown it's seal. I'm not sure
> if that's something I can fix myself or not.

Not sure what you're referring to as the "side arm"; one of the bucket
lift cylinders or the rest-steadies or the boom swivel???

Which ever, there should be no _major_ issue in installing a seal kit;
they're threaded but you may need some serious torque to break an oldie
loose...

I did give replacing seals on the JLG 40H 40-ft manlift main extend and
lift cylinders to the Deere shop in town simply 'cuz don't have a crane
arrangement to pull the 174" stroke 2" bore main cylinder out the end of
the boom. They ended up having to take it to the local hydraulics shop
as they weren't able to break the seal nut loose, either. Took the
other shop three days but they finally did get it.

I've done the lift cylinders on the Deere 4440 w/ 148 bucket; they were
a piece o' cake even after almost 30 yr although it's in pretty near
pristine condition for a late '70s tractor...

Bob Engelhardt

Nov 18, 2015, 6:51:25 PM11/18/15
> A chop saw is fairly inexpensive at HF, blades are cheap at the same
> place or on Ebay. And its a shitload faster than your recip saw. Much
> much faster!

I have a 12"(?) chop saw that I hardly ever use because it is so messy.
So messy that I take it outside when I do use it.

The recip saw is not so bad with the right blade. For hard steel, a
cut-off wheel in your angle grinder would do.

Bob

Larry Jaques

Nov 18, 2015, 8:06:27 PM11/18/15
2 of them: Electrodes and PRACTICE, in that order.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.

Martin Eastburn

Nov 18, 2015, 11:36:59 PM11/18/15
I think I'd consider some concrete board as a backup. Maybe some
sheet steel behind if it is to be there for a long time.

I don't have one, should consider it. Hard material would grind through
while a saw requires M42 or magic to cut.

Some just work hardens as you saw.

Martin

Steve W.

Nov 19, 2015, 12:36:33 AM11/19/15
I've got a band saw, chop saw, cold saw, and an OLD power hacksaw. Each
has it's strong and weak points. The power hack saw does have one unique
quality, on a long cut the even rhythm has made me sleepy!!

--
Steve W.

Larry Jaques

Nov 19, 2015, 12:48:45 AM11/19/15
On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 13:11:35 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

><gghe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 9:43:12 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins
>> wrote:
>> I bought my house from a very private man. He didn't want people
>> pawing through his stuff, so he left it all behind. My tool
>> collection grew
>> by a factor of 10 or more. Lotsa wood working stuff, but all sorts
>> of other
>> goodies too. (A list would only make you jealous.) I've been
>> giving or
>> trading it away to friends and neighbors, but I still have more
>> "toys"
>> than I have time to play with.

Very cool, George. Congrats.

>You won't make -me- jealous, I have more toys than space to store
>them. I wasted the morning digging around for wiring harnesses I made
>to test a solar panel controller and then put away until time to
>install it, which I've finally gotten to.

Why didn't you leave the harness with the controller, duuuuude?

>http://www.amazon.com/WindyNation-Regulator-Controller-Adjustable-Settings/dp/B015S39PTU
>Its price was $19 when I ordered it, $29 on their website the next
>day.

I love beating the price hikes. New vendors on eBay usually put stuff
up for a song to get the feel of pricing, so if you buy one early,
it's 20% of the end price. My backup controller was $13 delivered,
but doesn't have an LCD.

Thinking about moving to a smaller water heater (20g) which can be
heated with lower power elements fed directly from a 24v solar array.
Hot water is nearly half my electric use, which now averages $41/mo.

A2

Nov 19, 2015, 4:11:38 AM11/19/15
On 19-Nov-15 1:48 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 13:11:35 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> <gghe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

snipped

>> You won't make -me- jealous, I have more toys than space to store
>> them. I wasted the morning digging around for wiring harnesses I made
>> to test a solar panel controller and then put away until time to
>> install it, which I've finally gotten to.
>
> Why didn't you leave the harness with the controller, duuuuude?
>

>> http://www.amazon.com/WindyNation-Regulator-Controller-Adjustable-Settings/dp/B015S39PTU
>> Its price was $19 when I ordered it, $29 on their website the next
>> day.
>
> I love beating the price hikes. New vendors on eBay usually put stuff
> up for a song to get the feel of pricing, so if you buy one early,
> it's 20% of the end price. My backup controller was $13 delivered,
> but doesn't have an LCD.
>
> Thinking about moving to a smaller water heater (20g) which can be
> heated with lower power elements fed directly from a 24v solar array.
> Hot water is nearly half my electric use, which now averages $41/mo.

Sounds cheap, how much is off grid power? I'm guessing you are US based?

We pay about $0.27 per kW.hr here in Australia.

A2

Nov 19, 2015, 4:12:35 AM11/19/15
A chop saw won't have that effect!

Jim Wilkins

Nov 19, 2015, 6:58:18 AM11/19/15
"Steve W." <csr...@NOTyahoo.com> wrote in message
I think a chop saw might be adequate if you don't have or intend to
buy machine tools to work with steel thicker than hardware store strip
and angle stock.

If you do, a bandsaw cuts through much thicker sections and doesn't
risk hardening carbon steel.

-jsw

Jim Wilkins

Nov 19, 2015, 7:25:50 AM11/19/15
"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 13:11:35 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>><gghe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 9:43:12 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins
>>> wrote:
>

>>You won't make -me- jealous, I have more toys than space to store
>>them. I wasted the morning digging around for wiring harnesses I
>>made
>>to test a solar panel controller and then put away until time to
>>install it, which I've finally gotten to.
>
> Why didn't you leave the harness with the controller, duuuuude?

I put them with this temporarily wired meter.
http://www.amazon.com/6-5-100V-Display-Digital-Multimeter-Voltmeter/dp/B013PKYILS

>Thinking about moving to a smaller water heater (20g) which can be
>heated with lower power elements fed directly from a 24v solar array.
>Hot water is nearly half my electric use, which now averages $41/mo.

I heat water for laundry in kettles on the woodstove.

-jsw

Jim Wilkins

Nov 19, 2015, 8:36:32 AM11/19/15
"A2" <A...@2A.com> wrote in message
> On 19-Nov-15 1:48 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 13:11:35 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
>> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> <gghe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> snipped
>

>> Thinking about moving to a smaller water heater (20g) which can be
>> heated with lower power elements fed directly from a 24v solar
>> array.
>> Hot water is nearly half my electric use, which now averages
>> $41/mo.
>>

> Sounds cheap, how much is off grid power? I'm guessing you are US
> based?
>
> We pay about $0.27 per kW.hr here in Australia.

Here in New England, USA grid power costs me $0.15 per KWH. My solar
power is really for week-long hurricane or ice storm power outages.
Otherwise it mainly keeps the vehicle batteries topped up so they last
longer. I don't normally cycle batteries because I estimate that the
cost of depreciation is more than the savings.

These extra panels should add enough current to support the TV and
laptop longer during the day. My Harbor Freight kit gave about an hour
of Internet access to email and weather radar per day during the last
outage. Phone line and cellular Internet stayed up on their own backup
supplies.

Weather radar shows me much more accurately than the forecasts when I
can repair storm damage and when I must stop and cover it up.

Unwatched generators attract thieves. I made a sound dampening
enclosure from fireproof acoustic ceiling tiles rimmed with aluminum
flashing but it has to be wide open on one side for ventilation and
doesn't quiet the genny enough that I can't hear it from the street.
The noise is mechanical, an extra muffler makes little difference.

-jsw

Larry Jaques

Nov 19, 2015, 9:44:13 AM11/19/15
On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 17:11:34 +0800, A2 <A...@2A.com> wrote:

>On 19-Nov-15 1:48 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 13:11:35 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
>> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> <gghe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>snipped
>

>>> You won't make -me- jealous, I have more toys than space to store
>>> them. I wasted the morning digging around for wiring harnesses I made
>>> to test a solar panel controller and then put away until time to
>>> install it, which I've finally gotten to.
>>
>> Why didn't you leave the harness with the controller, duuuuude?
>>

>>> http://www.amazon.com/WindyNation-Regulator-Controller-Adjustable-Settings/dp/B015S39PTU
>>> Its price was $19 when I ordered it, $29 on their website the next
>>> day.
>>
>> I love beating the price hikes. New vendors on eBay usually put stuff
>> up for a song to get the feel of pricing, so if you buy one early,
>> it's 20% of the end price. My backup controller was $13 delivered,
>> but doesn't have an LCD.
>>
>> Thinking about moving to a smaller water heater (20g) which can be
>> heated with lower power elements fed directly from a 24v solar array.
>> Hot water is nearly half my electric use, which now averages $41/mo.
>>

>Sounds cheap, how much is off grid power? I'm guessing you are US based?

Yes, Oregon, USA. It's not so much the cost of off-grid power, it's
the concept of being entirely self-sufficient during the coming grid
crises. 1) The increasing age/fragility of our electrical grid and 2)
terrorism loom just off the bow of our future. The grid has suffered
362 attacks between 2011 and 2015. Granted, some of those are from
kids wanting to see a transformer explode, but look at this article:
http://tinyurl.com/pc9pfyv (Crom, I hate listening to broadcast news,
but it can carry tiny tidbits of actual information.) Metcalf wasn't
a simple attack and cost over $15 million to repair.

>We pay about $0.27 per kW.hr here in Australia.

Grid power is just $0.06 here. Thinking of adding another 400W to 1kW
($600-2,200) to the whopping 45W of power I now utilize. Selling
unused assets for it.

--
Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

gghe...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2015, 9:48:02 AM11/19/15
On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 5:17:25 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
> On 11/18/2015 2:57 PM, gghe...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > The coolest thing is 'my' John Deere 400 backhoe.
> > She is a tired old gal though. At the moment one of the
> > side arm cylinders has blown it's seal. I'm not sure
> > if that's something I can fix myself or not.
>
> Not sure what you're referring to as the "side arm"; one of the bucket
> lift cylinders or the rest-steadies or the boom swivel???
Sorry the stabilizer cylinder one on each side... fairly small.

> Which ever, there should be no _major_ issue in installing a seal kit;
> they're threaded but you may need some serious torque to break an oldie
> loose...
>
> I did give replacing seals on the JLG 40H 40-ft manlift main extend and
> lift cylinders to the Deere shop in town simply 'cuz don't have a crane
> arrangement to pull the 174" stroke 2" bore main cylinder out the end of
> the boom. They ended up having to take it to the local hydraulics shop
> as they weren't able to break the seal nut loose, either. Took the
> other shop three days but they finally did get it.

I blew out the crowd cylinder a few years ago.
I took it to the local JD industrial repair shop,
and it was a bit of a nightmare. It took them three tries
(and a good part of the summer.)
to get it installed and not leaking.

George H.

dpb

Nov 19, 2015, 10:18:15 AM11/19/15
On 11/19/2015 8:47 AM, gghe...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 5:17:25 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
>> On 11/18/2015 2:57 PM, gghe...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> The coolest thing is 'my' John Deere 400 backhoe.
>>> She is a tired old gal though. At the moment one of the
>>> side arm cylinders has blown it's seal. I'm not sure
>>> if that's something I can fix myself or not.
>>
>> Not sure what you're referring to as the "side arm"; one of the bucket
>> lift cylinders or the rest-steadies or the boom swivel???
> Sorry the stabilizer cylinder one on each side... fairly small.

Those shouldn't be _too_ bad, but again, if it's been outside forever
and they've been left "as-is" with the environment those tend to operate
in they'll probably be pretty well "growed together"...

>> Which ever, there should be no _major_ issue in installing a seal kit;
>> they're threaded but you may need some serious torque to break an oldie
>> loose...
>>
>> I did give replacing seals on the JLG 40H 40-ft manlift main extend and
>> lift cylinders to the Deere shop in town simply 'cuz don't have a crane
>> arrangement to pull the 174" stroke 2" bore main cylinder out the end of
>> the boom. They ended up having to take it to the local hydraulics shop
>> as they weren't able to break the seal nut loose, either. Took the
>> other shop three days but they finally did get it.
>
> I blew out the crowd cylinder a few years ago.
> I took it to the local JD industrial repair shop,
> and it was a bit of a nightmare. It took them three tries
> (and a good part of the summer.)
> to get it installed and not leaking.

"Stuff happens" when things are old, particularly...

I'd have taken the lift straight to the hydraulics folks excepting I
don't have a lowboy that'll take it nor do they while the Deere folk do
and pickup/deliver repair work gratis (well, it ain't exactly free but
at least it's in the shop bill :) ). We deal with them all the time
anyway as well as are working farm....

Larry Jaques

Nov 19, 2015, 9:36:53 PM11/19/15
On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 08:36:56 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"A2" <A...@2A.com> wrote in message
>> On 19-Nov-15 1:48 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

>> snipped
>>

>>> Thinking about moving to a smaller water heater (20g) which can be
>>> heated with lower power elements fed directly from a 24v solar
>>> array.
>>> Hot water is nearly half my electric use, which now averages
>>> $41/mo.
>>>

>> Sounds cheap, how much is off grid power? I'm guessing you are US
>> based?
>>
>> We pay about $0.27 per kW.hr here in Australia.
>
>Here in New England, USA grid power costs me $0.15 per KWH. My solar

I forgot to add in the basic charge, so mine costs 11.7 cents per kWh.

>power is really for week-long hurricane or ice storm power outages.
>Otherwise it mainly keeps the vehicle batteries topped up so they last
>longer. I don't normally cycle batteries because I estimate that the
>cost of depreciation is more than the savings.
>
>These extra panels should add enough current to support the TV and
>laptop longer during the day. My Harbor Freight kit gave about an hour
>of Internet access to email and weather radar per day during the last
>outage. Phone line and cellular Internet stayed up on their own backup
>supplies.

What extra panels are you using? My HF set is only for emer lighting,
and I have 4 lamps set up in the house for it, with 2 backups. I can
also use the little CFLs which came with it, but they suck power. I
picked up three 18w 12v E27 LED lamps for $2 each the other month and
they're extremely bright. They're in the fixtures now, but when an
outage comes, I'll swap them out for the little 3.5w SMD LED bulbs. At
least until I need a whole lot of light for something, like a medical
issue caused by the storm.

HF had a sale on inverters last month and I picked up a 2kW unit which
should be able to drive my electric chain saw, circular saw, recip
saw, or other small tools. All the reviews were positive and said
that they were running table saws, etc. on these units. I have 2 deep
cycle Group 24 batteries for that, and used 2/0 cable between them and
the inverter. I have yet to hook it up and try it.

>Weather radar shows me much more accurately than the forecasts when I
>can repair storm damage and when I must stop and cover it up.

Do you subscribe to Wunderground? $10 a year keep the ads suppressed.
Their hourly forecasts are pretty accurate.

>Unwatched generators attract thieves. I made a sound dampening
>enclosure from fireproof acoustic ceiling tiles rimmed with aluminum
>flashing but it has to be wide open on one side for ventilation and
>doesn't quiet the genny enough that I can't hear it from the street.
>The noise is mechanical, an extra muffler makes little difference.

Bury that puppy. The ground makes a really nice sound deadener.
The exhaust smell would be the only giveaway.

Jim Wilkins

Nov 19, 2015, 10:33:24 PM11/19/15
"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
I bought some salvaged monocrystalline panels at a flea market, after
quickly testing them. Although the frames have some corrosion and the
screws are rusty they still put out the current shown on the labels,
but the reverse leakage when shaded is rather high so I added series
Schottky diodes.

The HF kit I bought in 2011 has degraded to about 1.7A, as predicted.

>>Weather radar shows me much more accurately than the forecasts when
>>can repair storm damage and when I must stop and cover it up.
>
> Do you subscribe to Wunderground? $10 a year keep the ads
> suppressed.
> Their hourly forecasts are pretty accurate.

NWS radar shows which "scattered" patches of rain or snow are
approaching my house, nearly in real time.
http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/pacsouthwest_lite_loop.php

>>Unwatched generators attract thieves. I made a sound dampening
>>enclosure from fireproof acoustic ceiling tiles rimmed with aluminum
>>flashing but it has to be wide open on one side for ventilation and
>>doesn't quiet the genny enough that I can't hear it from the street.
>>The noise is mechanical, an extra muffler makes little difference.
>
> Bury that puppy. The ground makes a really nice sound deadener.
> The exhaust smell would be the only giveaway.

You don't understand Granite State soil conditions. Except near rivers
excavation requires dynamite. The last Ice Age scrubbed this place
bare, then deposited a thin layer of sand and rocks as it melted.

-jsw

Gunner Asch

Nov 19, 2015, 10:49:56 PM11/19/15
On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 18:37:04 -0800, Larry Jaques
<lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

> I have 2 deep
>cycle Group 24 batteries for that, and used 2/0 cable between them and
>the inverter. I have yet to hook it up and try it.
Best be doin that soon...the warranty is running....

Larry Jaques

Nov 20, 2015, 1:37:11 AM11/20/15
On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 07:26:15 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 13:11:35 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
>> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>><gghe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>You won't make -me- jealous, I have more toys than space to store
>>>them. I wasted the morning digging around for wiring harnesses I
>>>made
>>>to test a solar panel controller and then put away until time to
>>>install it, which I've finally gotten to.
>>
>> Why didn't you leave the harness with the controller, duuuuude?
>
>I put them with this temporarily wired meter.
>http://www.amazon.com/6-5-100V-Display-Digital-Multimeter-Voltmeter/dp/B013PKYILS

Picked up one of the little $13 AODE aluminum-cased wattmeters you
mentioned last time, thanks. It works well.

>>Thinking about moving to a smaller water heater (20g) which can be
>>heated with lower power elements fed directly from a 24v solar array.
>>Hot water is nearly half my electric use, which now averages $41/mo.
>
>I heat water for laundry in kettles on the woodstove.

I can't stand wood heat, but may when the SHTF. Need to buy one of
those little guys for $60, JIC. http://tinyurl.com/qdvp8lt

Does anyone _like_ the smell of wood smoke in the house? Then again,
having heat would be A Good Thing(tm), if the natural gas goes out. I
wonder if they keep generators for the nat gas pumps, and how long
they'd last once the pumps quit, if not. Delivery pressure is 1.5psi,
so it may last a long while.

Jim Wilkins

Nov 20, 2015, 8:18:13 AM11/20/15
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 07:26:15 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 13:11:35 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
>>> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why didn't you leave the harness with the controller, duuuuude?
>>
>>I put them with this temporarily wired meter.
>>http://www.amazon.com/6-5-100V-Display-Digital-Multimeter-Voltmeter/dp/B013PKYILS
>
> Picked up one of the little $13 AODE aluminum-cased wattmeters you
> mentioned last time, thanks. It works well.

Don't trust the least significant digit of the Amps readout. Mine
actually resolves to 0.2A and fakes higher sensitivity by dithering
the raw value. The wires are too small for its full-scale Amp
capacity. Otherwise it's a very handy gadget for checking and
reconditioning older batteries.
http://www.artecing.com.uy/pdf/guias_megger/New%20-%20BatteryTestingGuide_en_LR.pdf

I've found a DC resistance check while periodically topping off a
battery to be a good, quick indication of when it needs attention. I
haven't found a good Net reference to this yet, all descriptions of
battery impedance testing I've seen are from companies trying to sell
fancy equipment for it, just like desulfation.

The Bayite meter is more suited to a fixed installation, with the
shunt in the battery cable and the readout at the control panel. I
added a DPDT switch to reverse the (fused) shunt sense leads so it can
read either charge or discharge current. My inverter is an APC1400 UPS
which can draw over 50A continuously, probably too much for the Aode's
wires.

>>>Thinking about moving to a smaller water heater (20g) which can be
>>>heated with lower power elements fed directly from a 24v solar
>>>array.
>>>Hot water is nearly half my electric use, which now averages
>>>$41/mo.
>>
>>I heat water for laundry in kettles on the woodstove.
>
> I can't stand wood heat, but may when the SHTF. Need to buy one of
> those little guys for $60, JIC. http://tinyurl.com/qdvp8lt
>
> Does anyone _like_ the smell of wood smoke in the house? Then
> again,
> having heat would be A Good Thing(tm), if the natural gas goes out.
> wonder if they keep generators for the nat gas pumps, and how long
> they'd last once the pumps quit, if not. Delivery pressure is
> 1.5psi,
> so it may last a long while.

A properly installed and operated wood stove doesn't emit smoke into
the house, all leaks draw air in. I've learned how to set the draft
for complete combustion with little or no visible smoke from the
chimney.

That wasn't easy. I have thermocouples on the basement stove with
readouts in the kitchen and bedroom and an outdoor mirror plus a night
vision camera to observe the chimney top. It's very convenient to know
when to tend the stove or the food cooking on it from upstairs.

These are cheap and good enough if you can't find (and fix) surplus
lab instruments as I did.
http://www.amazon.com/Durable-TM-902C-Digital-Thermometer-Thermocouple/dp/B00EQ1WH9Q

-jsw

Jim Wilkins

Nov 20, 2015, 9:38:47 AM11/20/15
"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 07:26:15 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone _like_ the smell of wood smoke in the house? Then
> again,
> having heat would be A Good Thing(tm), if the natural gas goes out.
> wonder if they keep generators for the nat gas pumps, and how long
> they'd last once the pumps quit, if not. Delivery pressure is
> 1.5psi,
> so it may last a long while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressor_station
"A small portion of natural gas from the pipeline is burned to power
the turbine."

"Commonly known as "recips," these engines are fueled by natural gas
from the pipeline."

I never investigated how reliable or susceptible to sabotage the gas
lines may be. Electricity on poles is demonstrably vulnerable but easy
to repair. Our ice storms and distracted drivers keep the crews in
practice.

My automatic backup is the house's original baseboard electric heat,
set to come on at 50F. I have these on the wall thermostat wires to
warn me if they turn on or I forget to set the bathroom back after
showering.
http://www.amazon.com/CR-Magnetics-Remote-Current-Indicator/dp/B006K3O1MY
In an unlit hallway the LED is visible at a much lower current than
they list. There's no sharp 'turn-on point", they just get brighter as
the current increases.

-jsw

Larry Jaques

Nov 20, 2015, 8:07:35 PM11/20/15
On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 22:33:46 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
Cheap, quick, and easy.

>The HF kit I bought in 2011 has degraded to about 1.7A, as predicted.

Ouch! Is that 20-23W? (vs 45W)

>>>Unwatched generators attract thieves. I made a sound dampening
>>>enclosure from fireproof acoustic ceiling tiles rimmed with aluminum
>>>flashing but it has to be wide open on one side for ventilation and
>>>doesn't quiet the genny enough that I can't hear it from the street.
>>>The noise is mechanical, an extra muffler makes little difference.
>>
>> Bury that puppy. The ground makes a really nice sound deadener.
>> The exhaust smell would be the only giveaway.
>
>You don't understand Granite State soil conditions. Except near rivers
>excavation requires dynamite. The last Ice Age scrubbed this place
>bare, then deposited a thin layer of sand and rocks as it melted.

Well, if you had a large enough Fresnel lens, you could...
Must suck to put fencing in there, huh? BUT, how are the authorities
around there? Do they readily OK blasting? If so, HAVE FUN! Let's
see, a couple kilos of octanitrocubane and you're making news. ;)
It has the secondary benefit of making your entire neighborhood less
ready to come ask for things when the SHTF.

I saw "cubane" listed in a fictional story I read last month so I
looked it up. It's real! http://tinyurl.com/of9zsj8

Larry Jaques

Nov 20, 2015, 8:08:05 PM11/20/15
On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 19:47:28 -0800, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:
This is true. Maybe Sunday...

Jim Wilkins

Nov 20, 2015, 8:58:52 PM11/20/15
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 22:33:46 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>The HF kit I bought in 2011 has degraded to about 1.7A, as
>>predicted.
>
> Ouch! Is that 20-23W? (vs 45W)

Mine were NEVER good for 45 Watts. That was at the Maximum Power Point
of 17V while real-world power is at 12V. I think I saw 32W from them
once when they were new.

-jsw

Larry Jaques

Nov 20, 2015, 11:13:46 PM11/20/15
On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 08:18:34 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
I guess I'll have to remember to crank the draft wide open to load
firewood, but I've never seen a house yet whose wood stove didn't blow
smoke into it, regardless of settings. <shrug>

>That wasn't easy. I have thermocouples on the basement stove with
>readouts in the kitchen and bedroom and an outdoor mirror plus a night
>vision camera to observe the chimney top. It's very convenient to know
>when to tend the stove or the food cooking on it from upstairs.

Hah, that's cool! Self-surveilled. Are those remote t-coups?

>These are cheap and good enough if you can't find (and fix) surplus
>lab instruments as I did.
>http://www.amazon.com/Durable-TM-902C-Digital-Thermometer-Thermocouple/dp/B00EQ1WH9Q

I have a thermocouple available with my Mastech DVM.

Jim Wilkins

Nov 20, 2015, 11:26:22 PM11/20/15
"Jim Wilkins" <murat...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I had to cut that posting short to go and listen to Lindsay Graham and
John McCain speak, then mingle with the audience. The Republicans at
least seem to like our NH style of face-to-face campaigning, rent a
hall and let anyone in to listen and ask questions, rather than the
big-money media circus of larger states. It becomes a good test of
mental endurance that weeds many out.

Bush, Graham and Kasich are experienced leaders with solid plans and
ideas, "policy wonks", any of which I'd be comfortable with as
President. I haven't had a chance to meet Carson, Cruz or Rubio yet,
and Jim Webb had to cancel.

Here's a list of the candidates.
http://www.politics1.com/p2016.htm
You say you want more choices???

-jsw

Larry Jaques

Nov 20, 2015, 11:40:45 PM11/20/15
On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 09:39:10 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 07:26:15 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
>> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Does anyone _like_ the smell of wood smoke in the house? Then
>> again,
>> having heat would be A Good Thing(tm), if the natural gas goes out.
>> wonder if they keep generators for the nat gas pumps, and how long
>> they'd last once the pumps quit, if not. Delivery pressure is
>> 1.5psi,
>> so it may last a long while.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressor_station
>"A small portion of natural gas from the pipeline is burned to power
>the turbine."
>
>"Commonly known as "recips," these engines are fueled by natural gas
>from the pipeline."

Bloody mahvelous!

>I never investigated how reliable or susceptible to sabotage the gas
>lines may be. Electricity on poles is demonstrably vulnerable but easy
>to repair. Our ice storms and distracted drivers keep the crews in
>practice.

Transformers are far too susceptible to sabotage, too, especially
"hidden" behind chain link fences.

>My automatic backup is the house's original baseboard electric heat,
>set to come on at 50F. I have these on the wall thermostat wires to
>warn me if they turn on or I forget to set the bathroom back after
>showering.

I ripped all those out in 2002, less than 2 weeks after I moved in
this house. CROM, those suck. 40F floor, 65F in the middle, and 90F
at your head when you stand up, all while sucking 4kWh per unit. The
96% efficient HVAC cost me $6k, but it blows the air around and keeps
everything mixed so the temp at the floor is the same at the ceiling,
more or less. I like to stand under the vent when I come in from
outside in the winter. How can you stand baseboard heat, especially
when it's not on PV to pay for it?

>http://www.amazon.com/CR-Magnetics-Remote-Current-Indicator/dp/B006K3O1MY
>In an unlit hallway the LED is visible at a much lower current than
>they list. There's no sharp 'turn-on point", they just get brighter as
>the current increases.

I guess with -those- heaters, you can save money and buy the 1AAC
setpoint units for the least cost. And each probably shines bright
enough to light your whole house. <g>

I see that you're a fellow gadget freak.

Larry Jaques

Nov 20, 2015, 11:45:19 PM11/20/15
On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 20:59:19 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 22:33:46 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
>> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>The HF kit I bought in 2011 has degraded to about 1.7A, as
>>>predicted.
>>
>> Ouch! Is that 20-23W? (vs 45W)
>
>Mine were NEVER good for 45 Watts. That was at the Maximum Power Point
>of 17V while real-world power is at 12V. I think I saw 32W from them
>once when they were new.

HUH? Y'mean to tell me that HF uses Searz Watts?

Jim Wilkins

Nov 21, 2015, 12:49:15 AM11/21/15
"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
I can't say my stove -never- smoulders, catches and backfires but it's
rare. Lighting it may be smoky until the cold draft down the chimney
reverses. Burning one sheet of crumpled newspaper in the upper chamber
is usually enough to get the air flowing up long enough to light the
kindling.

When the stove is up to temperature the draft vacuum runs between 0.08
and 0.15 inches of water, enough to make the air inlet whistle.
http://www.amazon.com/0-2-0-Magnehelic-Diff-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B008HQ4K9G

I can remove the cleanout cap in the inside flue pipe without
releasing smoke into the house.

>>That wasn't easy. I have thermocouples on the basement stove with
>>readouts in the kitchen and bedroom and an outdoor mirror plus a
>>night
>>vision camera to observe the chimney top. It's very convenient to
>>know
>>when to tend the stove or the food cooking on it from upstairs.
>
> Hah, that's cool! Self-surveilled. Are those remote t-coups?

I found spools of cheaper thermocouple extension wire at the surplus
store and ran them from the stove in the basement to the kitchen and
bedroom.
http://www.awcwire.com/productspec.aspx?id=pvc-single-pair
The X indicates extension wire which matches real thermocouple wire
only near room temperature.

The dollar a pound price for regular wire was better than a dollar a
foot for real thermocouple wire. Omega charges only a little more for
high-quality new wire:
http://www.omega.com/pptst/XC_K_TC_WIRE.html

These panel jacks
http://www.omega.com/pptst/MPJ.html
snap into these wall outlet faceplates with only a little trimming
https://www.computercablestore.com/12-port-keystone-faceplate-dual-gang-white-3

>>These are cheap and good enough if you can't find (and fix) surplus
>>lab instruments as I did.
>>http://www.amazon.com/Durable-TM-902C-Digital-Thermometer-Thermocouple/dp/B00EQ1WH9Q
>
> I have a thermocouple available with my Mastech DVM.

If my Tekpower DVM is like it the cold compensation isn't exact and
the linearization is incorrect. The PC datalogging program corrects
the linearization and shows a difference from the meter's display. The
error is only a few degrees C. When I log the house's heating or
cooling rates I record a few temperature points and times from the lab
instruments for calibration correction. They read within 1 degree C at
freezing and boiling regardless of room temperature.

-jsw

Jim Wilkins

Nov 21, 2015, 1:15:14 AM11/21/15
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 20:59:19 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message

>>> Ouch! Is that 20-23W? (vs 45W)
>>
>>Mine were NEVER good for 45 Watts. That was at the Maximum Power
>>Point
>>of 17V while real-world power is at 12V. I think I saw 32W from them
>>once when they were new.
>
> HUH? Y'mean to tell me that HF uses Searz Watts?

They may deliver that power into a large rheostat set to load them to
17V, but you won't get it from a 12V battery using the kit's PWM
controller.

Said large (300W) rheostat showed that my monocrystalline panels put
out nearly the same power at 18V, 17V and 16V, the current rising as
the voltage drops.

-jsw

Jim Wilkins

Nov 21, 2015, 9:32:20 AM11/21/15

"Jim Wilkins" <murat...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I forgot to mention that I checked the HF panels too. The three
aluminum-framed ones from the kit I bought in 2011 and two newer
plastic-framed ones that have had very little sun exposure all
generated 0.5 to 0.6A at 17V, averaging around 9W each. Their reverse
leakage is only a few milliAmps at 17V, less than 1/10 that of the old
monocrystalline panels. Nevertheless I replaced the shorted blocking
diode in my HF controller so battery voltage and possibly high fault
current couldn't feed back onto the wires running out to the panels.

McCain on TV News: "You cannot buy a vote in New Hampshire, they have
to hear you."
He should know since his campaign went broke before he recovered and
won the nomination.

I generally like McCain but TV doesn't show his occasional "senior
moments".

-jsw

Larry Jaques

Nov 21, 2015, 4:49:43 PM11/21/15
On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 00:49:41 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message

>> I guess I'll have to remember to crank the draft wide open to load
>> firewood, but I've never seen a house yet whose wood stove didn't
>> blow
>> smoke into it, regardless of settings. <shrug>
>
>I can't say my stove -never- smoulders, catches and backfires but it's
>rare. Lighting it may be smoky until the cold draft down the chimney
>reverses. Burning one sheet of crumpled newspaper in the upper chamber
>is usually enough to get the air flowing up long enough to light the
>kindling.

I've always done the wadded paper at the chimney trick to get the
smoke drafted up that way from the start.

>When the stove is up to temperature the draft vacuum runs between 0.08
>and 0.15 inches of water, enough to make the air inlet whistle.
>http://www.amazon.com/0-2-0-Magnehelic-Diff-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B008HQ4K9G

Har, he even measured it! <g>
(Yup, Gadgaholic) I guess my old automotive vacuum gauge won't cut it.

>I can remove the cleanout cap in the inside flue pipe without
>releasing smoke into the house.

>>>That wasn't easy. I have thermocouples on the basement stove with
>>>readouts in the kitchen and bedroom and an outdoor mirror plus a
>>>night
>>>vision camera to observe the chimney top. It's very convenient to
>>>know
>>>when to tend the stove or the food cooking on it from upstairs.
>>
>> Hah, that's cool! Self-surveilled. Are those remote t-coups?
>
>I found spools of cheaper thermocouple extension wire at the surplus
>store and ran them from the stove in the basement to the kitchen and
>bedroom.
>http://www.awcwire.com/productspec.aspx?id=pvc-single-pair
>The X indicates extension wire which matches real thermocouple wire
>only near room temperature.

Cool.

>The dollar a pound price for regular wire was better than a dollar a
>foot for real thermocouple wire.

For K t-coup wire?!? Seems way heavy.

>These panel jacks
>http://www.omega.com/pptst/MPJ.html
>snap into these wall outlet faceplates with only a little trimming
>https://www.computercablestore.com/12-port-keystone-faceplate-dual-gang-white-3

Ensuring a Kosher and clean setup.

http://tinyurl.com/ofygs9s $4.56 delivered.

>> I have a thermocouple available with my Mastech DVM.
>
>If my Tekpower DVM is like it the cold compensation isn't exact and

I think Tekpower bought them, so they're probably nearly identical.

>the linearization is incorrect. The PC datalogging program corrects
>the linearization and shows a difference from the meter's display. The
>error is only a few degrees C. When I log the house's heating or
>cooling rates I record a few temperature points and times from the lab
>instruments for calibration correction. They read within 1 degree C at
>freezing and boiling regardless of room temperature.

If and when I get into datalogging (most of the new MPPT controllers
have that capability), I'll remember this.

Now that I'm retired, I have all sorts of projects lined up and ready
to go, and I'm gaining the time to get around to them. You're NOT
helping. <vbg>

dca...@krl.org

Nov 21, 2015, 8:31:13 PM11/21/15
On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 4:49:43 PM UTC-5, Larry Jaques wrote:

> I've always done the wadded paper at the chimney trick to get the
> smoke drafted up that way from the start.

My wood stove has an opening such that I can use a small propane torch to preheat the air in the chimney. So I do that and then close that opening and use the torch to light the kindling. I refill the 16 oz propane tanks from a 20 lb cylinder.

Dan

Larry Jaques

Nov 21, 2015, 10:51:22 PM11/21/15
On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 23:26:46 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Jim Wilkins" <murat...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message

>>> Ouch! Is that 20-23W? (vs 45W)
>>
>> Mine were NEVER good for 45 Watts. That was at the Maximum Power
>> Point of 17V while real-world power is at 12V. I think I saw 32W
>> from them once when they were new.
>>
>> -jsw
>
>I had to cut that posting short to go and listen to Lindsay Graham and
>John McCain speak, then mingle with the audience. The Republicans at
>least seem to like our NH style of face-to-face campaigning, rent a
>hall and let anyone in to listen and ask questions, rather than the
>big-money media circus of larger states. It becomes a good test of
>mental endurance that weeds many out.

Sounds good to me.

>Bush, Graham and Kasich are experienced leaders with solid plans and
>ideas, "policy wonks", any of which I'd be comfortable with as
>President. I haven't had a chance to meet Carson, Cruz or Rubio yet,
>and Jim Webb had to cancel.

McCain's out: too religious/hawkish (strange companions) + other
things. He's not the man I thought he was when he first ran, so I
dumped him back then.

Carson's out: too religious and not nearly tough enough on illegals.
Rand wants illegals here? I like the man, but: Out!

Ditto Cruz on the latter. Jindal has now dropped out, and I'm waiting
for most of the above to drop, too. I'm waiting until they nominate
to see whether or not I'll have to write in my candidate of choice.
Not looking forward to it. Hell, if Perot were still eligible, he'd
get my nod in a nanosecond. Methinks that was our last chance to take
the road which didn't lead directly to Hell. <deep sigh>

>Here's a list of the candidates.
>http://www.politics1.com/p2016.htm
>You say you want more choices???

No, I said I want --== REAL ==-- choices. <sigh>

Larry Jaques

Nov 21, 2015, 10:54:31 PM11/21/15
On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 01:15:40 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 20:59:19 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
>> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message

>>>Mine were NEVER good for 45 Watts. That was at the Maximum Power
>>>Point
>>>of 17V while real-world power is at 12V. I think I saw 32W from them
>>>once when they were new.
>>
>> HUH? Y'mean to tell me that HF uses Searz Watts?
>
>They may deliver that power into a large rheostat set to load them to
>17V, but you won't get it from a 12V battery using the kit's PWM
>controller.
>
>Said large (300W) rheostat showed that my monocrystalline panels put
>out nearly the same power at 18V, 17V and 16V, the current rising as
>the voltage drops.

I'm OK with the original PWM ctrl on the HF array, but after reading
what MPPT can do with arrays wired at 24v or more, I definitely want
one for my larger array when I get it. I'm on the fence between a
Taiwanese brand and an Outback, either 60 or 80A models for the
possibility of additional panels in the coming years.

Larry Jaques

Nov 21, 2015, 10:59:10 PM11/21/15
On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 09:32:44 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
HF monocrystallines, or the new used panels?

>Nevertheless I replaced the shorted blocking
>diode in my HF controller so battery voltage and possibly high fault
>current couldn't feed back onto the wires running out to the panels.

>McCain on TV News: "You cannot buy a vote in New Hampshire, they have
>to hear you."
>He should know since his campaign went broke before he recovered and
>won the nomination.
>
>I generally like McCain but TV doesn't show his occasional "senior
>moments".

Nor his extreme hawk moments. He's too eager to get into ME wars.
I'd just as soon pull all our men out (stop the bleeding from our
Treasury) and send a few SEALS over some night to take out the bad
guys.

Jim Wilkins

Nov 22, 2015, 6:57:11 AM11/22/15
<dca...@krl.org> wrote in message
Has your refilled cylinder ever leaked?
-jsw

dca...@krl.org

Nov 22, 2015, 7:15:17 AM11/22/15
On Sunday, November 22, 2015 at 6:57:11 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:

> Has your refilled cylinder ever leaked?
> -jsw

I have bought a number of small propane torches at garage sales. So when I refill a tank, I put a torch on the tank. So no problem with leaks.

And I do not mess with the relief valve. To refill a cylinder, I put the cylinder in the freezer and refill after the cylinder is cold. If the tank is completely empty, I may have to cool it and refill it more than once. Best to do this when the cylinder is about 1/4 full. The steel tank does not have much thermal mass.

But to answer your question, yes I have had refilled cylinders leak.

Dan

Jim Wilkins

Nov 22, 2015, 7:47:38 AM11/22/15
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 09:32:44 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>McCain on TV News: "You cannot buy a vote in New Hampshire, they
>>have
>>to hear you."
>>He should know since his campaign went broke before he recovered and
>>won the nomination.
>>
>>I generally like McCain but TV doesn't show his occasional "senior
>>moments".
>
> Nor his extreme hawk moments. He's too eager to get into ME wars.
> I'd just as soon pull all our men out (stop the bleeding from our
> Treasury) and send a few SEALS over some night to take out the bad
> guys.

The current estimate to destroy Daesh from a retired
military/scientific advisor and writer whose blog I follow is three
divisions and all our A-10s plus SEAD assets. A smaller force could do
it but would suffer higher casualties in a longer effort. Rooting them
out after firepower forces them to disperse will require a large
committment of infantry.

-jsw

Jim Wilkins

Nov 22, 2015, 8:31:06 AM11/22/15
"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
The HF panels are amorphous. I assumed that you knew the difference.

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-12-volt-solar-panel-96418.html
"Amorphous crystal panel for superior performance in both bright sun
and low light or partial shade"

-jsw

Jim Wilkins

Nov 22, 2015, 8:53:17 AM11/22/15
<dca...@krl.org> wrote in message
===============

I bought the adapter fitting and extension hose but haven't used them
yet. Now might be a good time since the weather is 50's during the day
and 20's at night. I could insulate the big tank with bubble wrap to
retain the day's heat and let it fill the small one outdoors
overnight.

-jsw

Larry Jaques

Nov 22, 2015, 9:02:50 AM11/22/15
On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 07:48:05 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 09:32:44 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
>> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>McCain on TV News: "You cannot buy a vote in New Hampshire, they
>>>have
>>>to hear you."
>>>He should know since his campaign went broke before he recovered and
>>>won the nomination.
>>>
>>>I generally like McCain but TV doesn't show his occasional "senior
>>>moments".
>>
>> Nor his extreme hawk moments. He's too eager to get into ME wars.
>> I'd just as soon pull all our men out (stop the bleeding from our
>> Treasury) and send a few SEALS over some night to take out the bad
>> guys.
>>

>The current estimate to destroy Daesh from a retired
>military/scientific advisor and writer whose blog I follow is three
>divisions and all our A-10s plus SEAD assets. A smaller force could do
>it but would suffer higher casualties in a longer effort. Rooting them
>out after firepower forces them to disperse will require a large
>committment of infantry.

Too bad he isn't in charge, eh?

What the brass doesn't seem to "get" is that there will be collateral
deaths of innocents during a "war". Dust 'em and get out. Far fewer
will die (on both sides) the quicker we do just that.

Jim Wilkins

Nov 22, 2015, 9:20:26 AM11/22/15
"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
This was his boss, who should have been in charge:
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/02/obituaries/stefan-t-possony-82-a-scholar-of-international-security-affairs.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Thomas_Possony

-jsw

Jim Wilkins

Nov 22, 2015, 10:17:02 AM11/22/15
"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
They do get it, and it cripples them into inaction.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/04/how-britain-and-us-abandoned-srebrenica-massacre-1995
BTW, we still have troops there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Bondsteel

Our planes can't attack ISIS oil tankers because their drivers -might-
be innocent civilians.

"Good" people do nothing wrong. It doesn't matter if they also do
nothing right, even when in command. How often do news helicopters
rescue crash victims?

I found two incidents:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wfor-cbs-miami-crew-helps-locate-crashed-plane-help-rescue-victims/
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/news-helicopter-helps-save-plane-crash-victims-in-/nJgs6/

-jsw

Larry Jaques

Nov 22, 2015, 9:14:15 PM11/22/15
On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 09:20:52 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 07:48:05 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
>> <murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>The current estimate to destroy Daesh from a retired
>>>military/scientific advisor and writer whose blog I follow is three
>>>divisions and all our A-10s plus SEAD assets. A smaller force could
>>>do
>>>it but would suffer higher casualties in a longer effort. Rooting
>>>them
>>>out after firepower forces them to disperse will require a large
>>>committment of infantry.
>>
>> Too bad he isn't in charge, eh?

I like the guy. Good article about this in the Defense Journal.

>> What the brass doesn't seem to "get" is that there will be
>> collateral
>> deaths of innocents during a "war". Dust 'em and get out. Far fewer
>> will die (on both sides) the quicker we do just that.
>
>This was his boss, who should have been in charge:
>http://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/02/obituaries/stefan-t-possony-82-a-scholar-of-international-security-affairs.html
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Thomas_Possony

WOW, talk about opposite positions in articles. Those 2 don't sound
like they're referring to the same guy.

Larry Jaques

Nov 22, 2015, 9:17:28 PM11/22/15
On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 08:31:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
>> HF monocrystallines, or the new used panels?
>
>The HF panels are amorphous. I assumed that you knew the difference.
>
>http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-12-volt-solar-panel-96418.html
>"Amorphous crystal panel for superior performance in both bright sun
>and low light or partial shade"

NON-crystalline silicon? No, I hadn't noticed that.

Larry Jaques

Nov 22, 2015, 9:19:36 PM11/22/15
I went out and added a battery to the array and hooked up the
inverter. It runs the electric chainsaw just fine, thankfully.
It's all boxed back up for the winter now.

Spehro Pefhany

Nov 23, 2015, 12:28:01 AM11/23/15
On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 18:17:29 -0800, the renowned Larry Jaques
<lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 08:31:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
><murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
>>> HF monocrystallines, or the new used panels?
>>
>>The HF panels are amorphous. I assumed that you knew the difference.
>>
>>http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-12-volt-solar-panel-96418.html
>>"Amorphous crystal panel for superior performance in both bright sun
>>and low light or partial shade"
>
>NON-crystalline silicon? No, I hadn't noticed that.

Wth is an "amorphous crystal"? They're opposites. Do they mean
*poly*crystalline, perhaps?

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Jim Wilkins

Nov 23, 2015, 6:42:36 AM11/23/15
"Spehro Pefhany" <spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 18:17:29 -0800, the renowned Larry Jaques
> <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 08:31:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
>><murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"Larry Jaques" <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>>The HF panels are amorphous. I assumed that you knew the
>>>difference.
>>>
>>>http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-12-volt-solar-panel-96418.html
>>>"Amorphous crystal panel for superior performance in both bright
>>>sun
>>>and low light or partial shade"
>>
>>NON-crystalline silicon? No, I hadn't noticed that.
>
> Wth is an "amorphous crystal"? They're opposites. Do they mean
> *poly*crystalline, perhaps?
>

> --sp

Do you expect ad copy writers to understand chemistry?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_silicon

Perhaps they are "nanocrystalline." Even glass and rubber may have
localized crystalline structure.

-jsw

Ed Huntress

Nov 23, 2015, 9:41:50 AM11/23/15
On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 06:43:02 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
Amorphous silicon is not nanocrystalline, or any other crystalline.
It's a non-crystalline allotrope of silicon.

An old friend of mine was working on amorphous silicon solar cells at
Harvard back in the '80s. They never achieved the efficiency that was
hoped for, but there are some thin-film amorphous silicon cells
around, or there were.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins

Nov 23, 2015, 11:30:27 AM11/23/15
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
A regular crystalline structure has a lower energy and will form
spontaneously to the extent allowed by processing conditions which are
likely proprietary secrets.
http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/jap/65/5/10.1063/1.342851

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_solid
"Even amorphous materials have some shortrange order at the atomic
length scale due to the nature of chemical bonding .... Even the most
advanced structural characterization techniques, such as x-ray
diffraction and transmission electron microscopy, have difficulty in
distinguishing between amorphous and crystalline structures on these
length scales."

I meant the uneducated ad copy writer at Harbor Freight.

-jsw

Ed Huntress

Nov 23, 2015, 12:11:29 PM11/23/15
On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 11:30:54 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
The silicon used in thin-film cells typically is doped, or nucleated
with hydrogen. These typically wind up being nanocrystalline materials
as they're applied to a specific task.

But as-deposited amorphous silicon has no detectable cystal structure,
at any scale. The standard diffraction method for detecting amorphous
materials may be ambiguous at nanoscales, but there is no *positive*
indicator for crystal structure in pure amorpous silicon.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins

Nov 23, 2015, 1:07:43 PM11/23/15
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
This disagrees:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168583X11006628
"By high resolution transmission electron microscopy (HRTEM) it was
found that the average size of crystals in samples deposited in that
way were similar, about 8-9 nm, whereas crystal size distributions
were generally broad and varied for different samples."

The crystalline structure may simply have been undetectable with your
friend's equipment back in the 1980's.

In the 60's the analysis of crystals by X-Ray diffraction needed a
dedicated round room with film or detectors at precisely positionable
locations on the walls. Constructive interference from the regularly
spaced atoms in crystal structures focuses the X-rays into spots on
the wall like a prism. Amorphous material just creates diffuse fog.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_crystallography

-jsw

dca...@krl.org

Nov 23, 2015, 2:12:26 PM11/23/15
On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 9:41:50 AM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:

> An old friend of mine was working on amorphous silicon solar cells at
> Harvard back in the '80s. They never achieved the efficiency that was
> hoped for, but there are some thin-film amorphous silicon cells
> around, or there were.
>
> --
> Ed Huntress

I think there are still amorphous solar cells around. The solar cells in calculators were pretty much all amorphous cells. Cheap, not too efficient, but adequate for calculators.

Dan

Ed Huntress

Nov 23, 2015, 2:18:02 PM11/23/15
Yes, looking around, I see that's one place where they're still used.
There also are a variety of experimental multi-layer thin-film cells
that contain a layer of amorphous silicon, and which have much higher
efficiency. Sony has made some, and there is a large installation of
them at an agriculture station somewhere in NJ.

The problem Sony had with theirs, initially, was relatively short
life. I don't know if that's still the case.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress

Nov 23, 2015, 2:19:29 PM11/23/15
On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 13:08:10 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
Ok, I'm certainly not up-to-date on them (or on much else <g>), so
I'll defer.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress

Nov 23, 2015, 2:39:43 PM11/23/15
WAIT a minute. That paper is about hydrogen-doped
amorphous/nanocrystalline silicon. It's been known for decades that
doping with hydrogen causes amorphous silicon to adopt a
nanocrystalline structure.

If that's the evidence, then I think the jury is still out on pure
amorphous silicon.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins

Nov 23, 2015, 4:22:21 PM11/23/15
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
Yep, there are many observations we can't explain because we can't yet
measure well enough at the atomic level, especislly below the surface.

That's why I objected to your blanket statement that amorphous silicon
has no nanocrystals, in practical mass production versus by
theoretical definition. I suspect the solar panel makers don't waste
the time and money to check for them, and I once built semiconductor
automatic test equipment for Teradyne and was a lab tech at Unitrode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staebler%E2%80%93Wronski_effect
My amorphous Harbor Freight panels will barely reach 0.6A instead of
the 0.86A they are rated for. When I bought them I didn't have the
test equipment to measure their maximum power point so I don't know if
they met spec even then. No one offered a better kit at a local store.

The surplus monocrystalline panels have degraded in reverse leakage
current but not output. At noon they were pushing 85W into the battery
according to the power meter.

-jsw

Martin Eastburn

Nov 23, 2015, 9:59:54 PM11/23/15
No crystal shape but a crystal. Likely a translation from xxxx to English.

And missed.

Some experimentalist make it out of plastic and other materials.

Martin

Stephen Ryan

Jun 8, 2023, 9:32:27 AM6/8/23
Under $100 welding helmets are considered cheap welding helmets, yet they can give outstanding clarity and protection. It should also be noted that the grinding mode and shade sensors may differ. Even the most affordable welding helmets can be equipped with auto-darkening functions, which are regarded a big advantage.

--
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalworking/welding-helmets-hobby-use-623531-.htm

Bob La Londe

Jun 10, 2023, 2:28:56 PM6/10/23
On 6/8/2023 6:32 AM, Stephen Ryan wrote:
> Under $100 welding helmets are considered cheap welding helmets, yet
> they can give outstanding clarity and protection. It should also be
> noted that the grinding mode and shade sensors may differ. Even the most
> affordable welding helmets can be equipped with auto-darkening
> functions, which are regarded a big advantage.

I have a Lincoln Viking and a Harbor Freight Vulcan, neither is under
$100, but both are reasonably priced and work fairly well. I personally
prefer the Vulcan, but my son prefers the Viking.

If I were to buy a new helmet today I would seriously consider the YES
Welder hood with the forward facing high intensity LED lights. I prefer
to weld inside the shop where practical so that welding gases (or flux
smokes) are not blown away by the slightest breeze, but lighting up the
work piece is an issue.

--
Bob La Londe
Professional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a

www.avg.com

Snag

Jun 10, 2023, 3:44:06 PM6/10/23
On 6/10/2023 1:28 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 6/8/2023 6:32 AM, Stephen Ryan wrote:
>> Under $100 welding helmets are considered cheap welding helmets, yet
>> they can give outstanding clarity and protection. It should also be
>> noted that the grinding mode and shade sensors may differ. Even the
>> most affordable welding helmets can be equipped with auto-darkening
>> functions, which are regarded a big advantage.
>>

> I have a Lincoln Viking and a Harbor Freight Vulcan, neither is under
> $100, but both are reasonably priced and work fairly well.  I personally
> prefer the Vulcan, but my son prefers the Viking.
>
> If I were to buy a new helmet today I would seriously consider the YES
> Welder hood with the forward facing high intensity LED lights.  I prefer
> to weld inside the shop where practical so that welding gases (or flux
> smokes) are not blown away by the slightest breeze, but lighting up the
> work piece is an issue.

I also have a Vulcan , and I like it . I was a little pissed when I
bought it . When the cashier got out her magnifying glass and read me
the fine print on the coupon ... "not valid for Vulcan welding helmets"
. Oh well , I needed it and I was there and ...yes , I'd buy it again
for full price .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Bob La Londe

Jun 10, 2023, 3:51:48 PM6/10/23
Oh, you are not going to be happy with me. I was in the middle of a
project when I decided I needed it "right now." I continued prepping
stock and sent my wife off to pick one up fully prepared to pay full
price... and it was on sale.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

Snag

Jun 10, 2023, 7:56:14 PM6/10/23
I can only applaud your good fortune . Some day Karma is going to
dump a whole buncha Good Shit upon me ... but I ain't gonna hold my
breath while I wait for it .