OT HP printer help ? OT

Terry Coombs

Feb 27, 2015, 12:01:59 PM2/27/15
I just got a new black (61XL) cartridge for my HP 3510 all-in-one , after
an hour on the line with HP support it still pops an "incompatible
cartridge" message and locks up ... anybody know a workaround for this ?
Probably a similar issue to using refilled cartridges , and a similar
solution . I'm still on the line with HP on hold , we'll see what they offer
to do - I got stuff that needs printin' !
Just got off the line , they're sending me a new cartridge . But I still
want to see if there's a hack or workaround ... At 32 bucks a pop I'd like
to maybe try refilling the black . Had less-than-stellar luck refilling
color ... OK , OK , it was a total flop .

--
Snag

F. George McDuffee

Feb 27, 2015, 12:49:21 PM2/27/15
=====================
Used several HP printers and 3n1s over the years and they
were all junk, as were their branded CD burners (which I
paid extra for). The current HP is not the same company
that developed and manufactured the premium electronics and
test equipment that I, and most likely you, used years ago.

Suggest you buy another brand. When my last HP died, I got
a Brother on sale which has been very satisfactory, and the
ink cartridges are very inexpensive.

Check with the office supply chains in your area for sales.
examples from amazon
http://tinyurl.com/md87qll [80$ free shipping]
http://tinyurl.com/om3g5xg

Depending on your print volume, you can pay for the printer
with the ink cartridge saving.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"

Terry Coombs

Feb 27, 2015, 12:59:25 PM2/27/15
F. George McDuffee wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 11:01:56 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
> <snag...@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> I just got a new black (61XL) cartridge for my HP 3510 all-in-one ,
>> after an hour on the line with HP support it still pops an
>> "incompatible cartridge" message and locks up ...
>
> Suggest you buy another brand. When my last HP died, I got
> a Brother on sale which has been very satisfactory, and the
> ink cartridges are very inexpensive.

I think my laser printer is a Brother - too bad it's still in Memphis .
Cartridges cost , but they last like forever - but it only prints black . I
print photos often enough to need a color printer ... this situation ends up
with HP sending me a new one for all the time and trouble , plus Walmart
(the wife works in that department at our local WM) is going to swap this
one . But the next printer I buy won't be an HP ... because as you say ,
they ain't the same as they useta be .
--
Snag

Steve W.

Feb 27, 2015, 1:18:18 PM2/27/15
My antique HP 970 is still going strong. It's getting harder to find ink
but I have some good ink and stored print heads to refill. I may
convert a few over to bulk feed one of these days. I had a Canon that
was bulk feed, it was nice going a couple years without any issues.

--
Steve W.

F. George McDuffee

Feb 27, 2015, 4:27:37 PM2/27/15
On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 11:59:22 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
=================
The Amazon Brother example is a color inkjet, with very good
appearance, esp. at high dpi. If you are going through 3 HP
ctgs per year, you can get the suggested printer and the
pack of aftermarket color/black ctgs for less than the HP
ctgs alone cost.

Another area where American industry shot themselves in the
a**. Consumer inkjet printers were largely a HP
development.... http://tinyurl.com/cydtv49

Martin Eastburn

Feb 27, 2015, 8:40:30 PM2/27/15
Make sure the tape is off the front face of the cartridge so the
contacts and printing holes are exposed.

Just an idea - might be dirty or taped.

Go into the correct socket ? Hope HP got that one figured already.

Martin

John B. Slocomb

Feb 27, 2015, 9:09:49 PM2/27/15
On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 11:01:56 -0600, "Terry Coombs" <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:

I don't use HP but on some of the Canon printers I've had there was a
specific series of buttons, and hold times, to press to reset the ink
reservoirs. A HP might be similar
--
Cheers,

John B.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 27, 2015, 11:32:45 PM2/27/15
Buy low priced HP and Compaq product and you get crap. If you buy
their premium product, you pay big money and get half decent product.
Their premium products can often be purchased used/reconditioned for a
decent price - still more than most "cheap" equipment - and it will
outlast and outperform the low end new stuff.

Brother does build some decent stuff, and the price is pretty good.
Did you know Brother invented the dot matrix printer? An offshoot of
their embroidery machine business.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 27, 2015, 11:34:51 PM2/27/15
On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 13:18:16 -0500, "Steve W." <csr...@NOTyahoo.com>
wrote:
My Canon ip4820 is bulk fed. Works pretty good.

Jim Wilkins

Feb 28, 2015, 9:17:58 AM2/28/15
<cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote in message
> Brother does build some decent stuff, and the price is pretty good.
> Did you know Brother invented the dot matrix printer? An offshoot of
> their embroidery machine business.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centronics
"Howard developed a personal relationship with his neighbor, Max
Hugel, the founder and president of Brother International, the United
States arm of Brother Industries, Ltd., a manufacturer of sewing
machines and typewriters. A business relationship developed when
Centronics needed reliable manufacturing of the printer mechanisms-a
relationship that would help propel Brother into the printer
industry."

In the mid 80's I helped develop a color ink jet printer designed by
the former Centronics engineers. They contracted Juki to build it in
Japan since they said the growing regulatory and union burden had made
manufacturing impractical in the US.

I dampened Japanese bragging that Nihongo is the only language with a
word for 10,000 (ichiman).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myriad

-jsw

Spehro Pefhany

Mar 30, 2015, 8:48:47 AM3/30/15
The Chinese word for 10,000 is "wan" (falling tone). It's also used
generically for any large number like we use "thousand" or "million".
Since that's the mother language for most of the other languages in
the region the quaint local dialects like Japanese and Korean have
variations on it.

Indians have words for 100,000 (lakh) and for 10,000,000 (crore)-
you'll see them fairly frequently even in Indian English.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

Jim Wilkins

Mar 30, 2015, 10:12:34 AM3/30/15
"Spehro Pefhany" <spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in message
That was one of the in-your-face ego-boosting fabrications that
circulated in the 1980's, like the claim that Egyptians in general and
Cleopatra in particular were Black (she was Greek).

The point was to 'prove' that English was less sophisticated because
it lacked such a word. A high-ranking Mitsubishi engineer repeated it
to me so I showed him 'myriad' in his own dictionary, in private to
spare him embarrassment, and never heard or read the claim again.

I acted the humble electronic lab tech until someone underestimated
and tried to snow me with their intellectual superiority. Then they
received an unexpected lesson. In R&D one needs to be able to filter
the slick pretenders from the genuine talent.

-jsw

Spehro Pefhany

Mar 30, 2015, 11:58:06 AM3/30/15
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 10:13:19 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
<murat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>That was one of the in-your-face ego-boosting fabrications that
>circulated in the 1980's, like the claim that Egyptians in general and
>Cleopatra in particular were Black (she was Greek).
>
>The point was to 'prove' that English was less sophisticated because
>it lacked such a word. A high-ranking Mitsubishi engineer repeated it
>to me so I showed him 'myriad' in his own dictionary, in private to
>spare him embarrassment, and never heard or read the claim again.
>
>I acted the humble electronic lab tech until someone underestimated
>and tried to snow me with their intellectual superiority. Then they
>received an unexpected lesson. In R&D one needs to be able to filter
>the slick pretenders from the genuine talent.
>
> -jsw

LOL Good on ya.