Sine Bar for setting lathe tapers -Atten Nick Mueller

Leon Fisk

Aug 28, 2007, 3:27:16 PM8/28/07
Nick was pretty excited about this recently.

===
From: Randy Replogle On Aug 5, 10:22 am

A guy I used to work with had a sine bar that had a base
which was mounted between centers. The actual sine bar was
hinged. I think he held the gage blocks and all together
with rubber bands. I suppose he used a dead center under
pressure to keep everything from moving.

Randy

**Dammit**! That is the super-precision way I have been
looking for since
long!

Thanks a lot!

Nick
===

I just recently came across several patents using a sine bar
to do this. See:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=4651435

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=2398121

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=2511443

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=3389473

The first one looked the most promising if someone was going
to try making one. I don't know if these were ever produced
by anyone. Maybe someone here will know once they look at
them.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Nick Mueller

Aug 28, 2007, 4:40:18 PM8/28/07
Leon Fisk wrote:

> I just recently came across several patents using a sine bar
> to do this. See:

Thanks a **LOT**!
Downloaded them all!

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
<http://www.yadro.de>

ovee-usa

Aug 29, 2007, 1:06:30 AM8/29/07
Alternative to those, see if you can find a Mini-Sine. It's a 2.5"
hinged sine bar with a mag base, and was made way back when by Kingman-
White.. I wouldn't part with mine, but did recently locate one on e-
bay for a co-worker.

F. George McDuffee

Aug 29, 2007, 11:37:48 AM8/29/07
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 05:06:30 -0000, ovee-usa <ove...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Alternative to those, see if you can find a Mini-Sine. It's a 2.5"
>hinged sine bar with a mag base, and was made way back when by Kingman-
>White.. I wouldn't part with mine, but did recently locate one on e-
>bay for a co-worker.

=======
New ones are available.

Some sources in the US are
http://hhip.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=800-5410
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=2724296&PMT4NO=28371076
FWIW msc only sells to companies but Enco [same company] will
generall order and ship MSC items.

You will also need a way to very accurately set the bar. Jo
blocks are best but expensive. A space block set works well and
is much cheaper.
see
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=630-4050&PMPXNO=950511&PARTPG=INLMK3

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.

Bob Engelhardt

Aug 29, 2007, 5:55:36 PM8/29/07
F. George McDuffee wrote:
> FWIW msc only sells to companies ...

Is this new? I have bought from MSC, they did have a $25 minimum.

Bob

DoN. Nichols

Aug 29, 2007, 9:45:00 PM8/29/07
According to Bob Engelhardt <bobeng...@comcast.net>:

MSC happily sells to me. I happen to have a company *name*, but
they really don't care. You *do* have to register with them the first
time, after which they give you a number to accompany your orders.

I last bought from them about two weeks ago.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: <dnic...@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Jimbob

Aug 19, 2016, 8:18:05 AM8/19/16
replying to Leon Fisk, Jimbob wrote:
What you are talking about is a kingman white 2.5 mini sine . I love mine
sadly they ain't made anymore but can be found on eBay don't be shocked when u
see the price . The were over 4 bills new . If you get one without literature
be sure to add .100 to your stack up . As the one roll is smaller this lets
you stack smaller tapers

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalworking/sine-bar-for-setting-lathe-tapers-atten-nick-mueller-74602-.htm

JimI

Mar 8, 2019, 12:18:05 PM3/8/19
replying to Jimbob, JimI wrote:
I saw your August 2016 post concerning the Kingman White Mini-Sine. I also
have one, but am missing the single sheet instruction manual. Do you have a
copy that you could scan for me, or direct me to someone that does? Thank you
for your assistance.

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalworking/sine-bar-for-setting-lathe-tapers-atten-nick-mueller-74602-.htm

Leon Fisk

Mar 10, 2019, 1:11:29 PM3/10/19
On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 17:18:03 GMT
JimI <0f8503901d844703ee...@example.com> wrote:

>replying to Jimbob, JimI wrote:
>I saw your August 2016 post concerning the Kingman White Mini-Sine. I also
>have one, but am missing the single sheet instruction manual. Do you have a
>copy that you could scan for me, or direct me to someone that does? Thank you
>for your assistance.

Nick left this group a long time ago. Bummer... he was a smart guy.
Couldn't handle all the political crap and off topic posts...

You might be able to get a message to him via his youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MuellerNick/featured

It looks like he may still be active there.