OT - photo hosting site

Bob Engelhardt

Sep 19, 2016, 4:47:22 PM9/19/16
Dropbox no longer supports XP users, so I need a new photo host. My
main criterion is simplicity. Both for ease-of-use and minimal
features. I just want to drop an occasional photo there, to be able
share it.

What's good?

Thanks,
Bob

Steve Walker

Sep 19, 2016, 8:08:03 PM9/19/16
I use tinypic. Very simple. Generates tiny urls for image links.

Bob Engelhardt

Sep 19, 2016, 8:30:51 PM9/19/16
On 9/19/2016 8:07 PM, Steve Walker wrote:

> I use tinypic. Very simple. Generates tiny urls for image links.

Thanks - I just uploaded a photo for my "Air-acetylene" post.

Bob

doggerel

Sep 19, 2016, 9:50:50 PM9/19/16
Try http://imgur.com/

The problem with tinypic is that folk can label your images, as has
happened with yours (I'm assuming you didn't put those tags on the pic).

Bob Engelhardt

Sep 19, 2016, 10:11:53 PM9/19/16
On 9/19/2016 9:50 PM, doggerel wrote:
> Try http://imgur.com/
>
> The problem with tinypic is that folk can label your images, as has
> happened with yours (I'm assuming you didn't put those tags on the pic).

I can see how the anybody-tagging might be useful when used by
reasonable people. That doesn't include the internet. What a dumb idea.

I went to imgur and was bewildered. Looked for FAQ, etc with no luck.
Not simple enough for me.

Thanks,
Bob

doggerel

Sep 19, 2016, 11:29:58 PM9/19/16
Took me a while to figure it out - once you do its simple.

Up the top of the page click on "New Post"

Then just drag whatever images you want to post onto the browser window
and then copy the link.

It works for me but we all have our preferences.

Leon Fisk

Sep 20, 2016, 9:06:56 AM9/20/16
Steve sold the Dropbox domain/name awhile back. I understand they made
him an offer he couldn't refuse :)

He migrated all of the old stuff to a new domain. See:

http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox.html

It looks like it is still working. Found stuff recently posted...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Bob Engelhardt

Sep 20, 2016, 9:11:19 AM9/20/16
I meant "dropbox.com".

Leon Fisk

Sep 20, 2016, 9:32:22 AM9/20/16
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 09:11:01 -0400
Bob Engelhardt <BobEng...@comcast.net> wrote:

>On 9/20/2016 9:06 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 16:47:08 -0400
>> Bob Engelhardt <BobEng...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
> [...]
>>
>> Steve sold the Dropbox domain/name awhile back. I understand they made
>> him an offer he couldn't refuse :)
>>
>> He migrated all of the old stuff to a new domain. See:
>>
>> http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox.html
>>
>> It looks like it is still working. Found stuff recently posted...
>>

>I meant "dropbox.com".

Steve used to own "dropbox.com". Investors bugged him for a long time
and kept upping the ante to get him to sell the domain name...

The current dropbox I have little use for. It is a pain to download
stuff from and I'm way too cheap to pay for storage ;-)

Phil Kangas

Sep 20, 2016, 10:59:30 AM9/20/16

"Leon Fisk" <lf...@no.spam.iserv.net> wrote in message
Thanks for the new link. I checked it and a locknut I
posted
6 yrs ago is still there. And I'm using XP. phil k.

Steve W.

Sep 21, 2016, 3:21:33 AM9/21/16
I've had a flikr account for years.
Easy to upload and share from.
supports just about any OS and you have an option of uploading through
email as well as online.

--
Steve W.

Bob Engelhardt

Sep 22, 2016, 8:43:47 PM9/22/16
On 9/19/2016 11:29 PM, doggerel wrote:
> Took me a while to figure it out - once you do its simple.
>
> Up the top of the page click on "New Post"
>
> Then just drag whatever images you want to post onto the browser window
> and then copy the link.
>
> It works for me but we all have our preferences.

Just did it for my latest reply to my torch thread. It was just as easy
as you made it sound. There was a "Copy" button that did not do the
copy-to-clipboard, but no big deal.

Thanks,
Bob

SteamboatEd Haas

Oct 12, 2016, 3:17:43 PM10/12/16
Coming to the party a little late but I'm a BIG fan of flickr.com I've got something over 4,000 photos there, well organized and with comments enabled. Not bad for less than $10/mo.