Outdoor tabletop

Tom Gardner

Aug 18, 2016, 11:10:13 AM8/18/16
I was given a high-end patio table and chair set; very well made!
However the glass top was broken. (that's why I got it)

What's the best way to replace the top. If I cut out a plywood 4'
ci9rcle, that will function but the weather will destroy it. Could it
be sealed to last for years? Or, should I use a different material?
The glass shop wants $125.

Ignoramus25500

Aug 18, 2016, 11:47:26 AM8/18/16
spend

Bob La Londe

Aug 18, 2016, 12:24:41 PM8/18/16
"Ignoramus25500" <ignoram...@NOSPAM.25500.invalid> wrote in message
I agree. If that's a heavy piece of plate glass suitable for the
application. $125 seems fair.

Epoxy seals plywood, but the sun eats the epxoy. Poly resin is much harder
to get to stick to the pkywood, and is not as waterproof. By the time you
do all that $125 seems cheap.

A 4 x 8 aluminum sheet would cost as much or more,. and would rub off on the
hands of your guests.

PVC foam board with a UV inhibitor maybe? Lloyd? You reading this. Does
such an animal exist? Would it be worth it? How bad would it sag?

Keep the chairs and pitch the table?

Put a giant potted plant in the middle?

dca...@krl.org

Aug 18, 2016, 2:10:28 PM8/18/16
Craigslist. Habitate for Humanity store. Maybe get three bids from glass shops.

Dan

Michael A. Terrell

Aug 18, 2016, 2:40:54 PM8/18/16
Ask on Freecycle. There is likely a local online garage sale or
freebie group on Facebook, as well.

Larry Jaques

Aug 18, 2016, 7:56:27 PM8/18/16
On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:10:03 -0400, Tom Gardner <Ma...@tacks.com>
wrote:
Tape the broken glass back together with duct tape, Tawm. Noone'll
notice.

Plywood won't be as pretty, but it will work. House paint lasts a
decade+. Prime it, paint it, and keep up the paint for a long
lifetime, should you choose to go the redneck way.

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.

Jim Wilkins

Aug 18, 2016, 8:38:37 PM8/18/16
"Tom Gardner" <Ma...@tacks.com> wrote in message
In the 1980's I rebuilt my utility trailer with unpainted outdoor
plywood from HD, probably pressure-treated. The bed is rough from
hauling firewood and rocks but the toolbox is in fine condition, it's
merely turned grey.
--jsw

John B.

Aug 18, 2016, 11:27:45 PM8/18/16
On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:10:03 -0400, Tom Gardner <Ma...@tacks.com>
wrote:

No problem at all. A plywood circle, sealed with epoxy resin - several
coats. A coat or two of Epoxy High Build Primer, sand smooth and at
least two coats of a two part poly paint. Probably list your lifetime.
Shouldn't cost more than $500 - $700 :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Gunner Asch

Aug 19, 2016, 1:13:05 AM8/19/16
On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:10:03 -0400, Tom Gardner <Ma...@tacks.com>
wrote:

Corian or a disk of formica bonded to well sealed plywood. In your
neck of the woods...rain and snow are issues..the only sure
replacement that will last for years is Corian or glass. Id probably
go with Corian.

Gunner

---

Jon Elson

Aug 19, 2016, 2:52:39 PM8/19/16
Larry Jaques wrote:

> Tape the broken glass back together with duct tape, Tawm. Noone'll
> notice.
Most of these glass tabletops are tempered glass. If you so much as chip an
edge, they generally explode into thousands of granules. That would take a
LOT of duct tape to put back together.

Jon

Michael A. Terrell

Aug 19, 2016, 3:03:33 PM8/19/16
If Tom were close enough, I would give him a complete table. It's
never been outside. My dad bought it when he was staying here, and he
left it behind when his new home was finished.

Larry Jaques

Aug 19, 2016, 8:43:58 PM8/19/16
On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 22:08:06 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:10:03 -0400, Tom Gardner <Ma...@tacks.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I was given a high-end patio table and chair set; very well made!
>>However the glass top was broken. (that's why I got it)
>>
>>What's the best way to replace the top. If I cut out a plywood 4'
>>ci9rcle, that will function but the weather will destroy it. Could it
>>be sealed to last for years? Or, should I use a different material?
>>The glass shop wants $125.
>
>Corian or a disk of formica bonded to well sealed plywood. In your
>neck of the woods...rain and snow are issues..the only sure
>replacement that will last for years is Corian or glass. Id probably
>go with Corian.

Yeah, but Corian that size would cost him $450.

Ignoramus31642

Aug 19, 2016, 9:23:54 PM8/19/16
On 2016-08-20, Larry Jaques <lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 22:08:06 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:10:03 -0400, Tom Gardner <Ma...@tacks.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I was given a high-end patio table and chair set; very well made!
>>>However the glass top was broken. (that's why I got it)
>>>
>>>What's the best way to replace the top. If I cut out a plywood 4'
>>>ci9rcle, that will function but the weather will destroy it. Could it
>>>be sealed to last for years? Or, should I use a different material?
>>>The glass shop wants $125.
>>
>>Corian or a disk of formica bonded to well sealed plywood. In your
>>neck of the woods...rain and snow are issues..the only sure
>>replacement that will last for years is Corian or glass. Id probably
>>go with Corian.
>
> Yeah, but Corian that size would cost him $450.

How much does it cost to have a shitty table?

Tom Gardner

Aug 20, 2016, 1:44:41 AM8/20/16

> If Tom were close enough, I would give him a complete table. It's
> never been outside. My dad bought it when he was staying here, and he
> left it behind when his new home was finished.

Thanks for the thought! It looks like pressure-treated ply is the
best/cheapest.

Larry Jaques

Aug 20, 2016, 8:29:02 AM8/20/16
On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 15:03:31 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
<mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Jon Elson wrote:
>> Larry Jaques wrote:
>>

>>> Tape the broken glass back together with duct tape, Tawm. Noone'll
>>> notice.
>> Most of these glass tabletops are tempered glass. If you so much as chip an
>> edge, they generally explode into thousands of granules. That would take a
>> LOT of duct tape to put back together.

I think Jon missed the fact that my facetiousity factor was set to
100% there.

> If Tom were close enough, I would give him a complete table. It's
>never been outside. My dad bought it when he was staying here, and he
>left it behind when his new home was finished.

Maybe he'll spend $500 to come pick it up to save the $125.

I thought of you when I saw this yesterday:
http://newatlas.com/northwestern-bandage-diabetic-wounds/44974/

Larry Jaques

Aug 20, 2016, 8:30:29 AM8/20/16
Gazillions in Social Media/PC Points. $12 in cash. You choose.

Larry Jaques

Aug 20, 2016, 9:23:45 AM8/20/16
On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 01:44:22 -0400, Tom Gardner <Ma...@tacks.com>
wrote:
Give it an exotic paint job and the fact that it's a cheapass piece of
ply will fade into the background. Or buy a sheet of Baltic Birch and
clearcoat it with epoxy for a beautiful wooden tabletop. BB ply is
more stable and better made than most. Ditto veneer core veneer ply.
I just bought a sheet of shop-grade MDF-core veneer ply for a cabinet
door I'm making for a client and wouldn't _ever_ use it outside.

Michael A. Terrell

Aug 20, 2016, 4:45:07 PM8/20/16
Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 15:03:31 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
> <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Jon Elson wrote:

>>> Most of these glass tabletops are tempered glass. If you so much as chip an
>>> edge, they generally explode into thousands of granules. That would take a
>>> LOT of duct tape to put back together.
>
> I think Jon missed the fact that my facetiousity factor was set to
> 100% there.

Are you sure? It read just over 107%, down here in the Deep South. ;-)

>> If Tom were close enough, I would give him a complete table. It's
>> never been outside. My dad bought it when he was staying here, and he
>> left it behind when his new home was finished.
>
> Maybe he'll spend $500 to come pick it up to save the $125.

Sigh, No one wants it. Only two people from the group have ever
stopped by, Karl Townsend and his wife, while they were on vacation a
few years ago.

> I thought of you when I saw this yesterday:
> http://newatlas.com/northwestern-bandage-diabetic-wounds/44974/

That sounds interesting, but how will it work on a deep ulcer?

Larry Jaques

Aug 20, 2016, 5:27:13 PM8/20/16
On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 16:44:45 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
<mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Larry Jaques wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 15:03:31 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
>> <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> I think Jon missed the fact that my facetiousity factor was set to
>> 100% there.
>

> Are you sure? It read just over 107%, down here in the Deep South. ;-)

Y'all always did exaggerate thangs.

>>> If Tom were close enough, I would give him a complete table. It's
>>> never been outside. My dad bought it when he was staying here, and he
>>> left it behind when his new home was finished.
>>
>> Maybe he'll spend $500 to come pick it up to save the $125.
>

> Sigh, No one wants it. Only two people from the group have ever
>stopped by, Karl Townsend and his wife, while they were on vacation a
>few years ago.

Who wants to go to Flowda? All ya got there are retired Gnu Yawkuhs.
Oh, and (illegal in Daytona) thong bikinis. Hmm...

>> I thought of you when I saw this yesterday:
>> http://newatlas.com/northwestern-bandage-diabetic-wounds/44974/
>

> That sounds interesting, but how will it work on a deep ulcer?

If you can't brush it on, suck it up into a pressure washer and...

William Bagwell

Aug 20, 2016, 8:30:35 PM8/20/16
On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 17:44:15 -0700, Larry Jaques
<lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

>snips
>Yeah, but Corian that size would cost him $450.

$28 per square foot? Holy crap Bat Man! Need to look at the pile of
scraps my stepson left in the woods ~20 years ago. Most of it was a
competitor brand but some of it was actual Corian. Nothing 4' x 4'
but do remember some at least half that size.
--
William

Larry Jaques

Aug 20, 2016, 9:06:32 PM8/20/16
Halves would work perfectly, William. It ain't light.

Tom Gardner

Aug 21, 2016, 11:54:16 AM8/21/16
If I lived closer to you I'd just come to your place to party outside,
make some sangria, I'll bring the steaks!

Tom Gardner

Aug 21, 2016, 11:55:42 AM8/21/16

> Sigh, No one wants it. Only two people from the group have ever
> stopped by, Karl Townsend and his wife, while they were on vacation a
> few years ago.

Did they get his silverware?

Michael A. Terrell

Aug 21, 2016, 3:52:06 PM8/21/16
What silverware? They were driving from Gainesville, to South
Florida to do some fishing. I don't live very far from I-75, so they
stopped by to say hello.

Larry Jaques

Aug 21, 2016, 9:31:11 PM8/21/16
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 11:54:06 -0400, Tom Gardner <Ma...@tacks.com>
wrote:

>On 8/20/2016 9:24 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 01:44:22 -0400, Tom Gardner <Ma...@tacks.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the thought! It looks like pressure-treated ply is the
>>> best/cheapest.
>>
>> Give it an exotic paint job and the fact that it's a cheapass piece of
>> ply will fade into the background. Or buy a sheet of Baltic Birch and
>> clearcoat it with epoxy for a beautiful wooden tabletop. BB ply is
>> more stable and better made than most. Ditto veneer core veneer ply.
>> I just bought a sheet of shop-grade MDF-core veneer ply for a cabinet
>> door I'm making for a client and wouldn't _ever_ use it outside.
>
>If I lived closer to you I'd just come to your place to party outside,
>make some sangria, I'll bring the steaks!

I'd nix the Sangria (recovering alcoholic here, y'know) but welcome
you and your steaks. If you lived closer.