OT - filling a tire with foam.

Bob Engelhardt

Oct 9, 2016, 5:47:06 PM10/9/16
I have this small tube-type tire on a wagon. It went flat. I took the
tube out & checked it under water - no leaks. I put a new stem in & put
the tire back on the wagon. It went flat!

I gave up & tried something that I saw on YouTube - foam. I drilled
some holes in a sidewall and squirted in some Great Stuff. I left it to
harden and came back to this:

http://imgur.com/a/YcGpa

Not a problem, but definitely amusing.

Bob

David Billington

Oct 9, 2016, 6:08:05 PM10/9/16
So are you going to use it or exhibit it at the Tate Modern. I've not
used Great Stuff but have heard mention of it, is it a resilient foam
with some give in it or is it a hard foam.

Gunner Asch

Oct 9, 2016, 6:29:33 PM10/9/16
Didnt drop a decimal point when calculating volume did we?

(Grin)

---

Larry Jaques

Oct 9, 2016, 10:37:16 PM10/9/16
On Sun, 09 Oct 2016 15:29:20 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 09 Oct 2016 17:46:29 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
><BobEng...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I have this small tube-type tire on a wagon. It went flat. I took the
>>tube out & checked it under water - no leaks. I put a new stem in & put
>>the tire back on the wagon. It went flat!
>>
>>I gave up & tried something that I saw on YouTube - foam. I drilled
>>some holes in a sidewall and squirted in some Great Stuff. I left it to
>>harden and came back to this:
>>
>>http://imgur.com/a/YcGpa
>>
>>Not a problem, but definitely amusing.
>>
>>Bob

Bob, next time, remove the tire and find the culprit which caused your
flat in the first place, and clean out the tire. Then dust it and the
tube with talc and reinstall 'em. Make sure the valve is centered in
the hole when you air it up. Check that the core is seated, too. I've
had several tubes with loose valve cores direct from the factory.
(2 Chi, 1 Amer) I've had great luck with Green Slime, but when the
punctures are in the sidewall or around the valve stem, it's time for
a new tube. Blackberry thorns harass me up here.

The GreatStuff is semi-resilient, but you'll find that it will flatten
if you put very much weight on it, especially over time. It doesn't
rebound from that well. A wheelbarrow, left loaded overnight, will
have an irreparable flat in the morning.

>Didnt drop a decimal point when calculating volume did we?
>
>(Grin)

Perhaps he forgot that it expands? And how do you "calculate volume"
from a spray can of foam, duuuude?

--
If government were a product,
selling it would be illegal.

SteamboatEd Haas

Oct 12, 2016, 2:22:47 PM10/12/16
--Adding foam to tires is a thing that tractor shops sometimes do. Be aware the shit is heavy but it cures to something rubbery that won't crush under load, as will that stuff you used. Plan B: as Larry suggested clean it all out and look for slivers on the inside, rather than outside of the tire.