Where to buy Water Glass (sodium silicate)

TNS30

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
Hi.

Where would one buy Water Glass (sodium silicate). Would it still be available
at a drug store?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Tn...@aol.com

Ted Edwards

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
TNS30 wrote:

> Where would one buy Water Glass (sodium silicate). Would it still be available
> at a drug store?

Probably. Also at farm supply (used for preserving eggs) and ceramic
supply stores. Versatile stuff! :-)

Ted

Eastburn

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
Those of us who went to PRIME and watched the foundry work in Al outside -
got to see WG in action!

Cores were made in plaster molds. Quality small sand was poured in that was
mixed up first with a little WG/Water Glass. This was a thick solution.
Then a tank of CO2 with a hose & regulator - lowish pressure - the head on the
hose was a rubber end that allowed pressing firmly and sealing around the hole.
A central hole allowed the CO2 gas to go down into the sand. A second or two
of gas in one end - flip it over - another second or two - and take the mold apart.

A nice firm central core for casting with. e.g. valve central core....

Very useful. Also used to seal eggs, join plates of glass.....and foundry work...

Martin
--
NRA LOH, NRA Life
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn

Misty & Sean Foley

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
You won't have much luck at the local drug store. Try instead your nearest
potter's supply house, they sell it by the gallon or by the drum.

Your local welding supply shop should be able to sell you the CO2 to gas it
with.

Hope this helps,...........Tinker

BeeCrofter

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
Hardware store here has it in one gallon cans- I guess it is used to apply
labels in some local factory.

Tom

There is an extra Bee in the Email address after the AOL.com

Ted Edwards

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
Eastburn wrote:

> Very useful. Also used to seal eggs, join plates of glass.....and foundry work...

and electrolytic cleaning.
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/E-CLEAN.TXT and
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/E-CLEAN2.TXT.

Ted

Chris K. Hepburn

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
So what exactly does "water glass" do?

How strong is it when it's cured with CO2?

What other stuff can you do with it?

Is it poisonous?

Curious minds want to know...

Chris, AB

John Wasser

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
A few months ago I did a Web search and found a ceramics supply place in
Colorado that had gallons of Waterglass for about $25.

I just did another search and found a place that sells gallons for
$9.72 and 5-gallon buckets for $43.75:

http://www.chemistrystore.com/

I ordered a gallon through their web site.

You can also just call them:

CUSTOMER SERVICE Toll Free 1-888-816-4441
(8 AM to 5 PM EST)

The order numbers are:
1344098-1 $9.72 per gallon
1344098-5 $43.75 per 5-gallon pail

They have about 20 or 30 chemicals in their catalog but many can
be found in a local store (like isopropyl alcohol, Borax, etc.)
Sodium Silicate and Potassium Permanganate (about $4/lb in 2, 5,
10, and 25 pound lots) were the only chemicals that were both
of possible use to me and not available everywhere. Here is the
list... maybe you'll see something you need.

Activated Carbon
Alcohol, Isopropyl
Alum
Aluminum Potassium Sulfate
Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
Ascorbic Acid
Baking Soda
beta-hydroxytricarballylic acid
Bicarbonate of Soda
Blue Copperas
Blue Stone
Borax
Boric Acid
Butoxyethanol
Butyl cellosolve
Calcium Chloride
Caustic Potash
Caustic Soda
Citric Acid
Cocamide DEA
Cocamidopropyl Betaine
Coconut Diethanolamide
Copper Sulfate
DDBSA
D-Limonene
Dipotassium Phosphate
Dipropylene Glycol
Dodecyl Benzenesulfonic Acid
Epsom Salts
Ethanedionic Acid
Glycerin
Glycerol
Glycol Ether EB
Glycolic Acid
Hydroxyacetic Acid
IPA
Isopropanol
Isopropyl Alcohol
Limonene
Lye
Magnesium Sulfate
Mineral Oil
Methyl Salicylate
Oil of Wintergreen
Oleic Acid
Oxalic Acid
Polyvinyl Alcohol
Potassium Alum
Potash Alum
Potassium Carbonate
Potassium Diphosphate
Potassium Hydroxide
Potassium Permanganate
Potassium Phosphate, Dibasic
Potassium Pyrophosphate
1,2-Propanediol
2-Propanol
Propylene Glycol
PVA
Red Oil
Rubbing Alcohol
Silicate of Soda
Silicone Oil
Soda Ash
Sodium Bicarbonate
Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate 40% solution
Sodium Citrate
Sodium Carbonate
Sodium Hydroxide
Sodium Hyposulfite
Sodium Laureth Sulfate 60% solution
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Sodium Metabisulfite
Sodium Orthophosphate
Sodium Orthosilicate
Sodium Perborate
Sodium Percarbonate
Sodium Phosphate, tribasic
Sodium Silicate
Sodium Sulfite
Sodium Tetraborate Decahydrate
Sodium Thiosulfate
Sodium Tripolyphosphate
Sodium Xylene Sulfonate
Stearic Acid
STPP
Sulfamic Acid
Sulfonic Acid
TEA
Tetrapotassium Pyrophosphate
TKPP
Triethanolamine
Triethylene Glycol
Trisodium Phosphate
Triton X-100 R
Vitamin C
Washing Soda
Waterglass
White Oil

Grady & Patty Gamble

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
just got some from walgreens

TNS30 wrote:

> Hi.

> Where would one buy Water Glass (sodium silicate). Would it still be available
> at a drug store?

comp...@mediaone.net

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
We have Sodium Silicate available in small quantities.
http://www.chemistrystore.com/
Bob Novak
The Chemistry Store

In article <19990929191703...@ng-fl1.aol.com>,

--
The Chemistry Store
Your Online Source For Chemicals

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

B&L Denard

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
You can buy it at any Drug Store in pint or quart. that where i buy mine.
Bill D.
BeeCrofter <beecr...@aol.comBee> wrote in message

Roger V. Petrella Jr.

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
In article <7t2hor$n...@atlas.lcc.net>,
"B&L Denard" <den...@lcc.net> wrote:

Okay, I'm kinda dumb here, but what do you use sodium silicate for?

Roger Petrella
Franktown, CO

mikoberg

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
In article long past, Roger V. Petrella Jr. lucidly typed:

---snip---

> Okay, I'm kinda dumb here, but what do you use sodium silicate for?
>
> Roger Petrella
> Franktown, CO

It's actualy sodium silicate solution and its used, metalworking wise, to
make the cores used in sand casting. It is mixed with plain sand tamped
into a prepared mold (and mould material will work from plaster to wood to
metal) then yyou shoot CO2 into the form and the silicate goes through a
chemical change which hardens it. Much quicker that the old alternative of
bakeing the cores.

-mikoberg

Ted Edwards

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
Roger V. Petrella Jr. wrote:

> Okay, I'm kinda dumb here, but what do you use sodium silicate for?

Amongst other uses, as an ingredient in an electrocleaner. See
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/E-CLEAN.TXT

Ted

fou...@prodigy.net

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
If you are going to use it for foundry cores. It should have some sugar
in it so the core will be easier to knock out after casting. The stuff
we get from the foundry supply place has some sugar in it.

--
Bill Nyland
Creative Casting Company

Message has been deleted

zhong...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2018, 4:00:56 AM7/13/18

I have bought this site before, and I don't know whether it is still for sale now. You can contact them by email and ask about the situation.

http://www.chinaglycolicacid.com