How much is 40 lbs of pure nickel wire worth

Ignoramus25972

Feb 9, 2011, 2:05:05 PM2/9/11
This is a high temperature magnet wire that is ceramic coated for
insulation. Made of 99.6% nickel alloy called Nickel 205.

How much is a 40 lbs spool of that worth $$$

thanks

John R. Carroll

Feb 9, 2011, 2:10:09 PM2/9/11

The last time I bought nickel it was Nickel 200.
I paid $76.00 per pound for a 90 lb. blank.
What you have is probably worth about $400.00 as scrap.

--
John R. Carroll

Ignoramus25972

Feb 9, 2011, 2:20:33 PM2/9/11

Where do you scrap this stuff? A while ago, I called some scrap places
and talked to some very ignorant people. They did not know what
inconel was, etc.

John R. Carroll

Feb 9, 2011, 2:53:14 PM2/9/11

I resold the chips made when the blank I refered too was turned to a local
metals dealer. I don't know if you have any sort of material cert. nut I did
and that can add value.
In your situation, I'd call All Metals ( they are a forging house ) and ask
them to refer you to someone in your area.
You could also call your Alma Mater. The lab at Fermi could give you the
information if they still have the budget to answer a phone.
All Metals might even take what you have.
973-276-5000

--
John R. Carroll

Ned Simmons

Feb 9, 2011, 3:00:42 PM2/9/11

The price of nickel has been all over the place the last few years. I
think I paid around $12/lb 4 or 5 years ago for ~99% nickel, while it
was on the way up. I bought about 200# of Inconel 601 (60% nickel) at
$14.50/lb 18 months ago, and expected it to be higher.
http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/nickel_historical.html

--
Ned Simmons

Ignoramus25972

Feb 9, 2011, 3:28:52 PM2/9/11

Got it. Thanks.

I called the company who made this wire and asked how much would it
cost to buy.

The said, that one lb spool of it would cost $600. I almost shit my
pants.

I think that it is for making very high temperature magnets and
such. It is ceramic coated.

John R. Carroll

Feb 9, 2011, 3:33:31 PM2/9/11

That is one use.
Another is cryogenic sensing hardware in an O2 environment.

--
John R. Carroll

Pete C.

Feb 9, 2011, 4:15:31 PM2/9/11

Ignoramus25972 wrote:

> On 2011-02-09, Ned Simmons <ne...@nedsim.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 13:05:05 -0600, Ignoramus25972
> ><ignoram...@NOSPAM.25972.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >>This is a high temperature magnet wire that is ceramic coated for
> >>insulation. Made of 99.6% nickel alloy called Nickel 205.
> >>
> >>How much is a 40 lbs spool of that worth $$$
> >>

> > The price of nickel has been all over the place the last few years. I
> > think I paid around $12/lb 4 or 5 years ago for ~99% nickel, while it
> > was on the way up. I bought about 200# of Inconel 601 (60% nickel) at
> > $14.50/lb 18 months ago, and expected it to be higher.
> > http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/nickel_historical.html
> >

> Got it. Thanks.
>
> I called the company who made this wire and asked how much would it
> cost to buy.
>
> The said, that one lb spool of it would cost $600. I almost shit my
> pants.

Sounds like you can trade your 40# spool in for a new truck...

Edward Hennessey

Feb 9, 2011, 4:16:33 PM2/9/11

"John R. Carroll" <nunyab...@dev.null> wrote in message

So the next step would be calling the purchasing managers at
identified
likely consumers of the product and offering a deal.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

John R. Carroll

Feb 9, 2011, 8:26:30 PM2/9/11

I'm not going to wind one of my superconductors with Iggy's wire.
No offense intended, but my three million dollar insurance policy, something
that's required, would be null and void.

--
John R. Carroll

Ignoramus25972

Feb 9, 2011, 8:42:08 PM2/9/11
>> So the next step would be calling the purchasing managers at
>> identified
>> likely consumers of the product and offering a deal.
>>

> I'm not going to wind one of my superconductors with Iggy's wire.
> No offense intended, but my three million dollar insurance policy, something
> that's required, would be null and void.

I will wind all my superconductors with that wire

Tom Gardner

Feb 9, 2011, 9:01:33 PM2/9/11

"Ignoramus25972" <ignoram...@NOSPAM.25972.invalid> wrote in message

The last time I bought 600 lbs. of Inconel brush wire it was $29.50/lb but there is
some value added to be perfectly straight and in 1" dia. x 48" hanks from the wire
mill. The brushes were for welds on nuclear reactors on subs. I sold the scrap for
$6/lb., but that was 5+ years ago.

John R. Carroll

Feb 10, 2011, 10:12:18 AM2/10/11

LOL
OK, but I was just making a point.
I think you knew that.
When you lose tracability, the value can go down dramatically.
Still, it sounds like you have something pretty valuable on your hands.

It's a shame liquid helium is so expensive ( I think) these days.
You could do cool thinks as experiments.

--
John R. Carroll

Pete C.

Feb 10, 2011, 10:42:28 AM2/10/11

Liquid nitrogen is cheap and available, I use it regularly to make ice
cream :)

Winston

Feb 10, 2011, 3:50:32 PM2/10/11
Pete C. wrote:

(...)

> Liquid nitrogen is cheap and available, I use it regularly to make ice
> cream :)

Say, That Sounds Like Fun! Where do you buy your LN2
and your dewars?

--Winston

Ignoramus14242

Feb 10, 2011, 4:18:13 PM2/10/11

Most welding supply stores have LN

John

Feb 10, 2011, 10:05:40 PM2/10/11

My gas company supplys the dewars, Styrofoam cups work great for
handling the stuff. I think I pay about 35 dollars for five liters.

John

Winston

Feb 10, 2011, 11:03:36 PM2/10/11

Ah. Thanks!

--Winston

Winston

Feb 10, 2011, 11:04:47 PM2/10/11

Very interesting! Thanks!

--Winston

Edward Hennessey

Feb 11, 2011, 3:19:39 AM2/11/11

"Ignoramus25972" <ignoram...@NOSPAM.25972.invalid> wrote in
message news:C76dnXv1V-j8eM_Q...@giganews.com...

I##....:

I've been watching the newsfeed from Russia Today lately.
Aside from expecting a headline like "Narod Goes
to America. Becomes Rich Kulak with Fistful of Nickel",
the propagandistic tone of much of the commentary is
surprising. Is the cold war over yet?

Regards,

Edward Hennessey