Okay, Lost Coast Downtown Brown is the one

Bob Towery

Jan 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/19/97

LC Downtown brown is very tasty. Would love to brew this. I can't find a
recipe on the internet anywhere, but did find a few references (shown
below).

Anybody reverse engineered this one?

I'm an extract brewer, but have a full grain friend who would also like to
make it.

I haven't brewed any of papazians brown ales - maybe one of those is close?

THANKS IN ADVANCE to all you friendly brewers.

bo...@escapetech.com.
(I'm already relaxed, can I still have another homebrew?)

===========================
A few LCDB comments:

Smooth, full-bodied nut brown ale derives its rich color from a hearty
compliment of Roast and Chocolate malts. Don't let its dark color fool you
though, Downtown Brown is lightly hopped with Cascade and Mt. Hood hops.
This means it lacks the bitterness characteristic of a porter or stout
allowing its subtle roast flavors to enjoy the limelight. Downtown Brown's
mild flavors make it an ideal beer to enjoy with food.

16.5 points - Beer #10-0725, The HopYard, Pleasanton CA, January 21, 1995
Deep red. Sweet brown aroma, a little spicy. Reasonably thick body and
brown flavors. Some maple?

•20 points - Beer #01-0064, St.Mary's College Beer Festival, Moraga CA,
June 13, 1993
Nice dark brown, great head. Chocolatey-malty aroma...Cascades? Thick and
smooth. Lots of malt sweetness, but not cloying at all. Mildly bitter
finish. Defines the style...beats Newcastle hands-down.

•Downtown Brown (bottled)
•16.5 points - Beer #19-1522, At home, Kamuela HI, June 19, 1996
Dark red, low carbonation, almost no head. Brown sugar and brown malt
aromas. Very low carbonation, a little bitter. Good malty flavor and brown
malt finish.

Horacio Lertora

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97
to bo...@escapetech.com

Two of our local customers traveled to California a couple of months
ago and had the good fortune of getting ahold of the recipe for this
great Brown Ale. It has become one of our best.

Horacio

Horacio Lertora

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97
to bo...@escapetech.com

rantak

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

>==========Horacio Lertora, 1/21/97==========

Can you please post it here for all to enjoy. Thanks!

Jim Hall

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

In article <01bc062f$60481ea0$a527...@quiknet.com.quiknet.com>,
bo...@escapetech.com says...

>LC Downtown brown is very tasty. Would love to brew this. I can't find a
>recipe on the internet anywhere, but did find a few references (shown
>below).
>
>Anybody reverse engineered this one?
>
>I'm an extract brewer, but have a full grain friend who would also like to
>make it.

Here's the recipe I have. They use 1056 yeast and Great Western Malt. I
trade them a six pack of my homebrew for their yeast often. It's just
down the street from where I work. They actually use Great Western grain
Malt. Good luck!

Downtown Brown Ale Clone

Ingredients:

malt: 6 lbs. Amber malt extract
1 lb light dry malt extract

specialty malt: 0.25 lbs. black patent malt
0.25 lbs. chocolate malt
0.5 lbs Crystal (120L)

boiling hops: 0.5 oz. Chinook hops (60 minutes)
0.5 oz. Cascade hops (30 minutes)

finishing hops: 1 oz. Cascade hops (last 2 minutes of boil)

yeast: American Wyeast

optional: 1/2 teaspoon Irish Moss

Put specialty malts in steep bag and steep in 7 gal of water to 180
degrees and remove. At boil add malt extract and hops as shown
above. This will give your 5 gallons at 1.048 O.G. Add stepped up
1/2 gal of yeast/wort to make 5.5 gallons.

O.G. 1.046 (5.5 gallons)

---------
An award winning mild and nutty brown ale created by Brew Master Barbara
Groom, Downtown Brown is a smooth and full-bodied brew. In the taste you
will notice a blend of chocolate and carmel malts imported from England,
combined with American barley malt. The flavor is further defined by addition
of both Mt. Hood and Cascade hops.

Not overpowering, but an easy, refined brew that compliments almost any food.
Compared by many to Newcastle Brown Ale, this handcrafted microbrew from
the north coast of California will surely please your palate.

Awards won by Lost Coast Brewery's Downtown Brown Ale:
1993 Bronze Medal, Grest American Beer Fest, Denver, Co
1994 First Prize, People's Choice, San Jose, CA
1994 First Prize, Karnival of Beers, Fullerton, CA
1994 First Prize, Inland Valley Festival of Beers, Riverside, CA

PickleMan

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97
to Jim Hall

> Downtown Brown Ale Clone
>
> Ingredients:
>
> malt: 6 lbs. Amber malt extract
> 1 lb light dry malt extract
>
> specialty malt: 0.25 lbs. black patent malt
> 0.25 lbs. chocolate malt
> 0.5 lbs Crystal (120L)
>
> boiling hops: 0.5 oz. Chinook hops (60 minutes)
> 0.5 oz. Cascade hops (30 minutes)
>
> finishing hops: 1 oz. Cascade hops (last 2 minutes of boil)
>

> yeast: American Wyeast
>
> optional: 1/2 teaspoon Irish Moss

I heard once that Downtown doesn't use Black Patent malt. I
tried a clone once using their yeast (which was Wyeast 1056, but that was
probably some time ago. I'm sure its mutated by now as many brewery
yeasts do). Agreat bunch of folks working there no doubt helps to make
this brew so smooth.
Pickleman