Q:Gray Marine Fireball V8-238hp 326 cu in- Who made the block?

Ronald Powers

Jul 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/20/96

sta...@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> I am looking for engine parts for a Gray Marine V8 -238 hp Fireball
> series motor with a displacement of 326 cu in. It is in a century
> resorter.
>
> Does anyone know who made the block? When the engine was built
> (1966-67) Gray was a division of Continental Motors. Did this firm
> make its own engines? And what auto's were these engines used in, if
> any?
>
> Thanks for reading my note.
>
> Bill

I am very familiar with Gray v-8 engines and have a Fireball 188 in mine.
I am not fomiliar with a 326 but I do have a 326 in my 1967 Pontiac
LeMans. Maybe Gray used this engine. Hope this helps. Ron Powers

sta...@ix.netcom.com

Jul 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/20/96

John Ullian

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96
to sta...@ix.netcom.com, j...@worf.evms.edu

I've been told that at one point AMC (in the Nash Rambler days) Made
bolcks for Grays. Guy who told me had one from 1950's -- used to order
Nash parts from JC Whitney catalog for it. But have no more knowledge
than that.

John

Ronald Powers

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96
> JohnI have a 326 in my 1967 Pontiac LeMans.

Rod Mc Innis

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

: John

I'll confirm that.

I had a 1956 Stephens, which had a Gray Marine 238 'Fireball'
engine. When it came time to get a new fuel pump, the old one was
identified as being a Rambler.

Not that it helped find the part, mind you. I ended up getting the
old pump rebuilt.

As far as engine parts, you may be in for a tough time. Keep in
mind that the carberator, manifolds (both intake and exhaust),
distributor, and a few other engine parts won't match up to the
automotive equivalent.

If you are considereing rebuilding the engine, you had best check
with local antique car parts houses.

Rod McInnis

Warrington

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

Bill, As John stated, Pontiac produced thousands of 326 cubic inch engines
for the Tempest/LeMans series in the mid 60's. What seems more than a
coincidence is that "Fireball" Roberts was the famous stock car race driver
from the late 1950's who put Pontiac on the map big time in that era. I'd
certainly think Pontiac would be a place to start looking. Good luck. Rich.

Frank D. Fellenz

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

This may not be such a good assumption. I have a 1966 Correct Craft Tahoe
160 which has a "Fireball" 160 which has a Buick 215 aluminum V-8 block. GM
sold the tooling for this engine to Rover who used it in its original 3.5
liter format and now has it up to 4.0 liters in newer versions.

Frank

John Flaherty

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

sta...@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>I am looking for engine parts for a Gray Marine V8 -238 hp Fireball
>series motor with a displacement of 326 cu in. It is in a century
>resorter.

>Does anyone know who made the block? When the engine was built
>(1966-67) Gray was a division of Continental Motors. Did this firm
>make its own engines? And what auto's were these engines used in, if
>any?

>Thanks for reading my note.

>Bill

The 287cu in and 327 (not 326) cu in grays were American Motors
engines developed and used extensively in Marine use in the late 50's
through mid sixties.
Many internal engine parts are common to automotive equivalents.
Gaskets should still be available through NAPA if not marine certainly
automotive for say a 61 Ambassador?
If you are interested I have a complete marine engine pulled out of a
64 Century Resorter. This motor has water in the oil so it is only a
parts engine as far as I'm concerned.

If you are interested in parts or complete motor (less transmission)
E-mail me at flah...@serv.net
John

John Sabiston

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

John Sabiston

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

>Frank

THe fireball 326 cu in engine was used by American Motors in their
cars . later it was used in the Jeep Wagoniers

JOHN

John Sabiston

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

fdfe...@ccgate.dp.beckman.com (Frank D. Fellenz) wrote:

>In article <4t41p1$q...@news-old.tiac.net> d...@tiac.net (Warrington) writes:

>> Bill, As John stated, Pontiac produced thousands of 326 cubic inch engines
>>for the Tempest/LeMans series in the mid 60's. What seems more than a
>>coincidence is that "Fireball" Roberts was the famous stock car race driver
>>from the late 1950's who put Pontiac on the map big time in that era. I'd
>>certainly think Pontiac would be a place to start looking. Good luck. Rich.

>This may not be such a good assumption. I have a 1966 Correct Craft Tahoe
>160 which has a "Fireball" 160 which has a Buick 215 aluminum V-8 block. GM
>sold the tooling for this engine to Rover who used it in its original 3.5
>liter format and now has it up to 4.0 liters in newer versions.

>Frank

This 326 cu in engine was used in American Motors Cars then later it
was used in the jeeps .
John

travelswi...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2017, 6:11:20 PM8/20/17
These motors used by gray marine referred to as the fireball were based on a AMC 327 cu inch block hp were 177 -235 hp

Gray marine used different heads and cams I have a 1966 century saber full wing with the fireball 4 barrel configuration and need several pushrods can anyone help they have a cup on the rocker arm end and a ball on the other you can reach me at justsailn @ yahoo . Com if you gave any to sell thank yiu

mattdy...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2018, 9:46:47 PM10/20/18
On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 5:11:20 PM UTC-5, travelswi...@gmail.com wrote:
> These motors used by gray marine referred to as the fireball were based on a AMC 327 cu inch block hp were 177 -235 hp
>
> Gray marine used different heads and cams I have a 1966 century saber full wing with the fireball 4 barrel configuration and need several pushrods can anyone help they have a cup on the rocker arm end and a ball on the other you can reach me at justsailn @ yahoo . Com if you gave any to sell thank yiu

Hi justsailn,

I have the pushrods you were looking for last year. If you still need them let me know.
tedd...@verizon.net. -Ted