Drones!

Its Me

Apr 5, 2017, 9:00:49 PM4/5/17
Well, I finally pull the trigger and bought one of these:

<http://www.dji.com/mavic>

I only have a few flights in so far, and just a couple of videos, but wow! It is really a capable platform. 4K video, 12 mega pixel camera, GPS stabilized, etc. Easy to fly. The controller and drone fit in a roughly 5x5x10 soft bag that you can throw over your shoulder and take with you. It's amazing.

waynebatr...@hotmail.com

Apr 5, 2017, 10:24:10 PM4/5/17
On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 18:00:47 -0700 (PDT), Its Me <345...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Well, I finally pull the trigger and bought one of these:
>
><http://www.dji.com/mavic>
>
>I only have a few flights in so far, and just a couple of videos, but wow! It is really a capable platform. 4K video, 12 mega pixel camera, GPS stabilized, etc. Easy to fly. The controller and drone fit in a roughly 5x5x10 soft bag that you can throw over your shoulder and take with you. It's amazing.

===

Cool stuff, keep us posted.

Poco Deplorevole

Apr 6, 2017, 7:32:25 AM4/6/17
On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 18:00:47 -0700 (PDT), Its Me <345...@gmail.com> wrote:

Very nice! Is it heavy enough to require an FAA number?

Does it have the 'follow me' capability? That can make some pretty interesting video.

Its Me

Apr 6, 2017, 8:33:08 AM4/6/17
Yes, you have to register as a drone pilot with the FAA. It has both GPS based and optical follow me, point of interest where it will automatically circle something at a preset altitude and distance, auto return to home, collision avoidance, etc. Pretty much everything a Phantom 4 has. I read on one of the boards that it has a 12 core processor.

Like I said, flying it is easy. Learning the software and features is the time consuming part. Once I take some video good enough to show I'll put it up and post a link.

True North

Apr 6, 2017, 9:08:01 AM4/6/17
Just outlawed within 9km of airports and helipads in this Country.
This effectively bans them on the peninsula because of the three helipads for the southend hospitals and the backup Site at Point Pleasant Park. As usual it's a few idiots ruining it for everyone else.

Its Me

Apr 6, 2017, 10:10:22 AM4/6/17
On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 9:08:01 AM UTC-4, True North wrote:
> Just outlawed within 9km of airports and helipads in this Country.
> This effectively bans them on the peninsula because of the three helipads for the southend hospitals and the backup Site at Point Pleasant Park. As usual it's a few idiots ruining it for everyone else.

Here it's 5 miles, but all you have to do is call the control tower to let them know and you can fly within that area.

Idiots have given drones a bad reputation.

Its Me

Apr 9, 2017, 7:40:29 PM4/9/17
Against my better judgement, here's a link to the 2nd video I took with it. No sound, no editing, no camera tweaks. There's a lot to learn as far as the software and capabilities, and I'm just taking baby steps right now.

This is at about 350ft max. I pause on the lake in the distance with the new dam to the right, and also the skyline of Columbia. It's boring. Enjoy!

<https://youtu.be/SKkP0Jtj7qQ>

Poco Deplorevole

Apr 10, 2017, 4:58:28 PM4/10/17
Are you doing this with FPV, or just estimating the view of the camera. Good job

Its Me

Apr 10, 2017, 6:59:16 PM4/10/17
The controller has a smart device attached, an Apple Mini 4, and the camera image is streamed live to it in 1080 or 720, depending on the signal strength. It shows the camera view or a map view, or can show both. The map view is downloaded and it shows your location and the drone's, so you can, for example, fly a property's borders without even looking at the drone or the image it's taking. I did this looking at the camera image. It's a bad video with large stationary images while I get my bearings and figure out what to do next. And my landing area is small and has overhanging Oak branches so I have to maneuver it out and back in carefully. Like I've said before, flying it in GPS positioning mode is easy, but the vast array of software features and settings has a learning curve. I'll get better with time.

Alex

Apr 10, 2017, 8:25:23 PM4/10/17
I'm surprised how steady that video is. They have come a long way.

gfre...@aol.com

Apr 10, 2017, 8:47:31 PM4/10/17
On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 20:25:17 -0400, Alex <Xe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm surprised how steady that video is. They have come a long way.

These days they can manipulate the image digitally, fixing on a spot
so "steady" is not an issue as long as you can keep it in frame.

Its Me

Apr 11, 2017, 7:49:33 AM4/11/17
That's not what's happening here. Not only is the drone locking in on GPS coordinates and staying there, the camera's gimbals are also stabilized to provide a steady picture. You can see the effect of that early in the video when I'm ascending. The dark "halo" that appears in the top of the frame is actually the camera guard. It's a black bubble that snaps on with a cutout for the lens view. As the gimbal rotates up to compensate for my jerky movement the camera get a glimpse of the edge of the cutout. I'm going to spend a few minutes with a Dremel tool to fix that.

Poco Deplorevole

Apr 11, 2017, 8:28:35 AM4/11/17
You are, of course, using an observer with eyes on the aircraft in accordance with the FAA rules!
And, you're keeping your FAA Certificate of Registration right next to your Concealed Carry Permit
in your wallet. And, of course, your FAA number is imprinted on your aircraft. And...

Friggin' rule-making liberals. Hope Trump overturns some more of that crap.

True North

Apr 11, 2017, 8:41:58 AM4/11/17
Poco Deplorevole
"You are, of course, using an observer with eyes on the aircraft in accordance with the FAA rules!
And, you're keeping your FAA Certificate of Registration right next to your Concealed Carry Permit
in your wallet. And, of course, your FAA number is imprinted on your aircraft. And...

Friggin' rule-making liberals. Hope Trump overturns some more of that crap."

Sure Johnny. Better to let the irresponsible users play around an airport unrestricted to take down a few airliners with little chance of capturing the offenders.
Flush your head...please!

Its Me

Apr 11, 2017, 8:58:02 AM4/11/17
The idiots flying around commercial airliners aren't registering much less putting the numbers on their drones, dummy. Only responsible flyers do those things.

John, I have my card in my wallet and the numbers on the drone.

True North

Apr 11, 2017, 9:29:38 AM4/11/17
All I can say JackOff is that it's a good thing y'all don't live up here. You'd never get a personalized license plate.
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/03/27/Nova-Scotia-mans-name-Grabher-banned-from-license-plate/5511490622353/

Poco Deplorevole

Apr 11, 2017, 10:46:18 AM4/11/17
Do you think irresponsible users will stop just because the FAA says to put a number on your
aircraft?

Talk about a head flush!

Why are you still so fascinated with toilets, flushing, turds, mops, etc. Couldn't you leave that
behind when you retired?

Poco Deplorevole

Apr 11, 2017, 10:47:24 AM4/11/17
What does that have to do with your comment about flying drones, Donnee?

Poco Deplorevole

Apr 11, 2017, 10:48:45 AM4/11/17
Pain in the butt. I put mine in the battery well. Keep the card in the transmitter case. Too much
crap in the wallet.

Its Me

Apr 11, 2017, 1:15:35 PM4/11/17
You're such a simpleton for so many reasons, Donna.

Its Me

Apr 11, 2017, 3:32:00 PM4/11/17
And he's still using "y'all" wrong. Makes him look dumber.

Poco Deplorevole

Apr 11, 2017, 4:04:23 PM4/11/17
I notice he's STFU. He'd appear a lot less stupid if he maintained that policy.

True North

Apr 11, 2017, 4:11:00 PM4/11/17
The John flushes his head....

"I notice he's STFU. He'd appear a lot less stupid if he maintained that policy."

I stated the facts Johnny and made my point. Why pig pile on like y'all continually do.

Poco Deplorevole

Apr 11, 2017, 4:21:38 PM4/11/17
No, you stated some bullshit, along with your name-calling, and got corrected. If you wish to act
like a pig, you'll continue to get piled on.

Remember, you reap what you sow.

True North

Apr 11, 2017, 4:45:46 PM4/11/17
The John flushes his head once more..

"No, you stated some bullshit, along with your name-calling, and got corrected. If you wish to act
like a pig, you'll continue to get piled on.

Remember, you reap what you sow."

Just what"bullshit" did I state, Johnny?

Keyser Soze

Apr 11, 2017, 4:47:28 PM4/11/17
Come on, Don. You know as well as I that Herring is just racist
conservatrash and nothing he posts is worth the read, let alone a comment.

True North

Apr 11, 2017, 5:05:34 PM4/11/17
Keyser Soze
Guess it's foolish to think someone with The John's history can be rehabilitated and made to fly straight.
He is what he is.

Poco Deplorevole

Apr 11, 2017, 5:27:30 PM4/11/17
Read your post and Its Me's post. Maybe you can figure it out. Get Harry to help you.

Poco Deplorevole

Apr 11, 2017, 5:28:09 PM4/11/17
You should say 'thanks' to Harry for his lame attempt to help you.