johnson 9.9 throttle problems

Stefan Gadd

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

I have a Johnson 9.9 hp from 1988. I have had a problem with the throttle
It jams. Under the flywheel there is a sort of disc that turns anticlock-
wise when you turn the hanlde and give gas.
This disc is getting stuck once in a while and I have to press it back
with a screwdriver or something. Any suggestions on what might be the
cause?
Stefan Gadd
sg...@algonet.se

obfixer

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

The "disk" is the mag plate and provides spark advance. It has a bushing in
the center. the fix is to replace the mag plate.
TJ

cusdn

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96
to sg...@algonet.se

That disc is the timing advance. You should remove the flywheel and
see why it is hanging up. While you are in there replace any of the
ignition components ie points if it has them that are corroded as well
as lube it up. You may want to leave this job to the dealer.
THE ENGINE ROOM http://www.ici.net/customers/cusdn