GOOD, BAD & UGLY--Opinions On Regal Boats

John L Moring III

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
Any opinions on Regal boats? Specifically the 29/32' models

Thanks

Larry Weiss

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
I had a terrible time with Regal Boats. (The ng is most likely bored to
death with the story - but you really should check Deja News for the
details. It's all archived there). What's left of my Regal sits in a
scrap yard in Baldwin Harbor.

I know their 32 is a beauty - and fast. I still fantasize about having
one. I came this close. But ...

Others also report bad experiences (check Boat/US). Still others swear
by Regal. Overall, they do have a better than average reputation for
their later models.

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"

Phoenix

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Larry,
That is a very accurate description of their reputation. They did have some
problems in the late 80's early 90's with their hull on one model, but
overall Regal is considered to be a good quality boat.

I would have any used boat, checked out by a surveyor before buying it.

--
Jim

1994 Regal 256 for sale - see ad at
http://www.classifieds2000.com/cgi-cls/ad.exe?P1+C189+R1187463

Larry Weiss <lil...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Larry Weiss

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Phoenix wrote:

> Larry,
> That is a very accurate description of their reputation. They did have some
> problems in the late 80's early 90's with their hull on one model, but
> overall Regal is considered to be a good quality boat.

Make that "several" models - but it did supposedly clear up after the
early 90's, and it did cause them to offer lifetime hull warranties as a
result.

Also, remember that my hull coming apart was only part of the problem.
It was the way their so-called "customer service" people and their
officers handled themselves that really got my dander up. Remember
their posts to this ng? They pulled every trick in the book to try to
back out of any possible legal or ethical responsibility toward their
faulty product, as well as to make me look like a jerk. Only through
the power of rec.boats did they come through with anything at all - and
with that I still lost thousands of $$$$.

> I would have any used boat, checked out by a surveyor before buying it.

Amen to that. And - absurd as it may sound, I would also have any NEW
boat checked out by a surveyor. For the few hundred extra bucks, you
will know what you are getting yourself into (and what you may have to
get yourself out of).

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"

MuryMann

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
Larry,
I had an offer on my DC300 this weekend that I'm leaning toward accepting.
Reason being that Deb & I have been looking at a Regal 320 Commodore (1989) for
a few weeks now. It's owned by a friend who's moving up to a 13m Tiara this
Fall.

We've been on it, I've driven her and I thought it was a real, real nice
cruiser. Please forward by e-mail your entire comments. I'm interested in what
you have to say.

Many Thanks!
BK

Larry Weiss

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
Do Not ... I repeat ... DO NOT buy this boat. 1989 was among Regal's
worst years. They really hadn't yet figured out hull design and
construction for boats bigger than runabouts. Those hulls crack,
delaminate and fall apart. And Regal will not stand behind it without
an awesome fight, if at all. The guy who bought my 1989 Regal for
salvage told me that, in an attempt to create additional cabin space and
attractive interiors, Regal obviously skimped on stringers, bulkheads
and other stiffening measures. A previous surveyor told me the same
thing, as did a well known fibergalss repair shop. I know it's pretty
inside, with all that nice teak wood and stuff, but you are looking at a
potential nightmare, not only with your money, but with your personal
safety. Your friend had been lucky so far.

If you want to read about my personal experience, it is archived here:

http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=376442247&threaded=1&CONTEXT=920381091.425853034&hitnum=22

To follow all the threads that popped up around that post, - check
"Sinking in New York Harbor", "Regal Boats Customer Service Problems"
and other posts at:

http://www.deja.com/dnquery.xp?QRY=regal+customer&DBS=2&ST=PS&defaultOp=AND&LNG=ALL&format=threaded&showsort=subject&maxhits=100&subjects=&groups=rec.boats&authors=&fromdate=&todate=

It's a very long URL (part of Deja News search engines). Make sure you
get it all in there.

If I have not dissuaded you, please make sure you hire the very best
surveyor to look that boat over carefully. Share with him what I have
posted here, and make sure he checks the hull assembly meticulously. If
you choose to buy it anyway, baby it. No big wakes, rough seas or crazy
maneuvers. Remember, your life and the lives of your passengers are
actually at stake here. Good luck.

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"

George Jefferson

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
:Do Not ... I repeat ... DO NOT buy this boat.

and "from a friend" no less, bad move..

--
george jefferson : geo...@sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu
to reply simply press "r"

MuryMann

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
Larry,
I've had nothing but good experiences with Surfside 3 , but my purchase was on
SeaRay, not Regal. I guess no dealer would want to stand behind a product where
the manufacturer spilt, with or without cause.

After reading the threads you pointed to, and having to grown to respect your
opinion, I have decided I'm not that foolish.
Besides.. the Larson is paid for.
Regards,
BK

MuryMann

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
George,
Calm down!! ( nice George... good George ) Larry's string of nightmares
brought me to my senses. Oh…, and the "friend" is also my partner in an outside
business we have run together for better than 6 years. I agree.. Never buy a
boat from a friend, but buying a boat from/with a business partner is a
different situation.

Regardless.. I forwarded him everyone's comments (especially Larry's URL's )
and he might be getting into that Tiara faster than he thought.

Thanks for the guidance, folks.
BK